The Official Batman Returns Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
That, and Hathaway was woefully miscast in my opinion. I loathed the costume, as well- not a detrimental problem, but it all adds up.

Hathaway isn't to blame. It was the world she belonged to and the story that made Selina disappointing.

For the most part that's true, but she just didn't look or sound right to me, either. I think, as an actress, she might be described as "kooky". Where she tried to capture Selina's suaveness or her playful sexuality, it felt rather forced and somewhat embarrassing to me.

It is not her fault that she was miscast, and casting female roles seems to be a problem for Nolan. Through the whole trilogy, only Maggie G gave a believable and sympathetic performance, in my opinion. And where was Martha Wayne's role?

And where was Martha Wayne's role?

Have you read the recent Batman/Superman #1?

The focus is entirely on Thomas (in relation to the origin) and even shows Bruce lying in the street, holding his dead father by the arm... as his mother bleeds out a few feet away.

She never seems to get any decent attention.

Haven't read it, I have almost given up on DC after the new 52. Was it otherwise good?

I find the lack of any role for Martha to be distinctly weird. Boys of that age are usually very close to their mothers. Her loss would probably be more acutely painful, and it could form some of the reasons for his relationship with women like Catwoman being so immature and conflicted.

Martha has never really gotten equal time in any Batman interpretation ever including the best such as BTAS, comics or the best movies. Denny O'neil may have written stories detailing Martha slightly, but other than that Martha is always JUST the woman with the pearls that gets shot once, drops in Crime Alley and that is it. It is tragic that the mother of Batman gets no attention.

EDIT: Never mind.

In fact, Paul Dini did give her some decent background in "Heart of Hush", if I remember rightly. But that had little to do with her relationship with Bruce.

Snyder's other solid backstory writing was Martha and her family in Gotham's history.

Gaiman's "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" is a good feature for Martha Wayne.

:up: Yes, it was. I had forgotten that, despite it being genuinely moving in places.

I hope they use Martha in the Earth One books. There's a lot of potential there. For those who haven't read it and are curious, [BLACKOUT]Martha is an Arkham. There are hints towards "The Crane Institute" and Arkham Asylum plays a pretty large role in the plot but is not the Arkham we all know yet, it's an empty house. If they continue with that hint of the Crane Institute and have the next villain be Scarecrow and have Bruce start up Arkham, it'd be interesting to dive into Martha and Arkham's history.[/BLACKOUT]

Martha Wayne deserves waaaaay more love than she gets in any medium :up:

If the stars ever align, pigs start to fly and speak in high class British accents, and I get to write a Batman screenplay, you can be damn skippy Martha's relationship with Bruce would play a big part.

It's such a goldmine for drama, I'm not sure why it's been barely picked at so far.

Haven't read it, I have almost given up on DC after the new 52. Was it otherwise good?

It was a decent story with a supernatural edge... plus nice interaction between Bruce and Clark.

Batman gets some cool lines. There's a particular moment when a kid is taken with Catwoman, not at all scared and calls her ''Kitty''.

Batman smashes through a window and states, ''That's the problem with kids today... not enough nightmares!''.

But, yeah, I wouldn't rush out and buy it.

Last edited:
It was a decent story with a supernatural edge... plus nice interaction between Bruce and Clark.

Batman gets some cool lines. There's a particular moment when a kid is taken with Catwoman, not at all scared and calls her ''Kitty''.

Batman smashes through a window sand states, ''That's the problem with kids today... not enough nightmares!''.

But, yeah, I wouldn't rush out and buy it.

I bought issue 2 because somebody at the DC board here on the Hype recommended it and I wasn't let down at all. You might want to check that one out apparently it was a big improvement over issue 1 which I never read.

6473d1348764185-batman-michael-keaton-batsuit-batman_returns-_michael_keaton_batsuit_9.jpg

Screen used suit. I've seen the images on Propbay several times.

Btw what's the deal with the Batman Returns Hot Toys dolls? They announced it two years ago, haven't heard anything about it since.

^ Hot Toys?

I wish! Mister Meddle was right. Anyway, MM, I don't know what's up with Hot Toys... but after the debacle surrounding the '89 Batmobile I don't know if we'll be getting any Batman Returns stuff anytime soon.

I wish! Mister Meddle was right. Anyway, MM, I don't know what's up with Hot Toys... but after the debacle surrounding the '89 Batmobile I don't know if we'll be getting any Batman Returns stuff anytime soon.

Wait? Debacle about the Hot Toys 89 Batmobile? please explain!

^Hey man... from what I can gather on the SideshowFreaks forum, nearly 50% of them are damaged (cosmetically).

Ah man, and I really wanted the Hot Toys Batmobile (and Batman). I really hope they will at least release a Batman Returns line somewhere down the road. I wanted to get the 89 Batman doll but when the news came out about the BR line, I decided to wait for the Returns version of Batman (the Returns suit is my favorite movie version of the Batsuit).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"