The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetically, if they could get the Rock to play Namor, they probably would cast someone like the Rock, who is half-Samoan/half-African American.

Idk, I think Marvel would want to avoid the similarity to polynesian Momoa-Aquaman
but then again, they do seem to relish doing something better than the other studios and rubbing it in their faces, so maybe..

:funny:

My wife and me:

428661_2903695797019_1532025214_n.jpg

So you're rocking the long hair while your wife is rocking the goatee? :up:

Hypothetically, if they could get the Rock to play Namor, they probably would cast someone like the Rock, who is half-Samoan/half-African American.

I would rather not have the Rock as Namor. Plus he just seems too big for the part as well. I'd like someone less built and more streamlined. Someone with an actual swimmer physique.

I just read an interview on CBM where Toby Kebell is saying Trank's cut is a "great film you'll never see." He also says it was a "much darker version." I know a lot of people will groan at that but, damn, I would have liked to see this cut if only to see what the more complete film would have been because the TC we got is very obviously unfinished. If only Trank didn't open his big mouth, we could have had a chance to see it.

Then again, maybe I'm the only one who cares to see it anyway. :p

I've said it before, I am 100% down for Asian Namor. I mean look at those eyebrows.
namor_zps448702d1.gif

No, because he was drawn in a way that made him appear generally Asian.

If he was drawn as a black guy or Hispanic, I'd want a black guy or Hispanic to play him.

Considering how few Asians there are in the MCU, I don't see why he should be changed. Particularly not if your reasoning is he uses a fighting style that appears Asian and you don't want to have an Asian using an Asian fighting style.

Keep in mind "Martial Art" is a general term. American Boxing is a form of martial art. Karate is Japanese. Taekwondo is Korean, Kung Fu is Chinese.

There's a reason we see many Asians using Asian fighting styles . . . because Asian fighting styles come from Asia.

Karnak's always been drawn ethincally ambiguous.

And that last statement isn't true. Hollywood always pigeonholes Asian actors into playing martial arts characters (and that's been something they've been criticizing for a long time). It's okay if you have Asians doing martial arts, but you should also counterbalance that by providing opportunities to have other roles. I say let Karnak be cast with a different race and have Gorgon or Triton be made Asian.

I say they play it safe and make none of them white.

An Asian Namor would be cool. Karnak being full Asian wouldn't really work given the Inhuman Royal family are all related and they probably won't cast the rest of the family as Asian. Karnak and Triton being half Asian would be ok though.

Karnak's always been drawn ethincally ambiguous.

And that last statement isn't true. Hollywood always pigeonholes Asian actors into playing martial arts characters (and that's been something they've been criticizing for a long time). It's okay if you have Asians doing martial arts, but you should also counterbalance that by providing opportunities to have other roles. I say let Karnak be cast with a different race and have Gorgon or Triton be made Asian.

3596ee06c37d36688980729c35204c6d.jpg
0ff3811e578839536c0f1413ff5ae8e6.jpg

Okay, so in your opinion, the guy on the left (who doesn't appear slightly Asian) should be portrayed by an Asian while the guy on the right (who does appear Asian) should be portrayed by somebody who is anything but Asian.

Because Asian films featuring Asian fighting styles became popular in the US and led to US films using some of those same elements. And you believe that has created a social injustice.

I believe he should be played by someone who resembles the character and I believe the primary responsibility of the film-maker should be to bring the comic-books to life.

I'm not saying he has to be Asian. He could be any actor that fits. But your insistence that he can't be played by by an Asian rubs me the wrong way. Film-makers should make films. They shouldn't be fixated on race and it shouldn't be their responsibility to try to fix the world's problems or avoid doing what makes sense because someone, somewhere might manufacture some reason to be offended. Someone will always find a reason to be offended no matter how inoffensive people try to be.

Everybody's welcome to their opinion. Just don't expect me to agree.

Last edited:
The characters weren't created in a cultural vacuum, the films created today should not be limited to the sensibilities of half a century ago.

I just read an interview on CBM where Toby Kebell is saying Trank's cut is a "great film you'll never see." He also says it was a "much darker version." I know a lot of people will groan at that but, damn, I would have liked to see this cut if only to see what the more complete film would have been because the TC we got is very obviously unfinished. If only Trank didn't open his big mouth, we could have had a chance to see it.

I've read that from Kebbell and I don't believe he saw the 'Trank cut'. Actors ain't required for that, so he is assuming it was 'great' just on the things he filmed or was in the script that never made the cut.

Way I see it, if it was good why did the suits step in to reshoot most of the 2nd half? And the first 40/50 mins, which was Trank's, was dull as dishwater crap too.

I found a copy of Fant2stic at Half Price books for $2 yesterday.....I watched it this morning.

As a science fiction/horror movie it is OK. I've seen the story multiple times though. Scientist/scientists creates a transporter, goes through it, and is horribly transformed - THE FLY (1958), THE RETURN OF THE FLY (1959), THE CURSE OF THE FLY (1865), THE FLY (1986), 4D MAN (1959).....As a superhero movie it is bad to fair. The transformed don't want to be heroes. They don't want their powers. In the case of one (the Thing) he reluctantly uses his powers for the military and becomes a killing machine for them before they finally have to ban together to save the world. As a FANTASTIC FOUR adaptation it is absolutely terrible. They take the 50+ years history of the characters....and ignore it. Sue and Johnny are not blood kin, they are also of different races, instead of being a group of varying aged people they are all basically the same age teens (even though none of the actors look like teens), Ben is a small mousey guy instead of the large football player war hero he was in the comics, Reed abandons his best friend when things get rough, and Doctor Doom.....where was Doctor Doom in this movie....there was a dude called Victor Von Doom in it, but being a disgruntled grungy 20 year old who is transformed into a disfigured super powered CARRIEish monster who wants to destroy the Earth is NOT the megliomanical ruler of his own country who wants to rule the world that is the comic's great villain. And a note to all HOLLYWOOD movie makers.....the FANTASTIC FOUR go together as a FOURESOME into SPACE in a ROCKET and become superpowered....and Doctor Doom is NO where and in NO way whatsoever involved with their trip and he is NOT transformed into a superpowered being.

So....you want to watch a fair sci fi horror movie....watch it. You want to watch an adaptation of the FANTASTIC FOUR....look for a little movie that Roger Corman produced back in 1994 that got it more right for a budget of $1.99 than this did for $100 million.

Ben is a small mousey guy instead of the large football player war hero he was in the comics

One of my favorite parts about this whole FFINO trainwreck was the one trailer where Miles Teller refers to Jamie Bell as "the muscle" and we get a shot of him hitting a baseball at a neon sign as if we're supposed to think he's the bruiser of the group, when we all have eyes and can clearly tell that Jamie Bell is 5' 7", maybe a buck seventy soaking wet.

The problem with the Trank cut is that he was the wrong person for the job in the first place. I don't care if it is much darker. That's completely the opposite of where FF should be going. The fact that his name is even attached to it, and it's an even purer form of his warped vision, means that it's likely to be an even bigger abomination.

After all, what should we expect? More extreme body horror? Doom still called Domashev and more of a hacker?

I don't think either cut would've been successful at all. Trank boasting that he had a fantastic movie before is him just trying to back pedal now. Trank. Kinberg. They were all wrong for it. And to think Kinberg wants another go at it again. :doh:

One of my favorite parts about this whole FFINO trainwreck was the one trailer where Miles Teller refers to Jamie Bell as "the muscle" and we get a shot of him hitting a baseball at a neon sign as if we're supposed to think he's the bruiser of the group, when we all have eyes and can clearly tell that Jamie Bell is 5' 7", maybe a buck seventy soaking wet.

That's like referring to Sue as the alpha male of the group, or MBJ as the token female.

It's interesting that they didn't put the trailer among the extras....guess they didn't want people comparing what they advertised and what they actually showed.

As Ben.....Bell basically did nothing but stand next to or behind Reed and look like a lost puppy.

Sue didn't even get to go on the trip to the other dimension.

Trank really likes borrowing stuff from Akira.

Sue didn't even get to go on the trip to the other dimension.

Trank really likes borrowing stuff from Akira.

It's like the whole movie is bits and pieces taken from other films . . .

. . . and then edited together by a drunk chimpanzee.

It's like the whole movie is bits and pieces taken from other films . . .

. . . and then edited together by a drunk chimpanzee.

Hmmm.... maybe it's all told from the perspective of the chimp they sent in the test run of the dimensional transport.

And lets not forget that it was a Fantastic Four film where all four characters were not in the same room together until about the last ten minutes of the film.

I remain convinced that Trank's initial inclination was to write Sue out of the story entirely. Or, alternatively, that the script really did start life as Chronicle 2, which had an entirely male main cast with no Sue equivalent at all.

I remain convinced that Trank's initial inclination was to write Sue out of the story entirely. Or, alternatively, that the script really did start life as Chronicle 2, which had an entirely male main cast with no Sue equivalent at all.

Remember the rumors about Trank being borderline abusive to Kate Mara to make her feel "invisible" and unwanted?

I suspect the brain trust of Trank and Kinberg may have planned the whole "Sue stays at home while the boys explore" as an extension of that concept.

They probably think they're friggin' geniuses for included such "deep and meaningful subtexts".

Seriously, the way Kinberg talks I think he actually does create things like that and thinks they're actually good ideas. Like the whole wimpy Ben with the "clobberin' time" abusive brother.

I would have thought things like that just happened by accident because nobody was thinking very hard, but Kinberg actually bragged about how they had 'improved' the character with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"