Thor: Ragnarok Box Office Prediction - Part 1

Hard to believe that the Thor stand alone Franchise has grossed over 1.8 Billion and counting thus far...
:woot: Think some people need to rethink the whole B grade hero bit...

Last edited:
saw on reddit :woot::woot::woot:

TC9dxEN.jpg

Seven Asgardian dollars is equivalent to about 2 billion dollars in US currency. :woot:

Hard to believe that the Thor stand alone Franchise has grossed over 1.8 Billion and counting thus far...
:woot: Think some people need to rethink the whole B grade hero bit...

I think the whole idea of 'A-list', 'B-list', e.t.c heroes needs to be put to bed in this day and age tbh. For young kids that have grown up with the MCU, Thor, Iron Man, Cap and Hulk are every bit as well known and iconic as Batman, Superman and Spider-Man.

Domestic: $277,468,394 35.1%
+ Foreign: $513,869,831 64.9%
= Worldwide: $791,338,225

:yay: Looks like the final numbers inched up a bit....

$800m just around the corner!

Fun fact via deadline:

As a region, Europe’s box office is now $152M, surpassing the lifetime totals of benchmark titles such as Doctor Strange, Captain America: The Winter Solider, Spider-Man Homecoming and Thor: The Dark World. Across Central and Eastern Europe, Thor: Ragnarok is now the highest grossing superhero movie of all time.

You go, Europe!

The OS number is quite a nice improvement from estimates.

From these numbers I'd expect it to end at roughly $535-540M OS. Following Doctor Strange would get it to $310.6M DOM. Hitting $850M WW would be very nice.

Fun fact via deadline:

As a region, Europe’s box office is now $152M, surpassing the lifetime totals of benchmark titles such as Doctor Strange, Captain America: The Winter Solider, Spider-Man Homecoming and Thor: The Dark World. Across Central and Eastern Europe, Thor: Ragnarok is now the highest grossing superhero movie of all time.

You go, Europe!

Wow! So it beat all the teamup films.

BO update...November 24, 2017 - friday

TIH $134,806,913 / $263,427,551
Thor $181,030,624 / $449,326,618
T:dw $206,362,140 / $644,571,402
T:R $267,318,394 / $759,254,643

BO update...November 26, 2017 - sunday

TIH $134,806,913 / $263,427,551
Thor $181,030,624 / $449,326,618
T:dw $206,362,140 / $644,571,402
T:R $277,650,571 / $791,520,402

Actuals numbers for Weekend are a little better than they thought...

Fun fact via deadline:

You go, Europe!
Thor seems to be one of the most popular Marvel heroes in Europe, likely due to the Scandanavian connection.

Thor seems to be one of the most popular Marvel heroes in Europe, likely due to the Scandanavian connection.

You mean more popular than Captain America??? :cwink:

I started reading mythology when I was in the 2nd grade. I learned to read very early because my grandmother read me stories and I watched the words as she read them. My teacher turned me loose and gave me the run of the school's (limited) library as long as everything else didn't fall off the table. Norse mythology, along with baseball and history stories, were my favorites. So when I saw a Thor comic book, I was hooked.

I would like to see a slightly different Thor than the one in Ragnarok, but found it enjoyable. The Thor from Norse mythology, I found to be rather arrogant and self important, but true to his warrior spirit. The comic book Thor was the one I liked the most. He was strong, honorable, gentle, and caring. You just didn't want to piss him off. Of the movie Thors, I found the original one the most true to my favorite. Headstrong, but willing to change; and above all honorable.

I'm pleased TR has done well at the box office, but would like to see a different Thor if I had my druthers. I think Taika is a fine and talented director, but he's not my ideal director of a Thor movie.

Oh well....not the biggest piece of fat on my plate.

Across Central and Eastern Europe, Thor: Ragnarok is now the highest grossing superhero movie of all time.
Fantasy is pretty popular here (not gonna talk for other countries of Eastern Europe) so imo Thor has a healthy bump for that being not only CBM but also of fantasy genre

haha & its definitely a little more popular that Cap here :woot:
I thought CW would gross more being an ensemble movie & all but the gross is nowhere near Avengers or IM movies
Its not even in top 10 for the year
TR is 7th in yearly chart now.

Last edited:

I started reading mythology when I was in the 2nd grade. I learned to read very early because my grandmother read me stories and I watched the words as she read them. My teacher turned me loose and gave me the run of the school's (limited) library as long as everything else didn't fall off the table. Norse mythology, along with baseball and history stories, were my favorites. So when I saw a Thor comic book, I was hooked.

I would like to see a slightly different Thor than the one in Ragnarok, but found it enjoyable. The Thor from Norse mythology, I found to be rather arrogant and self important, but true to his warrior spirit. The comic book Thor was the one I liked the most. He was strong, honorable, gentle, and caring. You just didn't want to piss him off. Of the movie Thors, I found the original one the most true to my favorite. Headstrong, but willing to change; and above all honorable.

I'm pleased TR has done well at the box office, but would like to see a different Thor if I had my druthers. I think Taika is a fine and talented director, but he's not my ideal director of a Thor movie.

Oh well....not the biggest piece of fat on my plate.

He still has all those traits in T:R though. :huh:

Reached $278m today. 280 by Thursday and what for the weekend -- $7-8m?

It's going to be a slow climb to the summit of Mt. 300.

But it will get there and I have faith BP will to.

He still has all those traits in T:R though. :huh:

Yeah....and I thought about that as I was writing, but....like I said, my favorite Thor was from the comics and the speech just didn't click. Movie Thor has never deviated TOO much from comic Thor in terms of his general demeanor, but I most liked the Thor from the first movie. It's a language thing I guess...."he's a friend from work" just didn't quite do it for me. It would be like if Aragorn told Boromir "Dude, you've just GOT to get over this ring thing and stop looking at Frodo like he's some hottie from Dol Amroth. Chill....okay?"

Don't get me wrong; I liked the movie, but think Thor should have more of a regal air about him. Perhaps that'll happen.

Yeah....and I thought about that as I was writing, but....like I said, my favorite Thor was from the comics and the speech just didn't click. Movie Thor has never deviated TOO much from comic Thor in terms of his general demeanor, but I most liked the Thor from the first movie. It's a language thing I guess...."he's a friend from work" just didn't quite do it for me. It would be like if Aragorn told Boromir "Dude, you've just GOT to get over this ring thing and stop looking at Frodo like he's some hottie from Dol Amroth. Chill....okay?"

Don't get me wrong; I liked the movie, but think Thor should have more of a regal air about him. Perhaps that'll happen.

I agree.

It's a lot less about what traits "comic Thor" has that "movie Thor" does not...

and more about what traits that "movie" Thor has that "comic Thor" never did.

Comic Thor never was so average in speech and so flippant and so -- I hate to say it -- silly.

They've added traits to him in the latest movie that he never had in the comics and it doesn't work for me. The action, the settings, the characters, the story all work-- sadly Thor does not for me. I love the movie but he's a different Thor. You hire Taika and that's what you're going to get.

It will probably change in the future -- either in Avengers or in some reboot with another actor.

I agree.

It's a lot less about what traits "comic Thor" has that "movie Thor" does not...

and more about what traits that "movie" Thor has that "comic Thor" never did.

Comic Thor never was so average in speech and so flippant and so -- I hate to say it -- silly.

They've added traits to him in the latest movie that he never had in the comics and it doesn't work for me. The action, the settings, the characters, the story all work-- sadly Thor does not for me. I love the movie but he's a different Thor. You hire Taika and that's what you're going to get.

It will probably change in the future -- either in Avengers or in some reboot with another actor.

Can't really argue with this. I'm a little more forgiving of the changes because the movie is so good and the character work is better and Taika has infused the entire franchise with excitement as a result. But it's not my perfect ideal and I too want to see a more regal, classic Thor. Keep the improved characterization we've just seen but don't forget what made Thor unique. He's not just another snarky, quipping superhero.

Sadly it seems most people are hot on this Thor and not the original more accurate version. I saw one idiot reviewer talking about how they finally cut his hair and how before he was just shy of a mullet. These people don't really want Thor. They want Thor to conform to their own ideas of what he should be. However, there are fans of the comic that have followed him for decades who know how he's supposed to look and act and I don't think these fans should just be kicked to the curb for mass appeal. That hasn't been what made Marvel successful.

Regarding majestic Thor vs relateable Thor, it really is the age old question of making movies for the fans, or making them for a general audience. I prefer majestic Thor myself, but I understand that large blockbusters have to be successful too. I think they could have made the same type of money without going so over-the-top on the silliness for his character, but I can't argue with the fact that Thor as he is shown in the comics (for the most part) is more of a niche character.

If you're like me, and grew up bigger and stronger than everyone else around you at a very young age, but had strong empathy and didn't want to hurt other people, then Thor is immediately relateable and a great role model. Probably not so much for others though.

$1,156,251
Tuesday box office

Domestic Box Office $279,679,022
International Box Office $511,643,398
Worldwide Box Office $791,322,420

$1,156,251
Tuesday box office

Domestic Box Office $279,679,022
International Box Office $511,643,398
Worldwide Box Office $791,322,420

Boo, only 33% gain from Monday, that's the worst gain out of the top 9 films yesterday. Also, slipping back to the #5 spot for the first time. Just one day, but, I don't like it.

Looks like we'll have to be happy with $300m and not $320.

I'm sure Disney is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"