The Me Too Movement: The Sexual Harassment and Assault Thread

Emma Thompson gets it. She dropped out of the animated movie Luck after Skydance brought Lasseter on board.

If a man has been touching women inappropriately for decades, why would a woman want to work for him if the only reason he’s not touching them inappropriately now is that it says in his contract that he must behave “professionally”?

If a man has made women at his companies feel undervalued and disrespected for decades, why should the women at his new company think that any respect he shows them is anything other than an act that he’s required to perform by his coach, his therapist and his employment agreement? The message seems to be, “I am learning to feel respect for women so please be patient while I work on it. It’s not easy.”

Much has been said about giving John Lasseter a “second chance.” But he is presumably being paid millions of dollars to receive that second chance. How much money are the employees at Skydance being paid to GIVE him that second chance?

If John Lasseter started his own company, then every employee would have been given the opportunity to choose whether or not to give him a second chance. But any Skydance employees who don’t want to give him a second chance have to stay and be uncomfortable or lose their jobs. Shouldn’t it be John Lasseter who has to lose HIS job if the employees don’t want to give him a second chance?

Skydance has revealed that no women received settlements from Pixar or Disney as a result of being harassed by John Lasseter. But given all the abuse that’s been heaped on women who have come forward to make accusations against powerful men, do we really think that no settlements means that there was no harassment or no hostile work environment? Are we supposed to feel comforted that women who feel that their careers were derailed by working for Lasseter DIDN’T receive money?

In the grand scheme of things, it's the victims who truly suffer. But I would be lying if whenever an old Pixar movie comes on and I see his name, I won't feel guilty for watching it. I assume he's still getting residuals as long as those movies air somewhere in the world.

Reading the police reports, it's nice that you also get hugs.

Emma Thompson gets it. She dropped out of the animated movie Luck after Skydance brought Lasseter on board.

In the grand scheme of things, it's the victims who truly suffer. But I would be lying if whenever an old Pixar movie comes on and I see his name, I won't feel guilty for watching it. I assume he's still getting residuals as long as those movies air somewhere in the world.

Emma Thompson also defended Hayley Atwell back when Harvey Weinstein called her a fat pig (look in a mirror much?) and tried to force her onto a diet which she didn’t need. Emma threatened to walk if Weinstein didn’t lay off of Atwell.

The details on that R Kelly video..... Lord have mercy.
I'm not sure I even want to dive into that. I can only imagine what it was like for all the people who had to watch it for the case against him.

I'm not gonna hold my breath for R. Kelly to finally go down for good until he's actually convicted and sentenced. The guy has been Teflon for decades and this stuff has been an open secret since at least circa 2000 if not before.

The lack of consequences for R. Kelly for almost 20 years is a direct example of how the justice system doesn't work the way it should.

Smollett filing a false police report was given more attention and more judicial backlash than a guy having sex with underage girls and abusing them.

The lack of consequences for R. Kelly for almost 20 years is a direct example of how the justice system doesn't work the way it should.

Smollett filing a false police report was given more attention and more judicial backlash than a guy having sex with underage girls and abusing them.

FondPettyBufeo-small.gif

I would assume evidence comes into play there.

Supposedly this time the video quality is clearer and it’s more obviously Kelly in the vid beyond a reasonable doubt.

It was phrased poorly I think. Sexual repression is hugely damaging for people and it can definitely manifest in abusive behaviour. I think it's internal shame at not being able to suppress their sexual desires and taking it out on the people around them.

That's not excusing their behaviour at all. Spacey and Singer have caused damage and they need to be held accountable for it. But it is possible that their actions may have been caused by feeling shameful at being gay and not being able to change that.

That's not to say heterosexuals can't have the same issues. They absolutely can and do.

Last edited:
It was phrased poorly I think. Sexual repression is hugely damaging for people and it can definitely manifest in abusive behaviour. I think it's internal shame at not being able to suppress their sexual desires and taking it out on the people around them.

That's not excusing their behaviour at all. Spacey and Singer have caused damage and they need to be held accountable for it. But it is possible that their actions may have been caused by feeling shameful at being gay and not being able to change that.

That's not to say heterosexuals can't have the same issues. They absolutely can and do.

I would say that the need for gays to remain hidden in Hollywood created the conditions that allowed predators to flourish.

Eh, I’m honestly not buying the idea that because these two guys were in the closet at one point or another, they became abusers.

I truly think they’re just like many people who come into some sort of power that allows them to abuse people (more than the average person could) and they decided to go that route because they liked it.

I was gonna say since when was Oprah the voice of all that is correct in the world

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"