The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - Part 131 (NO SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any "jump" scare scenes that rival the fake Batman/Mayor window smash?

I don't scare easily, so I'd say no. I felt in that scene something was about to happen to the mayor (I was expecting a gunshot, not a fake Batman).

I'd say there's a greater sense of dread and horror when Bane is on screen then, say, an individual scare scene.

Here's my question:

A question for those who have seen it:

After watching The Dark Knight last night, I was reminded of one of the big questions at the end of that movie... Who were the "five dead, two of them cops" that Harvey killed?

Is this at all addressed in the movie?... Not wanting spoilers, just an indication of whether or not it's touched on.

Thanks!

This is my problem. If I give a yes or a no, is it a spoiler according to the mods?

I'll say this though: Harvey Dent is the biggest plot from TDK that continues on in TDKR.

Standing ovation. A few people sat there in stunned silence, too destroyed by the awesomeness of the experience to give that kind of response.

Myself, I gave a standing ovation and weeped a little :waa:

Awesome!

TLH,
Does the film seem rushed at all? That's one complaint I've seen.

TLH,

How much comic relief was there...and does it work?

I don't scare easily, so I'd say no. I felt in that scene something was about to happen to the mayor (I was expecting a gunshot, not a fake Batman).

I'd say there's a greater sense of dread and horror when Bane is on screen then, say, an individual scare scene.

Ah cool just wondering cause that scene in TDK caused possibly one of the greatest reactions I've seen in a packed cinema so was hoping something similar would happen again.

This is my problem. If I give a yes or a no, is it a spoiler according to the mods?

I'll say this though: Harvey Dent is the biggest plot from TDK that continues on in TDKR.

No problem, the fact that you didn't flat out say no is enough for me.

Thanks again!

Why in the hell do people call everything emo now just because it involves emotions of sadness. That word is overused and to be honest used incorrectly

It has a ton of definitions. I think at least one of them applies here.

TLH, if you -do- want to answer spoiler questions, there's a thread at the top of the forum for it. Not sure if you caught it or not. :)

TLH,
Does the film seem rushed at all? That's one complaint I've seen.

Rushed is such a strong word. I'm starting to think some critics resent that Nolan managed to make a three hour movie breeze by to be honest. There's a lot going on and you have to pay attention.

TLH,

How much comic relief was there...and does it work?

Maybe a touch less than the last two films (only because the movie is longer), but it's same kind of comic relief you find in BB/TDK: the occassional one-liner or quick, witty exchange.

Last question before I depart the forums for good for the day.

Anne Hathaway's butt...IMAX shot?

TLH, if you -do- want to answer spoiler questions, there's a thread at the top of the forum for it. Not sure if you caught it or not. :)

I'm tentative just because I went into this movie not knowing much and I don't think anyone should go in knowing too much.

Really I just want to alleviate the stress/concerns some of these less positive reviews have instilled. I'm here for people who don't want to be spoiled but still have questions :)

Inception is my best comparison without giving away spoilers about TDKR. Like Inception, TDKR is densely plotted and has a huge ensemble to do justice to. If you felt the characters in TDK/Inception were developed sufficiently, you'll have no problems here.

My feeling is people who found parts clunky or rushed did not brush up on Batman Begins.

I do agree certain scenes don't get the chance to breathe, but I could say that for TDK as well. There's so much going on at almost every point of this movie. Rewatches would definitely fix that problem. It's an overwhelming (in a good way) experience.

I see. Do you feel like the massive scale and scope of the film could distract people from the story on a first time watch? Or do you feel like there's actual pacing problems with the movie, like it moves to fast for it's story? Or more likely, could it be a bit of both?

I understand. I'm honestly getting a few flashbacks to Spider-Man 3 with this sudden backlash, not that I believe it'll be anywhere close to that disappointing if at all because Nolan's films are such a different beast. But I'm glad there's people here who did enjoy it that are here to help so that people don't become disillusioned.

I cannot believe the day is finally here. It all started when I saw Batman Begins in the summer of 2005, it blew my mind and my imagination soared.

I'm not ready to say goodbye to this world! :(

What a proud day to be a Batman fan...

I understand. I'm honestly getting a few flashbacks to Spider-Man 3 with this sudden backlash, not that I believe it'll be anywhere close to that disappointing if at all because Nolan's films are such a different beast. But I'm glad there's people here who did enjoy it that are here to help so that people don't become disillusioned.
Have you checked out any reactions other than at SHH? So far on Tumblr, the reactions have been overwhelmingly positive to those who've seen it already. I have seen a few "disappointed" posts, but the majority called it "amazing," and some even said it was better than TDK.

The film is similar to TDK in it's pacing. It is a very long film that is crammed with information. It will definitely require multiple viewings to absorb every detail.

Do I think it's too fast? No, with the exception of one or two sequences.

TLH, do you see this movie having any Oscar cred?

I see. Do you feel like the massive scale and scope of the film could distract people from the story on a first time watch? Or do you feel like there's actual pacing problems with the movie, like it moves to fast for it's story? Or more likely, could it be a bit of both?

Maybe a bit. It's a truly overwhelming experience, but I mean that in the best possible sense. I never felt there were pacing issues, because the story is so engaging, I never felt like pacing was an issue. There's a lot of story and repeat viewings would definitely make taking it all in a bit easier. But it's nothing to worry about, at all. I promise you this.

Dear god, why? I was a bit worried too but after seeing it, mentioning Spider-Man 3 in the same sentence is just, no.

Please do not let a minor percentage of mixed reviews make you feel like this film is disappointing. I guarantee you three things: (1) TDKR pushes the boundaries of what a superhero film can be even further than TDK; (2) TDKR's final 45 minutes, and ending, will blow your mind; and (3) TDKR is a leap over TDK, just not as large a leap as TDK was over BB, and that's what people are confusing for disappointment.

Please do not let a minor percentage of mixed reviews make you feel like this film is disappointing. I guarantee you three things: (1) TDKR pushes the boundaries of what a superhero film can be even further than TDK; (2) TDKR's final 45 minutes, and ending, will blow your mind; and (3) TDKR is a leap over TDK, just not as large a leap as TDK was over BB, and that's what people are confusing for disappointment.

:woot::woot::woot:

This makes me so happy!

Just for nostalgia's sake...

[YT]lu2ecPMX0kI[/YT]

As soon as I heard "war film" then combined that with Christopher Nolan, then saw Hardy was cast then when someone last night said the film was "apocalyptic" I felt I would love this more than TDK or infact BB both of which I loved the same.

TLH, do you see this movie having any Oscar cred?

Good question for me since I'm obsessed with awards season.

Guaranteed at least six technicals: Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Cinematography, Visual Effects, Art Direction, Editing.

Definitely a good shot at a Best Picture nomination. I don't see how it doesn't get the nomination considering how the Academy changed the system to accommodate this type of film, and it's absolutely worthy. This is their chance, I believe they'll deliver.

Directing/Writing, don't see it happening. Not because it doesn't deserve it, but because the Academy is the Academy and they have specific tastes. It will get Directors and Writer's guild nominations, but the Academy won't follow through on the early promise from the precursors in my opinion.

Acting nominations, don't see any either, despite some terrific performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"