The Dark Knight Rises TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, some of the "fans" did TDKR no favor in the behavior leading up to the release. Death threats to the few critics that gave early negative reviews certainly engendered no goodwill.

TDKR was well reviewed and received, but not as well reviewed and received as TDK. And the competition was tougher this year.

Sometimes it has nothing to do with competition. The Dark Knight not getting a nod had less to do with its competition than with the academy being weary to nominate a comic book film.

The Reader with its 63% RT score got in over TDK with its 94% rt.

If there were potentially 10 slots when TDK came out, TDK would have been nominated. The Reader or no The Reader. That's why the Academy changed the rules.

Skyfall, TDKR, The Avengers, and The Hobbit certainly split the vote of those that would vote for a blockbuster.

Take the hobbit out of there and you may have a point. Which is why I think "Django" may be the academy's go to "popular film" to nominate.

Depending on if it gets an Oscar boost, $200 million domestic is a possibility for Lincoln. That could very easily be the "popular film".

Frankly, some of the "fans" did TDKR no favor in the behavior leading up to the release. Death threats to the few critics that gave early negative reviews certainly engendered no goodwill.

TDKR was well reviewed and received, but not as well reviewed and received as TDK. And the competition was tougher this year.

Some are seriously underestimating the backlash that Nolan's been receiving since he burst onto the world stage.

The more and more his career continues, I just feel, deep down, he's going to be the new Kubrick, in terms of lack of recognition.

I mean, it still amazes me to this day that Kubrick hasn't got an Academy Award for his work. I'm not the most diehard of Kubrick fans but just based on Full Metal Jacket, the Shining, and 2001 alone, that guy should've had 3 Oscars without fail. EASILY.

Not saying Nolan's at that level yet but how does a guy who directs Memento, Knight, and Inception not get a best director nomination? Especially when you look at the competition each year those films were released....

This year is even worse when it comes to giving one film that general audience slot. This isn't even close between the big tentpole films this year. Not even close.

I'm no Rises zealot. It made my top ten of the year but it's down on the list but the balls that Nolan shows in Rises, in terms of the scale and how far he was willing to take the narrative (especially in tone), easily beat out the safe tentpole films that got released this year.

And we all know, and don't deny it or get PC with it, the horrific elephant in the room. It's one of the main reasons why it's not being recognized. Just calling it like I see it.

Skyfall = mixed TDK rip-off.
That's a preposterous statement. They have one plot device in common, and it is one which they share with a dozen other movies.

TDKR was fine but, for me, it is comfortably the weakest film of the trilogy, and so I feel it is undeserving of any awards that were beyond the reach of its two predecessors.

Well, I still think it's better the BB... and equal TDK (maybe, even better).

That's a preposterous statement. They have one plot device in common, and it is one which they share with a dozen other movies.

TDKR was fine but, for me, it is comfortably the weakest film of the trilogy, and so I feel it is undeserving of any awards that were beyond the reach of its two predecessors.

Exactly :up:

Everything is preposterous on the internet. You just need to learn to accept it.

Like your post for example.

Some are seriously underestimating the backlash that Nolan's been receiving since he burst onto the world stage.

The more and more his career continues, I just feel, deep down, he's going to be the new Kubrick, in terms of lack of recognition.

I mean, it still amazes me to this day that Kubrick hasn't got an Academy Award for his work. I'm not the most diehard of Kubrick fans but just based on Full Metal Jacket, the Shining, and 2001 alone, that guy should've had 3 Oscars without fail. EASILY.

Not saying Nolan's at that level yet but how does a guy who directs Memento, Knight, and Inception not get a best director nomination? Especially when you look at the competition each year those films were released....

This year is even worse when it comes to giving one film that general audience slot. This isn't even close between the big tentpole films this year. Not even close.

I'm no Rises zealot. It made my top ten of the year but it's down on the list but the balls that Nolan shows in Rises, in terms of the scale and how far he was willing to take the narrative (especially in tone), easily beat out the safe tentpole films that got released this year.

And we all know, and don't deny it or get PC with it, the horrific elephant in the room. It's one of the main reasons why it's not being recognized. Just calling it like I see it.

You don't think the Producers Guld are in the Nolan hate jerk fest do you? They gave both Inception and TDK their due nomination. Perhaps they felt, as have a lot of people, that it wasn't a good enough film to be warranted a nom over ten more deserving films.

One plot device... And an entire sequence in the middle of the film down to the way it's cut, with the same anarchic villain cutting through the film, and the idea of using a thematically relevant idea to push the film through (which is always commendable, but they didn't really try to make it all that unique, it's got TDK's dna all over it). I still enjoyed the film, but it definitely took many cues from TDK, and frankly the execution was much sloppier, which I don't blame Mendes for- this was only his first attempt at such a blockbuster. But the similarities were distracting and sloppy just as the references to old Bond moments were. I appreciated the ideas, but the execution just didn't deliver for me. Much how some people find TDKR. Only difference for me is that as I continue to dig into TDKR I find more and more layers to explore, which is simply not the case with Skyfall.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Skyfall a lot, it's easily in my top ten for they year, but honestly...I have friends who aren't even huge Bat fans like me that felt it ripped off TDK too much. I don't even think that's the case, but the similarities come off as very overt to plenty of people. The people who told me this weren't even aware that Mendes mentioned TDK as an influence. Just the way it is.

Is there really anybody in the world who didn't think of Joker locked up in the MCU when Bardem's character was stretching as his escape was about to happen? The pacing was nearly identical.

You don't think the Producers Guld are in the Nolan hate jerk fest do you? They gave both Inception and TDK their due nomination. Perhaps they felt, as have a lot of people, that it wasn't a good enough film to be warranted a nom over ten more deserving films.

Not talking about them....

i thought skyfall was terrible, but apparently many don't think so.

tdkr's chances don't look good.

I dont really get the argument that Rises should no be nominated because it's predecessors were more deserving,if we agree to this then Skyfall shouldn't be nominated either because the film that inspired it's creation couldn't get nominated.

That doesn't follow at all.

Firstly, you are equating "inspiration" with direct precedence in a sequence of films by the same director, intended to form a trilogy. By that logic, Heath Ledger shouldn't have got any awards that Cesar Romero didn't.

Secondly, the "inspirational" qualities of Nolan's trilogy are naively over-estimated here. Of course it has had an influence on most subsequent action/thrillers, but it does not follow that all other movies flow from it. TDK itself was heavily influenced by 'Heat'. That does not mean that the two movies are bonded into the same artistic enterprise, nor does it make TDKR a "rip off".

Is there really anybody in the world who didn't think of Joker locked up in the MCU when Bardem's character was stretching as his escape was about to happen? The pacing was nearly identical.
It reminded me quite a bit of Hannibal Lector's escape in 'The Silence of the Lambs', too, which is clearly where the glass tank motif was lifted from.

It is a common enough plot device. TDKR does not occupy some privileged position whereby it enjoys owner's rights on trite movie plot devices.

Skyfall was pretty MEH, it should not be nominated.

I dont really get the argument that Rises should no be nominated because it's predecessors were more deserving,if we agree to this then Skyfall shouldn't be nominated either because the film that inspired it's creation couldn't get nominated.

I thought the argument was that Rises didn't deserve a nomination because it wasn't a good enough film on its own in context of its competition (admittedly far superior to TDK's).

IMO this year more than 10 films are probably deserving of a nomination, but of course some of them are more catered to the Academy's tastes than others.

Skyfall has the benefit of riding the Bond 50th anniversary wave which seems to be overtaking the TDK trilogy finale wave.

I think the 50th Anniversary thing is helping SkyFall. Eventhough I'm predicting it to get a best pic nom I expect to be wrong. The PGA nominated TDK and it didn't get a best pic nom so I think there is a good chance the same thing happens to Bond.

Well the academy is rumored to be planning a Tribute to Bond this year, so anything is possible .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"