Iron Man 3 The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Die Hard and DH2 were Xmas set summer films. I don't see this being an issue at all. It's not even the first summer superhero movie to do this. Batman Returns did it 20 years ago.

I kinda dig the idea. It adds just an extra pinch of personality to the film.

Die Hard and DH2 were Xmas set summer films. I don't see this being an issue at all. It's not even the first summer superhero movie to do this. Batman Returns did it 20 years ago.

I kinda dig the idea. It adds just an extra pinch of personality to the film.

I guess the notion's just new to me. Not to make people feel old, lol, but this is the first film I've been alive for when a film that importantly takes place during Christmas opens during the summer.

The final action scene also takes place on December 25. I consider films that take place in and around Christmas, Christmas films. Here we have celebrating Christmas, Christmas music, and Mandarin noting our memories of Christmas Day will be ruined because it will forever mark the day our President is killed rather than Christmas itself. New Years is also really important metaphorically to the story as well.

And I agree with liking the notion, I'd just rather see it on the big screen over Christmas. I should also state I liked Shameless Season 1 best since it took place over winter, whereas summer being the focus through me for a loop there too. I really like it because I've never seen a superhero film with Christmas this much front and center.

Last edited:
im thinkin the book is fairly different from the final movie. the few ive read have been at least

im thinkin the book is fairly different from the final movie. the few ive read have been at least

The book isn't just going to include Christmas like it does if it wasn't in the script. Everything revolving around Christmas is very Shane Black. It's part of what it made it seem like a Shane Black film. It's one of the themes he keeps returning to.

Things change:

Pepper Potts wasn't on the plane in the book.

Killian is obviously going to get a final fight. While the Mandarin is likely to make his escape for the next film.

Mandarin is most likely going to have a scene with Tony at his mansion, I kind of find it hard to believe that they're never in the same scene together.

Things like that change. Over-encompassing themes of films don't.

It's after New Years when Tony's life comes full circle and changes, starts anew -- whereas the first film ended with "I am Iron Man," this film ends with "I am Tony Stark." It also, similarly to the first film, starts mid-way through the film then goes back in time to see how he wound up there.

And scenes will probably be included as well -- unless Tony surrounded by Christmas trees is in one of the scenes in the book and it just didn't include that detail.

Last edited:
So...

[BLACKOUT]Both Killian and the Mandarin get away?[/BLACKOUT]

So...

[BLACKOUT]Both Killian and the Mandarin get away?[/BLACKOUT]

In the book.

Mandarin has a scene after getting away which does set him up as a villain for the future films. Killian doesn't.

Most likely - Killian is captured in the film. Mandarin gets away after the mansion.

Behind the scenes shows Killian fighting Iron Man, BUT that could easily be Sevlin instead perhaps. We never see a close up on his face -- so maybe we're just thinking it's Killian?

Last edited:
I have to admit... I was leery at first, but now I'm kind of loving that this film apparently is just continuing to build up the Mandarin as this behind-the-scenes uber-villain as Iron Man 1 did, but is still not featuring him as the MAIN bad guy.

I have no doubt that there will be an Iron Man 4 and that it will display the Mandarin front and center in all of his glory and he actually goes toe-to-toe with Tony Stark. I would imagine Mandarin will probably have augmented his rings in some way to actually engage with Iron Man physically by that point...

5I0zmxpl.jpg

I like that they're not killing off a lot of the villains in these things, so they can set up future flicks or teamups.

Note: The scene probably has dialog or something said, the writer often skips over exact dialog, but I see this scene existing in some form given the story it's in and the amount of time given to Mandarin (10 minutes tops). And to fit him in more than that, you'd seriously need to work double over-time fitting him into the story.

Inside his secret lair, the Mandarin pounded his fists on the table before him. He had wired the tanker with miniature cameras and had been watching the events unfold before him in real time. He had been defeated. The promise of enhanced humans with extraordinary powers had been no much for Iron Man and his suits of armor.

The Mandarin had clearly underestimated Tony Stark. That was not a mistake he would ever make again. Even if it took him years to rebuild his empire and gather new resources and men, the Mandarin would have his revenge on Iron Man. He swore it.

Hoping for a clip tonight on The Johnathon Ross Show with Ben Kingsley being a guest.

I was wondering about....
Extremis. Does the book say whether it's a process that needs to be undergone once to be effective or is it necessary to "renew" it?

I was wondering about....
Extremis. Does the book say whether it's a process that needs to be undergone once to be effective or is it necessary to "renew" it?

And in addition to this...

Is a "cure" for Extremis mentioned or some way to undo it?

And is Tony's use of Extremis in the film akin to that of the comic (ie he "rewrites" the Extremis programming for his own purposes and infects himself with it)?

AND ALSO, what powers does Tony get from using Extremis if he's already able to command his armor around telepathically?

And in addition to this...

Is a "cure" for Extremis mentioned or some way to undo it?

And is Tony's use of Extremis in the film akin to that of the comic (ie he "rewrites" the Extremis programming for his own purposes and infects himself with it)?

AND ALSO, what powers does Tony get from using Extremis if he's already able to command his armor around telepathically?

Maybe being able to shut down the Extremis Virus is the cure :oldrazz:

They take it multiple times and if they don't -- they explode. It's injected once, then its inhaled.

Tony doesn't take it.

There is a "cure" but Tony forgot the formula since it came to him so many years ago at a New Years party. Maya wants him because she thinks he knows a cure. He doesn't.

the most recent rumors say that [BLACKOUT]Maya deactivates Extremis. Including that injected within Tony.[/BLACKOUT]

Plot-wise, doesn't seem likely. They bring Tony in to interrogate him about a way to de-activate it. That is why Maya is working with Killian. Tony refuses to tell them how, partly because he forgot himself. That's why they went after him -- Maya doesn't know. They need Tony who doesn't negotiate with terrorists. So Maya knowing or Tony telling them doesn't fit with either character.

All the rumors turned out to be false.

Must give props to whoever came up with all of that.

Plot-wise, doesn't seem likely. They bring Tony in to interrogate him about a way to de-activate it. That is why Maya is working with Killian. Tony refuses to tell them how, partly because he forgot himself. That's why they went after him -- Maya doesn't know. They need Tony who doesn't negotiate with terrorists. So Maya knowing or Tony telling them doesn't fit with either character.

That sounds about right. Those other rumors line up with alot of things, but I can't help but think its from an earlier version of the script.

I have no doubt that there will be an Iron Man 4 and that it will display the Mandarin front and center in all of his glory and he actually goes toe-to-toe with Tony Stark. I would imagine Mandarin will probably have augmented his rings in some way to actually engage with Iron Man physically by that point...

But that potential is dampened a little bit if someone else playing Tony goes toe to toe against Mandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"