The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0 - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're looking to gain muscle, you'll have to accept you'll put on a bit of BF too. It just goes with the territory, unless you're diet is amazing, because fundamentally, you need more calories to build muscle.

As to protein powders, provided you have a diet that gives you enough protein, you shouldn't really need it but, if you're desperate, every little helps.

In regards to creatine, I think it would be better to leave it a couple weeks.

In terms of training, I always go for isolated days, so I have a leg day, chest day, back day, shoulders day. I vastly prefer it to full body, I'm able to build faster doing it and really concentrate on the targeted areas.

What weight and rough bf are you, and what would you like to be?

Well I'm 5'10 with a medium frame, maybe slightly towards the large side of medium and I'm quite muscular naturally and athletic. My weight when in decent shape has been between 12 stone 6 pounds and 13 stone 4 (174-186 lbs) depending on muscle size and body fat. I'm currently 13 stone 8 pounds (190 lbs) roughly and have at least 10 lbs of fat to shift, maybe a little more. I'm looking at getting to around 13 stone 182 lbs.

Then from that point I can look at my body fat and muscle size and maybe then reduce or increase one or the other. From past experience my chest, arms and legs have always grown fast and I've been strong in those areas, and I think I may have neglected my upper back/traps and side and rear delts a little, although my lats and back width/thickness was good.

I don't want to be too bulky, just good symmetry and overall fitness and health. The only thing is that I had shoulder repair surgery which has visibly altered my right trap and deltoid positions, so I will have to see if I can get some balance there somehow. I'm not sure how the right shoulder/traps area will respond and grow yet so that will be fun seeing how that goes.

It's like starting from scratch again really and being a bit older now wont help things I suppose. I'll just have to see it as a challenge and remember to be patient as I can be quite hard on myself if I'm not great at something.

Thanks for the advice Llama, any suggestions or ideas from you guys is appreciated :up:

Managed to finally get off my plateau for lifting this past month w/o any supplemental use. went up 5-10 lbs than I usually do. Trying to get down to at least 190 by July.

starting May 4th, I will be working overnight at my job in the Grocery Department. It is an active job, where i'll be breaking down pallets and moving stock, etc.

I hope this will help jumpstart my motivation cuz i've seemed to hate lost it

I've been working fairly consistently these last several weeks and I think I have pretty much now settled into my meat free diet.

So, just for a giggle, I took a torso selfie today and have put it alongside what I looked like on day 1. Hopefully you will be able to tell which is which!
Although the dates on the images will probably give it away... :cwink:

The Day 1 picture is my "Go To" image when I am struggling to maintain motivation.

I think I have done well, but there is still a ways to go yet. At least I think so. Judge for yourself.
I have put the image in a spoiler to protect Humanity...

TLS... I can assure you that what I now look like is completely natural and I am older than Hugh Jackman! It can be done naturally... :cwink:

Start-Now.png

Last edited:
True

I reckon it has been invented by female athletes and inventors about 300'000 times already. They just can't get any companies to market the product hahaha.

I bet it hasn't stopped them trying out self made prototypes though :woot:

Brings new meaning to getting a buzzzz from training...:hehe:

This. Made me laugh a lot... :woot:

Haha, you remind me of me, maybe that's why I like you :woot:

(Is that a narcissistic trait?)

I shouldn't worry Retro, I'd have probably thought vibrams five fingers was some kind of new "ladies toy" that brings pleasure when they run...

Five fingers sounded a bit painful though :hmm

At least you looked up DOMS, that could stand for quite a few things that would be better off not posted here :hehe:

I'm just about to start some light pre-training training and stretching and get back in the pool and on my bike too. I've had the all clear on some injuries at last so I can make a slow start. I'm really looking forward to it and I'm going to try and get in good shape for summer. I need to lose about 8-10 pounds of fat and hope to gain quite a bit of muscle back. My body should respond pretty well as I've been unable to do any fitness or activity at all for a long time.

I'm going to take it steady and make sure I perform all exercises and activity with good technique and form so I can minimise injury and also to get the best results. I will have to relearn that mind-muscle connection thing too which I find gives great results. (I shall become one again with mind, body, soul and the force!)

Can anyone advise me about what exercises to stick to as I'm thinking I should do the main ones only at the moment and also train the whole body in each session. Should I do this or should I split things up right from the get go?

Also I'm in two minds about using creatine from when I start training for the first maybe three months, or leave the creatine for a while and just stick to a good diet and use protein powder?

I have trained in the past and have been in good shape but I've never gone further than training my whole body two or three times a week, I did notice that this does lead to a sticking point and then I just maintained a good level of fitness and muscle.

Any advice and support would be great guys as it's hard to get back into that mindset and discipline that I once had. (I'm thinking about Friday night curry night already and a few cold ones!) I must stay strong!

Maybe I should start Monday and keep a training/diet diary?

I was worried about DOMS too. That's why I checked that baby out!

I think a few pages back I gave out some advice to some one else about training and diet... If I find it, I'll add it here as a link.
But to summarise, ahem! :yay:

I find that having split days training works really well. Opposite body parts each day. Back/Biceps, Chest/Triceps, Legs/Shoulders, Abs/Cardio. Something like that.
Good diet is absolutely essential as is plenty of sleep and having rest days.
Cut right back on bad fats and refined sugars. You need some fat, but the right ones.
Cut back or ditch red meat. If you want to stay with eating meat, have chicken, tuna, salmon, mackerel things like that.
Plenty of fruit and vegetables.
Nuts and Seeds.

At the moment I'm taking protein shakes, creatine and glutamine. I Have been plateaued for a while and am hoping this gives me a bit of a shove in the right direction. But I don't use these as a substitute for eating well.

That's it in a nutshell.

And good luck with your training. Keep us all updated now! :woot:

Last edited:
Does anyone here surf? I'd like to learn at some point. Of course, the weather over here isn't that great at all, and it's probably a hundred miles away or more from the nearest beach. I don't suppose there are indoor surfing centres which simulate the feel of being on the waves in the ocean?

I have no idea how much a board or a wetsuit would cost though. But it doesn't sound that fun to wear a wetsuit. If only I were in a country where it was so hot that people could surf just in their swimsuits.

Does anyone here surf? I'd like to learn at some point. Of course, the weather over here isn't that great at all, and it's probably a hundred miles away or more from the nearest beach. I don't suppose there are indoor surfing centres which simulate the feel of being on the waves in the ocean?

I have no idea how much a board or a wetsuit would cost though. But it doesn't sound that fun to wear a wetsuit. If only I were in a country where it was so hot that people could surf just in their swimsuits.

Well these machines exist

[YT]8v1yrZkApVs[/YT]

But I have no idea of where you will find one.

starting May 4th, I will be working overnight at my job in the Grocery Department. It is an active job, where i'll be breaking down pallets and moving stock, etc.

Well even if you don't have the motivation to work out having a physical job is still good for you. Imagine sitting at a desk all day and then not having an active lifestyle out of work.

So, just for a giggle, I took a torso selfie today and have put it alongside what I looked like on day 1. Hopefully you will be able to tell which is which!

Looking really good there :up:

I've been working fairly consistently these last several weeks and I think I have pretty much now settled into my meat free diet.

The Day 1 picture is my "Go To" image when I am struggling to maintain motivation.

I think I have done well, but there is still a ways to go yet. At least I think so. Judge for yourself.

TLS... I can assure you that what I now look like is completely natural and I am older than Hugh Jackman! It can be done naturally... :cwink:

Start-Now.png

Dang dude! Keep it up! You're doing great!

Thanks guys... Means a lot to hear praise from my fellow fitness fanatics! :yay:

Any time man!

Also, finally got a chin up bar!:D

Good for you. That will add some exercises to your routines. You should get one of those harness things too (I forget what they're called) that can fit over that and enable you to do ab crunches/ leg pull-ups while suspended. I actually don't use that method anymore though, as I found that doing it in the pool is more beneficial (you're better supported and the water adds some resistance).

Thanks guys... Means a lot to hear praise from my fellow fitness fanatics! :yay:

Well done. You really got rid of that pot belly. Why are you not wearing any underpants in that first pic though?

Maybe I should start Monday and keep a training/diet diary?

I highly recommend this program called Shortcut to Shred:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jim-stoppani-six-week-shortcut-to-shred-training-overview.html

Wait training that incorporates a lot of HIIT. It's very tough but Jim Stoppani breaks down the training program and the nutrition aspect of it. At least give it a look and watch some of his videos on it. I think this sounds about what you're going after (Gaining muscle/losing fat).

Well done. You really got rid of that pot belly. Why are you not wearing any underpants in that first pic though?

I was so fat, there were no underpants that fitted me? :cwink:
Serious answer, I never thought that anyone but myself would ever see that image...

Last edited:
I was so fat, there were no underpants that fitted me? :cwink:
Serious answer, I never thought that anyone but myself would ever see that image...

Any it probably should've stayed that way. :oldrazz:

Anyone working out today? I have missed a workout this week so I will have to combine two of my sessions today instead.
Lucky for me I am on a deload week, otherwise it would be a long and rough workout.

Anyone working out today? I have missed a workout this week so I will have to combine two of my sessions today instead.
Lucky for me I am on a deload week, otherwise it would be a long and rough workout.

I missed a workout day this Thursday just gone. So I worked out on Saturday to make up for it... Boy did I make up for it! My legs are not gonna forgive me until Tuesday I reckon. :woot:

But today is a well earned rest day... Making a saucepan load of broccoli and carrot soup to have as snacks during the week.

Use to do this for Safeway years ago. It is physical work, just guard your back. I have a bad back/oblique issues still to this day because i wouldn't listen to my co-workers and wear a weigh belt like a lot of the other guys on the job did.

Start-Now.png
Great job, man. All your hard work payed off.

^^^
Thanks TLS. Keep on plugging away at your training. You'll get there... :yay:

I missed a workout day this Thursday just gone. So I worked out on Saturday to make up for it... Boy did I make up for it! My legs are not gonna forgive me until Tuesday I reckon. :woot:

But today is a well earned rest day... Making a saucepan load of broccoli and carrot soup to have as snacks during the week.

Haha nice :woot:

My session went on longer than expected cuz I had the Discovery Channel on in the background lol.

Use to do this for Safeway years ago. It is physical work, just guard your back. I have a bad back/oblique issues still to this day because i wouldn't listen to my co-workers and wear a weigh belt like a lot of the other guys on the job did.

thanks for the tip :up:

i think i still have one of those around here, so it's time to dig it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"