TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
3.5/5 here

http://www.theobserversblog.com/2013/06/06/man-of-steel-movie-review/

Claims the Clark Kent pre-suit development stuff felt rushed, including impact of the supporting cast, but everything else is great.

Hope it's not the case for me and more reviewers :p because we've only seen a little of young Clark, let alone Cavill Clark in his wandering phase.

Eh, I'm not worried. Even if character development in the theatrical version is rushed we know there's tons of deleted footage that will doubtless end up on DVD.

The reviewer himself wrote "Rating: 3.5/5.0". So that's clearly what the reviewer intended to give it.

Who expected Lara to have a big role? It seems very odd to be disappointed about that. I understood everything else though. :D

So based on those tweets, MoS is AMAZING and EPIC. At least those seem to be the key words :)

someone should compile reactions/tweets from celebrities who saw the movie. :D

That certainly is not it. I found Dredd to be mediocre, and ASM to be terrible, but beyond that, you're forgetting 300, 30 Days of Night 1 & 2, Blade Trinity, The Spirit, both Punisher films, Daredevil, Surrogates, and Priest. Tiptoeing outside of the genre, we have exemplary films like Immortals, Clash of the Titans, Underworld, and The Wolfman. Surely I've missed several, but you get the idea. Let's try to be a bit more impartial, shall we? In any case, my point is that tone is not and should not be the most pivotal barometer for judging a film, but time and time again I see folks dismissing certain movies for no other reason than the lack of a dark tone. That's nonsense. In the case of many of the films I mentioned, it's quite clear that the producers sacrificed substance for style in their approach. A movie should never get a free pass for being excessively serious, filled with bleak overtones, and angst; those aspects, like anything else, need to be done well first.

I disagree. For one thing, all of those films are definitely not masterpieces; at least half of them being the furthest thing from such a designation. Anyway, I believe it is becoming a fad because many fans seem to default to "dark & gritty" as the primary criteria for a film before anything else. Check interviews from filmmakers and industry people, and they often times echo the same sentiment - "we want to approach film XYZ as a more serious, dark and grounded affair." In my opinion, this is approaching things in reverse. Tone should match an already established story, setting, and characters, not the other way around.

Again, I don't believe this to be unequivocally true, or even remotely so. Your last sentence is the main issue I have with this approach. Your logic implies that since a dark film takes its subject matter more seriously(which isn't necessarily accurate, but I'll concede the point), this results in a better film. That simply is not true. Seriousness for the sake of it is not quality, it is simply an approach. Said seriousness needs to be done well, and be anchored by an otherwise solid film. I'm reminded of other filmmaking approaches that audiences and critics both tend to give free passes to. True story, 'feel-good', and uplifting films are among the worst offenders(We Are Marshall, I Dreamed of Africa, Seven Pounds). Realism is another. I always roll my eyes when I see realism listed a selling point for a movie, because realism, in and of itself, does not and cannot automatically impact quality. My point is that tertiary approaches and characteristics should not be held in higher regard than the actual content and substance of a movie.

In any case, don't assume that I'm pulling for light over dark, or funny over serious, because that's not the point I'm trying to make. I simply would prefer that films and fiction in general be approached with storytelling and characters in mind before style, mood, tone, realism, or whatever the flavor of the day happens to be.

I so agree with this... well said...

Dark =/ Good

Seriousness CAN be OVER done... and thus, becomes 'unreal'...

someone should compile reactions/tweets from celebrities who saw the movie. :D

I don't know, depends on the celebrity. I'd be suspicious their review would pander to some actor or the director, or be bias because they have a personal axe to grind with the same.

The average person's review probably matters most right now.

anyone in here know how the flying is?

what i mean is, in the Donner movies, there was a grace in how Reeve flew, the way he turned his body and his arms... now i know there is going to be some shaky-cam in this movie, but my question is, is it ALL shaky-cam, or is there going to be some smooth flying in this movie?

i really hope it's both

All the flying is smooth. I loved those parts. None of it is shaky unless it's facing Superman's face.

I think when Snyder says the flying is violent he is referring to the cape flapping in the wind.

I haven't seen too much footage though.

Eh, I'm not worried. Even if character development in the theatrical version is rushed we know there's tons of deleted footage that will doubtless end up on DVD.

That's no excuse, though.

That's no excuse, though.

I agree with that review that was posted a little ways up. Knowing that it has been cut down, I am very looking forward to that cut in a DVD release. I've actually seen a couple of scenes in trailers/pictures that didn't make it into the movie.

I agree with that review that was posted a little ways up. Knowing that it has been cut down, I am very looking forward to that cut in a DVD release. I've actually seen a couple of scenes in trailers/pictures that didn't make it into the movie.

I am not so sure about that. Zack and Deborah Snyder have both said that the theatrical cut is the director's cut so I doubt we will be getting an extended version of MOS on DVD. :csad:

A fan will make a full(er) cut if the deleted scenes are released. Probably with feedback from other fans.

Like Adywan's Star Wars: Revisited. Or the hybrid cut of Lester and Donner for Superman II.

I am not so sure about that. Zack and Deborah Snyder have both said that the theatrical cut is the director's cut so I doubt we will be getting an extended version of MOS on DVD. :csad:

I think the possibility is there.

Aside from 300 and Legend of The Guardians, we've gotten different cuts from Snyder's movies. Watchmen even had three cuts! I don't think an extended version of Man Of Steel is completely out of the question.

To reiterate, I hope Clark's pre-Superman phase is portrayed well because it's the other real draw of the film besides exploiting SFX for his powers in action.

The trailers have shown Clark being anything but the traditional reporter (except the Comic-Con one) and this got people talking, why is he a fisherman or a hobo? Then the third trailer showed he was a "guardian angel" incognito. Obviously Goyer took that from Birthright and The Man of Steel, self-exploration while doing super feats. I do hope it delivers for me and most.

Can't have Clark spending 12 years training through Kryptonian mind meld again. Seriously, Puzo? :BA Anything is better than that, even drawing out the time he puts on his real costume in Smallville.

Can you give examples?

I'll give one. Not a spoiler but:

There is a picture in the open discussion of Ma and Pa Kent holding a baby Clark (I assume). That's not in the movie at all.

Snyder said they had a 3 hour cut, so I'm sure they didn't just toss it out.

i really hope they release all that footage...

I think the possibility is there.

Aside from 300 and Legend of The Guardians, we've gotten different cuts from Snyder's movies. Watchmen even had three cuts! I don't think an extended version of Man Of Steel is completely out of the question.

I hope you are right, but here is an excerpt from Deborah Snyder's recent interview with Collider:

Interviewer: I’m sure in four to five months it’s on store shelves, especially with Christmas. Do you envision putting a lot of the deleted scenes on the Blu-ray? Do you envision an extended cut, or is the theatrical the one?

SNYDER: The theatrical cut is the cut that Zack wants out there and I think our feeling was the scene that was deleted didn’t really work so that’s why it’s not in the movie, although what I will say is we’re planning some really nice – Zack does love, and because it’s about world building and visual effects we have so much amazing art work, and I think we’re going to see not only Zack participate in the director walk-ins, but maybe some other special guests joining him this time to elaborate on the filmmaking process. It’s still being worked out who’s going to participate and everything, I’m not just being cheeky about it, but I think that to us is really interesting. I don’t know, it interests us and I think a lot of people out there like seeing breaking it down how are the scenes created and how did it go from the art work to the storyboards to what you see. So I think there’s going to be a lot of that.

:whatever:

i really hope they release all that footage...

I hope so too. The cool thing about WB is that they've given Snyder the money in the past, to finish the cuts of Watchmen and Sucker Punch (sans the original ending), and with the bank that this thing is going to make, I'm sure they're more than willing to fund the completion of an extended cut.

From a forum-The Navy base where I live sometimes gets movies for a single early screening. I mean literally, one single showing. Apparently the film self-destructs or something shortly after it's run once, according to the guy who runs the base theater. Weird. Anyway, so today they had Man of Steel, and me being a huge Superman fan, I got there two hours early to secure a seat (it was first come first serve, and also free). Apparently they have World War Z next week.

ANYWAY, I won't spoil anything here, as I'm not a *beep*, but I don't think Superman fans will be disappointed at all, and even those who aren't fans are in for a pretty good movie. I'm not a "professional film critic," so I don't know how they will react, but I loved it. Zack Snyder was the absolute right choice. And yes, there are super-fights, and they are AWESOME. I'm SO glad a proper, modern Superman movie is out there now. It totally redeems Superman Returns.

So far it seems to have impressed females, service members, fanboys and blogging critics.

There's a good chance this is a four quadrant crowd pleaser.

This could break out and double SR's domestic and overseas box office gross.

Last edited:
Another forum-Just got back from a free military screening. Completely full house (750+ sailors, soldiers, retirees and families).
Completely different from any other Superman film I have ever seen.
All growing up Smallville stuff was flashback.
The Krypton stuff was incredible.
Loved the fact they did not play the whole glasses on/Lois stupid thing at all. In fact, you will be extremely surprised at how many people know or figure things out as the movie progresses.
NO slow-motion
or bullet-time when the super folk are fighting. In 3D, it was dizzyingly exhilarating.
Oh, and when super folk fight, there is incredible amount of damage.
I have no problem with Adams' Lois.

There were several scenes of applause and cheers at our screen, with the biggest coming at the climactic showdown between Zod and Clark.
I am ready to see it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back