• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
The director doesn't decide what Villians are going to be in the movie

Where'd you learn that? The director runs the show, not the producer(s). Sometimes producers interfere, but the director is supposed to be the person in charge.

Where'd you learn that? The director runs the show, not the producer(s). Sometimes producers interfere, but the director is supposed to be the person in charge.

So that gives him the right to totally destroy one of the most iconic Villians on an excuse that he 'didn't understand him' ?

So that gives him the right to totally destroy one of the most iconic Villians on an excuse that he 'didn't understand him' ?

The directors and writers normally, and that's normally, decide what villains will be in it. If the producers have a say it is still on the writers and director to come up with the story to best serve the villain which is why I've always said that no matter what a producer imposes on you, it's your job to make something out of it cause ultimately, it's your movie at the end of the day especially if you have a writing credit

In a perfect world, yes, that would be the case. But in large tent pole films and franchises such as this, the studio has control - the directer is a hired gun, paid to make the movie that the studio wants to be made, and the producers are the mouth piece for the studio (and most times, the movie is the producer's idea, they are the ones who want to make it, and they are the ones who convince the studio to fund it; they are the ones who commission the script, hire a director, etc). In the chain of command, it is the Studio, then the Producers, and THEN the director.

Studios give creative freedom to the director only as they see fit because money is the name of the game, and studios do NOT want to risk losing their money by letting directors do what they please. It takes a VERY good director with an extremely good and proven track record to get more control over the film they're making.

Raimi totally destroyed Venom? How? Venom is a one note villain: the combination of the symbiote with a guy who hates Peter Parker. Venom's only motivation is hurting Peter for the anger both parts of the character feel towards Peter/Spider-Man. Last I checked, Raimi incorporated that, as well as the black suit, big teeth and tongue we all love. The story might have been poor, but the essence of the character was intact.

"@MarcW: Day 68. The Amazing Spider-Men."
o7n9yw.jpg

^ That's cute. And slightly better look at the web shooters.

Speaking of web shooters:
I think it's a cool idea that they added the visible trigger pad on his palm glove.
Does anyone else think those two parallel white things on the shooters will flash like in TASM?

i like that you can see the button on his gloves that shoots the webs

You know guys, I don't think we'll see Rhino in this movie.

I think they are just going to introduce Aleksei here and Spidey locks him up in prison. Later in a future movie he will maybe return as Rhino with the sinister six to take revenge on Spidey. I certainly wouldn't mind this tbh.

The director doesn't decide what Villians are going to be in the movie

The producers wanted Venom,it was his job to understand him and make him good on the big screen.Its just a cowardly excuse that he didn't understand him.
If he really didn't,he should've stepped down and let someone else take his place

If the directors didn't decide which villain to use, then The Riddler would have definitely been the villain for TDKR since the studio desperately wanted to use him, lol. I don't buy that very flawed logic at all. It is mostly the director, and sometimes the writers behind it as well, that picks the villain(s) that suits the film best.

And it was definitely not Sam Raimi's job to "understand" Venom when he just wasn't a fan. I wouldn't want to write in a villain if I wasn't a fan and if I didn't understand this one-trick pony of a villain.

Imagine tomorrow a director coming on to make a Batman movie and saying that he wont be using The Joker because he doesn't understand him!!

tumblr_mboq1m3MlS1qgxs0l.gif

Her name was always going to be hardy even as vulturess. You can still be someone's daughter and have a different last name. Her mother probably remarried and didn't want to be associated with her "jail bird" father. Believe what you wish he wouldn't come on here even if i begged him (he hates fanboys ) but you can try to dig up when i durst let everyone know about new goblin and i posted a pic of the spidey 3 production hat he gave me...

Any hints on where you let everyone know about it so I know where to start my search?

Sorry still paints raimi like a moron

Venom is a pretty simple villain to get that many understand whom never grew up with him......

Don't kid yourself

So would I be a moron if I was told to write Hydro-Man into a film I was directing when I don't know a thing about him?

He had his mind set on Vulture and Sandman and wrote a film around them, then was told to replace Vulture with a villain that he didn't understand, didn't get how a one-trick pony could be used well and just didn't even like him as he was never a fan.

like raimi making the goblin look like a power ranger reject, doc ock being raimis version of doc connors, sandman killing uncle ben, venom, the brand new villian raimi created for harry.. surfer dude or something :oldrazz:, and don't get me started on batman :oldrazz:

your digs just dig your own grave sometimes :oldrazz:

Still a better Doctor Connors than even Doctor Connors in TAS-M :awesome:

But, I'll bite since you thought you dug up my grave...

Green Goblin was going to have a different costume, but it just didn't fit right with what they were doing. Still, Willem Dafoe portrayed a GREAT Norman Osborn who's only fault in the film was the costume. Not too bad if I say so myself.

Giving Doc Ock a meaningful story that worked well is not too bad either.

Sandman killing Uncle Ben IS a bad move...but that's not understanding a character; it's trying to tie something back to something else and that was a bad move. To say it's not understanding a villain is bogus my friend, lol.

The past subject has been about Raimi not understanding Venom so you didn't get me there :funny:

Harry was still a Goblin, just awful clothing.

And please, lay out your complaints for Batman...I can take time in shooting those down too :cwink:

You know guys, I don't think we'll see Rhino in this movie.

I think they are just going to introduce Aleksei here and Spidey locks him up in prison. Later in a future movie he will maybe return as Rhino with the sinister six to take revenge on Spidey. I certainly wouldn't mind this tbh.

giving Paul Giamatt is pictured reading an amazing spiderman Comic with rhino as the villian, im guessing he is researching the role as it were

so i really do think we will see rhino at some point in this film, and judging by pictures its possible if not likely spidey doesn't catch him

giving Paul Giamatt is pictured reading an amazing spiderman Comic with rhino as the villian, im guessing he is researching the role as it were

so i really do think we will see rhino at some point in this film, and judging by pictures its possible if not likely spidey doesn't catch him

I think Giamatti was trolling the fans directly. I don't think that's a good proof that we're seeing Rhino on screen.

That doesn't exclude him either...

Anno_Domini said:
Still a better Doctor Connors than even Doctor Connors in TAS-M :awesome:

But, I'll bite since you thought you dug up my grave...

Green Goblin was going to have a different costume, but it just didn't fit right with what they were doing. Still, Willem Dafoe portrayed a GREAT Norman Osborn who's only fault in the film was the costume. Not too bad if I say so myself.

Giving Doc Ock a meaningful story that worked well is not too bad either.

Sandman killing Uncle Ben IS a bad move...but that's not understanding a character; it's trying to tie something back to something else and that was a bad move. To say it's not understanding a villain is bogus my friend, lol.

The past subject has been about Raimi not understanding Venom so you didn't get me there :funny:

Harry was still a Goblin, just awful clothing.

And please, lay out your complaints for Batman...I can take time in shooting those down too :cwink:

connors was perhaps more like in the comics then any of raimi's, if not in the same league as some of the better raimi villians

the lizard looked the part of the early look of the lizard from the comic, Connors was a good guy turned bad by the serum, you didn't see his family? didn't mean they were not there (deleted scene), and the idea of turning everyone into lizards is a comic plot

you just like to take digs every so often at TASM, when you really haven't got anything apart from your own personal dislike, which usually stands out as you being the only one

p.s harry wasn't any sort of goblin in SM3

Last edited:
I think Giamatti was trolling the fans directly. I don't think that's a good proof that we're seeing Rhino on screen.

That doesn't exclude him either...

Ok wel lets put it another way if he escapes with this serum that hints at somethings gonna happen, and if the sinister 6 is done at some point im guessing they will bring in already established villians, which was pretty much the point of the comic i believe, unless we don't see the rhino at all then this is all pointless

and to say they will save him for a 3rd? seems no different from using him in this film, after all electro may be known as a B villain in many ways, so another back up villian wouldn't hurt but actually make a more exciting film, esp when you look at 2014 competition (Xmen DOPF,TMNT)

I definitely wouldn't say Webb didn't understand Lizard in the same sense that Raimi didn't understand Venom. As far as I'm concerned, Connors was only missing a family. Venom was missing the personality, started screaming like a dinosaur, kept revealing his face every minute, Eddie Brock was not really faithful to the comics, terrible character development for Brock, and Venom just never became the badass villain that he is in the comics.

I hope you have some sort of spy camera on you. :argh:

So he's still attached to the movie? Nice.

Well, if we don't hear from you again. We know what happened.

Nathan's right, if this is the last we hear from you...we'll know what happened.

But AWESOME!

Wait, wait, MICHAEL MASSEE IS STILL IN!?

That's big news right there, boy!

I want to tweet about Michael Massee but I'm afraid and apprehensive of the repercussions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"