The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 149

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's fine because it's still a Batman movie. Or a gangster movie sometimes. It's only the smaller characters that have those roles/performances so it's fine. It doesn't bother me when an extra, a cop, a mobster does something hammy. It goes with the genre. But i dont think Modine was worse than anything ive seen in the first two movies. Ben Mendolhson (John Daggett) kinda delivered that type of performance but he is a FANTASTIC actor if you check his filmography out. And i think it totally fit his rich guy ******* character, in the same way that Modine played Foley well. Or the Chechen, etc.

I do like how Rises didn't deal with too many extras though.

Right, and again, it's not like the main characters are hammy. I actually enjoyed both Maroni and the Chechen's hamminess in TDK, because their scenes bring some lightness to an otherwise bleak movie. I can't say I enjoyed Modine's character in the same way, but then again I don't think that was the point. He was there to be the self-absorbed and self-important cop, who couldn't see the bigger picture.

And to deliver the infamous hothead lines, of course. :oldrazz:

Point being, you're supposed to view him as an a-hole initially. I am disappointed that they didn't use that take were he gets run over by one of the Tumblers for his last scene. His death scene in the movie just comes across as kind of awkward.

The best thing about Foley and Blake was that I get to use these gifs:

PUkYx.gif
mqPgM.gif

I wonder if the DWP guy ever arrived? :p

speaking of the influence of a tale of 2 cities how did it corralate to rises? i read a brief snippet where one gives his life for someone else to be happy? if that is right can anyone explain. obviously its sacrifice. but where in the movie

speaking of the influence of a tale of 2 cities how did it corralate to rises? i read a brief snippet where one gives his life for someone else to be happy? if that is right can anyone explain. obviously its sacrifice. but where in the movie

When Robin John Blake gives up his bones and stuff to let Bruce live happily ever after.

Bizarre how anyone can think that Nolan did not give it his all when making the film.

He analysed the likes of A Tale of Two Cities, Fritz Lang's Metropolis, Blade Runner, Doctor Zhivago, Prince of the City and The Battle of Algiers prior to making the film, and has incorporated elements from these various works in The Dark Knight Rises or been influenced by them in some way. If I'm not mistaken, the whole cast sat down to watch these films.

As well as this, he has combined parts of the following to make the film:

Knightfall, The Dark Knight Returns, No Man's Land, Bane of Demon, Batman:Bane, Catwoman #1, Batman #1, Catwoman: The Dark End of the Street and Batman: The Cult.

He has introduced so many new characters in the film: Bane, Catwoman, Robin and Talia Al Ghul, as well as people like Daggett, Foley & Stryver.

Nolan goes underground in this film, with many scenes happening in the sewers, where Bane is forming an army. He is showing different aspects of Gotham - we also see the Stock Exchange, the football stadium, etc. Nolan is expanding on the world of the previous 2 films, as well as showing the impact of the events of the previous film on Bruce and Gotham.

All of this is happening as well as the main thing, which is completing Bruce's journey, showing the audience that there is a possible future for this character who we care about, the boy who saw his parents being murdered, the man who has only suffered throughout this trilogy. Nolan used a lot of different sources for inspiration and gave the audience a conclusion to the story he wanted to tell.

Even if you didn't like it, even if you think that the various parts didn't come together well - A lot of effort for a superhero movie, don't you think?

Isn't The Dark Knight Rises one of the biggest films since the silent era? Around 11,000 extras in a real environment.

And since we are playing "Assume how much effort the director put into making his film" - I think Nolan put more effort into making The Dark Knight Rises than Snyder has in his entire filmography combined.

We weren't talking about comitment, we're talking about heart. I don't think Nolan was a 100% into the film and my reasons been leaving in several shoddy performances, plot holes, poor edits etc. I think he'd had his fill of Batman but did this cause WBs let him make Inception. That's my assumption to have, its an opinion. There is no right or wrong here.

Also since when does a film been big have anything to do with the director wanting to do a film or quality of the film?

Oh and its getting boring when someone has to big another person up by knocking down others in the same profession :whatever:

It's a pipe dream... but my body will (or wont) be ready if someone like Gareth Evans directs a Batman film.

I also would really like something in those veins , but for that to happen more than the director what's important is the choreographer and the actors....in that particular film they are actually the same , Ruhian and Uways . American productions tend to hire stunt coordinators for that sort of job , and when you mix normal actors , that level of quality will never be reached.

Nolan realism right here

[YT]A03sFj7Ifm4[/YT]

:woot:

Incredible by the way-

Hah! Nice.

To change the topic around to the movies' outside influences...

Im of the opinion that they all flow together extremely well.

A Tale Of Two Cities, Fritz Lang's Metropolis, Bladerunner (which is used in Begins too), Prince Of The City, Doctor Zhivago, The Battle of Algiers, The Dark Knight Returns, Knightfall, The Cult, No Man's Land, Bane Of The Demon, Legacy, Catwoman: The Dark End Of The Street, Year One. And i have to add Rock 3 :woot:

I think that's a pretty diverse list. People will disagree of course, but i think they all meshed together in a really cool way.

Am i missing any?

As far as film influences I think you hit all the big ones, but with a cinephile like Nolan I'm sure there are others that he's simply never mentioned. Maybe Lawrence of Arabia too?

As far as comics influences, again you definitely hit the big ones but there are tons of minor influences from various comics over the decades too- most of which have been compiled in that article from a while back. I've noticed that in the Nolan movies even little phrases from certain comics will be lifted. For instance, in Son of the Demon (first part of the Demon trilogy) there's a part where they're talking about Ra's' origin and describe "A more ancient part of the world". That's just one example, but I think it shows that these guys definitely steeped themselves in the lore. I can only imagine the stacks of comics on Jonah's desk when he was writing these movies.

Anyway, I agree. I think Rises has an amazing pool of influences that came together pretty awesomely.

Hah! Nice.

To change the topic around to the movies' outside influences...

Im of the opinion that they all flow together extremely well.

A Tale Of Two Cities, Fritz Lang's Metropolis, Bladerunner (which is used in Begins too), Prince Of The City, Doctor Zhivago, The Battle of Algiers, The Dark Knight Returns, Knightfall, The Cult, No Man's Land, Bane Of The Demon, Legacy, Catwoman: The Dark End Of The Street, Year One. And i have to add Rock 3 :woot:

I think that's a pretty diverse list. People will disagree of course, but i think they all meshed together in a really cool way.

Am i missing any?

It has a little bit of Batman & Robin Vol. 1 #7

*waits for it* :awesome:

A character in last night's episode of Arrow says "I knew you were alive. I felt it in my bones."

And I just burst out laughing.

^ Lol...Honestly, that show cribs so much from the Nolan trilogy, that I wouldn't be susrprised if it was an intentional nod to TDKR.

True, but you guys do know that it's an expression right? Hahaha.

Haha, and that's not even the line in TDKR anyway, it's actually "To be angry...in your bones." He's talking about carrying a constant anger inside, it's not about him knowing Bruce was Batman in his bones like it's been twisted to mean with everyone's favorite SHH! meme :oldrazz:. Similar to when Ra's describes "that impossible anger strangling the grief until the memory of your loved one is just poison in your veins." I always saw those two scenes as mirrors of each other, with both Bruce's mentor and successor finding a way to relate to Bruce through his anger (with anatomic analogies :yay:).

But yeah, Arrow might as well be- Batman Begins: The Series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"