• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BvS The Batsuit Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Batman wears a fabric based costume the general audience will assume it ordinary fabric so you will have to show them it is bullet proof and durable. There are two ways of showing this;

a) In a montage with Batman testing the outfit with bullets.
b) Batman taking a bullet and shruging it off.

Both waste time and add nothing to the narrative of the story.

you really do enjoy assuming you know exactly what the general audience will think don't you? if the material looks thick, and has the right texture, then the general audience could very well assume it's bullet-proof.

I don't agree it would waste time.

The audience might assume that Bats has been badly injured and then a few moments later he just ups and shrugs it off, perhaps showing that it hurts but there is not any major damage.

Job done for showing that this is a "special" fabric.

I don't agree it would waste time.

The audience might assume that Bats has been badly injured and then a few moments later he just ups and shrugs it off, perhaps showing that it hurts but there is not any major damage.

Job done for showing that this is a "special" fabric.

yeah, really doesn't take up much time, and easy enough to use in a way that it doesn't take away from the narrative. same goes for a quick technobabble moment, we're looking at a two and a half hour movie here, there's plenty of time for little moments like those.

Batman takes a bullet in Batman '89, showing the audience the suit isn't mere 'rubber'. Worked well enough. Do you actually want this Batman to take a hit. I think it would be much more effective for Batman to come out of the shadows, land his ninja blows and disappear into the shadows without so much as a scratch.

My wanting armour is for aesthetics only. I think it will 'look' cool and show rather than tell Batman can take a hint. And when I say armour, I'm not talking 'RoboCop' I'm talking something that looks strudy and durable.

The general audience isn't too picky about their costumes, though. I don't think the GA complained about the X-men costumes. As long as the design looks durable, I don't think they'll really care.

But I would. I want black-and-grey, though blue, I heard is more effective at blending in the night.
So yeah, basically anything but THIS in terms of design :D
a-palicki-wonder-wonder-splash.jpg

Dark blue and grey or black and grey are both equally effective, and both are more effective than all black.

If Batman wears a fabric based costume the general audience will assume it ordinary fabric so you will have to show them it is bullet proof and durable. There are two ways of showing this;

a) In a montage with Batman testing the outfit with bullets.
b) Batman taking a bullet and shruging it off.

Both waste time and add nothing to the narrative of the story.

You're not paying attention. It would take about a minute's exposition to explain it, much like the scenes in Nolan's films with Fox showing Wayne all of "Those wonderful toys". And actually, your B response (taking a bullet and shrugging it off) would blend in quite nicely in the course of the story, where it's a more than a distinct possibility Batman will be shot at, and it won't be a waste of time, it will be a part of the story.

They should make the bodysuit of a canvas-like material. Make it look reasonably thick and it will look convincingly protective enough.

You're not paying attention. It would take about a minute's exposition to explain it, much like the scenes in Nolan's films with Fox showing Wayne all of "Those wonderful toys". And actually, your B response (taking a bullet and shrugging it off) would blend in quite nicely in the course of the story, where it's a more than a distinct possibility Batman will be shot at, and it won't be a waste of time, it will be a part of the story.

Exactly.

They should make the bodysuit of a canvas-like material. Make it look reasonably thick and it will look convincingly protective enough.

Could be cool.

^^^

This, is why I don't don't Batman to wear a fabric (even bullet proof) based costume.

What, the fact that bad cosplay exists?

In which case, here is proof that Batman shouldn't wear armour:

The irony with the picture you quoted is that the worst looking part is the rubber/faux armour neck.

^^^

This, is why I don't don't Batman to wear a fabric (even bullet proof) based costume.

Because a really elaborate fan costume that lacks the budget for a movie suit is indicative of the final product ;)

And I like it better then most of the movie suits, and if it had the "movie treatment" it would probably be best of all :jedi

1237893_10151866744736223_1077946526_n.jpg

batman_evolution_31195.jpg

Note: Clicking on the image on the right and opening it in a new tab/window will enlarge the photo.

Last edited:
Because a really elaborate fan costume that lacks the budget for a movie suit is indicative of the final product ;)

And I like it better then most of the movie suits, and if it had the "movie treatment" it would probably be best of all :jedi

1237893_10151866744736223_1077946526_n.jpg

And that's what these anti-fabric suit people like to gloss over. If this guy here, who probably put this suit together himself for under a thousand bucks (at a guess), and can make a half decent looking suit like this, Imagine what a professional movie studio costuming department with a large budget could do with this concept.

Last edited:
.........Batman first and foremost is a superhero.......

I think in the discussions re. the suit this "fact one" is ignored.

All Superheroes have a gimmick that provides defense and nullifies normal offensive weaponry. Batman's is tapping into a universal fear of the supernatural. The bat symbolism is the method he uses to manipulate that fear. It's this manipulation that gives him the edge.

Batman is not just a "normal guy", requiring mundane armor that a normal guy would need to survive.

He is an extraordinary individual. He is one of a kind. He is trained to the max to survive anything. He is a superhero!

Why is it so hard to buy his gimmick and his ability as his best defense. Are Wonder Woman's bracelets any more believable than Batman's skill?

Last edited:
.........Batman first and foremost is a superhero.......

I think in the discussions re. the suit this "fact one" is ignored.

All Superheroes have a gimmick that provides defense and nullifies normal offensive weaponry. Batman's is tapping into a universal fear of the supernatural. The bat symbolism is the method he uses to manipulate that fear. It's this manipulation that gives him the edge.

Batman is not just a "normal guy", requiring mundane armor that a normal guy would need to survive.

He is an extraordinary individual. He is one of a kind. He is trained to the max to survive anything. He is a superhero!

Why is it so hard to buy his gimmick and his ability as his best defense. Are Wonder Woman's bracelets any more believable than Batman's skill?
Or Superman's inherent invulnerability. Considering that Batman will now be firmly placed in a universe where aliens and Amazons with super powers exist, "realism" is no longer a valid excuse for Batman needing heavy armor and not being able to dodge gunfire. He's been doing it that way for over 70 years, there's no reason he can't do that today.

I want Batman to be like Blade in the new Movie. Just without all the super powers. He needs to be a badass all around, people actually take steps backwards when they see him. A complete perfectionist in combat. And I want to see Batarangs get tossed around, just like Blade throws his glaive and then catches it again.

BulletProof_450x450.jpg

^ This is real-life.

Even army uniforms/body armor are generally cloth-based
female_Army_body_armor_AP977805060092_620x350.jpg

the-dark-knight-rises-batman-1.jpg

^ So I consider this to be the real fantasy ;)

Last edited:
There just exists so much crazy stuff these days. We even have this.

Liquid Body Armor Hardens on Impact

THE GIST

- Kevlar is bulky, heavy and hot.

- A new super gel could give soldiers lightweight maneuverability along with protection.

A revolutionary new armor relies on a liquid that hardens when something hits it, promising unprecedented protection while letting soldiers move freely, unrestricted by bulk and weight.

Protection for warriors has long meant weight and bulk from ceramic plates and Kevlar that cover large areas of the body but reduce maneuverability, agility and speed. And in war zones like Iraq and Afghanistan, temperatures can reach 120 degrees Fahrenheit, meaning heavy armor can also accelerate fatigue.

ANALYSIS: An Invisibility Cloak For Heat

The new super gel from global defense, aerospace, and security company BAE Systems means body armor that will provide far greater protection at a drastically lighter weight -- with more flexibility to boot.

The liquid can even be pasted between sheets of Kevlar, the body armor standard considered five times stronger than steel -- and transforming it into super armor thinner and about half the weight of the average bullet-proof vest.

Formally known as Shear Thickening Liquid, the fluid has special particles that are freely suspended. The particles collide when the fluid is disturbed, which creates a resistance to the disturbance.

When the force of the disturbance is large enough, the particles will then actually "lock" together. So when a bullet hits the material at speed, the liquid armor absorbs the impact energy and hardens extremely quickly.

Imagine slowly stirring a container of Shear Thickening Liquid: You would feel little resistance initially, and the faster you stir the more the resistance would increase, explained Stewart Penney, head of business development for design and materials at BAE.

The special liquid can also be incorporated into conventional Kevlar body armor; when put together the liquid and Kevlar provide excellent freedom of motion and armor 45 percent thinner than existing types.

The liquid goo would also restrict the movement of the Kevlar fabric's yarn, expanding that the area over which impact energy is dispersed.

When a bullet strikes, conventional body armor tends to bend inward, preventing death but often leaving considerable damage and pain. This wide dispersal of energy could prevent painful bruising, cracked or broken ribs and even trauma to internal organs that accompany being shot in the armor.

Source

And that's what these anti-fabric suit people like to gloss over. If this guy here, who probably put this suit together himself for under a thousand bucks (at a guess), and can make a half decent looking suit like this, Imagine what a professional movie studio costuming department with a large budget could do with this concept.

Scratch that: Imagine what SNYDER'S costuming department will do with Batman. Look at that incredible reveal shot of Superman against the safe door, now picture a Batman equivalent. I can't wait.

D***, that suit looks ridiculous. What were Hemming and Nolan thinking? :csad:
I think it's because the old costumers are sticking to movie tradition (thick rubber). Something tells me that Zack's gonna shake things up :yay:

As for the movie suits, Begins followed by the Burton suits.

Last edited:
I think you guys are getting caught up in this 'everything must be explained' world that Nolan gave us. I am willing to bet we will get as much an explanation for the suit as we did for the Superman suit in MOS.
I am hoping that they don't go the heavy rubber suit and come up with a design that is closer to the comics but not hokey.

^ THIS!

How many other superheroes (outside of ASM) have their costumes get explained? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"