Age of Ultron The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 5 - - - - - - - - - - - Part 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could compare it to Lethal Weapon 1 and 2, just with more people from a relationship standpoint. Riggs and Murtaugh went through their trials and tribulations but by the end they came to an understanding. In the sequel you can jump right into action.

There were so many things about those recent "spoilers" that I found entirely questionable and this here hits on the biggest one for me. I doubt that the movie would open with the whole team immediately back together and on a mission, at that. That just seems terrible from a narrative standpoint. I'm sure forming the team won't take as long as it did in the first one where they were all first meeting each other, but imo it *should* take a little bit of time and even be a slightly awkward process easing everyone back together, no? I'm just thinking about what that quote of Whedon's that went something like "can these people actually stand each other."

Whedon said his model for a secuel structure was Godfather part II. A LOT has happened between part 1 and 2, i mean, tons, plotwise and character wise, its by no means a Next day tipe of continuation, new allies, new home, years have passedd, cahracters have changed, but you dont need to see a movie to explain it to you between part 1 and 2. Its all in the movie.

Fury said they would come back when they needed them. With SHIELD down and Hydra still out, thats a big need for them. I can totally see them starting the movie together on a mission the same way Michael is in Nevada now, has been trying to go legal for years, left control of New York to leutenents , has a big business planned with Roth in Cuba and a lot of stuff that comes without progressive build up and yet in the movie fits likea glove and you never feel lost in Coppolas script. You start in the middle of things but you are very carefully guiding the viewer to understand how things ended this way and let them progresively fill the dots.

At least, thats one way to read Whedons comments. Doesnt mean it will happen this way. :cwink:

New thread time! I wonder how many we will be up to by the time the actual movie releases?

I can totally see them starting the movie together on a mission the same way Michael is in Nevada now, has been trying to go legal for years, left control of New York to leutenents , has a big business planned with Roth in Cuba and a lot of stuff that comes without progressive build up and yet in the movie fits likea glove and you never feel lost in Coppolas script. You start in the middle of things but you are very carefully guiding the viewer to understand how things ended this way and let them progresively fill the dots.

At least, thats one way to read Whedons comments. Doesnt mean it will happen this way. :cwink:

Personally I'm not a fan of that. I'd prefer to see them re-unite.

so I was right. Hawkeye is just a regular human that can aim good. They need to explain how he's able to shoot down flying objects without even looking at the target because unexplained, that scene was bogus and hokey

They really don't. its called peripheral vision and a trick shot. During a skeet match my friend shot the 24th clay from the hip without looking and then aimed and took out 25

Personally, im not SPECIALLY keen on neither. They are both proven storytelling techniques and well done are great storytelling, wich is the only thing that i want. Unless some here (and i dont mean there is anything wrong with that) im less about "i want this" check list and just "give me a great movie" (i know that in the end thats all we all want, but you get my gist). Again, nothing bad with the check list, i get it, its cool, just not my personal thing.

Whedons done it though already, the Godfather route, mostly in BUffy. A good example is Anne, the first episode of season 3 after the cliffhanger of season 2. Start just in the middle of things and let the episode tell you how we got there. That and his comments about his sequel model makes me think that your preference might not be the one he chooses, but it still can go either way, frankly, and we all know The Avengers wasnt told from Caps point of view after all... things change.

New thread time! I wonder how many we will be up to by the time the actual movie releases?
Probably not that many. This thread moves really slowly for such a popular film. The main BvS thread is on Part 65 for comparison ( a bit too fast to keep up with conversations actually). And other single hero forums seem busier at a comparable time before release. I have no idea why given Avengers 1 is obviously the most watched film of them all up till now.

^Comic Con's just around the corner so I imagine things will pick up around here then. :)

Personally, im not SPECIALLY keen on neither. They are both proven storytelling techniques and well done are great storytelling, wich is the only thing that i want. Unless some here (and i dont mean there is anything wrong with that) im less about "i want this" check list and just "give me a great movie" (i know that in the end thats all we all want, but you get my gist). Again, nothing bad with the check list, i get it, its cool, just not my personal thing.

Whedons done it though already, the Godfather route, mostly in BUffy. A good example is Anne, the first episode of season 3 after the cliffhanger of season 2. Start just in the middle of things and let the episode tell you how we got there. That and his comments about his sequel model makes me think that your preference might not be the one he chooses, but it still can go either way, frankly, and we all know The Avengers wasnt told from Caps point of view after all... things change.

I'm waiting to see how it's written, personally. Honestly, I can see the pros/cons of both ideas. I think I might actually lean toward the Godfather II approach, that they've already been working together for some time and have developed a rapport. Then again, I think I'm mostly interested in getting right to the team dymanics and seeing the friendships pan out.

Probably not that many. This thread moves really slowly for such a popular film. The main BvS thread is on Part 65 for comparison ( a bit too fast to keep up with conversations actually). And other single hero forums seem busier at a comparable time before release. I have no idea why given Avengers 1 is obviously the most watched film of them all up till now.

Very strange. I can only attribute it to the fact that WB/DC's decisions generate a little more controversy than other franchises, with maybe the exception being Star Wars. Also, Superman/Batman and JL, I think, are more popular/iconic on these fanboards, though the movie grosses seem to tell a different story.
Regardless, I like the calm pace of these boards, and the fact that we are relatively troll-free :)

On the other hand, the first movie already did the whole "get the band together" thing, and it was a lot of people's least favorite part of the movie (I liked it personally, but can see where they're coming from). So if they do it again in this movie, then it could come off as "more of the same" and "been there, done that."

It's usually pretty calm here, nice change of pace after being in the TMNT threads.

That is because in the other films there is a lot of controversy with casting and people are impatient to see what will happen, if we look for example at BvS, that movie went from MoS2 to the first step in the WB/DC attempt to expand fast their universe.
This movie, will get a lot of buss as they start promoting it, but there is not a lot to discuss now since all info is very tight locked, the spoilers leaks sound odd, I wouldn´t doubt Marvel is releasing all this info so steer the pot, but also to keep locked the real plot.
And another example: how many people were discussing TWS before it came out and look how well it did... buss in the internet doesn´t translate to success in the theaters.

I think a lot of that has to do with how much is happening with BvS at any given time. It's morphed into a completely different movie than it was originally expected to be, and they keep revealing new casting for major DC characters all the time.

This, in comparison, is a pretty straightforward production that was planned as soon as TA was done and hasn't really had any dramatic surprises in development. While we don't know the whole plot, we have a much better idea of what to expect with this than BvS and other solo heroes' first installments, so there's less to debate and speculate on.

Last edited:
Very strange. I can only attribute it to the fact that WB/DC's decisions generate a little more controversy than other franchises, with maybe the exception being Star Wars. Also, Superman/Batman and JL, I think, are more popular/iconic on these fanboards, though the movie grosses seem to tell a different story.
Regardless, I like the calm pace of these boards, and the fact that we are relatively troll-free :)

It's usually pretty calm here, nice change of pace after being in the TMNT threads.
I prefer the atmosphere and general lack of arguments here but the pace is a little slow for my liking when there's no news. A few more regulars with a similar mindset and this place would be perfect.

That is because in the other films there is a lot of controversy with casting and people are impatient to see what will happen, if we look for example at BvS, that movie went from MoS2 to the first step in the WB/DC attempt to expand fast their universe.
This movie, will get a lot of buss as they start promoting it, but there is not a lot to discuss now since all info is very tight locked, the spoilers leaks sound odd, I wouldn´t doubt Marvel is releasing all this info so steer the pot, but also to keep locked the real plot.
And another example: how many people were discussing TWS before it came out and look how well it did... buss in the internet doesn´t translate to success in the theaters.
I can understand that about the controversy, although 65 parts in something recently announced and 2 years out only happens when it's hyperactive even during the downtimes with no news. Avengers 1 was a similarly complex 1st time ever project bringing all these films together and it was also relatively quiet throughout its forum life. I was always amazed at the low forum viewing figures relative to what I thought were smaller properties. Also we've had big news like the Hulk Vs Hulkbuster concept art, set photos and set videos, and all the new character unveils/reveals so I thought/hoped it would be busier. Edit: Oh and I know it doesn't correlate to box office as I said Avengers 1 is by far the biggest grossing film and wasn't that popular in terms of forum viewers or post quantities. Have just always found it a bit confusing. :yay:

I think a lot of that has to do with how much is happening with BvS at any given time. It's morphed into a completely different movie than it was originally expected to be, and they keep revealing new casting for major DC characters all the time.

This, in comparison, is a pretty straightforward production that was planned as soon as TA was done and hasn't really had any dramatic surprises in development. While we don't know the whole plot, we have a much better idea of what to expect with this than BvS and other solo heroes' first installments, so there's less to debate and speculate on.
I definitely agree with all that but this place seems quiet even compared to non BvS forums given the vast differences in box office. It should be one of the most popular places on the Hype surely. There also don't seem to be that many individual regulars here. You guys can probably tell me better from how busy the other forums you post in are.

They really don't. its called peripheral vision and a trick shot. During a skeet match my friend shot the 24th clay from the hip without looking and then aimed and took out 25

LoL peripherals my ass, he wasn't looking at all.

And I don't care about you and your friends having skeet matches with each other.

I definitely agree with all that but this place seems quiet even compared to non BvS forums given the vast differences in box office. It should be one of the most popular places on the Hype surely. There also don't seem to be that many individual regulars here. You guys can probably tell me better from how busy the other forums you post in are.
Well I can only speak for myself and say that I don't frequent this board as often as others because this is one project I don't worry about or feel the need to speculate on. I trust Joss completely as I'm a long-time fan and frankly, I'd be happy to go into this with my eyes closed and completely clueless. That said, I'll probably start spending more time here once GotG comes out. That's the MCU film I'm focused on now since it's the biggest mystery/gamble they've done yet. I think this board will likely become more of an "MCU hub" after that movie's released - not just for the groundwork that movie will lay for future Avengers stuff, but also because I'm betting we'll have an AoU teaser to chew on.

I prefer the atmosphere and general lack of arguments here but the pace is a little slow for my liking when there's no news. A few more regulars with a similar mindset and this place would be perfect.

I can understand that about the controversy, although 65 parts in something recently announced and 2 years out only happens when it's hyperactive even during the downtimes with no news. Avengers 1 was a similarly complex 1st time ever project bringing all these films together and it was also relatively quiet throughout its forum life. I was always amazed at the low forum viewing figures relative to what I thought were smaller properties. Also we've had big news like the Hulk Vs Hulkbuster concept art, set photos and set videos, and all the new character unveils/reveals so I thought/hoped it would be busier. Edit: Oh and I know it doesn't correlate to box office as I said Avengers 1 is by far the biggest grossing film and wasn't that popular in terms of forum viewers or post quantities. Have just always found it a bit confusing. :yay:

I had no idea the BvS thread was that fast, I don't venture over there. Make mine Marvel all day every day. I think they are cramming too many people in that movie for what will amount to glorified cameos and it will be a mess IMO. But back on topic, I joined around the time of the Avengers, went from a lurker to a poster. Really seems like the crazies come out in the DC stuff so I'm glad for the most part I haven't had to see any MCU forums descend into madness

It would be funny if The Avengers all lived in the tower when the movie starts and they have breakfast together, then get a call from Fury and go on the first mission.

Has Scarlet Witch ever been able to create Blink-type portals? I was just watching the final act of DOFP and I felt Wanda could produce similar feats.

Last edited:
I mean her powers have always been up to whoever is writing her, but she has teleported a few times...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"