The Xbox One - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
and with all that said, I highly doubt BR would be in the position it is today if not for the PS3. HDDVD wouldnt have folded and died out as quickly as it did
It was important but the crucial factor was the studio deals. The day (no exaggeration) that surprisingly went with blu-ray HD DVD died. Did you ever get a chance to try them btw? They really were better.

I just loved the menus. I know some Blu Rays incorporate it, but for the most part, Blu Rays still have that traditional DVD menu. It was just so easy and intuitive.

Blu-Ray already feels dated to me so I've been buying movies exclusively digital for years now. Why buy something I can only watch in my living room when I can get it digitally to play on my TV, phone and computer?

It was important but the crucial factor was the studio deals. The day (no exaggeration) that surprisingly went with blu-ray HD DVD died. Did you ever get a chance to try them btw? They really were better.
Nope. Never knew anyone with them and cant recall messing with them in store.

This paragraph from this article pretty much summed up HD-DVD's demise

Once Warner Bros. dropped support for HD DVD on the eve of CES 2008, the war was over. Sony had successfully pushed Blu-ray into millions of homes with its PS3 Trojan horse; this, despite trailing Xbox 360 and Wii in sales during the early days of the console war. Effectively, it was Sony's decision to make HD discs standard for the PS3, as opposed to an optional add-on, that led to a hardware gap HD DVD could never surmount. Add in the overwhelming studio support on the Blu-ray side, and it's clear in retrospect that only stubbornness (and a few contractual obligations) kept things going as long as they did. Toshiba threw in the towel just over a month after Warner Bros.' CES announcement, and the fledgling HD DVD library was rendered obsolete; now mere collector's items for a scant few.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/07/format-wars-blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd/

Nope. Never knew anyone with them and cant recall messing with them in store.

This paragraph from this article pretty much summed up HD-DVD's demise

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/07/format-wars-blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd/
Yeah exactly. I gave everything away the day after that. Already had blu-rays as well for the PS3, probably about 45% blu-rays & 55% HD DVD . So just swapped out the HD DVDs for blu-rays. It's a shame as blu-rays on the content side weren't the upgrade that HD DVDs were. But on the plus side at least the PS3 was a great blu-ray player for the time while the HD DVD add on for 360 wasn't.

Blu-Ray already feels dated to me so I've been buying movies exclusively digital for years now. Why buy something I can only watch in my living room when I can get it digitally to play on my TV, phone and computer?
nearly every bluray sold today comes with some form of digital copy, so this doesnt make much sense. Its not like its cheaper to buy it diigitally either as its about the same price, except you get a bluray disc and digital version if you do the physical route. Anything digital is at the mercy of your internet connection and quality can dip when that isnt optimal, whereas a disc's quality is always consistent. Discs come with special features, which for the most part are absent in the vast majority of digital purchases. There are plenty of reasons why one would buy a bluray. Ive never purchased a digital film, but I redeem my digital codes, I get from my bluray purchases, so even if I were to sell them off, I still have that available.

Where do you buy your digital movies? Some blu-rays give codes for all that too but I look forward to a day when digital content is 4K and of the same quality as the physical. Also pricing and hard drive space and licensing are issues but if all these things are fixed I will buy everything digitally and just double up for my absolute favourites.

nearly every bluray sold today comes with some form of digital copy, so this doesnt make much sense. Its not like its cheaper to buy it diigitally either as its about the same price, except you get a bluray disc and digital version if you do the physical route. Anything digital is at the mercy of your internet connection and quality can dip when that isnt optimal, whereas a disc's quality is always consistent. Discs come with special features, which for the most part are absent in the vast majority of digital purchases. There are plenty of reasons why one would buy a bluray. Ive never purchased a digital film, but I redeem my digital codes, I get from my bluray purchases, so even if I were to sell them off, I still have that available.
And the other thing for me is what happens to your digital content when the company you bought it from decides to discontinue their services in that area? Tech is so competitive that any of the big names could be in trouble down the line.

lol... I mention blu ray vs hd dvd and start a ripple effect. love it

someone on neogaf made a list of a whole bunch games that were pushed back this year... two exclusives included, the Ps4 one being order, and the xbone one being quantum break

IHaving decent exclusives also helped.

But no, it won't overtake the PS4. It will close the gap though.
are you talkin just the U.S?

I download the digital copies I buy so my viewing isn't dependent on internet. Also, digital has special features, though yes, blu-ray for whatever reason does often get exclusive features. The digital copies I've downloaded from blu-rays are often standard definition, not the hi-def versions, which makes them useless. And Apple isn't closing anytime soon, so I'm not worried about any my purchases being discontinued.

New thread, hope it's safe to come back in here

I download the digital copies I buy so my viewing isn't dependent on internet. Also, digital has special features, though yes, blu-ray for whatever reason does often get exclusive features. The digital copies I've downloaded from blu-rays are often standard definition, not the hi-def versions, which makes them useless. And Apple isn't closing anytime soon, so I'm not worried about any my purchases being discontinued.

When was the last time you actually bought a Blu-ray? Digital HD copies have been standard for, I'd say, at least a year. Probably more than that, at least as long has Vudu as been a thing.

New thread, hope it's safe to come back in here

When was the last time you actually bought a Blu-ray? Digital HD copies have been standard for, I'd say, at least a year. Probably more than that, at least as long has Vudu as been a thing.

This. SD digital copy was a thing when they started to offer them, but virtually all new ones sold today are HD. I cant recall when the last time I redeemed a DC via VUDU or iTunes and it was SD. That was primarily when digital copies were stored on a DVD so they were SD for obvious reasons. With everything being streamed now, HD has become standard and UV led the push for that. Heck, over the summer the SD Disney ones on iTunes got upgraded to HD if you linked your account to Disney Movie Rewards

I haven't bought a blu-ray since Marvel's Phase 1, so things have probably changed since then. Still, for me, having a physical copy is useless cuz I can play my movies on any screen in my house with the digital version. The only thing I'm missing out on are some commentary tracks, which I'm fine with.

And since the Tech thread is absolutely dead, I hope it's okay if I post a link to my thread there about which TV I should get. There seem to be some tech-y people in the games areas.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=489547

call me old fashioned, but I still prefer to buy my media on physical discs, be it Blu-Ray, CDs, or games.

out of those, only with music am I likely to buy content digitally ( especially if I only want a few songs from the album ).

I haven't bought a CD since Napster. Yeah. I want there.

I'm half and half with games.

I don't see myself every buying a digital movie.

after the long process of downloading CoD digitally on my X1, I really don't foresee myself going all digital for games anytime soon. that thing just took WAY too long to download.

small indie titles, yes. big titles, no.

Pre-loading has been a huge step for digital converters, that's for sure. I got DA:I, GTAV and FC4 already installed for tomorror.

I haven't bought a CD since Napster. Yeah. I want there.

I'm half and half with games.

I don't see myself every buying a digital movie.

Im more about buying the retail disc on movies, redeeming the digital version and if its a film, Im not to crazy about, sell it off.

With games, all my new purchases are physical but I have no problem going digital with older material

Music? Really absolutely no advantage to going physical. All the music I play is via my iPhone and it stores thousands of songs. Im not walking around with a CD player and hundreds of CDs

Brack Friday Bunduru returns.

That retro NES 3DS though...I likes that.

Im more about buying the retail disc on movies, redeeming the digital version and if its a film, Im not to crazy about, sell it off.

With games, all my new purchases are physical but I have no problem going digital with older material

Music? Really absolutely no advantage to going physical. All the music I play is via my iPhone and it stores thousands of songs. Im not walking around with a CD player and hundreds of CDs

I think with music, it's easier to go digital because the files are much smaller, especially when compared to movies and games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"