The Official Batman Returns Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
They didn't need the end shot of Catwoman looking at the bat signal, IMO. Just Bruce seeing the shadow was enough to hint at her survival, and to be mysterious like the character. And also Catwoman is levitating in fresh air, given there is absolutely nowhere for her to be standing. Just ending with the shot of the car driving away would have been wonderfully downbeat.

They didn't need the end shot of Catwoman looking at the bat signal, IMO. Just Bruce seeing the shadow was enough to hint at her survival, and to be mysterious like the character. And also Catwoman is levitating in fresh air, given there is absolutely nowhere for her to be standing. Just ending with the shot of the car driving away would have been wonderfully downbeat.

I think they added it to mirror the first one with Batman standing looking over Gotham. I like it personally, I also think it may have been there to set up a spin-off that never happened (well it sort of did I suppose).

Burton has mentioned many times the ending felt lacking and he wanted to nod the first films ending and hint at a possible a Catwoman sequel, which they knew at that point they were interested in, personally I love it and find it to be quite iconic.

I agree... the film needed that punchy ending and it has become iconic in it's own right. Catwoman's confident shillouette, a snow drenched Gotham and the Batsignal all suggested a great ''The adventure will continue'' vibe.

And frankly, considering how quickly it was put together (Matte painting, a levitating Catwoman, a motorized doll) I think it's downright beautiful.

k4gm6t.gif

Am I the only one to find Devito's Penguin to actually be somewhat aristocratic in spite of his grotesque behavior? He comes off as very charismatic and intelligent, especially in his speeches. The way I see it, for a short time in the movie, he actually becomes the comic book Penguin, but since everything begins and ends within the span of a single movie, his time as the top-hat wearing gentleman of crime is short. Then again, Eckhart's Two-Face didn't get much time to be Two-Face before being shoved off a roof. He never even got to be a crime boss like his comic book counterpart.

I think he's as much as the comic Penguin as Ledger or Hardy are their comic counterparts because they all hit their key notes, respectively. With DeVito, his character is a fraud, representing himself to be something he isn't to the public of Gotham. That's the Penguin. I love that they dropped a few visual elements in there, monocle, cigarette holder, top hat, as it makes it more a complete representation in my eyes.

Yes, it's an "elsewords" kind of adaptation.

I see every CBM as an"alternate universe/comic reboot"adaption and that's why I don't have a problem with changes being made except depending on what exactly those changes are and how it's played out on film

That's a wise approach, but I often find myself wishing to see the "definitive" version, just once.

You have to look at DeVito's Penguin in particular as an elseworld's adaption. The circus gang, the sewer stalking, wearing the dirty white baby gro, drooling down his chin all the time, trying to blow up Gotham City. They're not your typical Penguin traits.

Yeah, and Batman's not supposed to go around and tell everybody his secret identity, but what are you gonna do? :oldrazz:

Yeah, and Batman's not supposed to go around and tell everybody his secret identity, but what are you gonna do? :oldrazz:

You mean unmasking in front of Schreck? Yeah that was foolish. But when you look at the comics, look at how many people know who Batman is. Barbara, Dick, Tim, Jason, Superman and the JL, Bane, Ra's, Hugo Strange, Talia, Catwoman, Dr. Hurt and the Black Glove, Spoiler, Cassandra Cain, Leslie Thompkins, Jean Paul Valley, Hush, and it's implied Joker knows but he just doesn't care.

I think he's as much as the comic Penguin as Ledger or Hardy are their comic counterparts because they all hit their key notes, respectively. With DeVito, his character is a fraud, representing himself to be something he isn't to the public of Gotham. That's the Penguin. I love that they dropped a few visual elements in there, monocle, cigarette holder, top hat, as it makes it more a complete representation in my eyes.

This. :up:

I see every CBM as an"alternate universe/comic reboot"adaption and that's why I don't have a problem with changes being made except depending on what exactly those changes are and how it's played out on film

And this. :up:

That's a wise approach, but I often find myself wishing to see the "definitive" version, just once.

That didn't turn out too good with Watchmen,although I sure enjoyed it

I liked it, too. That's all I really ask.

If anything, "a" Batman movie has much more scope to be true to the mythos and original and interesting, because there is such an infinite amount of material to synthesize into something new. "Watchmen" could only really be a straight adaptation, which was perhaps slightly pointless.

You mean unmasking in front of Schreck? Yeah that was foolish.
Also Rachel and Gordon in the Nolan movies. If I'm not mistaken, the only theatrical Batman that didn't have someone figure it out or stumble upon the truth is Batman: The Movie. Not to go off on a tangent, but does every ****ing superhero have to give away or lose their secret? I mean damn. At least Iron Man cut out the bullhockey and had Tony Stark totally own it.

You mean unmasking in front of Schreck? Yeah that was foolish. But when you look at the comics, look at how many people know who Batman is. Barbara, Dick, Tim, Jason, Superman and the JL, Bane, Ra's, Hugo Strange, Talia, Catwoman, Dr. Hurt and the Black Glove, Spoiler, Cassandra Cain, Leslie Thompkins, Jean Paul Valley, Hush, and it's implied Joker knows but he just doesn't care.

I thought that was the biggest foul in the series.....then again the Vicki reveal was gawdawful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"