Justice League The Justice League Critic Reviews/Rotten Tomatoes Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone explain this to me

XgU9NLh.jpg

The critic himself decides whether his review will be submitted as Rotten or Fresh, not the site

Someone explain this to me

Fresh means the critic advises to go see a movie.
Rotten that you should spend that money elsewhere.
For numerous reasons, two movies with the same score can receive opposite recommendation.
At this point, who doesn't get it, they do willfully so. :whatever:

The reviewer decides if it is fresh or rotten, unless RT post it themselves. If they are confused by the review, they ask the reviewer if it is fresh or rotten. It seriously isn't a conspiracy and you do realize WB owns 30% of RT right?

Nope. The critic has no say what so ever if their review will be marked as fresh or rotten. In fact BoT posted a tweet from a critic surprised his review was marked as rotten on RT. I believe the site decides between fresh/rotten, which usually depends on how the review reads, that's why some 2.5 ratings are counted aa fresh while other times they're counted as rotten.

Does the critical reception on Rotten Tomatoes, or anywhere else, really matter right now?

Man Of Steel was critically mauled and still made a lot of money.

BvS was critically mauled and still made a lot of money.

SS was critically mauled and still made a lot of money.

It was apparent that the audience were willing to give these films a chance, and largely ignored the critical reception on opening weekend. It was only the appalling WOM (more so with the latter two films) that stopped them going after that.

Now, a fourth movie is critically mauled, but they are no longer willing to give JL a chance, because they were burned too many times already.

The critical reception to Justice League is not what has sunk it at the box office.

It's a flop because the films that came before were awful, and the audience is sick of it.

Nope. The critic has no say what so ever if their review will be marked as fresh or rotten. In fact BoT posted a tweet from a critic surprised his review was marked as rotten on RT. I believe the site decides between fresh/rotten, which usually depends on how the review reads, that's why some 2.5 ratings are counted aa fresh while other times they're counted as rotten.

The critics can contact RT if the review was posted as fresh instead of negative and the other way around but that critic whose tweet you are referring to was genuinely surprised that RT just goes ahead and submits how they want.

Does the critical reception on Rotten Tomatoes, or anywhere else, really matter right now?

Man Of Steel was critically mauled and still made a lot of money.

BvS was critically mauled and still made a lot of money.

SS was critically mauled and still made a lot of money.

It was apparent that the audience were willing to give these films a chance, and largely ignored the critical reception on opening weekend. It was only the appalling WOM (more so with the latter two films) that stopped them going after that.

Now, a fourth movie is critically mauled, but they are no longer willing to give JL a chance, because they were burned too many times already.

The critical reception to Justice League is not what has sunk it at the box office.

It's a flop because the films that came before were awful, and the audience is sick of it.

It's not because of that. A trashfire came before Wonder Women and Wonder Women did great.

I think WB would be well served to tone down the big budgets and work harder on story points. I think the public is tired of over-hyped, big stakes movies with a director that is not universally appealing in this genre. That's not a swipe at Snyder, so much as the track record of his films. The licensed characters bring people into theaters on the first weekend and that's where the bulk of the money hits the registers. The second weekend has been telling the story on what people thought after seeing it. Few go back.

BVS had a staggering 69% drop on it's second weekend, while Man of Steel had over 64% drop. What will likely save Justice League from the same drop is the Holiday weekend, plus the fact it didn't have a big opening debut. Small rewards for the greater message easily assimilated here, now that the crowd is speaking on opening weekend - Let someone else take a turn.

At best, this is a wake up call for studios to make better movies. The audience isn't having it anymore, specially with all the tv shows and streaming services at the comfort of your house.

At best, this is a wake up call for studios to make better movies. The audience isn't having it anymore, specially with all the tv shows and streaming services at the comfort of your house.

That's a good point. Audiences that buy these tickets are also watching similar product on television where the characters have a following. So the old days of just making a film for spectacle is over for this genre. It can't just be eye candy. People want a story.

I mean there was nothing special about the trailers at all. Nothing that made me say, "Wow, I definitely need to see this in theaters."

There was no hook.

I mean there was nothing special about the trailers at all. Nothing that made me say, "Wow, I definitely need to see this in theaters."

There was no hook.

This is true. There was no sense of story. Looked more like a trailer for a videogame.

This is true. There was no sense of story. Looked more like a trailer for a videogame.

Well, at least it was honest advertising because that's pretty much what the movie was. If you've seen the trailers, you've basically seen the movie.

So what is it? What's the reason the movie is flopping so badly?

Snyder's name being attached to JL. I guarantee you if the words "DIRECTED BY JOSS WHEDON" were in place of Snyder's name, this film would be doing a lot better. People associate Snyder's name with critical failures such as MOS and BVS. So JL was always going to face that obstacle.

Snyder's name being attached to JL. I guarantee you if the words "DIRECTED BY JOSS WHEDON" were in place of Snyder's name, this film would be doing a lot better. People associate Snyder's name with critical failures such as MOS and BVS. So JL was always going to face that obstacle.

Case in point the posters on this forum. Some won't even see it due to the name associated with directing it and put sole blame on Zack for JL.

Case in point the posters on this forum. Some won't even see it due to the name associated with directing it and put sole blame on Zack for JL.

I think you are really underestimating the bad trailers for this movie.
What did the general audience have to latch to in those? Nothing, they were extremely generic and unoriginal.

Oh for crying out loud. Generally speaking, critics on RT submit their reviews and they choose if it's fresh or rotten, regardless of whatever score they give it.

RT also has a system where it sweeps for reviews online because some critics never bother to post their reviews on the site. If that happens, the RT team will read the review and decide whether it's fresh or rotten. Usually they contact the critic first.

Well, I’d say people associate Zack Snyder with bad movies, period. That’s why they’re staying away from Justice League.

They went to see MoS. They went to see BvS. They didn’t go to see JL.

Good lord. Zack Snyder is to blame for JL, because he made BvS which everybody hated. They then had to change JL because everybody hated BvS, and that’s why you get the mess that it is.

There was no hook.

What was special about the SM:H trailers? I don't think trailers killed JL.

It's not because of that. A trashfire came before Wonder Women and Wonder Women did great.

Eh, not the same thing. WW's success is due to it's legs and longevity, not because it opened huge. Her film had outstanding WOM. Not to mention, she was one of the only parts of BvS that worked for people so her solo movie was always safe.

Well, I’d say people associate Zack Snyder with bad movies, period. That’s why they’re staying away from Justice League.

They went to see MoS. They went to see BvS. They didn’t go to see JL.

Good lord. Zack Snyder is to blame for JL, because he made BvS which everybody hated. They then had to change JL because everybody hated BvS, and that’s why you get the mess that it is.

Spot on.

I honestly feel bad for anyone who was expecting this movie to be a critical or financial hit. Audience's clearly rejected both MoS and BvS, so it's follow-up never stood a chance particularly with such poor marketing and the infamous production troubles.

This is WB/Zack Snyder's fault, point blank. They put the cart before the horse and are now reaping the consequences.

What was special about the SM:H trailers? I don't think trailers killed JL.

They certainly didn't help.

I've heard hundreds of posters here over the years say that they aren't going to see this or that movie because a certain director or actor worked on it. It happens all the time. Are people not supposed to have this option with Snyder?

I honestly feel bad for anyone who was expecting this movie to be a critical or financial hit. Audience's clearly rejected both MoS and BvS, so it's follow-up never stood a chance particularly with such poor marketing and the infamous production troubles.

I don't, because a great movie would have been a critical hit. There's no hidden bias out there against Snyder or the DCeU. There are common denominators. Bad movies get bad reviews, period. Whether it's BvS, SS or even MOS to some degree.

Snyder does not equal critical failure. Any director is capable of critical success. Snyder directing bad movies equals critical failure. There's no glass ceiling for him.

I've heard hundreds of posters here over the years say that they aren't going to see this or that movie because a certain director or actor worked on it. It happens all the time. Are people not supposed to have this option with Snyder?

And they do have it. This just proves the point of the poster I was quoting. Had it been Joss name attached to the movie, reactions would have been different from both fans and online media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"