The Official Batman Returns Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
currently watching Batman Returns on Encore right now. i LOVE this movie! get really nostalgic watching it.

Michelle Pfeiffer is so damn sexy!

i really like how small scale Gotham is in this film. looks very intimate and it's obvious as hell that this entire film was shot on a set, rather than an open city like the Nolan films.

Keaton is a badass and Devito is just plain awesome. hard to believe it's him as the Penguin.

The returns suit has actually bumped up itself ahead of the begins suit as my 2nd favorite bat suit after TDKR's one.

scaled.php

It was a big improvement over the '89 suit for a number of reasons.

...that penquin is downright terrifying!

Here's some more, I wonder if Hot Toys ever made one for Batman Returns.

gNMiZ.jpg

rRvU7.jpg

V5DSz.jpg

j1Osg.jpg

Pfeiffer's Catwoman :hrt:

It really is amazing how life-like and detailed these types of things are.

You can only judge a movie by what is shown in it, and not what was omitted. Selina was shown running about the rooftops shortly after being shot four times. Whether you took those gun shots to arms, legs, chest....where ever, you're not going to be in any condition to be climbing rooftops. Either she's supernatural or she's got Wolverine's healing ability

Or it's a movie...a rather heightened Tim Burton movie, where she was shown surviving several traumatic incidents, and had one "life" left, and for poetic license, they had her survive.

Hot Toys are actuallly making some Batman Returns figures Kane...

I hope they go all out with Michelle's Catwoman.

Or it's a movie...a rather heightened Tim Burton movie, where she was shown surviving several traumatic incidents, and had one "life" left, and for poetic license, they had her survive.

No, the "it's a movie" excuse doesn't wash. The other incidents she survived could plausibly be survived, like landing in a pit of soft sand or falling through several awnings to break a fall.

However you don't take four gun shots to the body at close range and run and climb about with athletic energy on the rooftops of Gotham shortly afterward.

Honestly, even as a kid, I thought her final appearance was more of a dreamlike/methaphorical happening than a true admission of her still being alive.

Like I said, she was bitten by radioactive cats, radiated by Max Shreck's Power-Plant-That-Is-Not-A-Power-Plant. That's also why her eye sight is suddenly restored.

The "genius" of Batman Returns gets me every time.

Where would this thread be without your invaluable insights?

"Ra-Di-O-active-Spider-Cat"

No, the "it's a movie" excuse doesn't wash. The other incidents she survived could plausibly be survived, like landing in a pit of soft sand or falling through several awnings to break a fall.

However you don't take four gun shots to the body at close range and run and climb about with athletic energy on the rooftops of Gotham shortly afterward.

I don't know why it doesn't wash.

It's not realistic. Because it's an unrealistic movie. I don't recall seeing her run and climb about in the end. I recall seeing her raise her head...she wasn't shot in the neck.

I don't know why it doesn't wash.

It's not realistic. Because it's an unrealistic movie. I don't recall seeing her run and climb about in the end. I recall seeing her raise her head...she wasn't shot in the neck.

You see her shadow on the alley wall running along the side of a building. That's what prompts Bruce to stop the car. Then at the end the camera pans high up into the sky where the batsignal lights, and Catwoman then appears looking at it.

How did she get that high up on that building unless she climbed up. The movie wasn't being subtle here. She was alive and prowling around Gotham's rooftops as Catwoman as per usual.

There's a difference between lack of sublety and expressionism.

I think that final scene was very much an expressionist moment in the film.

There's a difference between lack of sublety and expressionism.

I think that final scene was very much an expressionist moment in the film.

I agree.

You could even interpret it as Bruce's imagination if you really wanted to (though I don't).

It's also a great mirror to the '89 ending.

Your entitled to your opinions, but I think it's blatantly obvious Selina was alive, well, and flitting around as Catwoman at the end. There was even talk of doing a Catwoman spin off with Pfeiffer.

If Batman Returns were a more literal film than it is, the tag of Catwoman apparently having survived would probably be a problem. But a moment of expressionistm or poetic license - as others have very aptly referred to it - is perfect in that movie. And if it's straight-up "she's alive," I'm good with that too.

If Batman Returns were a more literal film than it is, the tag of Catwoman apparently having survived would probably be a problem.

It's not a problem that she did survive. Some just seem galled at the notion that she could have supernatural abilities where she survived four gun shots and she was ok afterward.

It's not even a matter of her surviving. If she had taken the shots to non fatal parts of her body like her arms or legs she would still be unable to be running around prowling rooftops in her Catwoman costume.

I don't get this expressionism point. Selina vanished in the electrical inferno in Penguin's lair. Batman never found her body. Just Schreck's. The movie showed at the end that not only did she survive, but she was out on the prowl as Catwoman again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"