The 'Back To The Future' Appreciation Thread - Part 2

The affection shown to BTTF with the 30 year celebration is nice to see. I have 'Back to the Future: The Ultimate Visual History' hardcover coming next week. :D

I'm going to rest a lot on this plot device in an attempt to...excuse...the space-time continuum responsiveness, but the family picture Marty carries around takes forever to fade away. Even the news articles aren't changing literally instantaneously.

Which now that I think about it, they only ever change when a character remembers they exist and pulls them out of their pocket to look.

The newspapers do, but the photos of Marty's family in Part I and Doc's Tombstone in Part III do change without them looking at it.

And here's a question to everyone: who do people remember more as Jennifer and associate with the role?

Claudia Wells?

latest

Or Elizabeth Shue?

back-to-the-future-part-ii-elisabeth-shue.jpg

And why is it so hard to find a proper photo of Shue as the character on Google? There are plenty more of Wells.

I remember Elizabeth Shue more only because she had a bigger role in film 2. That said, I think Elizabeth Shue was too over the top as Jennifer, Claudia Wells seemed a lot more grounded in film 1.

The affection shown to BTTF with the 30 year celebration is nice to see. I have 'Back to the Future: The Ultimate Visual History' hardcover coming next week. :D

It was pretty amazing to see how pretty much everyone in the country (the US at least) embraced "Back to the Future Day". It was pretty much everywhere.

I actually preferred Wells by quite a bit and think she gave the stronger performance, which is somewhat surprising given how Shue had a much bigger career.

I liked that they brought Wells back for The Game.

I thought Wells gave a stronger performance too and was more likeable and a fresher face not associated with other movies. Also, BTTF is the more classic film and so while Shue might've had a larger part, the first film is probably the one that people will watch the most. It even stands up on its own even if it never had parts 2 and 3.

I didn't really like Shue in the part at all and she always seemed a poor imitation, and also just looked a bit odd dressed and styled like that. In fact, she was the only part of the trilogy I didn't like, and I was disappointed when Claudia didn't return.

Wells seemed a lot spunkier to me, and a better match for Marty with a bit of a rebellious streak herself. Shue just kind of had this deer-in-the-headlights look for most of her screentime.

Marty McFly and Doc Brown on Kimmel:

[YT]Q0VGRlEJewA[/YT]

Also, one thing that BTTF2 got right somewhat ironically and sadly is that Michael J Fox of 2015 is somewhat debilitated like the Marty McFly of 2015. :(

Thanks for posting, Raven.

Not gonna lie. I teared up a bit when Doc and Marty arrive.

Elizabeth Shue recently ended her run on CSI and still looks good.

Claudia Wells looks decent.

Last edited:
I've watched the 1st one waaaay more than the other two, so I associate Claudia Wells with the role of Jennifer more. In fact whenever I do watch the others, I usually have a "oh yeah, that's Elizabeth Shue!" moment.

Jaws 19 review: [YT]tR-JqhT7Z1A[/YT]

Here's the 2nd part of MJF's appearance on Kimmel:

[YT]LVN9CuoEAi0[/YT]

[YT]INYUJ_dicMg[/YT]

[YT]PCxkYBOSJzc[/YT]

Last edited:
Nabbed a newspaper today, looks neat along side my TDK Gotham Times.

Did I mention I was one of the lucky few who were able to score a Pepsi Perfect yesterday? :oldrazz:

I just noticed this is part 2 of this thread. How have I not seen this thread all this time until now? Was it in hiding before the 30th anniversary?

I like Wells in the role. Too bad she couldn't return, it would've been perfect.

Elizabeth Shue recently ended her run on CSI and still looks good.

Claudia Wells looks decent.

Lea Thompson's still smokin too. All three ladies have aged very well.

I just noticed this is part 2 of this thread. How have I not seen this thread all this time until now? Was it in hiding before the 30th anniversary?

It's been going strong for years off of fan/custom artwork alone.

Here's a shot-by-shot comparison of the original ending and the reshot ending for part 2:

[YT]Xy305eZt6co[/YT]

Fox's hair was a bit longer in the new one, and he looked a bit older and had a bit more weight.

Geez, I didn't even notice the difference in Fox's hair until now, you would have thought they would have matched it better. To be fair I think even if Claudia Wells did come back for film 2 they would have had to reshoot that scene anyway. MJF clearly looked a little older and reusing the footage from film one would have been noticeable if you were to cut to the newer footage.

Edit: Dear in the headlight was the perfect way to describe Elizabeth Shue, lol.

Geez, I didn't even notice the difference in Fox's hair until now, you would have thought they would have matched it better. To be fair I think even if Claudia Wells did come back for film 2 they would have had to reshoot that scene anyway. MJF clearly looked a little older and reusing the footage from film one would have been noticeable if you were to cut to the newer footage.

Edit: Dear in the headlight was the perfect way to describe Elizabeth Shue, lol.

Overall it was effective, especially since we didn't notice it until 20 some odd years later with the hair. And yes, Wells is way better than Shue.

We applaud Bob Gale and Bob Zemeckis for not allowing a reboot but also allowing the beloved franchise to exist in other mediums like comic-books, a video game, books and even a musical (if that one is still happening).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"