TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not good.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2013/06/11/review-man-of-steel-never-takes-flight/

This reviewer echoes alot of my own complaints about films nowadays, including why I loathe The Amazing Spiderman. Again, I bring that film up becuase it seems to me that this is becoming standard - to do a by the numbers reboot with no joy or heart, skimp on characterization and make lots of video game **** boom. And people will gobble it up.

These filmmakers needs to remember that what made us fall in love with these superheroes in the first place.... was their CHARACTER.

The comparison to JJ Abrams Star Trek is so testicle shrivelling to me, Im actually considering putting off seeing this on Saturday morning.

"It is glum and dreary in a way that Chris Nolan films are often falsely accused of being"

LMAO say what?? Yeah TDK and TDKR were real up lifters throughout..

This is not good.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2013/06/11/review-man-of-steel-never-takes-flight/

This reviewer echoes alot of my own complaints about films nowadays, including why I loathe The Amazing Spiderman. Again, I bring that film up becuase it seems to me that this is becoming standard - to do a by the numbers reboot with no joy or heart, skimp on characterization and make lots of video game **** boom. And people will gobble it up.

These filmmakers needs to remember that what made us fall in love with these superheroes in the first place.... was their CHARACTER.

The comparison to JJ Abrams Star Trek is so testicle shrivelling to me, Im actually considering putting off seeing this on Saturday morning.

This doesn't surprise me... I have always been sure that (after seeing the trailers) that we're not going to get a 'great story or character development'.. they are trying to do too many characters in 1 show... if they had just concentrated on a couple of characters, that'll work better... but again, character development is not Snyder's forte...

This is not good.

Do not -- I REPEAT -- do not let that reviewer make you believe Man of Steel is comparable to Abrams' Star Trek or Amazing Spider-Man.

I've seen Man of Steel, my review has floated around this forum, and I've answered several questions in the spoiler section. I guarantee you that the movie spends a LOT of time developing Clark's character and the supporting cast before ever cutting loose with the two major fight sequences.

Just reading the first paragraph of the Forbes review makes me sick:

"The film lacks the very things we expect from a Superman film, especially one telling his mythic origin. There is no joy, no sense of discovery, no sense of wonder or hope. The film is so plot-heavy that is lacks basic character interaction, leaving only big-scale spectacle which can only be enjoyed if one turns off their moral compass."

Man of Steel made me feel as though I was discovering Krypton for the first time. It provided a message of hope that was far more compelling than previous entries in the Superman franchise, and I never once felt like it skimped over important character development for the sake of moving onto the action.

Wow. Alot of people getting their capes twisted in here. "Testicle shriveling"? Yowzer! I would love if there were some more whimsical yet character revealing moments in the film. But Snyder was not hired to highlight that aspect of Superman. He was hired to make something more in line with a sprawling biblical/sword and sandal epic.

"The film lacks the very things we expect from a Superman film, especially one telling his mythic origin. There is no joy, no sense of discovery, no sense of wonder or hope. The film is so plot-heavy that is lacks basic character interaction, leaving only big-scale spectacle which can only be enjoyed if one turns off their moral compass."

What people expect of superman these days is what Donner made synonymous with the character. Pass. I don't mind plot heavy sci fi. From what I've seen/heard there is nothing empty about the many father son interactions...

I do wonder if they totally skipped out on the joy and wonder of flight(like they did in Returns).

They may have been true of that Sucker Punch experiment. One might say it was true of 300, though in the same breath the man simply achieved an accurate adaptation of material far more straight forward than the source material here. I won't even get into the dynamics of a solid zombie movie.
Or how he nailed everything in that owl movie none of his detractors bothered watching.

However Snyder imo, makes time for all sorts of things with his story telling. From action to emotional beats. Weather people were won over by Watchmen, no one can deny these "touchy, gushy, ooohhs and aahhhhhs moments" weren't present. From Roarsach's last moments to the dramatic rape scene to the quiet scenes with Patrick Wilson and his shame...

Maybe if like other directors, he just removed the action completely(or at the least delivered it with less splendor), people would actually take notice of the rest of the stuff.

I think it's true there are 'moments'.. like i am sure there'll be plenty in MOS.. like father/son, lois/clark, etc... but i think the main complain is there are no coherent character development.. like no 'central theme'... 'no thesis'... just a whole bunch of things sewed together.. which is very much like Snyder...

For example, if he had just concentrated on a 'lois and clark' love story, and everything else revolves around that theme, then people will care more about those 2 characters... rather than try to juggle all characters together...

Shouldn't have came into this thread before seeing the movie. My hype just went down some.......

What people expect of superman these days is what Donner made synonymous with the character. Pass. I don't mind plot heavy sci fi. From what I've seen/heard there is nothing empty about the many father son interactions...

I do wonder if they totally skipped out on the joy and wonder of flight(like they did in Returns).

In no way does Man of Steel skip out on the joy and wonder of flight. It very much highlights the thrill and exhilaration of practically everyone's dream superpower.

"Testicle shriveling"? Yowzer!
In my defense I cannot stand Star Trek 09. To say I hate the film would be a drastic understandment. Id burn every copy in existence if I could. And I would have a smile on my face doing it.

It just might be the stupidest movie Ive ever seen... and thats really saying something because Ive seen some massive turds in my 40 years on this planet.

Last edited:
Shouldn't have came into this thread before seeing the movie. My hype just went down some.......

Not necessarily a bad thing.

Hope high, expect lower.

usually you'll end up happy with the result.

- Jow

First, it's funny to watch people that haven't seen the movie get defensive about negative reviews.

Second, this might be the wildest spectrum of reviews, yet. Only one (Forbes) trashed it. The other negatives seem to have some nitpicks, but cant say it's bad. But the positives seem to to be GLOWING! Nordlings review on AICN seems like he had an outer body experience.

So, I think I'll just wait and see thing, for myself. Also, regarding RT, it is used by many fans who can't decide on what to see. But it won't have any effect on those already primed for it. I use it for smaller films that I'm torn on spending money on. MoS had my $$ commit as soon as it was announced!

In my defense I cannot stand Star Trek. To say I hate the film would be a drastic understandment. Id burn every copy in existence if I could. And I would have a smile on my face doing it.

It just might be the stupidest movie Ive ever seen... and thats really saying something because Ive seen some massive turds in my 40 years on this planet.

What??? I loved Star Trek.. for me, it was the best movie this year up till now... and beats Ironman 3 hands down..

I guess, it truly is in the 'eye of the beholder'... on what's good what's not... :yay:

even the negative reviews get me excited for this film, some of their complaints actually make me happy. i dont want to see any more scenes of superman and lois flying around for a half an hour. Or superman showing up at lois' apartment for a interview.

Robot, I meant ST 09. I havent seen Into Darkness.

Which is good. What if you're completely amazed by it? It's always better to temper your expectations.

even the negative reviews get me excited for this film, some of their complaints actually make me happy. i dont want to see any more scenes of superman and lois flying around for a half an hour. Or superman showing up at lois' apartment for a interview.

Agreed. None of the negative reviews have dampened my excitement for this film in the slightest. And like you, I have actually become more excited in what some reviewers have had issues with.

300 only got a 60% and i thought that movie is amazing, gave me chills.

Robot, I meant ST 09. I havent seen Into Darkness.

Well I kinda agree with this part here.:

From a story-structure point-of-view, David Goyer’s screenplay lacks a genuine second act, a middle portion where the choices of the first act pay off as lessons are learned that give way to the finale. The movie goes straight from introduction to protracted action climax. There is shockingly little actual character interaction, with much of the dialogue occurring in the form of thematic monologue by either Clark himself or his two fathers and his would-be nemesis (Michael Shannon as General Zod, given little to do even as the film tries and fails to give his genocidal schemes shading). The acting is fine among the large cast, although Lois Lane (Amy Adams) is sidelined as a stand-alone character once the action-heavy second-half kicks in.

He's a little harsh, but I'm not 13 anymore either, so I can't turn a blind eye to certain things.

I am not letting reviews or critics deter me from making up my own mind. 95% of the time I wait until AFTER I've seen something to read what the pros think. As for the S:TM hate spreading around, one can look at Superman in various print and screen incarnations and note that a very whimsical/fairy tale aspect of the mythos has been a part of things from the start. It's not something Donner and Co. made up or added to Superman. I like that side of Supes to be shown, and if a critic thinks that not being present is a detriment it does'nt bother me a bit. I am looking forward to a live action FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR climax. Charming is good, but I knew back in 2006 that Supes needed DBZ styled action to find a place in a new generations heart.

Which is good. What if you're completely amazed by it? It's always better to temper your expectations.

Yup. And I guarantee by the time Friday hits, the overall review roundup will be in the high 70s, possibly low 80s

A lot of us are overreacting..

Man of Steel made me feel as though I was discovering Krypton for the first time. It provided a message of hope that was far more compelling than previous entries in the Superman franchise, and I never once felt like it skimped over important character development for the sake of moving onto the action.

Good to hear. :yay:

I can only hope most decide MOS has less fundamental flaws than S:TM.

12 year mind-meld, overbearing control freak god Jor-El, get outta town.

Do not -- I REPEAT -- do not let that reviewer make you believe Man of Steel is comparable to Abrams' Star Trek or Amazing Spider-Man.

I've seen Man of Steel, my review has floated around this forum, and I've answered several questions in the spoiler section. I guarantee you that the movie spends a LOT of time developing Clark's character and the supporting cast before ever cutting loose with the two major fight sequences.

Just reading the first paragraph of the Forbes review makes me sick:

This is why I don't trust the critics. I trust people like you who go into the movie with an open mind. I have read your reviews and spoilers and I could see that you were being fair and honest about what you saw and I appreciate that. :yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"