TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 7

Haven't seen it yet but I'm greatly anticipating it even despite the mixed reviews. I personally thought this would received warmly by critics but dang.

Here's my question to those that saw it.

Did the audience seem into it?

I can't really gauge this since my screening of it was the Aint it Cool News promo screening, and was basically all superman fans (so obviously most seemed to love it) but I dragged my girlfriend along, (she's definitely not a comic movie fan, heck generally not much a movie fan either) but she loved it, and she is even on board to seeing again tomorrow, which is pretty much unheard of for her to want to see the same movie twice let alone the same movie twice 2 days apart.

My score: 7-10

My friend Katie: 7-1/2 out of 10, said she will def be buying the BluRay.

My woman: 8-10

My step daughter (17 yrs old): 7-10 , said wasnt the best movie, but good.

Her friend (17 aswell): 7-10

My buddy (40 yrs old big sups fan): 12-10 (Yes he loved it that much).

It seems the more access the general public this film has the more the positive energy for this film grows. Thank goodness. Im pumped again.

Nah. I mean i get what you're saying. But where was the loss or grave consequence?

Supes saved the mother from Jersey. Lois died and came back. That film had flaws but thats like most 3rd act CBM. In Superman 2 SUpes used that chamber because he knew for sure Luthor would warn Zod. I mean no one dies from Superman's decision.

Other than Luthor's camp, what's wrong with Donner movies was exactly that. both STM and SII had tragic endings that were easily reversed in the last minute.

But those were the times and the movies surely reflect that.

Absolutely. I watched STM and Superman II today, and you can point out plenty of effects that just haven't aged that well. But it didn't matter. He was Superman.

I remember seeing Superman II in the theater, and how all the kids went nuts when he asked the general to step outside.

Same here. One of my happiest movie going memories.

I feel like this should be the true score on RT. My opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherMagic View Post

So it's okay, not great. But that allows for improvement in the sequels.

Reading between the lines it looks to deserve a 65 percent fresh or more. I feel like this movie wouldn't be as polarizing if it wasn't dealing with Superman.

Other than Luthor's camp, what's wrong with Donner movies was exactly that. both STM and SII had tragic endings that were easily reversed in the last minute.

But those were the times and the movies surely reflect that.

Im not trying to bash those films. I love them. But the premise for my post you quoted was that the critics want romance and magic for Superman like S:TM.

Today audience wast tragic and epic. I did not MOS. SO I cant speak for the tragedy. But In Nolan's Batman, Rachel Dawes and Harvey Dent dying severely affected Batman and the decision he made afterwards. In a way he was responsible for their deaths. I mean that's tragic.

Critics, it seems, dont want grimm circumstances for Superman.

I haven't seen the movie yet but it irks me a little bit that WB decided that since 'dark and gritty' worked with Batman that they would just cut and paste that approach and apply it to Superman. Just shows a level of short-sightedness that they've demonstrated before which I think could ultimately lead to the downfall of this new proposed DCU.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! I just got back from it. I loved the whole cast! It was great!!!!! I feel so relieved!!!!! YES!!!!! I must see Amy Adams back as Lois and Cavill as Superman/Clark Kent. Oh wow. The best non spoiler way I can put it is, this is very much on par with the first Iron Man movie. If you are an IM fan, you will have the same type of giddy fanboy reaction as a Superman fan to MOS. A shirt rip scene would have been the cherry on top, but oh well ;)

I haven't seen the movie yet but it irks me a little bit that WB decided that since 'dark and gritty' worked with Batman that they would just cut and paste that approach and apply it to Superman. Just shows a level of short-sightedness that they've demonstrated before which I think could ultimately lead to the downfall of this new proposed DCU.

well, wasn't the story nolan's idea? you think they'd say no to him?

After seeing MOS I am completely mystified that it did not rate the same or better than The Avengers or first Iron Man movie.

No. Not explicitly - though there is a small tentacle like machine and the Kryptonian ship also manifests tentacles. So the Kryptonian computers may have some Brainiac aspects to them

Are there any kind of references to Brainiac in this film? Anything Kryptonian that looks overtly skull-like with tentacles, like his portrayal in the comics and animated series?

1891439-skullship.jpg

Dividedwefall_Brainiac_ship.JPG

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! I just got back from it. I loved the whole cast! It was great!!!!! I feel so relieved!!!!! YES!!!!! I must see Amy Adams back as Lois and Cavill as Superman/Clark Kent. Oh wow. The best non spoiler way I can put it is, this is very much on par with the first Iron Man movie. If you are an IM fan, you will have the same type of giddy fanboy reaction as a Superman fan to MOS. A shirt rip scene would have been the cherry on top, but oh well ;)

I loved the first Iron Man film, I consider it to be the benchmark of superhero origin films. If it can take the "magic" that made that film work, and push it into a straight-laced Avengers spectacle, I'll be a happy camper.

And yet another glowing review that probably won't show up on RT: http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/06/movies-man-of-steel-impressive-and.html

Is it fair to say MOS is Star Wars prequels with better acting, more realism?

All I can say to avoid being spoilerish is that it was nice to not have the opening Krypton scenes be flashbacks. I wasn't sure if it was going to be. The other flashbacks that did happen were very well placed and served the story imo.

Here's the thing though, it is not "Dark and Gritty."

ЯɘvlveR;26100857 said:
well, wasn't the story nolan's idea? you think they'd say no to him?

Well the blame is to be shared with Nolan then. At some point in the making of this movie someone should have said "Mmmmmm you know maybe this doesn't exactly fit the character perfectly".
And before someone says "shut up you haven't seen it", pretty much every other review I'm seeing on RT has it mentioned so I don't think I'm exactly over stepping my boundaries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"