TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will re-iterate, the sample is wayyyyyyy too small

What I really love about these kinds of forums is that no one has a problem with critics when the movie they love is getting rave reviews but everyone thinks they are useless once they don't agree with their point of view...

What I really love about these kinds of forums is that no one has a problem with critics when the movie they love is getting rave reviews but everyone thinks they are useless once they don't agree with their point of view...

Most people haven't seen it yet :funny:

Review from Reddit, not sure if posted but worth it ..

Holy ****.

This movie completely blew me away. The cinematography is stunning, the soundtrack is glorious, and the fight scenes are the best I've ever seen in a super hero movie. They even manage to capture one truly tender moment between Clark and his parents.

Zack Snyder has a brilliant imagination and it really comes through in this movie without over powering the subject matter. There is a primal current flowing through this movie that comes to a head in a scene filled with victory, and fear. The cast and crew really knocked it out of the park on this one. I had Pacific Rim pegged as my summer movie but now I'm not sure if Man of Steel can be topped.

Just to be clear, I have problems with the critics ALL THE TIME!

My favorite quote from one review critic is,
"First and foremost, I am blown away by the sheer scale of it. Marvels biggest film so far, The Avengers, looks like a charming episode of Bill Bixby's Incredible Hulk by comparison. And while size doesnt always make something better, if you want to sell the Idea that these are god-like beings battling, then the only way to truly sell that idea is to show what they would do to our planet in the process. No one has staged superhero action like this. No one."

I'm frothing at the mouth waiting for this movie now.

Critics have the most useless profession in the world. Just think about it for a second. Who exactly do these people speak for other than themselves? It can't be the casual movie going audience because more often than not, the movies that bring in the most bank are the ones critics tend to slam. It can't be the fanboys because chances are they don't need anyone to convince them to see a movie they already had a deep affection for the moment they heard it was green lit.

So I ask you. Yes you... crazed Superman forum reading this post right now. You've read the articles. You know more or less what this movie contains. You know the story. You know that feeling you got when first saw trailers 2 & 3. So I ask you... do you really give a FLYING F*** what Miss Ole' Sally Glasses from Middletown, USA thinks about your precious Superman movie? Sally Glasses who's probably in her mid 40's, has never even picked up a comic book, who's only exposure to Superman was a movie from 1978 she hasn't even seen since she was a small girl, and was so starved for attention all her life that she sought out to be a professional film critic....

... you're going to let HER opinion of the movie get you down because Lois wasn't in the movie another 20 minutes and she felt overwhelmed by all the macho male action sequences?

I thought not. Nothing to fear guys. The geeks like you and I, the ones who really love Superman have all gushed over this movie. This is the one we've been waiting for. I don't care if that RT score falls below 70. This movie is going to be an insane smash hit.

As a card carrying C.S.F. (CRAZED SUPERMAN FAN), I pretty much agree. I cannot see any critic/reviewer tamping down my enthusiasmfor this film before I see it. My gut tells me that this is going to be critic proof. Reviews won't hurt it's box office. WB has, surprisingly done a masterful job of advertising MOS. I sense from talking to people that there is great interest in seeing what SNYDER/GOYER/NOLAN have done. In some interviews with cast members like Shannon's on GMA ,even media types seemed hyped for Supes return to silver screen glory. I am not concerned about critics. Will the GA embrace this film? I am hoping so, and I think it will open big. Just my two cents. We should'nt obsess so much over RT scores and the like.

For the record, since you said everyone, I've done this about movies I've hated and movies I've loved and walked out of the movie completely right a majority of the time. To me, that's some basis to not give a damn.

But for the record - Critics get more hits for negative reviews. So they try and go that way more when they can. Problem is if they do it too much it comes back and bites them in the arse. Which I can see them backpeddling already on with this movie. Or ignorantly saying *scoff* like I care that a Fanboy (said with british upperclass royal disdain and a hair flip) thinks.

These are the people who said the original 1978 Halloween was garbage and then recanted after Roger Ebert and a couple other top critics said "Uh... yeah, no it's not."

They are either politically motivated, personally biased, greed or sour that their own film making careers didn't work out most of the time.

And I know that because I know a handful of them personally.

- Jow

From the Variety review -
Gone, too, are any of those lighter moments, fondly remembered from Supermen past, in which our hero — in or out of disguise — used his powers for decidedly non-super feats and, by doing so, grew closer to his fellow man. One longs to see this Superman change a flat or rescue a kitten from a tree or take Lois for a flight around the block.

:doh:

Critics have the most useless profession in the world. Just think about it for a second. Who exactly do these people speak for other than themselves? It can't be the casual movie going audience because more often than not, the movies that bring in the most bank are the ones critics tend to slam. It can't be the fanboys because chances are they don't need anyone to convince them to see a movie they already had a deep affection for the moment they heard it was green lit.

So I ask you. Yes you... crazed Superman forum reading this post right now. You've read the articles. You know more or less what this movie contains. You know the story. You know that feeling you got when first saw trailers 2 & 3. So I ask you... do you really give a FLYING F*** what Miss Ole' Sally Glasses from Middletown, USA thinks about your precious Superman movie? Sally Glasses who's probably in her mid 40's, has never even picked up a comic book, who's only exposure to Superman was a movie from 1978 she hasn't even seen since she was a small girl, and was so starved for attention all her life that she sought out to be a professional film critic....

... you're going to let HER opinion of the movie get you down because Lois wasn't in the movie another 20 minutes and she felt overwhelmed by all the macho male action sequences?

I thought not. Nothing to fear guys. The geeks like you and I, the ones who really love Superman have all gushed over this movie. This is the one we've been waiting for. I don't care if that RT score falls below 70. This movie is going to be an insane smash hit.

Just like any profession, there are people who are good at their jobs and there are people bad at their jobs, and there are tons of people in the middle. So while I agree that you shouldn't listen to "Miss Ole' Sally Glasses from Middletown, USA," it's not because she's a film critic, it's because she is probably not that great of a film critic.

There is an actual level of skill and education necessary to be a film critic. There are things that makes movies good and movie bad. That's why you have movies that are loved and hated equally among the masses. Film critics are able to identify those things and analyze them academically where the general audience probably doesn't think twice. So to deride the whole profession would be irresponsible. You just need to find the people who know what they are doing.

Not sure why you added this little hint of gender bias here, especially the bit about how the ignorant geek girl only cares about girly romance over macho action. Mostly men have given the film negative reviews, and they also list too much action over plot as their main gripe.

I don't put too much stock in reviews, so I appreciate the point you're trying to make. I just could have done without the subtle implication that a female reviewer's criticism can't be taken seriously because she doesn't "get" it like you do.

Why doesn't anyone complain that iron man doesnt fly pepper potts around the block? Or Captain America doesnt direct traffic, such stupid complaints from some of these reviews.

From the Variety review -

:doh:

This review is hysterical, the critic wanted some laughs, some happiness, he finds it too gloomy and dour......... I love The Avengers or Iron Man 3, but I also love superhero movies such as BB, TDK, TDKR and now MOS that take themselves seriously, and offer a realistic approach to the genre, no need for laughs or humor.

Why doesn't anyone complain that iron man doesnt fly pepper potts around the block? Or Captain America doesnt direct traffic, such stupid complaints from some of these reviews.

The thing is, some of things that the the critics complain about are things that the a lot of the GA do not care about. For example critics liked SR but the GA didn't, so maybe some of the things the critics were impressed with like "Lois being flown around" the GA didn't care for.

Not sure why you added this little hint of gender bias here, especially the bit about how the ignorant geek girl only cares about girly romance over macho action. Mostly men have given the film negative reviews, and they also list too much action over plot as their main gripe.

I don't put too much stock in reviews, so I appreciate the point you're trying to make. I just could have done without the subtle implication that a female reviewer's criticism can't be taken seriously because she doesn't "get" it like you do.

You're right. I apologize if it came off that way. That's not what I intended for. I just assumed that type of example would be extreme enough to help deliver the point on a forum I assume is comprised mostly of males. You're right though, it's not a gender thing. I'm sorry if I offended you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"