The Avengers The Official 'Hulk in Avengers' thread. - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how it all comes back to "Is he man or monster...or is he BOTH?" :awesome:

Isn't that the point of the Hulk, what is he a man or monster? The hulk in TIH is almost flawless. Look at the cave scene after the campus fight, its about as real as you can get with the Hulk.

Read alot of the posts on the last page alot of you make good points on your claims and I dont think anyone is wrong or right. The Hulk and Banners relationship together is complex and has been showed to us by many different writers. And they each interpet what they think Hulk is to Banner and what Banner is to Hulk.

Isn't that the point of the Hulk, what is he a man or monster? The hulk in TIH is almost flawless. Look at the cave scene after the campus fight, its about as real as you can get with the Hulk.

Yup .... campus scene is still one of my Top 3 moments in all of the MCU.

I love how it all comes back to "Is he man or monster...or is he BOTH?" :awesome:

This is why Banner/Hulk is one of the greatest characters ever created.

I think it works because the line between man and monster is not clear and both Banner and Hulk both possessing heroic traits as well as monstrous ones.

The Incredible Hulk comic will have a new writer Jason Aaron who stated he will get deeper into the heroic and monstrous traits of both Bruce and Hulk.

Unfortunately the problem with doing a CGI Hulk is that it's always going to look off once in a while. Usually more often than not. I think it's because we have some frame of reference which is a real human. Whereas the dragon in HP7.2 looked absolutely incredible, because we have no real dragons to use as a reference...

But with Hulk, we've basically just got a big, muscly dude who is green. That can be achieved in real life with a real human and makeup and camera trickery (forced perspective) so when we see a CGI Hulk, we're always going to pick apart the bits that don't look perfect.

I thought Hulk 2003 was a decent movie, and the CGI was pretty good, and even though I thought the character design and overall movie experience for TIH was better, there were still a LOT of shots that had me cringe...

Unfortunately the problem with doing a CGI Hulk is that it's always going to look off once in a while. Usually more often than not. I think it's because we have some frame of reference which is a real human. Whereas the dragon in HP7.2 looked absolutely incredible, because we have no real dragons to use as a reference...

But with Hulk, we've basically just got a big, muscly dude who is green. That can be achieved in real life with a real human and makeup and camera trickery (forced perspective) so when we see a CGI Hulk, we're always going to pick apart the bits that don't look perfect.

I thought Hulk 2003 was a decent movie, and the CGI was pretty good, and even though I thought the character design and overall movie experience for TIH was better, there were still a LOT of shots that had me cringe...

Is it just me or does hulk look nothing like ruffalo? i thought they said that they used ruffalo's features in the hulk? he looks like the 2008 version just with a bigger forehead.

and how will they make a connection to the 2008 film? it think they should mention the events of the 2008 film and the connection between the super soldier serum of steve rodgers and how ruffalo (banner) became the hulk.

maybe they should even use footage from the 2008 film to make a connection.

Reminds me of that song from Disney's Hunchback. "Who is the monster and who is the man?"

Man you nailed it.

Everyone can make claim they know the answer to this, but that intentionally gray (pun intended) question on the cover of issue #1 is what makes for such an interesting character. Most of the time, neither Banner nor Hulk will ever acknowledge that they mightbe two sides of the same coin, but do they protest too much?
Many writers have explored both sides of the fence. Byrne totally separated them, and Peter David drove home the multiple personality idea. It's really what serves the story. So I don't think there is one right answer.

That's why this has remained my favorite character for over 30 yrs.

As for Avengers, I just hope Hulk doesn't get the shaft. I think this has potentiol to be his best showing. I'm just looking forward to seeing him on the big screen for yet a third time.

Yea, there were good aspects of his rendering in the Lee version. I agree with most that his place in the environment was better. I would add that he seemed to have real "weight" in Angs version, which TIH lacked at times.

Other than a few things I find TIH superior by a good margin. Over the years I have come to appreciate what Ang tried to do though. It was the first attempt at a true character drama for him. Ang really dove into what Banner and Hulk were all about as characters and tried to do something with that, rather than relying on action and smashing things to carry the load.

Man you nailed it.

Everyone can make claim they know the answer to this, but that intentionally gray (pun intended) question on the cover of issue #1 is what makes for such an interesting character. Most of the time, neither Banner nor Hulk will ever acknowledge that they mightbe two sides of the same coin, but do they protest too much?
Many writers have explored both sides of the fence. Byrne totally separated them, and Peter David drove home the multiple personality idea. It's really what serves the story. So I don't think there is one right answer.

As for Avengers, I just hope Hulk doesn't get the shaft. I think this has potentiol to be his best showing. I'm just looking forward to seeing him on the big screen for yet a third time.

Why do you think Hulk would get the shaft?

Man you nailed it.

Agreed. Hulk is a very complex and versatile character. there's so many angles you can explore with him.:word:

I've never liked the look of the Ang Lee Hulk to be honest, and much preferred TIH's take on it.

I felt Ang Lee's Hulk looked too bloated, the purple and green used for him were way too bright and and the textures on both his clothes and skin didn't look realistic. I also hated the quizzical childlike expressions he seemed to have a lot of the time.

Whereas in TIH, they made him look angry for the vast majority of the time, which is what he is. The green was darker and this added more to his menacing look, and the veins & ripped look was more realistic considering the muscle mass and definition he has as the Hulk.

images

425theincrediblehulk033108.jpg

those two pics perfectly summarize what most people are saying

ang's hulk = clay/taffee or stretch armstrong type rubber

letterier's = hard rubber / Tires

if i had to choose, i'd go with TIH. :whatever:

what's the hulk's texture supposed to be like anyways? :huh:

But the Hulk is six guys wider. No BB player is that big. If you make Hulk too big it becomes about his height (Giant-Man) & not his strength. Just look at the last two movies a 15' Hulk was like King Kong & In TIH they had to make the Abombination even bigger to emphasize more strength. Hulk needs to interact with the Avengers he needs to fit inside buildings. The Hulk was never a giant creature. Since Ang Lee's movie the Artists have gone wild to compete with that failed version.

hulktoobig23.jpg

I'm not advocating he be 15 ft tall. I don't like that either. Just that I like the 8-9 ft range. I wouldn't be disappointed if he was 7.5 either though. He would still be huge. I definitely don't want him any bigger than 9 ft.

My take on Hulk's height is that it just wouldn't seem right if any human was almost as tall as him. So personally I'd prefer 8ft something as opposed to 7ft something. That way, even a very tall human man (6"5 for example) will be dwarfed by him.

I wouldn't mind a 7-8ft Hulk - I prefer Hulk to be able to stand in a normal room, but have to walk through a door sideways (if he wants to leave the doorway intact).

Sorry about before with the arguement. I know sometimes I can come off pretty confusing I apologize. I was just stating the argument that he was upset that it was a design from the 60's as in the time period and that IM and Thors designs from the time period of the 60's looked just as cheesy. I was just arguing that the way anatomy looks doesnt change no matter how long, but technology/costume designs do change and frequently and pretty drastically.

Anyway....yea I mean I'm ok with the 50/50 Hulk Banner I guess Ive just been watching the old cartoon on netflix as well as Avengers EMH where its more 80/20 or even 90/10.

I really love Hulks personality in those shows.....I hope it can transfer to the screen well.

those two pics perfectly summarize what most people are saying

ang's hulk = clay/taffee or stretch armstrong type rubber

letterier's = hard rubber / Tires

if i had to choose, i'd go with TIH. :whatever:

what's the hulk's texture supposed to be like anyways?
:huh:

Good question?

I wouldn't mind a 7-8ft Hulk - I prefer Hulk to be able to stand in a normal room, but have to walk through a door sideways (if he wants to leave the doorway intact).

After seeing all the Hulk films and getting a good look at size comparison, I think Hulk should be about 8 ft to 8 ft 6 inch.

What makes Hulk hulk, is that he's bulky not so much that he's tall, although he should still have an imposing height.

I honestly dont think his skin should be made to look like anything else other then.....well skin.

I can see wehre the 2 Hulk designs look really different. I think this is do to the art. The bump/spec/normal maps applied to TIH CG art is far more superior then Ang's who looks like hes made out of glossy stretch armstrong type rubber.

I think the skin should be no more or less poreuss or have any different consistency then normal skin (other than the fact that he can difflect bullets :D )

Edit: I also think why TIH's Hulk looks to have more of a "rubber tire" feel is because they put soo much detail in all the striations in his muscles that it has a very bumpy feel to the overall look, which I mean if you have the same body type as say a world class body builder thats pretty much what you get.....

Should his muscles be solid masses or have more of that detailed Bruce Lee type striations in his muscles? HmMmMmMm

Last edited:
^ Both a bodybuilder expample and the O.G. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"