The Me Too Movement: The Sexual Harassment and Assault Thread

Even knowing that it is still appalling to hear what he did.

Matt Lauer is an awful person, but that rape story seems suspect. For one that they had a consensual relationship for months following it. It doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, but it does at least throw some questions towards it.

I would believe her more if this information was coming out of a police report rather than a tell all book

Yeah, it can sound iffy but you don't wanna take that risk unless you can catch her in the lie.

It's not too far removed from battered woman syndrome. She carried on the relationship because it was safer and easier than getting blacklisted by Lauer and/or NBC for refusing him.

Being responsible for firing Ann Curry was the first red flag in Matt Lauer being a disgusting piece of trash. That should have been a warning about what was to come.

Matt Lauer is an awful person, but that rape story seems suspect. For one that they had a consensual relationship for months following it. It doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, but it does at least throw some questions towards it.
How?

Because most people don’t enter into a consensual sexual relationship with their rapist after the fact.
How many women are raped by someone who can get them fired?

Also you just dismissed all rape committed by a husband or wife as "suspicious".

Last edited:
Because most people don’t enter into a consensual sexual relationship with their rapist after the fact.

Not to be rude, but it's 2019 and I don't understand how this type of stuff is still brought up.

You can ask any abuse expert/therapist about people, not even just women, who stay in relationships with abusers. People who beat them, people who rape them, people who berate them. They stay with them or even start/restart relationships with their abusers

I'm not saying that it happens every single time. I'm not even saying Lauer did it. But the whole: "Well they went back" or "Well they stayed with them" as something that throws a wrench in a story doesn't hold up at all.

Where does SHE say it was a consensual sexual relationship? Lauer, the accused rapist, claims it was consensual. But is to be expected from him. But from what I read - Nevils also told Farrow that she later had other sexual encounters with Lauer.
She said she blames herself for those encounters and was terrified of the control Lauer had over her career, according to Variety.
That sounds like intimidation, not consent.

It’s sad that she valued her career more than her own well being

Where does SHE say it was a consensual sexual relationship? Lauer, the accused rapist, claims it was consensual. But is to be expected from him. But from what I read - Nevils also told Farrow that she later had other sexual encounters with Lauer.
She said she blames herself for those encounters and was terrified of the control Lauer had over her career, according to Variety.
That sounds like intimidation, not consent.
One of the inherent dynamics of these situations is the control the superior has. In this case we are talking about the trash who was capable of chasing Ann Curry off in like 6 months.

Yeah, having a job is not a part of anyone's well being...

It's almost like these situations are complete crap for victims who are forced to choose between horrible options, even as their only "crime" was to be attacked by some utter trash. Especially in an atmosphere where you have *******s shaming and questioning every move they make, even as they are victims of one of the most traumatic situations one can face.

It's like you haven't read a single article on the subject that has been posted in here much less any of the thousands of articles about this type of thing posted and printed and discussed on the news for at least the last decade.

Well I mean if it did happen the way she said it did, I hope criminal charges are brought against him.

Well I mean if it did happen the way she said it did, I hope criminal charges are brought against him.
That is a very different statement from what you said so far. Even still, need to bring the "if". Just to make sure.

You do realize we are talking about the guy with the button under his desk to close his office door right? But yeah sure, if...

People who have a button on their desk to lock their door so they can abuse their subordinates are not people I think of as trustworthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"