The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread - - - - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would mean that Disney would control as much streaming content as Warner who own both Cinemax and HBO. That plus Direct TV which kind of counts as well.

This would mean that Comcast would need to start offering an OTT streaming alternative to their cable service.

I suspect there’s a deal on the table right now that both sides would be willing to take if they were convinced it was the best they could do.

... but both sides probably also think they can do better. And that’s what will take some time. Over the next several weeks, both sides will be trying to convince the other that’s as far as they’re going.

I think one thing we can reasonbly infer from the lack of comment on both sides is it’s not dead. If it were dead, both sides would want to walk this back to avoid allowing speculation to get out of hand.

Yeah, most likely.

So, what's the update so far? With his Iger stuff/interview and the Hulu stuff? Does that increase or decrease the chances of happening?

I think one thing we can reasonbly infer from the lack of comment on both sides is it’s not dead. If it were dead, both sides would want to walk this back to avoid allowing speculation to get out of hand.

What if, after all these talks, Fox ends up buying Disney instead. :eek: :oldrazz:

There would be sooo much nerd rage.
9fp7ab.gif

One thing I really think made Marvel see they "needed" both FF and X-Men was the major disaster dumpster fire that is Inhumans. It is disturbingly terrible and horribly reviewed and as of now their biggest flop. That is most likely what propelled them to move forward with the deal.

Last edited:
Marvel just need to take back the FF and X-Men but give Fox the Inhumans and say that it was Fox who filmed that crap.

Nothing is wrong with the Inhumans property itself. It was the ****ed up approach that they took that was the problem. It would have been the exact same had they did that **** with the XMen.

Trade Fox the FF and X-Men for Scott Buck and Josh Trank (again). :o

Nothing is wrong with the Inhumans property itself. It was the ****ed up approach that they took that was the problem. It would have been the exact same had they did that **** with the XMen.

Yeah, terrible writing is terrible writing and no fresh characters are going to fix that.

But there's also the broader concept in which it seemed that Marvel was going to use the Inhumans as their version of mutants.

Which also ties into the idea that some people feel mutants don't fit in the MCU. With all the effort Marvel was putting into trying to make the Inhumans "freaks" it seems like they would like to have mutants in their world.

Perhaps the notion that Fox wants to wait until the Sky has played out before taking this leap is the main reason behind the delay. In regards to Hulu, I suppose once Fox is out of the Entertainment business it literally makes no sense for them to remain as a stakeholder. Whether or not Disney would be allowed to remain a majority stakeholder in Hulu remains to be seen, as has been pointed out about regulatory bodies concerning OTT services being a bit behind the times.

Likely there is an offer in play, but with Sky being the unknown variable that would seem to be the notion that Fox wants to wait and see before taking any deal.

In that light "talks" it would seem have "ended" pending Sky, and the decision to accept/reject/renegotiate. If Fox gets Sky, I can see them probably pushing for a higher bid to help offset that acquisition. Though I don't think Fox would include it in its deal to Disney. Not after the lengths they have gone to get it.

Settle in folks, its going to be a long winter.

Fox probably doesn't have that money
They don't. They were being faced with taking on a considerable to massive amount of long term debt when they were trying to acquire Time Warner, who by comparison are much, much smaller than Disney.

That would mean that Disney would control as much streaming content as Warner who own both Cinemax and HBO.

This would mean that Comcast would need to start offering an OTT streaming alternative to their cable service.
I'm very curious to see what Comcast will do. It makes me start to wonder if they will be the ones to finally pursue Netflix.

That plus Direct TV which kind of counts as well.
This is something I watching playout with regards to DOJ approval to their acquisition of Time Warner. I get where the DOJ is coming from now with their request that at&t sell either Direct TV or Turner Communications. (Though most outlets are reporting that it is just CNN - it's not). If at&t didn't own Direct TV this buyout would have been approved already.

Disney's market cap is something like $160 billion, so it's nearly as realistic that I could buy them as Fox - either way, one of us would have to borrow a LOT of money.

Yeah, terrible writing is terrible writing and no fresh characters are going to fix that.

But there's also the broader concept in which it seemed that Marvel was going to use the Inhumans as their version of mutants.

Which also ties into the idea that some people feel mutants don't fit in the MCU. With all the effort Marvel was putting into trying to make the Inhumans "freaks" it seems like they would like to have mutants in their world.

Marvel will be wise not to give up on the Inhumans so quickly. Replace its show runner and move it to their new streaming service, and it will be like a soft reboot. Also, give them their iconic costumes, for cryin' out loud.

I'm very curious to see what Comcast will do. It makes me start to wonder if they will be the ones to finally pursue Netflix.

Since Disney is claiming their service will be less expensive than Netflix, and since the best films Netflix has featured have typically been Disney films and some of their best series were Marvel series, Disney, with or without Fox, is going to be putting a lot of pressure on Netflix.

I'd be awfully nervous about buying or investing in Netflix at the moment.

Marvel will be wise not to give up on the Inhumans so quickly. Replace its show runner and move it to their new streaming service, and it will be like a soft reboot. Also, give them their iconic costumes, for cryin' out loud.

Maybe, but it was a really, really bad show, and I'm not sure if they can come back from that.

My wife, who will sit through just about any show, eventually told me she just didn't want to watch it anymore and I should watch it while she's not around if I really wanted to see the last episodes.

Maybe, but it was a really, really bad show, and I'm not sure if they can come back from that.

My wife, who will sit through just about any show, eventually told me she just didn't want to watch it anymore and I should watch it while she's not around if I really wanted to see the last episodes.

You should've given her a choice between watching Fant4stic on replay or watching the remaining Inhumans episodes. That would've given her the motivation she needed.

You should've given her a choice between watching Fant4stic on replay or watching the remaining Inhumans episodes. That would've given her the motivation she needed.

:funny:

It really was sort of comical. A couple weeks ago, even though she hadn't said anything, I felt the show was so bad that I felt guilty for inflicting it on her.

So I woke up earlier than her on a Saturday morning, went downstairs and started watching the previous night's episode by myself. She came down-stairs, saw I was watching it and said: "I have a confession to make." I said: "You can't stand this show and it's painful to watch and you would rather never have to see it again." and she said: "Yeah, that's pretty much it. Do you mind watching it on your own?"

Sure they can. If Feige wants to take inhumans under his wings, it will shine. Give it to him and watch it become a big property. Give the Avengers to Scott Buck and see what happens.

When Marvel gets FF back, I'd love to see them with The Inhumans. It makes so much sense. Can't we just pretend that Fan$h!tic and Inhumans never happened? I can because I never saw either one of them.

Since Disney is claiming their service will be less expensive than Netflix, and since the best films Netflix has featured have typically been Disney films and some of their best series were Marvel series, Disney, with or without Fox, is going to be putting a lot of pressure on Netflix.

I'd be awfully nervous about buying or investing in Netflix at the moment.
Well, that's where things start further developing for the Entertainment industry even more. Comcast could leverage its existing NBC-Universal properties permanently onto the service, but just like Disney would need more to make the service more viable. Notwithstanding that Netflix on its own doesn't get its own great content, but on the long term they will continue to need even more.

The one bit that is being mentioned over and over about Entertainment is consolidation. Of the current "Big 6" of Hollywood, only Disney, Time Warner, and NBC-Universal have the necessary scale to weather the changes hitting the industry, and two of those are owned/being acquired by a service provider. Fox, Viacom, and Sony are nowhere near the scale of the other 3. If/when the Disney/Fox deal happens it is going to prime the other two to be next. My money would be on Comcast to pursue either Viacom or Sony. With Sony being the more opportune target since they'd have to pry Viacom from Sumner Redstone's dead grip before he would ever let go (his daughter is purportedly no better). Though property wise, Viacom has far more viable assets than Sony and would better complement them.

Granted Comcast could go that route without ever even looking at Netflix. No matter how you shake things, major change seems to be coming.

Sure they can. If Feige wants to take inhumans under his wings, it will shine. Give it to him and watch it become a big property. Give the Avengers to Scott Buck and see what happens.

But do you think Feige would work with the existing cast, characters, story-line, or would he completely scrap it and start fresh?

I think the biggest problem with the show is the main characters are weak, shallow and unlikable, and I think it's hard to come back from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"