TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say character development, which is also a criticism that's being levied at MOS for lack of it. Trust me i'm no huge Avengers fan but i can see what most people liked in it, critics and audience.

Even on the character development front the Avengers had massive issues. You pretty much had Bruce Banner and Tony Stark, with everyone else being a sideshow. While I do find most of Snyder's action sequences to be tedious at times, the same thing I can say about the Avengers- mostly because there is no suspense; you pretty much expect everyone to get out in one piece.

The only thing that I hope is that this film doesn't end up being viewed by many like how people view Transformers 1, hell, let alone the latter two films in that franchise, where it makes great money and has great action scenes, but falls flat on a lot of other areas with people.
Well, quite a few of the reviews have been praising story, have they not?

The story is great in my opinion. It makes superman reliable and human which is a plus. Like it or not the flashbacks in Clarks younger days touch on themes explored in the Smallville Tv show.

Well, quite a few of the reviews have been praising story, have they not?

True but it's not exactly uplifting to hear a lot of people saying that some of the biggest issues with the film were its overextended fight sequences and choppy editing at times, and the sad thing is that this is the director's cut that we're getting in theaters so there's not likely to be an "extended version" of the film that would come out with some scenes to even the pace of things.

Never posted in the Supes boards before, primarily a Spidey fan here, but a just got back from an early viewing.

I've been in here a lot lately checking fans reactions, etc., so figured I'd throw mine in.

Verdict: I absolutely loved it!! .... I guess it's some people's job/nature to criticize movies, but if you're like me (has high standards but just generally enjoys movies/doesn't look to nitpick) then I think it's safe to say you'll love this movie as well

As with almost any movie that's ever been made, I'm sure the argument could be made certain characters/events could've been more fleshed out, yada yada but that's just how movies work. Compromises and decisions always have to be made, whether due to story, runtime, etc.. With that said, I didn't see that as an issue at alll (just touching on what some neg reviews are saying) I thought every major character, including Lois Lane, was very good, or at the very least done justice

And just one more time... IT WAS FREAKIN AWESOME I LOVED IT

Never posted in the Supes boards before, primarily a Spidey fan here, but a just got back from an early viewing.

I've been in here a lot lately checking fans reactions, etc., so figured I'd throw mine in.

Verdict: I absolutely loved it!! .... I guess it's some people's job/nature to criticize movies, but if you're like me (has high standards but just generally enjoys movies/doesn't look to nitpick) then I think it's safe to say you'll love this movie as well

As with almost any movie that's ever been made, I'm sure the argument could be made certain characters/events could've been more fleshed out, yada yada but that's just how movies work. Compromises and decisions always have to be made, whether due to story, runtime, etc.. With that said, I didn't see that as an issue at alll (just touching on what some neg reviews are saying) I thought every major character, including Lois Lane, was very good, or at the very least done justice

And just one more time... IT WAS FREAKIN AWESOME I LOVED IT

:grin:

And as for overextended action scenes/too lengthy/etc.., I personally wish there would've been more action lol. Not that there wasn't enough of course, just that it was so good that I wanted to see more of it. I thought it had a perfect balance of action and dialogue/exposition

Also, not sure what people are saying when they say the beginning half felt rushed. I thought everything was thoroughly explained/touched upon, it's just that the movie isn't necessarily linear and didn't unravel the way traditional "origin" movies do. It was very unique in that regard IMO

Seems to me when you look at the negative reviews for the movie the more or less main complain is it lacks that Donner feel or at least that's what I'm getting.

And as for overextended action scenes/too lengthy/etc.., I personally wish there would've been more action lol. Not that there wasn't enough of course, just that it was so good that I wanted to see more of it. I thought it had a perfect balance of action and dialogue/exposition

Also, not sure what people are saying when they say the beginning half felt rushed. I thought everything was thoroughly explained/touched upon, it's just that the movie isn't necessarily linear and didn't unravel the way traditional "origin" movies do. It was very unique in that regard IMO

In your opinion do you think MOS will resonate with the GA? What was the reaction of the audience you saw it with?

Bless you for posting that when I needed to hear it. :)

I know everybody's focusing on the reviews and all and probably wont care about my opinion but I really loved it. Krypton looked amazing and I'm extremely excited for the future of DC on the screen (MOS 2 + JL, namely). I liked the flashbacks and kid Clark. [blackout]I love how it had the elements of the Cadmus Arc (from the JLU animated series) featured in small parts of the movie. That's a really interesting topic.[/blackout] Also, I really loved Faora. She was one of the highlights. Henry is a great Superman.

Overall, I cant wait to see it on Friday at midnight again. 9/10 for me.

The audience loved it and clapped at 3 parts (including the ending).

Last edited:
Great thing to hear. Thanks. 1 day more for me!!! Plan 4 multiple viewings.

i just really liked/was impressed how the movie could deal with fantastic themes/elements/characters but still seem real, and not necessarily comic booky. I love CBMs in general, and being primarily a spiderman fan must say I like marvel too, but I 100% prefer the approach DC is taking.

The elements in MOS are no less fantastic than something like Thor lets say, but MOS feels so much more real and human. Just my preference tho

Ive read some of the negative reviews and they arent that negative. They have their issues with character development, pacing, too much action etc, but I havent read one yet that say that the movie is flat out terrible. At worst they mostly read as the movie is ok or not that good.

The positive reviews on the other hand have mostly been very, very positive.

Just talked to another friend that got back tonight from a screening he said he loved it with a few minor complaints.. That makes 3 people for me I know that dug it..

TOo much action? Not enough Donner... wtf, I'm loving this sort of "criticism"

I still dont' get all the negative reviews that came in... so very strange given the huge advanced buzz and critical acclaim it initially got. Seems like many critics with pre conceived notions of what Superman shoould be like which is stupid.

One last thought before I head out......

while the movie may not be 'perfect,' or 'TEH BEST MOVIE IVE EVR SEEEEN' or whatever, how anyone could walk out of the theater and want to give that movie a "rotten" score/review is beyond me. Sure I'm not against fair criticisms/complaints, every movie's got them, but COME ON(Gob Bluth)

I still dont' get all the negative reviews that came in... so very strange given the huge advanced buzz and critical acclaim it initially got. Seems like many critics with pre conceived notions of what Superman shoould be like which is stupid.

then the sequel might be rated higher tbqh

I know everybody's focusing on the reviews and all and probably wont care about my opinion but I really loved it. Krypton looked amazing and I'm extremely excited for the future of DC on the screen (MOS 2 + JL, namely). I liked the flashbacks and kid Clark. [blackout]I love how it had the elements of the Cadmus Arc (from the JLU animated series) featured in small parts of the movie. That's a really interesting topic.[/blackout] Also, I really loved Faora. She was one of the highlights. Henry is a great Superman.

Overall, I cant wait to see it on Friday at midnight again. 9/10 for me.

The audience loved it and clapped at 3 parts (including the ending).

Nice!! :yay:

Seems to me when you look at the negative reviews for the movie the more or less main complain is it lacks that Donner feel or at least that's what I'm getting.

Not really.. maybe a couple.. most were about the following:

1. Choppy first half (rushed plot)
2. Too much of the 'same' action... and not enough heart. No different from Transformers type action
3. Lack of a coherent character development...

Again, nice!!!

I think it's gonna be really interesting on Friday if the GA ends up loving the film. Because then we're gonna have Man of Steel and Superman Returns separate the audience from the critics, on what our preferred Superman movie is.

I think it's gonna be really interesting on Friday if the GA ends up loving the film. Because then we're gonna have Man of Steel and Superman Returns separate the audience from the critics, on what our preferred Superman movie is.

GA will eat this movie up in a good way.

The movie has flaws, but its an enjoyable, foot on the gas pedal, Summer blockbuster.

In your opinion do you think MOS will resonate with the GA? What was the reaction of the audience you saw it with?

Personally, I think it absolutely will. Maybe even more than with hardcore fans. It seemed to me that a good amount of the people in my theater were going to the screening bc it was free/they won the tickets (esp the 2 girls sitting right next to me, who upon overhearing them before the movie started apparently barely knew what MOS was, saying "who knows maybe this will be good" lol) were cheering/applauding at the end. My entire theater clapped and cheered at the end :up:

One last thought before I head out......

while the movie may not be 'perfect,' or 'TEH BEST MOVIE IVE EVR SEEEEN' or whatever, how anyone could walk out of the theater and want to give that movie a "rotten" score/review is beyond me. Sure I'm not against fair criticisms/complaints, every movie's got them, but COME ON(Gob Bluth)

I guess when people are looking for movies with 'heart' and 'great story' but does not care much about 'action' would...

For instance, all the transformers were really 'fun to watch' movies, but they got really low or rotten reviews...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"