TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another forum-Just got back from a free military screening. Completely full house (750+ sailors, soldiers, retirees and families).
Completely different from any other Superman film I have ever seen.
All growing up Smallville stuff was flashback.
The Krypton stuff was incredible.
Loved the fact they did not play the whole glasses on/Lois stupid thing at all. In fact, you will be extremely surprised at how many people know or figure things out as the movie progresses.
NO slow-motion
or bullet-time when the super folk are fighting. In 3D, it was dizzyingly exhilarating.
Oh, and when super folk fight, there is incredible amount of damage.
I have no problem with Adams' Lois.

There were several scenes of applause and cheers at our screen, with the biggest coming at the climactic showdown between Zod and Clark.
I am ready to see it again.

Awesome, love hearing that there was applause and cheering :woot:

The only 2 reactions/reviews that I saw on the MoS tag in tumblr tonight

misschompers

Man of Steel was ok. The first half kinda sucked but it picked up real quick, so the second half was great.

whish-awed

MAN OF STEEL
So I just had the pleasure of watching Man of Steel.
Not what I expected from a Superman movie because the atmosphere was very
tumblr_inline_mo3tp5rPhv1qz4rgp.jpg

But everyone I saw the movie with is like BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR, BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE EVER
and I still maintain that The Avengers is the best superhero movie ever and Star Trek Into Darkness was just as good this year.
But, reasons I liked it:
1. oh **** that man is attractive
2. Amy Adams
3. Russell Crowe has redeemed himself in my mind (after his musical efforts with the Les Miserables cast at the Academy Awards)
4. LOOK AT DAT BODY
But please, let me reiterate: best shirtless scene ever.

4. LOOK AT DAT BODY

Psh. I'd rather they hate the movie than love it for the same reasons girls loved Edward Cullen.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Rotten Tomatoes rating come Monday. I'm hoping 85-95% please please.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Rotten Tomatoes rating come Monday. I'm hoping 85-95% please please.

Wouldn't it be something if it scored a 60% and you still loved it with the fire of a thousand burning suns. :oldrazz:

That's what happened to me and the hobbit.

Wouldn't it be something if it scored a 60% and you still loved it with the fire of a thousand burning suns. :oldrazz:

That's a good example actually. I loved the Hobbit too, however the majority opinion does trickle into my judgement on it as well.

It's sort of like how my favorite films are separate from what I consider the greatest films of all time. The latter is much more informed by the majority opinion.

That's a good example actually. I loved the Hobbit too, however the majority opinion does trickle into my judgement on it as well.

It's sort of like how my favorite films are separate from what I consider the greatest films of all time. The latter is much more informed by the majority opinion.

I don't know, somehow it feels in this era of social media, blogs and twitter and all that stuff, since more people have opinions that are out there, there is a larger number of critics on sites like RT that either (in my opinion) don't get it, or just have a completely different take on what they just saw, at times it feels like they've watched a completely different movie. I felt that with Hobbit mostly. I either don't agree with the criticism or they just don't affect my enjoyment like it did with others.

Pretty much for me the RT score is only relevant during those few days leading up to the movie, because it alters (however subtle it may be) your anticipation of the movie, but after walking out, those scores (for better or worse) are largely forgotten.

I'd have to have that mindset if I'm going to watch Nicolas Winding Refn's Only God Forgives with any sort of peace of mind. (currently sitting at 20% on RT) :funny:

misschompers

Man of Steel was ok. The first half kinda sucked but it picked up real quick, so the second half was great.

whish-awed

MAN OF STEEL
So I just had the pleasure of watching Man of Steel.
Not what I expected from a Superman movie because the atmosphere was very
tumblr_inline_mo3tp5rPhv1qz4rgp.jpg

But everyone I saw the movie with is like BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR, BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE EVER
and I still maintain that The Avengers is the best superhero movie ever and Star Trek Into Darkness was just as good this year.
But, reasons I liked it:
2. Amy Adams
3. Russell Crowe has redeemed himself in my mind (after his musical efforts with the Les Miserables cast at the Academy Awards)
4. LOOK AT DAT BODY

Pfft...teenagers.

I don't know, somehow it feels in this era of social media, blogs and twitter and all that stuff, since more people have opinions that are out there, there is a larger number of critics on sites like RT that either (in my opinion) don't get it, or just have a completely different take on what they just saw, at times it feels like they've watched a completely different movie. I felt that with Hobbit mostly. I either don't agree with the criticism or they just don't affect my enjoyment like it did with others.

Pretty much for me the RT score is only relevant during those few days leading up to the movie, because it alters (however subtle it may be) your anticipation of the movie, but after walking out, those scores (for better or worse) are largely forgotten.

I'd have to have that mindset if I'm going to watch Nicolas Winding Refn's Only God Forgives with any sort of peace of mind. (currently sitting at 20% on RT) :funny:
Exactly. Never does public perception affect my enjoyment of a film, but it does weigh on my subconscious a bit when looking back on films. Wow Only God Forgives is that low. Drive was great. Hard to believe.

Who expected Lara to have a big role? It seems very odd to be disappointed about that. I understood everything else though. :D
I know I will be.

In the end, it all comes down to my unrealistic expectations for this film :cmad: but I was hoping that this time around we would see a bit more of Lara than we've seen in previous incarnations - I think Smallville did a fine job at that. I would like to feel her pain for giving away her son, not only Jor-El's; I want to sympathize with both parents.

In the same way, I was hoping that this time Martha and Jonathan would have similar impact on Clark's upbringing, which, going only by Goyer's and Snyder's interviews, won't be the case. I hope I am wrong, though; I feel closer to Lois&Clark's and Smallville's approach in this regard.

Anyway, at this point, I think I'll be fine if at least I see Supes giving those kryptonians what they deserve after they try to
choke
his mom :woot:

I know I will be.

In the end, it all comes down to my unrealistic expectations for this film :cmad: but I was hoping that this time around we would see a bit more of Lara than we've seen in previous incarnations - I think Smallville did a fine job at that. I would like to feel her pain for giving away her son, not only Jor-El's; I want to sympathize with both parents.

In the same way, I was hoping that this time Martha and Jonathan would have similar impact on Clark's upbringing, which, going only by Goyer's and Snyder's interviews, won't be the case. I hope I am wrong, though; I feel closer to Lois&Clark's and Smallville's approach in this regard.

Anyway, at this point, I think I'll be fine if at least I see Supes giving those kryptonians what they deserve after they try to
choke
his mom :woot:

The characters that definitely need to be fleshed out for me to enjoy the movie are Superman and Zod. I think everyone else is going to be fine anway :yay:

TRON: Legacy for me.

I hate people who say things like that they're obviously teenagers who want all out action from the start. I remember some teenagers saying the same about Batman Begins.

Hell, Thor is my personal favorite right up there with Sups 2 for me, and Thor scored a 77% on RT! Absolutely LOVED THOR!!! Seen it twice at the movie's (both times in 3D) and watch it in my theater room on My 106-inch screen every chance I get, and it's the first movie I put on to show off my theater when friends are over!

MOS seems to be getting better reactions then Thor did at this point in both there first impressions considering tweets and reviews, so nothing anyone says really bothers me at this point. :) All looking VERY positive! :)

Is it normal for a movie to have early screenings like this?
And are the reactions usually 100% positive?

^ It's funny, but I think reading RT scores beforehand makes me a fairer critic. I then weigh whether it meets or surpasses expectations based on critical review. It gives me something to bounce off from, IMHO.

^ It's funny, but I think reading RT scores beforehand makes me a fairer critic. I then weigh whether it meets or surpasses expectations based on critical review. It gives me something to jump off on, IMHO.

I love to read reviews and I really don't mind if people don't like MOS. I just hate comments like that where they clearly have no patience. It's just a shame that certain people don't care about the story they just wanna be eyef**ked for two hours. It's the Michael Bay generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"