The Xbox One - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then be a real gamer and own multiple consoles.
I own a PlayStation 4 and a Wii U. At least the Wii U is different enough with Nintendo exclusives for me to justify the purchase to myself. But the Xbox One is just too similar to the PlayStation 4 for me to justify getting one on top of subscribing to both PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live. Plus I suck at the Xbox controller.

Besides Banjo, what does Rare even have thats worth putting out? I swear ppl look at Rare with rose colored glasses.
Perfect Dark, Battletoads, Killer Instinct (which Microsoft has revived), Wizards & Warriors, Conker, etc.

I own a PlayStation 4 and a Wii U. At least the Wii U is different enough with Nintendo exclusives for me to justify the purchase to myself. But the Xbox One is just too similar to the PlayStation 4 for me to justify getting one on top of subscribing to both PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live. Plus I suck at the Xbox controller.
Good point on the multiple subscription costs this gen. That's one thing putting me off even if my neighbour didn't have a PS4.

^^ you're a real gamer in my book. this is simply why I think having an xbox and a playstation is too much.

anyways, is it as easy to swap 360 hds as it is for Ps3?

if it takes money to secure the 3rd party exclusives then so be it. it's a good investment.
Not anymore since the vast majority of 3rd party exclusives are going to be timed exclusives. It's not worth plunking down the money just to get a game first.

tomb raider will shift consoles no matter how people will try to deny it.
This isn't 1996 anymore. The Tomb Raider brand is nowhere near as strong as it was almost 20 years ago. It has since been sullied by ****** games, ****** movies, changes in consumer tastes in video games, etc. While the latest entry has certainly put an end to the bleeding and put the franchise back on track, but let's not pretend that Tomb Raider shifts consoles the way it did during the days of the original PlayStation. Tomb Raider is no Halo or Uncharted.

question is how long will it be exclusive. but microsoft should've paid to keep it exclusive forever.
I doubt Square-Enix would have allowed permanent exclusivity. Permanent exclusivity would have damaged the brand far too much by excluding it from a user base that is larger than the Xbox's and could probably result in Uncharted nullifying it the way inFamous nullified Prototype and MLB: The Show nullified MLB2K if Square-Enix decided to make it go multiplatform again.

i heard se actually are kinda struggling tho. in fact i find it shocking that uncharted 2 and 3 sold better than tomb raider
I don't find it shocking one bit. As I said just above, this isn't 1996 anymore. Uncharted has become the AAA Indiana Jones-esque platformer over Tomb Raider.

You have to take into account that the early 2000's did significant damage to the brand with really bad video games and those awful Angelina Jolie movies. When Crystal Dynamics came on board, their original Legend Trilogy really brought nothing to the table. While they were leagues above the final games that Core Design developed, they were still nothing special. Meanwhile Naughty Dog came onto the scene with the Uncharted series, all of which are top notch games which allowed Uncharted to take the crown from Tomb Raider.

The new reboot series has done wonders for the Tomb Raider brand, but it still has a lot of damage to fix. Personally, I consider the new Tomb Raider to be the first Tomb Raider game to actually be good.

^^ you're a real gamer in my book. this is simply why I think having an xbox and a playstation is too much.

anyways, is it as easy to swap 360 hds as it is for Ps3?
I don't know because I never bought an Xbox 360.

yeah..........that's why, even though I'm getting more interested in getting an X1, I'm still hesitant.

There really aren't any major exclusives on the X1 that I absolutely have to have. And most multiplat games seem to run/perform slightly better on the PS4. And, no matter what, hardware wise, the PS4 will be slightly more powerful.

And once the PS4 gets Media Playback and a better/more organized UI, there's really nothing that the X1 can do that I can't do on my PS4.

the only exception might be that the X1 has a better browser with IE, cuz right now the PS4's browser is not that great. But, on my list of priorities, the browser is at the bottom. It would be nice to have a better browser on the PS4, but I'm not going to get an X1 just for IE, all things being equal.

now, this could all change if say, X1 gets Media Playback support in Sept. or Oct., but the PS4 doesn't add it until sometimes next year. I wouldn't be happy with that situation, and if Sony continues to drag their feet like that, that might push me towards the X1.

yeah..........that's why, even though I'm getting more interested in getting an X1, I'm still hesitant.

There really aren't any major exclusives on the X1 that I absolutely have to have. And most multiplat games seem to run/perform slightly better on the PS4. And, no matter what, hardware wise, the PS4 will be slightly more powerful.

And once the PS4 gets Media Playback and a better/more organized UI, there's really nothing that the X1 can do that I can't do on my PS4.

the only exception might be that the X1 has a better browser with IE, cuz right now the PS4's browser is not that great. But, on my list of priorities, the browser is at the bottom. It would be nice to have a better browser on the PS4, but I'm not going to get an X1 just for IE, all things being equal.

now, this could all change if say, X1 gets Media Playback support in Sept. or Oct., but the PS4 doesn't add it until sometimes next year. I wouldn't be happy with that situation, and if Sony continues to drag their feet like that, that might push me towards the X1.

im waiting on getting one too.. well i still have so many games on xbox and ps3 i havent beaten yet so i dont need a new system yet. im an xbox guy i have a crap load of Achievement points on xbox and i have ps3 for exclusives. still wanna know what i should get down the road

I don't know because I never bought an Xbox 360.
well my question was geared towards everybody in the thread. i asked it 3 times and still no answer, although i know someone must have it.
Not anymore since the vast majority of 3rd party exclusives are going to be timed exclusives. It's not worth plunking down the money just to get a game first.
well then microsoft should be paying whatever fee they have to to keep the game exclusive completely

This isn't 1996 anymore. The Tomb Raider brand is nowhere near as strong as it was almost 20 years ago. It has since been sullied by ****** games, ****** movies, changes in consumer tastes in video games, etc. While the latest entry has certainly put an end to the bleeding and put the franchise back on track, but let's not pretend that Tomb Raider shifts consoles the way it did during the days of the original PlayStation. Tomb Raider is no Halo or Uncharted.
uncharted is not a halo either, not yet anyways. but i thought the whole point of a game being multiplatform IS to sell as many copies as possible.

I don't find it shocking one bit. As I said just above, this isn't 1996 anymore. Uncharted has become the AAA Indiana Jones-esque platformer over Tomb Raider.

You have to take into account that the early 2000's did significant damage to the brand with really bad video games and those awful Angelina Jolie movies. When Crystal Dynamics came on board, their original Legend Trilogy really brought nothing to the table. While they were leagues above the final games that Core Design developed, they were still nothing special. Meanwhile Naughty Dog came onto the scene with the Uncharted series, all of which are top notch games which allowed Uncharted to take the crown from Tomb Raider.

The new reboot series has done wonders for the Tomb Raider brand, but it still has a lot of damage to fix. Personally, I consider the new Tomb Raider to be the first Tomb Raider game to actually be good.
yeah but that's why it was multiplatform... to sell more copies and no one cared about uncharted until Uc2. I'm pretty sure Uc3 sold better but I don't know if it's beaten Uc2 sales to date.

And I don't think the tomb raider movies had any effect on the opinions of the video game. if that were the case, uncharted will be ruined when the mark wahlberg film comes out.

and the thing about the crown... uncharted and tomb raider are going head to head next year, it's possible Uc4 will sell better just because more people have Ps4, but which game will be seen as the milestone title?

We'll just have to wait and see. You are knowledgable but I don't think the age old status of the tomb raider series hurts it.

I know you can swap a 360 hdd ( with the MS brand hdd ), but I've never done it, so I don't know how easy it is.

I imagine it shouldn't be too difficult.

and about Tomb Raider, I just don't think it's as relevant or big as it once was.

the rebooted series can go along way towards restoring the franchise, though.

But, one game in, I don't think it's a system seller like Halo or Uncharted.

I only have the older model 360, and all you do is pop off the old one on top, and put the new one on. I also had to transfer my files over, which was easy, but I'm not sure if they include the transfer cable anymore? If they do, it's a pretty easy thing to do.

I only have the older model 360, and all you do is pop off the old one on top, and put the new one on. I also had to transfer my files over, which was easy, but I'm not sure if they include the transfer cable anymore? If they do, it's a pretty easy thing to do.

i think thats the only way to transfer with the cable

The new Tomb Raider was a very well received game with most gamers anticipating the sequel but has nowhere near the influence the franchise carried in its early days.

The new Tomb Raider was a very well received game with most gamers anticipating the sequel but has nowhere near the influence the franchise carried in its early days.

i just don't like how microsoft wants tomb raider to now be their answer to uncharted. it's always been multiplatform. why make it identified with xbox now?

it's not like sony's got an answer to halo. if it is either resistance or killzone, they're both failures in that regard.

i just don't like how microsoft wants tomb raider to now be their answer to uncharted. it's always been multiplatform. why make it identified with xbox now?
I don't like that either. Would prefer them to invest in making their own adventure game of Uncharted quality.

it's not like sony's got an answer to halo. if it is either resistance or killzone, they're both failures in that regard.
I enjoy them both but of course they don't have the console-moving ability of a Halo.

that's why it's kind of a head-scratcher move. especially since it will only be timed-exclusivity, not full exclusivity.

if MS really wanted TR to be associated with Xbox and become their Uncharted, then they should have worked with SE to make the 1st game in the TR reboot and Xbox exclusive and make sure the rest of the franchise stayed exclusive.

For me (and gamers who play like me) at least, timed exclusives are worthless. I plan to play every significant game at some stage and I don't much care for the order I play them. At the moment there's only Mass Effect and Gears of War (core) games that I intend to always get on day 1. Everything else will get played as and when and I only buy earlier when there is a co-op or multiplayer friends reason to do so. Too much of a backlog otherwise!

I wish Microsoft would save all the money they waste on timed exclusives and exclusive content and hand it all directly to someone like Black Tusk to come up with a top new franchise.

well my question was geared towards everybody in the thread. i asked it 3 times and still no answer

If someone doesn't answer, it means either no one knows or no one who happens to be online knows. There's really no need to post a question more than once unless it goes unanswered for a long period of time. Someone will answer you if they have the answer eventually.

I don't like that either. Would prefer them to invest in making their own adventure game of Uncharted quality.

I enjoy them both but of course they don't have the console-moving ability of a Halo.
yeah I agree. THAT would've been the best thing for MS to do. and tomb raider is single player anyway, isn't it? xbox games aren't really popular with single player campaigns. it's all about the multiplayer. i'm not saying that's bad, that's just... the way it is, you know?
that's why it's kind of a head-scratcher move. especially since it will only be timed-exclusivity, not full exclusivity.

if MS really wanted TR to be associated with Xbox and become their Uncharted, then they should have worked with SE to make the 1st game in the TR reboot and Xbox exclusive and make sure the rest of the franchise stayed exclusive.

well honestly, i don't think tomb raider will ever come out on Ps4. PC maybe, but I really think microsoft greased up se enough to pass on a port for Ps4. that being said, if I'm wrong, then by the time a Ps4 port does come out, the interest for the game will have dropped, and the game won't sell that well. we saw that with Me2 on the Ps3. as a masterpiece of a game that it was and even with bioware/ea saying that the game sold as well or beyond their expectations, it only sold 50 something k that month or week, or something like that.

and i also think tomb raider exclusivity will hurt uncharted as well, but that's another story, for another thread.

If someone doesn't answer, it means either no one knows or no one who happens to be online knows. There's really no need to post a question more than once unless it goes unanswered for a long period of time. Someone will answer you if they have the answer eventually.

honestly dude, i thought i was being straight up ignored and that's why i posed the question so many times. in fact, it's not the first time i had to repeat myself to get an answer. there's even some question i posted (not in the video game section but beyond) where I never got the answer I was looking for.

yeah I agree. THAT would've been the best thing for MS to do. and tomb raider is single player anyway, isn't it? xbox games aren't really popular with single player campaigns. it's all about the multiplayer. i'm not saying that's bad, that's just... the way it is, you know?

TR had multiplayer, so I'm sure Rise will, too.

well honestly, i don't think tomb raider will ever come out on Ps4. PC maybe, but I really think microsoft greased up se enough to pass on a port for Ps4. that being said, if I'm wrong, then by the time a Ps4 port does come out, the interest for the game will have dropped, and the game won't sell that well. we saw that with Me2 on the Ps3. as a masterpiece of a game that it was and even with bioware/ea saying that the game sold as well or beyond their expectations, it only sold 50 something k that month or week, or something like that.

and i also think tomb raider exclusivity will hurt uncharted as well, but that's another story, for another thread.
What exactly brings you to this assumption.

Well, to play Devil's advocate here, there was not knowledge that the first game in the reboot would end up being as successful and as talked about as it was. TR before that was more or less a dead franchise, for all intents and purposes. So, it would actually make sense why they'd do that now that so much goodwill has been restored to the series as opposed to before.

But, despite what some think, I think it's pretty much a given that Rise will come to the PS4 and possibly PS3. I think people are overthinking the situation with MS wanting TR to be associated with the Xbox brand. Rise was a high profile game, and they wanted a high profile exclusive from a third party if even for a limited time. That's really all there is to it.

It has multiplayer modes but I can't imagine too many people playing them for too long. They're ok but nothing much above the average of what's out there.

Xbox is not as popular with single player because Microsoft haven't focused on that much which to me is a mistake even though they have succeeded massively in taking console multiplayer gaming & co-op mainstream with the 360. If they had made a good number of new franchises like Uncharted last gen they would be strong on both fronts. I thought the 1st Gears had a good campaign though, playing it 1st time is the moment I thought a new gen has finally arrived!

If SE wants Rise to sell better than the 1st TR, then they would be complete fools and risk alienating their base further if they decide not to release Rise on the PS4.

especially if the PS4 continues to be the leading console.

TR had multiplayer, so I'm sure Rise will, too.
It was awful though and almost universally panned. It wasn't exactly a money maker either. I can see them dropping it and using those resources to focus on post-release DLC content

honestly dude, i thought i was being straight up ignored and that's why i posed the question so many times. in fact, it's not the first time i had to repeat myself to get an answer. there's even some question i posted (not in the video game section but beyond) where I never got the answer I was looking for.

You repeated yourself literally 6 minutes after you posted the question. That was completely unnecessary. If you feel like you are being ignored, constantly posting the same thing is a good way to get that to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"