The 'Back To The Future' Appreciation Thread - Part 2

Its actually on TNT now.

Depends on if you think everything is happening linearly I guess.

In the context of the movies, the time travel changes behave in a wake like fashion. There is a meta-time in which changes hit the "present" time: Marty's siblings picture, the "YOU ARE FIRED" paper, the tombstone.

However, there is no regular measure for this wave to hit the timeline.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that they never showed two DeLoreans at the same time.

Did anyone ever see the shorts that inspired Rick and Morty? They're called Doc and Mharti, clearly BttF inspired. Not exactly high art and pretty graphic if you see the full versions, but still pretty funny in a stupid kind of way.

For those in the Los Angeles area, there is a special screening on September 27th hosted by Collider, 7:30 PM West Coast Time. Info is on the Collider website.

Once Biff handed his younger self the Almanac, how did he then travel back to an original/unchanged 2015? The 2015 he should have returned too, should have been one where Loraine had implants, George was dead, etc....hmmm....

Once Biff handed his younger self the Almanac, how did he then travel back to an original/unchanged 2015? The 2015 he should have returned too, should have been one where Loraine had implants, George was dead, etc....hmmm....

They actually shoot a scene where older Biff vanishes once he returns to 2015. There's a deleted scene, but they didn't include it because it would have been very confusing for people that aren't following time lines and stuff like that. I remember reading an interview where they said something like "well, he was able to return because he *just* gave it to himself, it wasn't as instant", which is a bit of a cop out but at least you can tell that they gave a lot of thought into it for them to shoot that scene.

He was erased....from existence.

yeah there is a deleted scene where he collapses to the ground and vanishes as the Deloran with Doc and Marty are lifting off of the ground to go back to 1985.

I saw the Delorean at the Star Cars museum in Tennessee

o94mrc.jpg

It wasn't instantaneous.

Old biff still lived till the effects of bad 1985 shockwave hit 2015.

Old feeble biff is gone and old evil power plant biff would probably appear if Doc and Marty went back to 2015

Doc- We can'tMarty: So we go back to the future, and we stop Biff from stealing the time machine.Doc: We can't, because if we travel into the future from this point in time, it will be the future of this reality [indicates the alternate reality on a blackboard, 1985A], in which Biff is corrupt, powerful, and married to your mother, and in which this has happened to me! [holds up a newspaper; the headline reads: "EMMETT BROWN COMMITTED"] No. Our only chance to repair the present is in the past, at the point where the timeline skewed into this tangent

what the hell is an jig watt? great scoot!! thats heavy!! thats my all time favorite movie right beside 1990 teeange mutnat ninja turtlers!! my all time favorite bthf is back to the future part 2!! i recently brought 1 thur 3 on dvd i had them on blu ray but they keept messing up in my blu ray player!! i brought it like three times on blu ray ! but thats ok long as i got them on dvd!! i also like part 3 but my other favorite is part 1! my top 2 is part 2 & then part 3!! i didn't like part 3 much as an kid but now i like it!! did you guys ever watch the back to the future cartoon Anmited tv series? i thought i might buy it!! i remember little bits & pieces of it but i don't remmeber it much!!

Last edited:
I'm aware of the deleted scene guys. Just as Marty and Doc could not travel back to 2015 because it would have been the timeline where Biff is corrupt and powerful, old Biff should have encounted that same timeline when he returned to 2015.

he did, that was why he faded away cause he no longer existed in 2015 ;).

I wish Elizabeth Shue hadn't replaced Claudia Wells. Unfortunately her mother had cancer.

But Wells did reprise the role in voice form for a Back to the Future game 26 years later.

so did MJF, he played William McFly (the adult version of the baby Marty held in 1885).

Yeah, also I recall on the original DVD's FAQ, they mentioned that Lorraine shot Biff sometime around the mid 90's. :hehe:

I heard that too.

It's fun trying to ractionalize all the time travel logistic. Like when Marty and and Doc returned from 2015 to 1985, there would be two of them in that timeline. The other Marty would be in Switzeland and Doc would be in an insane asylum. So when they dropped Jennifer off on her porch, by that logic, there would be another Jennifer somewhere too....

Love these films. Been quite a while since I saw them, especially 2 & 3.

Interesting article from Starlog 1986 about "The Other Marty McFly" which examines the whole 'two Martys' idea:

http://brandedinthe80s.com/14688/back-to-the-future-the-other-marty-mcfly-theorem

Basically it talks about how in the scene where Doc throws the gun away at the beginning of the movie, you can see a shadow moving across the Twin Pines Mall sign in the background. According the article, that's the Marty who just returned from 1955 and is witnessing Doc getting shot again. And it goes from there...

Last edited:
That's certainly interesting. I guess this "two Marty's" theory can be overlooked on the first film. But in the second film is where it gets tricky. Would the changes made to the timeline by Old Biff would have prevented the conditions for Doc Brown to create the time machine? He being commited to the asylum and Marty in Switzerland are plot requirements for the film to work, but let's get deeper.

If the changes made by Old Biff to the timeline changed Doc's and Marty character that much, (at least the conditions), I think the the time wave would threaten to erase main Doc and Marty from existence as well, making not only this a quest to fix the timeline, but to save themselves as well.

Then again, this perspective creates a domino effect when Old Biff couldn't use the time machine in the future, so plot holes are inevitable. Perhaps the universe in the films has a way to try to remain stable, paradox free.

Interesting stuff. The consequences of time travel and interacting with your old self or your friends/family/ancestors in history are crazy.

I always thought Marty couldn't catch the lightning during the second movie because Marty/Spy #2 altered some stuff, like for example when he drops those sand bags over the Biff gang, right there, Marty #1 is a couple of seconds late to arrive to the Clock Tower because he stops to stare at them. You know what I mean? There's a ripple effect in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"