The Dark Knight Rises TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
TDKR FYC iBook - https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/dark-knight-rises-awards-2012/id587232404

Images from the app -
tumblr_mfgimpxWyz1qheh20o1_1280.png

tumblr_mfgimpxWyz1qheh20o2_1280.png

tumblr_mfgimpxWyz1qheh20o3_1280.png

tumblr_mfgimpxWyz1qheh20o4_1280.png

tumblr_mfgimpxWyz1qheh20o5_1280.png

tumblr_mfgimpxWyz1qheh20o6_1280.png

tumblr_mfgimpxWyz1qheh20o7_1280.png

tumblr_mfgimpxWyz1qheh20o8_1280.png

tumblr_mfgimpxWyz1qheh20o9_1280.png

tumblr_mfgimpxWyz1qheh20o10_1280.png

The book also contains two 5-minute behind-the-scenes featurettes (one of which, the intro to this iBook, has been officially uploaded on Warner's FYC site) and three 15-second FYC TV spots, all of which are DRM-encoded and undecryptable by my usual tools.

I just posted extra high-resolution pictures from the Retina iPad:

http://batman-news.com/2012/12/23/w...ur-consideration-the-dark-knight-rises-ibook/

That image of [blackout]'Little Talia'[/blackout] looking out over the prison is awesome! Very powerful.

Yes. I dont understand anything. Im a frustrated man. A chump , who obviously hates criticism. You hit the nail in the head......

I dont know if its possible to be more condescending :doh:

And the award for irony goes to TEQUILLA!

I don't think it will get nominated for BP, but Warners is trying. I think it has a better shot than The Hobbit or Skyfall, but they'll go with 10 good films, but none of them will be mainstream hits this year (unless ZD30, Django or Les Mis really take off).

I do think it is funny that there are ten nominations now because they snubbed TDK, but TDKR will still not get in. It is a lesser film, but it is surely better than previous nominees like Avatar or The Blind Side. I mean, come on.

I'd call Lincoln and Argo mainstream hits. Lincoln especially, as it looks like it will hit $150 million domestic by the time awards season ends. I'd give Silver Linings Playbook a good chance of breaking out once it goes wide as well.

2012 is a strong year for film. Previous years have been weaker. It's always worth remembering that the Oscars goes year by year. Years like 1975 and 1976 probably had a better group of nominees than this year will.

I think TDKR may have a new competitor for the blockbuster/general audience fav. slot for best pic.

Django Unchained was really good and I think it will take whatever spot people assumed the Hobbit would receive in the best picture category. It also had a huge christmas day opening espeically for an R rated film.

Wait, there are people who think hobbit had a shot at a BP nomination? That movie was barely entertaining, let alone a great movie.

Django was pretty amazing - this coming from somebody who's found his other works painfully overrated.

I think that Rises and The Hobbit are pretty equal quality wise. The Hobbit getting a nom isn't anymore ridiculous than Rises acquiring one IMHO. I don't expect either to get one.

Lincoln and Argo are pretty big mainstream hits. I also think Les Miserables looks more likely than Django to be a huge box office breakout. SLP could do it if it breaks out in January.

I actually think there may be room for a tenth token nomination for a blockbuster if the Academy really, really does snub The Master for its unconventionality or any of the indies like The Sessions. I still maintain TDKR has a better shot than Skyfall or Hobbit--and I have no idea why some think The Avengers has a shot--but my guess is the Academy will fill that tenth slot with a deserving indie. Oh well.

Silver Linings Playbook is a lock for a best picture nom.

Just thought I'd say that because some people in here seem to think a nom is dependent on box office and I'm here to say that it isn't. It's up for the SAG's version of best picture and that means that it's in.

Just thought I'd say that because some people in here seem to think a nom is dependent on box office and I'm here to say that it isn't. It's up for the SAG's version of best picture and that means that it's in.

This. If the SAG likes you, you're in. They make up the largest portion of the Academy.

I think that Rises and The Hobbit are pretty equal quality wise. The Hobbit getting a nom isn't anymore ridiculous than Rises acquiring one IMHO. I don't expect either to get one.

TDKR's reviews were much much more favorable than what the Hobbit has received.

Based on the track record of the LOTR trilogy i think some initially though the Hobbit would follow that path but when the reviews came in it was obviously not going to.

Never said that. Just commenting on how since they moved to ten they need a blockbuster usually. While Argo, Lincoln and likely Les Mis and SLP are all going to be hits (or already are), none are THAT mainstream blockbuster. Though this year is so strong, it may not matter.

Never said that. Just commenting on how since they moved to ten they need a blockbuster usually. While Argo, Lincoln and likely Les Mis and SLP are all going to be hits (or already are), none are THAT mainstream blockbuster. Though this year is so strong, it may not matter.
I think SkyFall has the best chance of filling that blockbuster slot. Bardem is up for a SAG so he should get a supporting nom and I think that he could drag the movie with him. I'm not confident that
SkyFall is going to get in because it's a James Bond movie but it sure has so many things working in it's favor that I wouldn't be surprised to hear it's name come nomination morning.

Honestly I'd be surprised if TDKR gets nom because there are so many other Oscar Friendly films that they could nominate, the movie was well recieved but not as well recieved as TDK, the Academy obviously don't love Nolan and it's not like it was the highest grosser of the franchise or highest grosser of the year.

SLP only cost 20mil to make so I'm sure nobody is going to lose money but the handling of it's release is ****ing ghastly and pisses me off. I think it's box office and Oscar potential has been damaged because it's being treated. like a ****ing art film and it isn't. It is a fantastically acted, quirky romantic comedy. My audience really liked it because it is an entertaining crowdpleaser, it isn't The Master and the studio treating it like it is, is a stupid move.

Rant Over

Last edited:
Remember when Dark Knight (the poster) scoffed violently at the very idea of Django Unchained getting noms? I never understood why.

Wait, there are people who think hobbit had a shot at a BP nomination?
Those that did had a solid precedent: the last Peter Jackson middle Earth film scored eleven fricking Oscars after all. Plus, most people thought it would be better than it was. Alas.

Those that did had a solid precedent: the last Peter Jackson middle Earth film scored eleven fricking Oscars after all. Plus, most people thought it would be better than it was. Alas.

Ha, I meant 'did they think that after actually seeing the film.'

There's no guarantee that there will be 10 slots this year. Especially with the blockbuster vote probably spread over a number of films.

I figure these 8 are in:

Argo
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Moonrise Kingdom
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

If there are other slots, it will be an all out scrum between Beasts of the Southern Wild, The Master, The Dark Knight Rises, Skyfall, The Avengers, Amour, The Hobbit, and The Sessions.

The one advantage The Avengers has is that it's the only film Disney has to push and Hollywood is still mostly a company town.

Also, I do agree that it was stupid to push Silver Linings Playbook like it was a little art film instead of a crowd pleasing romantic comedy. I'm betting that the real push will start once the nominations are announced though.

The Hobbit is a great film, settle down back there.

Skyfall just got a PGA nomination which means it has some guild support. Add to that the SAG nomination that Bardem got. I think that confirms the suspicion among most that if there's a blockbuster that's making the cut, it's Skyfall.

Skyfall just got a PGA nomination which means it has some guild support. Add to that the SAG nomination that Bardem got. I think that confirms the suspicion among most that if there's a blockbuster that's making the cut, it's Skyfall.

And that's just terrible. I like the film a lot but not over Rises.

Doesn't matter anymore. Rises was done a long time ago, in terms of getting any recognition. The anti-Rises circle jerk continues.

Back to the drawing board for Nolan.

avengers has no shot for the Best Picture category... best animated film maybe :woot: :woot:

Exactly. TDKR and The Avengers was never happening. If any Blockbuster. gets in it will be SkyFall.

And that's just terrible. I like the film a lot but not over Rises.

Doesn't matter anymore. Rises was done a long time ago, in terms of getting any recognition. The anti-Rises circle jerk continues.

Back to the drawing board for Nolan.
I thought that SkyFall was better than TDKR and I and a good chunk of people don't hate Rises a lot of people just find it to be inferior to TDK by a big margin and thus are not outraged by it's exclusion from the award season. I would have rather. had it nominated over awful trash like Les Mes.

I think you are mistaken about the um hate circle. I think that very few hate Rises. It's been my experience that it is a well liked film. Some think it's the best of the trillogy, some think that it's great but not as good as TDK and some think that it is good but not as good as Begins or TDK. And some, like myself, think that it is decent but nothing special beyond the performances and a few scenes. I think that only a tiny minority hate the film. You are confusing people not thinking it's the greatest movie of the year with hating it.

Last edited:
Frankly, some of the "fans" did TDKR no favor in the behavior leading up to the release. Death threats to the few critics that gave early negative reviews certainly engendered no goodwill.

TDKR was well reviewed and received, but not as well reviewed and received as TDK. And the competition was tougher this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"