TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe superman should be a little lighter. Which I would agree.

Btw... I love the scene in SII where the 3 kryptonians found out superman's weakness that he cares about the people. Then they use it against him. I hope to see this in MOS.

From what I've been hearing that's not going to happen. A few reviews have mentioned that Superman's battle causes all kinds of damage but he doesn't appear to care about the people being hurt which would be kind of odd to me.

Critics don't seem to know what they want from Superman. With Superman Returns they wanted more action and now they're pining for a Donneresque Superman film again. Bizarre.

Critics don't seem to know what they want from Superman. With Superman Returns they wanted more action and now they're pining for a Donneresque Superman film again. Bizarre.

Or they want a Donner-esque Superman with better (not more) action? It's not rocket science.

From what I've been hearing that's not going to happen. A few reviews have mentioned that Superman's battle causes all kinds of damage but he doesn't appear to care about the people being hurt which would be kind of odd to me.
This scene actually does happen. And it's quite pivotal and powerful.

I have not seen the film so I can not say for certain what each of those criticisms mean. But from what I gather by reading the reviews is that;

- too much plot = too much time focused on little details, too much spoken exposition, not enough visual narrative (essentially the caveats and weaknesses of Nolan's involvement)
- too serious = virtually no attempt at levity for most of the film (which you have to admit films like BB and TDK had their moments) = not funny enough

But in all honesty, it seems like the illusion that this MOS is a great cbm/film and the hype surrounding it is being broken by a few negative reviews when it shouldn't at all. Comic book fans, fanboys and casual movie goers have the usual expectations of what they want from a superhero film with spectacle usually being at the top of the list. As far as I can tell, that's what they'll get in spades. But all I'm seeing are a few people trying to rationalize criticisms into overblown statements like critics wanting a campy film like Batman & Robin again. I don't think that's true. Critics have their own opinions; sometimes their opinions will align with yours, sometimes they won't.

This.

Within the last decade, we've only had about 15 origin films, with two of them being over the same character (Spider-Man)

1. Spider-Man (2003)

2. Hulk (2003)

3. Daredevil (2003)

4. Fantastic Four (2004)

5. The Punisher (2004)

6. Batman Begins (2005)

7. Ghost Rider (2007)

8. Iron Man (2008)

9. Wolverine: Origins (2009)

10. Thor (2011)

11. Green Lantern (2011)

12. X-Men: First Class (2011)

13. Captain America (2011)

14. The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

15. Man of Steel (2013)

And Catwoman, the green hornet, Wanted, Sky High, Kick ash and superhero movie :woot: :o
and to be silly - Doc Oc origins, Venom Origins, Two Face origins, :oldrazz:

I still don't quite understand how a B- constitutes a rotten review for one of the critics, but I guess we'll never know why.

See I thought MOS had tons of heart, and a pretty great story. Like you said I enjoy the Transformers movies for their action to some extent, but I would never in a million years say MOS is comparable to those movies. I feel that MOS has so much more heart... and incredible action which was a bonus

Thanks for keeping things in perspective, Z. As I read the negs I'm all like "Really? Really?! This is great!" so it's good to hear somebody point the train in a positive direction because I think most people are getting derailed by a critics job and forgetting why they've followed this movie for years to begin with and that's to actually see Superman KICK SOME ash all.....day....long. We're getting it.

As somebody said, the GA will speak. This may be one of those times where the critics and GA just isn't on the same page, and that works out in OUR favor.:jedi

A few reviews had 3 stars but still got rotten.
3 stars is suppose to be very good.

I don't think it's fair to lump them altogether. How often does Romeo and Juliet get remade?

We've only seen Superman's origin once before on the big screen and it was decades ago. Besides that MOS seems to have quite a different take on the origin. Doesn't seem like a fair criticism.

Didn't superman returns have flashbacks of his origins? I haven't seen it since it came out.

What is a Critic's job ?

* Guiding audiences about the movies.

* Appreciating the movie's strengths.

* Commenting on movie's flaws.

* Comparing the movie with similar older movie.

It seems nowadays critics focus more on the last two points.

For what it's worth, back up to 70%..

I just accidentally read a big, huge spoiler on another site, and I hate myself. But trust me: It happens.

Myself and my audience laughed a few times, which is plenty enough for me. The humors just much more subtle. If you like jokes on jokes on jokes, like IM type stuff, then ya you'll probably think this movie is too serious (btw I enjoy IM). But I personally prefer the more serious dark knight style movie over the Marvel type.... not to start a war, bc I like them both, they're both good in their own right

Didn't superman returns have flashbacks of his origins? I haven't seen it since it came out.

Not really. They showed a little of young Clark using his powers but the origin was the same as Superman the Movie. That's why they CGI Marlon Brando.

I wonder if any of the critics were Smallville fans.. they could't comprehend the two totally different takes of clark kents origins and their pants exploded in the theaters..

I'll be extremely surprised if this movie when it's all said and done ends up in anything less than the 80s. (not that I haven't said that about movies before and been wrong) Although it is Zack Snyder, and it is technically an action movie, and being that combo some people will just write it off as a throw-away popcorn flick, so I guess I might not be surprised. Idk RT confuses the bad place outa me, half the time I'm shocked movies got such a high % and the other half I'm surprised a movie got so low

I'll be extremely surprised if this movie when it's all said and done ends up in anything less than the 80s. (not that I haven't said that about movies before and been wrong) Although it is Zack Snyder, and it is technically an action movie, and being that combo some people will just write it off as a throw-away popcorn flick, so I guess I might not be surprised. Idk RT confuses the bad place outa me, half the time I'm shocked movies got such a high % and the other half I'm surprised a movie got so low

Superman is such an iconic character it will be more polarizing than something like Iron Man. Then you layer on the action, plot changes, etc.

I just accidentally read a big, huge spoiler on another site, and I hate myself. But trust me: It happens.

I read that ahead of time too. Some freakin d-bag posted it huge right under the youtube video for one of the trailers. but i don't think it ruins anything or the impact so don't beat yourself up ha

Yeah, when you go into something that's labeled "Summer Blockbuster" then that means it's time for some ****ing ACTION! It's amazing how most of the peoples negative reactions to the first trailer was "meh, need more action" and that continued to the 3rd trailer and the T.V spots and it was the action that got the public on fire. We'll see. I think the audiences will speak loud and clear this time around.

Also saw you are from Da 'Burgh! bad place yeah, dude. Black & Yellow....:jedi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"