Infinity War The Avengers: Infinity War The Official News and Speculation - - - - - - - - - - - Part 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent point! You can have stakes without death. In Star Wars the stake is turning to dark side and/or losing limbs.

Sure, but even Darth Vader killed Obi-Wan. You can have stakes without death, but death makes the threat more real.

Some of the best villains in the MCU are also the ones who have killed prominent supporting characters, like Loki and Killmonger. Hell, even Ultron killed Quicksilver.

About Hela and Ultron killing the Warriors Three and Quicksilver, those deaths felt so superfluous and perfunctory. The Warriors Three are just randomly and casually killed after having almost no presence in the films and then they are immediately forgotten. And Quicksilver's death was nothing more than Whedon meeting his death quota. He even shot Wanda and others' death scenes because he didnt know who he would kill off until post production.

None of those deaths raised the stakes in any meaningful way. They just removed potentially interesting characters from the MCU.

Sure, but even Darth Vader killed Obi-Wan. You can have stakes without death, but death makes the threat more real.

Some of the best villains in the MCU are also the ones who have killed prominent supporting characters, like Loki and Killmonger. Hell, even Ultron killed Quicksilver.

I don’t see death as a requirement for good storytelling. Besides death is never permenant around the soul stone anyway. It eats souls, any it can get. Any death that happens around it and the soul of the person dying ends up sucked inside the stone into a different world within the stone. Both Adam Warlock and Gamora have returned to life after dying and being inside the stone in the comics *shrug*.

Agreed. Markus and McFeely themselves stated that death was a lazy way of creating a stake at SDCC after Civil War. For me the most effective stakes are the psychological, not the physical. Like Civil War.

There are things worse than death. And those stones can make the characters wish they were dead. If you asked Adam Warlock if he’d rather die than become Magus, I’d like to think he’d choose the latter.

It largely depends on the story you want to tell. Marcus and McFeely said that killing Cap in Civil War would've ruined the story they wanted to tell. The movie was about the Avengers splitting up and breaking apart. It wasn't about that and THEN one of the characters dies. That wasn't the story they were trying to tell.

KevTravels said:
So Mackie is on some talk shows next week? This dude is so entertaining when he's talking about Marvel.

any sightings of Cheadle? He's not filming anything nor is he doing any announced promotion as of yet. Where WM at?

Avengers: Infinity War Press Tour

April 4: São Paulo, Brazil (Chris Pratt).
April 5: Mexico City, Mexico (Mark Ruffalo, Joe Russo & Victoria Alonso).
April 8: London, UK (Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Bettany, Elizabeth Olsen, Sebastian Stan, Tom Hiddleston, Letitia Wright, Anthony Russo & Joe Russo).
April 10: Edinburgh, UK (Joe Russo).
April 12: Seoul, South Korea (Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, Tom Holland & Pom Klementieff).
April 16: Singapore (Robert Downey Jr., Benedict Cumberbatch, Karen Gillian & Joe Russo).
April 16: Japan (Tom Holland & Anthony Russo).
April 19: Shanghai, China (Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo, Tom Holland & Tom Hiddleston).
April 23: Los Angeles, United States (Avengers: Infinity War World Premiere).

TV

April 6: The Graham Norton Show (Tom Holland).
April 9: Good Morning America (Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Holland & Tom Hiddleston)
April 10: Kinowetter (Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, Letitia Wright, Sebastian Stan, Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany, Tom Holland, Anthony & Joe Russo).
April 18: LIVE with Kelly and Ryan (Letitia Wright).
April 18: The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Letitia Wright).
April 20: LIVE with Kelly and Ryan (Anthony Mackie)
April 20: The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Anthony Mackie)
April 20: The Graham Norton Show (Benedict Cumberbatch).
April 23: Late Night with Seth Meyers (Chris Evans).
April 24: The Late Late Show with James Corden (Anthony Mackie)
April 24: The Ellen DeGeneres Show (Scarlett Johansson).
April 25: The Late Late Show with James Corden (Mark Ruffalo)
April 25: The Ellen DeGeneres Show (Dania Gurira).
April 26: The Ellen DeGeneres Show (Chris Hemsworth).
April 26: Conan (Chris Pratt, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Hemsworth & Anthony Mackie)
April 27: The Ellen DeGeneres Show (Benedict Cumberbatch).

6 days omg. Now i feel like eating any leaks, any spoilers, TV spots, rumors throwing at me.

It largely depends on the story you want to tell. Marcus and McFeely said that killing Cap in Civil War would've ruined the story they wanted to tell. The movie was about the Avengers splitting up and breaking apart. It wasn't about that and THEN one of the characters dies. That wasn't the story they were trying to tell.

I remember some people were thinking Cap would die in Civil War and be resurrected with the Soul Stone in Infinity War. Good thing that didn't happen otherwise it would have felt really cheap. :o

(Boy, will I look stupid if that's exactly what ends up happening in Infinity War, huh?)

About Hela and Ultron killing the Warriors Three and Quicksilver, those deaths felt so superfluous and perfunctory.

That wasn't my point. My point was that when even two of the lesser villains got to kill actual characters, there's no scenario where everyone walks away from Thanos and somehow he's still viewed as the ultimate threat that was worth building up to for 10 years. Someone's gonna bite it.

I don’t see death as a requirement for good storytelling. Besides death is never permenant around the soul stone anyway. It eats souls, any it can get. Any death that happens around it and the soul of the person dying ends up sucked inside the stone into a different world within the stone. Both Adam Warlock and Gamora have returned to life after dying and being inside the stone in the comics *shrug*.

That assumes the Soul Stone would still be in play after this.

Univision's Despierta América (Winston Duke & Anthony Mackie):

[YT]fMgd9RP-1kg[/YT]

That wasn't my point. My point was that when even two of the lesser villains got to kill actual characters, there's no scenario where everyone walks away from Thanos and somehow he's still viewed as the ultimate threat that was worth building up to for 10 years. Someone's gonna bite it.

That assumes the Soul Stone would still be in play after this.

I don't think the baseline of Thanos's abilities should be based on the perfunctory actions of other villains. The Russo's shouldn't be creating Thanos and creating these stories based on a curve. They shouldn't be thinking, "Oh this villain did this in a previous film so Thanos has to do at least this."

And those other two villains couldn't snap their fingers and annihilate half of the universe. So whether any of the main characters die or not has no bearing on Thano's perceived power. He is the ultimate threat. That's not even debatable.

Last edited:
[YT]Oj1xGpi0fjY[/YT]

I don't think the baseline of Thanos's abilities should be based on the perfunctory actions of other villains.

This is the big boss. The guy we've been waiting ten years for. If he's not anymore menacing or effective than Ultron, what was the point?

Someone's gotta go. Thankfully, the Russos seem to have grasp this, as everything they've said has indicated we will be getting deaths.

Wonder if M'Baku and Hulk will be friends? They can have a bark off.

Avengers: Infinity War Press Tour

April 4: São Paulo, Brazil (Chris Pratt).
April 5: Mexico City, Mexico (Mark Ruffalo, Joe Russo & Victoria Alonso).
April 8: London, UK (Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Bettany, Elizabeth Olsen, Sebastian Stan, Tom Hiddleston, Letitia Wright, Anthony Russo & Joe Russo).
April 10: Edinburgh, UK (Joe Russo).
April 12: Seoul, South Korea (Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, Tom Holland & Pom Klementieff).
April 16: Singapore (Robert Downey Jr., Benedict Cumberbatch, Karen Gillian & Joe Russo).
April 16: Japan (Tom Holland & Anthony Russo).
April 19: Shanghai, China (Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo, Tom Holland & Tom Hiddleston).
April 23: Los Angeles, United States (Avengers: Infinity War World Premiere).

TV

April 6: The Graham Norton Show (Tom Holland).
April 9: Good Morning America (Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Holland & Tom Hiddleston)
April 10: Kinowetter (Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, Letitia Wright, Sebastian Stan, Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany, Tom Holland, Anthony & Joe Russo).
April 18: LIVE with Kelly and Ryan (Letitia Wright).
April 18: The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Letitia Wright).
April 20: LIVE with Kelly and Ryan (Anthony Mackie)
April 20: The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Anthony Mackie)
April 20: The Graham Norton Show (Benedict Cumberbatch).
April 23: Late Night with Seth Meyers (Chris Evans).
April 24: The Late Late Show with James Corden (Anthony Mackie)
April 24: The Ellen DeGeneres Show (Scarlett Johansson).
April 25: The Late Late Show with James Corden (Mark Ruffalo)
April 25: The Ellen DeGeneres Show (Dania Gurira).
April 26: The Ellen DeGeneres Show (Chris Hemsworth).
April 26: Conan (Chris Pratt, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Hemsworth & Anthony Mackie)
April 27: The Ellen DeGeneres Show (Benedict Cumberbatch).

We're down to the final tour stop before Los Angeles!!!

So close, yet so far away.

My daughter has some kind of after school program that day! Supposed to end at 5:30. We're not out of the parking lot by 6, she's going to be getting an uber home. Lol. Thank goodness for reserved seating. But I still want to get there early.

So close, yet so far away.

My daughter has some kind of after school program that day! Supposed to end at 5:30. We're not out of the parking lot by 6, she's going to be getting an uber home. Lol. Thank goodness for reserved seating. But I still want to get there early.

Even if you're 10 minutes late with reserved seating, you'll be fine. I imagine there'll be a lot of trailers attached to this. When I saw GOTG Vol 2 there were about 25 minutes of them.

Do you find it odd not seeing Gamora? Is she separated from Star-Lord's group and also Thor's group and goes on a mission herself?

Or does she die...

Agreed.

This whole "stakes" thing strikes me as a fake complaint. When has it ever been required in storytelling that the hero die? It's the opposite. We've known for centuries that the hero is going to live 99% of the time and everyone has been fine with it.

It's definitely lazy storytelling. I can do that. Just kill off one of the main characters and that means the audience will "feel" something? How about writing a clever and compelling story instead? Doc Brown didn't really die in Back the Future and it's one of the all time great movies. Rick, Ilsa, Victor, and Louis all lived at the end of Casablanca and it's an amazing movie.

I know that Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, and Iron Man are going to live at the end of their movies and it's perfectly fine. Why would I want them to die? That would actually piss me off.

If anything, Marvel kills too many characters. They don't let the villains live most of the time. It would be awesome to have the Red Skull still around...but they just had to kill him off. Pierce from Winter Soldier is gone too and that sucks.

So if they kill off Cap or Tony I'm not going to celebrate "I felt stakes!" That's going to suck. I'll accept it if they are ending this story and they get a hero's death at the end. But if they try to put another guy Cap's suit I'm not going to be ok with that. There is only one Steve Rogers...period.

Agreed.

This whole "stakes" thing strikes me as a fake complaint. When has it ever been required in storytelling that the hero die? It's the opposite. We've known for centuries that the hero is going to live 99% of the time and everyone has been fine with it.

It's definitely lazy storytelling. I can do that. Just kill off one of the main characters and that means the audience will "feel" something? How about writing a clever and compelling story instead? Doc Brown didn't really die in Back the Future and it's one of the all time great movies. Rick, Ilsa, Victor, and Louis all lived at the end of Casablanca and it's an amazing movie.

I know that Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, and Iron Man are going to live at the end of their movies and it's perfectly fine. Why would I want them to die? That would actually piss me off.

If anything, Marvel kills too many characters. They don't let the villains live most of the time. It would be awesome to have the Red Skull still around...but they just had to kill him off. Pierce from Winter Soldier is gone too and that sucks.

So if they kill off Cap or Tony I'm not going to celebrate "I felt stakes!" That's going to suck. I'll accept it if they are ending this story and they get a hero's death at the end. But if they try to put another guy Cap's suit I'm not going to be ok with that. There is only one Steve Rogers...period.

Yeah, i completely agree and this goes double for side characters like Falcon, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Nebula, Hawkeye, War Machine, etc who havent had fully fleshed out storylines and character arcs yet. killing them off would be just wasted potential

Do you find it odd not seeing Gamora? Is she separated from Star-Lord's group and also Thor's group and goes on a mission herself?

Or does she die...
From what we can tell in the trailers, it seems that Gamora might part ways with the Guardians after Knowhere. Where? Who knows.

It's also worth nothing that we don't see Drax or Mantis fighting on Titan either, even though they are there in the other shots presumably before Thanos arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"