Thor's box office competition - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
thor is looking around $29-30mil this weekend.

i'll bet a cookie that priest doesnt pass $15mil (and yes, i know its in 3d as well)

I'm going to end up watching Priest, I think. I've got a friend who's been talking about it since the first trailer. But I plan to watch Thor again to balance it out. :)

Who cares? It's a good movie and I enjoyed it. That's all I care about now.
Yeah that's what Im saying.

Are you talking opening weekend, overall, and both with dvd sales/tv rights? Because it still won't make that much with everything.

Okay, I lied about that last sentence but Priest is gonna finish behind Bridesmaids and Thor. I don't see Priest winning the weekend at all.

This weekend. 50 mill for Priest at the lowest. Or my name isnt Rufus

Last edited:
Well, I just hope Thor holds up well this weekend because I really want to see a sequel, I hope for anything above $35 million which will be a great hold.

Anything over 30 is good in my book

Absolutlely, 30 mil will be an excellent hold for a film like this. If it actually got 35, wow it could end up close to 250.

As it is now, probably in the 190 range, and that's certainly good enough for a sequel, and as I mentioned before the sequel is not really in question.

why is 190 good enough for a sequel?

i think Thor has a good chance for a sequel because..............because marvel movies have very low budgets. Marvel is very cheap on the movies. and since noone but IM 2008 is breaking records its smart from them.

Thor had a budget of 150 million. All the Marvel movies thus far have had budgets well over 100 million. How are they being cheap?

400-450 WW is definitely good enough for a sequel.

I wouldn't call them cheap as it connotes a poor product, more like frugal when it comes to making movies.

why is 190 good enough for a sequel?

i think Thor has a good chance for a sequel because..............because marvel movies have very low budgets. Marvel is very cheap on the movies. and since noone but IM 2008 is breaking records its smart from them.
I wouldn't call them cheap as it connotes a poor product, more like frugal when it comes to making movies.

what are you talking about? How are the made for cheap? Thor had a budget of 150 mill, IM had a budget of 140 mill, and IM2 had a budget of 200 mill all according to Box OFfice Mojo. And that's not including ad campaigns. I dont see how that's cheap or being frugal.

The movies all look pretty good to me, so cheap or not, Marvel's doing something right.

I do think $150 million tends to be a minimum for a blockbuster these days, 8-10 years ago it was $100 million and its slowly risen, but $150 is enough, and but for a few moments Thor looked like it used its budget very well.

The movies all look pretty good to me, so cheap or not, Marvel's doing something right.

Exactly, and Blackman by frugal I mean they don't go crazy spending but try to save any way they can yet the movies still look great. Frugal is a good thing.

yes they saved a lot of money by making a new mexico city where only 10 people live. SHH fans in 2011 still beliving that comicbook movies all have a budget 140-150 is ridiculous and funny at the same time.

Asgard looked amazing. but it was obvious that thats where all the money went. the Frost giant battle had very bad CGI in some parts. of course they hide it with fast editing and artifical blur.

Thor made 4M domestically on Thursday and its worldwide total is now $283M

Should be over 30 domestically, around 25 overseas

Wow! 4M on Thursday, so it made 19M for M-T which is above what I expected. I think 32 is a possibility, but Thor is showing legs. Wheather it's the 3D boosting ticket sales I don't know but it's showing alot of stability in it's first week which is usually where movies falter the most.

BOM is predicting $29 million this weekend, which would be a 56% percent drop from last weekend. That would still be pretty solid, imo. If it's anywhere between BOM's $29m and BoxOffice.com's $33m predictions, I think the movie will be in very good shape.

Last edited:
BOM is predicting $29 million this weekend, which would be a 56% percent drop from last weekend. That would still be pretty solid, imo.

That's the safe bet. Based on it's performance durring the week, I hope it will do more. It's easy to predict an over 50% drop because that's how most CB movies perform. Something tells me that Thor was not a front loaded film and will be most likely to achieve success from positive WOM.

It will have made more than X-Men and both Fantastic Four movies Worldwide after this weekend. Next stop: Wolverine, X2, Batman Begins and Superman Returns, which all made ~400M.

Mary and Jospeh how long has it been out? 3 weeks? And it's doing this well? Cool.

Mary and Jospeh how long has it been out? 3 weeks? And it's doing this well? Cool.
Well the 3D ticket prices + inflation are obviously helping it, but in terms of profit for the studio a dollar is a dollar.

Here is something I've been following for the last few days,
http://boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=avengersassemble.htm

What you need to look at is the comparison of the Incredible Hulk and Thor numbers.
I think Thor needs to beat at least $170 mil domestically to get a sequel, and an Incredible Hulk haul of $134 would be more than insufficient.
Take a close look at the day by day numbers provided at the link above,
does it seems that Thor may be losing steam faster than the Incredible Hulk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"