The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the problem with the Inhumans is. . . even with the best of efforts? They are a problematic property. The TV show may have made everything much much worse, but it didn't create the problems from scratch: at heart, Attilan is authoritarian caste system built around eugenics and a long history of slavery. Usually, Black Bolt and his inner circle are trying to reform it, but. . . that is still where they come from.

A lot of that could be dropped in a film adaptation.

Finally it looks like DIS will sell assets to get approval in Brazil and Mexico.

CADE will review it next week should get conditional approval.

The weird politics of the Inhumans are what make them interesting. That's what Marvel royally missed with this whole Inhumans push, and why with a few exceptions like Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl (whose Inhuman status really isn't that relevant), it failed so spectacularly. When you divest them of Attilan and all the weird royal intrigue, they basically become dime store X-Men.

The TV show sort of got this, and even that squandered the premise by having the majority of the show take place on Earth (ugh). Done right, the Inhumans should be something like Dune meets Game of Thrones, not just X-Men without Wolverine.

When they say they expect it to complete by March, are we talking about the beginning of March or end of March? Is it likely to complete by say, the end of next week which is the beginning of March?

Finally it looks like DIS will sell assets to get approval in Brazil and Mexico.

CADE will review it next week should get conditional approval.
Even after Brazil and Mexico give the conditional approval next week, would there still be some places left like Chile for example? Also why is Jersey listed as a place to get required approval despite it being very small?

Is it bittersweet to anyone else that it’s a very real possibility we will never see the original Iron Man, Cap, or Thor interact with the F4 or X-men on screen? Never say never but I don’t see a big crossover event with all of them happening.

Even after Brazil and Mexico give the conditional approval next week, would there still be some places left like Chile for example? Also why is Jersey listed as a place to get required approval despite it being very small?
I think probably other approvals have been granted or are forthcoming but not updated since many regulators don’t announce approvals case by case only when it’s a very special case. Like in China the simple cases approvals are normally announced every quarter altogether, in NZ it’s every month for cases approved like 2 months ago. It’s up to the companies to update the regulatory process. As for Jersey who knows it’s an offshore tax center maybe DIS has something there needs to get approved but I would think it’s only formality and if there is any trouble it can always pay itself out there.

It’s good to see DIS is seeking to sell in Mexico to get it done with since even the president has weighed in, before the deal snowballs into a political drama.

Is it bittersweet to anyone else that it’s a very real possibility we will never see the original Iron Man, Cap, or Thor interact with the F4 or X-men on screen? Never say never but I don’t see a big crossover event with all of them happening.
Yeah I’m with ya

But it’s better than never getting them in the MCU at all

It is in a way but by the same token, they couldn't be coming at a better time. We're at the point where most of the original, flagship Avengers are being phased out of the MCU. The X-Men and F4 will be the next generation of heroes that gives the MCU another 25+ years of storytelling potential

The weird politics of the Inhumans are what make them interesting. That's what Marvel royally missed with this whole Inhumans push, and why with a few exceptions like Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl (whose Inhuman status really isn't that relevant), it failed so spectacularly. When you divest them of Attilan and all the weird royal intrigue, they basically become dime store X-Men.

The TV show sort of got this, and even that squandered the premise by having the majority of the show take place on Earth (ugh). Done right, the Inhumans should be something like Dune meets Game of Thrones, not just X-Men without Wolverine.

Exactly this.

inhumans should be rebooted to that in about 3-5 years. Make Scott Buck's version non cannon to the MCU.

Reactions: MbJ
Exactly this.

inhumans should be rebooted to that in about 3-5 years. Make Scott Buck's version non cannon to the MCU.

Imagine if instead we got the SBCU: the Scott Buck cinematic universe. It would consist of the Inhumans and Iron Fist. When you chop off the head of Fox, another universe grows up in its place.

I believe Hulk and the theme park rights are next.

And Namor and Hulk full rights. Don't forget those 2...

Then our Hopes will have to focus on getting Perlmutter exiled to the Negative Zone.

Any rights that Comcast own will only be reacquired if there's a deal to be made for their 30% of Hulu IMO. If that happens, then those rights are most likely acquired at the same time since it'll be relatively small compared to the Hulu equity.

Spider Man rights will also depend on how willing and wanting Sony is to buy some other things like Fox Sports Latin America, Endemol Shine, etc. They may also need to divest of a JV they have with Disney in India IIRC. Those will be what can kick off such an acquisition.

If I were Iger or at the board, I would suggest going after future Terminator and legacy Indiana Jones 1-4 and Titanic distribution rights from Paramount (the latter only domestic IIRC). Much cheaper than the former 2 and a boost to the content for Disney+, especially after new Indy movies come out. Paramount is also not as big as it once was, so good timing.

If I were Iger or at the board, I would suggest going after future Terminator and legacy Indiana Jones 1-4 and Titanic distribution rights from Paramount (the latter only domestic IIRC). Much cheaper than the former 2 and a boost to the content for Disney+, especially after new Indy movies come out. Paramount is also not as big as it once was, so good timing.

Disney actually did purchase away Paramount's chunk of the Indiana Jones rights years ago. It was one of the first signs that they were interested in doing things with the character.

Disney actually did purchase away Paramount's chunk of the Indiana Jones rights years ago. It was one of the first signs that they were interested in doing things with the character.

They purchased the rights of distribution to future movies (Paramount still gets some participation).

Indiana Jones 1-4 distribution rights are still with Paramount.

What would it take for Sony to give him up is the question

Honestly if it wasn't for the Marvel lawsuit for 25% of the merchandise rights and Iger's business acumen to buy the other 25% after the Sony hack, I don't think Sony would ever give it up besides a full on acquisition of the company a la Fox.

As is, Sony only holds movie rights, much easier to pry that from them. It does get more expensive as the movie industry grows WW though. 10 years ago Venom would have made maybe 200-300MM WW IMO.

I think it is harder to do while Sony still is struggling for IPs. If they get more Jumanjis and such of their own that they can sell merchandise for as well as distribute, then I think they will sell Spider-Man at that point if it makes business sense. But, Sony is still searching for IPs that will make them the big bucks outside of Spider-Man. Lots of their options like The Dark Tower have flopped. Until such time as they either don't need him anymore, or are leaving the film business entirely, I see them clinging for dear life.

Surprised people actually believed this rumor.

Does make the DP situation more interesting, if Feige/Marvel aren't willing to do R-rated movies.

Hmm, shame they haven’t made better use of them since. Can’t believe there’s no modern Indiana Jones game series.

Surprised people actually believed this rumor.

Does make the DP situation more interesting, if Feige/Marvel aren't willing to do R-rated movies.

I don't think this means they aren't willing to make other properties R rated. The situation Widow may be that she has been in PG-13 films and making the jump to R may be a risk they are not willing to take. She is linked with their most lucrative property and they likely just don't want to jeopardize that and will play things safe.

I don't think this means they aren't willing to make other properties R rated. The situation Widow may be that she has been in PG-13 films and making the jump to R may be a risk they are not willing to take. She is linked with their most lucrative property and they likely just don't want to jeopardize that and will play things safe.
That, & China in particular has been a very big market for the Marvel movies. China doesn’t allow any R-rated flicks so you’d be risking losing a key international market if you were to go with an R-rating for Widow. Of course, as the Deadpool films have shown you can be successful without the Middle Kingdom but it doesn’t hurt to have your movie release in that market considering how enormously successful the Marvel films(including the Fox X-Men flicks) have been in that territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"