The Dark Knight Rises Tom Hardy as Bane XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
bane_and_vader_by_zgul_osr1113-d59mjuf.jpg

Vader: Y're a Big guy.

Bane: Of Course.

Here's some outside the scope of the theatrical cut materials to throw into the mix:

* Miranda Tate is in her "thirties" (The Dark Knight Trilogy - The Complete Screenplays - The Dark Knight Rises p.12). Marion Cotillard was 35 at the time of filming most of her scenes, and the other actresses they approached in early 2011 for the role were Rachel Weisz (41), Kate Winslet (35), and Naomi Watts (42) or around those ages.

* Young Talia is "about ten" (The Dark Knight Trilogy - The Complete Screenplays - The Dark Knight Rises p. 94) in her first flashback. The Dark Knight Rises (Fox Hills Green) casting call looked for a young girl of 10 to play the part. Then-8 year old actress Leilah de Meza was approached before then-11 year old Joey King. Child Talia is "older now" when making the climb out of the pit (p. 118).

* The Hollywood Reporter reported "Sources say Pence will appear in scenes that take place 30 years prior to the present story."

* Costume designer Lindy Hemming said about Bane, "[...] the menace is within him, it isn’t because he’s a wrestler, and he’s also an older character. He’s not a young kid. He’s an older man who as you see the film, you’ll know that he’s been around for a long time, so that’s as much as I can kind of tell you, but the reason he looks like he looks is he’s much more of a warrior/mercenary kind of man."

Talia escaping the pit is 20 years before Batman Begins then. So Miranda is 38-39 in TDKR then.

Talia escaping the pit is 20 years before Batman Begins then. So Miranda is 38-39 in TDKR then.

That makes sense. It couldn't really be any older then that. Otherwise Talia and Bane look real damn good for their ages.

Talia escaping the pit is 20 years before TDKR as Pence appears as young Ra's 30 years earlier to events in TDKR.

Talia escaping the pit is 20 years before TDKR as Pence appears as young Ra's 30 years earlier to events in TDKR.

It was already said young Ra's is 30 years before Batman Begins. Then ten years later when Talia is 10.

That makes sense. It couldn't really be any older then that. Otherwise Talia and Bane look real damn good for their ages.

Dedicating yourself to a lifestyle of martial arts the way they have can do that for you. I've met men in their 60s who could pass for their 40s, and whip 25-year-old athletes' asses.

Yeah its gotta be Voldemort. 8 films of build up and then the big moment I was ready for one of the biggest fist pump/**** YEAHHHH moments in film history... and he just fades away. It genuinely took me out of the film because it was so underwhelming.

I've always found Voldemort's death in the books to be as bad as the one on screen. I've been a fan of HP since book 3 and waiting so many years just to see Harry's expeliarmus charm vs Voldemort's Avada Kedavra curse felt so lame and disappointing...

But to stay on topic, Bane/Vader pic is really cool :yay:

Those injuries did'nt hinder him when he fought those mercs,or when he chased Bane's men after the stock exchange heist.They did'nt stop him from dodging assault rifle rounds.Infact Bane was the only thing that stopped him.
Those mercs were not Bane. Bane is exactly not the person you want to face when you're not up to standard, but think you are. Bane is not regular and does take effort to put down. One or two hard punches aren't going to do it, and they didn't.

Something for discussion...

From Hitfix' "2nd look" analysis of TDKR:

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captur...k-knight-rises-digs-into-the-bad-and-the-ugly

BANE

One important rule that Christopher Nolan has taken full advantage of is that Batman needs a worthy adversary in each film, someone who reflects back some aspect of himself. In the first film, Batman barely understood who he was up against. It's not until Ra's Al Ghul reveals himself at what is very close to the end of the film that Batman understands what's happening or who is pulling the strings. As a detective, he fails in almost every way, staying behind the plan the entire time. In "The Dark Knight," he had a handle on the city, even if just temporarily, and when the Joker makes himself a threat, Batman throws himself into the hunt without any hesitation. He knows how to handle The Joker, and in the end, he catches him even if he has to compromise himself in the process.

Bane is basically a combination of both the theatrical gamesmanship of R'as Al Ghul and the destructive unpredictability of The Joker, and he's also a physical threat on a scale that Batman is simply unprepared for, a mixture that seems perfect for the concluding film in the trilogy.

Like The Joker, Bane has no identity other than "Bane." He's got that one name, that one identity. He is Bane from the moment we meet him. The Joker tells constant lies about himself and his backstory, and Nolan tells one big lie about the origin of Bane. That lie is designed to hide the film's biggest reveal, and we do eventually learn the truth about Bane. It seems fitting that in the one flashback where Nolan tells the full truth about Bane's identity, we finally catch that single glimpse of Tom Hardy's face.

Bane's big plan (which could more accurately be described as Talia's big plan) is designed to do one thing: destroy Gotham. And while it is indeed elaborate to the point of insanity, elaborate in a way you never see outside of movies, depending on all sorts of predicted behavior by Batman and also requiring a sort of supernatural degree of luck to make sure everything goes his way, there is a larger purpose here.

Talia and Bane don't just want to destroy Gotham… they also want to humble Bruce Wayne. This is a movie about revenge on a grand scale with an entire city as the battleground that is chosen. Bruce, who created Batman to protect Gotham, turns out to be the match that lights the fuse on the explosive that nearly levels the city. The grand gesture is the point of the plan, of course. As we've heard repeatedly in these films, The League Of Shadows believes in theatricality. Since they know how Bruce Wayne was trained, why he was born, they know exactly how to blow past his defenses.

The entire reconnection of Bane by Nolan and company is bold and striking, starting with that voice. I'll admit freely that it makes me laugh. I love doing my Bane voice for my kids, because it makes them laugh. I don't think that's a bad thing. It's such a deranged choice, and it makes him stand out as a character. By now, you may have seen this "gotcha" video about the way the voice was reworked between the release of the prologue and the release of the film.

I'm not really sure that video proves anything other than "films are often edited with additional sound mixing during the the six months before they're released," but it is interesting to see how Nolan's thinking on the voice evolved as they got closer to release.

Because so much of his face is covered, Hardy has to communicate much of what he's thinking physically, and it's a Lon Chaney performance. It's aggressive and often quite funny. There is such attitude in his body language. People have made jokes about the banners and the stills of Bane, and I've seen a thousand variations on "Come at me, bro!" and, honestly, that's not far off from the truth. The physical performance is what makes the voice funny, and vice-versa. He's like a gorilla wearing a monocle and a tuxedo. It's communicated so clearly, and there should be credit for finding a way to make him more than just a big guy in a mask.

I've seen complaints that Bane's first fight with Batman is too brief, but that's the point. Bruce is finished the moment that fight begins. He's treating Bane as "just another bad guy," while Bane is treating Batman as the single most important fight in the world, a pure expression of his love for Talia.

That connection, that backstory for Bane and Talia, is what I wasn't expecting, and it's one of the things I really like about the film. Bane's single-mindedness is boring to me if it's just because "he's the bad guy." But as the payoff to a chaste love story, with this blinding lifelong devotion defining all of Bane's actions, I love it. And again, like R'as Al Ghul and The Joker, he uses his henchmen as disposable game pieces, easily sacrificed and never missed. He has no loyalty to anything or anyone but Talia. If you try to make sense of the politics of the film, you'll drive yourself crazy. Sure, Bane instigates a class riot, but look closer. He exploits an uneasy lower class to destroy the ruling class and in the end, he doesn't seem remotely interested in the fate of either of them except inasmuch as it affects Bruce. That's all he really cares about, and he knows how much Gotham means to Bruce. If they just kill him, and the movie makes it clear that they easily could kill him at one point, then he's gone. It's done. It's clean. The film makes the point several times that this is all about breaking down everything that matters to Bruce and making him watch. Gotham symbolizes everything that was taken from him as a kid, and Bane knows that the more he hurts Gotham, the worse it hurts Bruce.

Bane's overall attitude also makes sense if we view him as a dark funhouse mirror version of Bruce. Bane baits the hook with something that is designed to appeal to Bruce's arrogance, his overconfidence. Bane makes himself an irresistible target, and as confident as Bruce is, Bane's at least twice as sure of himself. Any moment where Bruce gets the upper hand or surprises him at all, Bane seems shocked. He's that sure of himself. Bane is what Bruce would have been if he'd followed R'as Al Ghul's order during his initiation. He also turned his back on Al Ghul, though, for a different reason. When I see people talk about the relationship that Talia and Bruce as supposed to have, it's one of those disconnects where you just have to set aside the comics or the animated series. That's not the story that's being told. This Talia could never fall in love with Bruce Wayne. She despises him for killing her father. She may have been estranged from R'as Al Ghul, and the film certainly makes it sound like her love for Bane complicated things with her father, but she still loved him. Bane should hate R'as Al Ghul for excommunicating him, but his love for Miranda is more important to him. He's willing to extract vengeance in Al Ghul's name because it is important to her. Who knows? Maybe in a different version of this world, Bruce accepted his place with R'as and he and Talia do end up together. That's just not the story Nolan wanted to tell, and so the romantic longing that drives this horrifying, destructive plan has been rebuilt completely, reassigned.

Here's Talia's:
MIRANDA TATE

The slow knife. She is the true villain of the film, although she spends less than fifteen total minutes of screen time revealed as Talia Al Ghul. Everything that happens in the film happens because of a plan she devised, a plan she executed, a hatred she has harbored since the end of "Batman Begins." As with "Batman Returns," where every one of the villains could be seen as an extension, she is another dark fractured mirror version of Bruce, twisted by the death of a parent, driven to wear a different face in her pursuit of revenge. The main difference between them is that her secret identity really is a secret up to the moment she reveals herself, whereas the truth about Batman seems to be known by almost everyone in the film.

When Miranda sleeps with Bruce, it's a calculated move. She knows he's vulnerable, and she uses that as a way of getting close to him, of finally getting in so he will trust her and take her to the fusion reactor. She's been biding her time but finally has to press because the mechanics are in motion. She's the one who wants Wayne's personal data, his fingerprints. She's the one whispering in Bane's ear, all the while portraying herself as a sympathetic presence. She throws a charity ball that she pays for out of her own pocket, shaming Bruce when he tries to poke at her in conversation. She is too good to be true, and that gets through to Bruce so that when Alfred leaves and he's broken emotionally, he needs someone and she's close. She's suddenly available and right there, and Bruce is human. It's one of his genuine mistakes in the film, trusting her, leaving her alone in Wayne Manor, for god's sake. He gets up from sleeping with her, puts on the suit, and heads out as Batman. How crazy is that, in the first place, and how easy would it have been for Miranda to just kill him in his sleep when they were together? All the mechanics, everything she puts the city through, playing innocent the whole time so that every move he makes, he's feeding directly to her, it's all because of her and her hatred for him for taking her father.

And why shouldn't she hate him? Let's imagine that you pare away Bruce Wayne's story altogether and you just tell the story of a young man who falls in love with the wrong woman and is punished horribly for it. His child is taken away, and forced to grow up in darkness and in pain, and eventually escapes, reuniting with her father. Together, they build something, an organization designed to strike back at the people who exercise their power over others with prisons and torture, designed to make sure that she and her father need never fear anyone again. Is her story really that far off from Bruce's? There's more drama in the relationship between father and daughter, drama brought on by a young man, and things are tense and weird as a result. Even so, when the father is killed, the daughter is destroyed, and she devotes everything she's got, along with her one love, to finding and destroying the person who did it to her. If the trilogy told her story, then the entire third film is all about her triumphant plan going perfectly well until the last three or four minutes, when it all goes to hell and she loses. The end. That's a raw deal for her, and this really has been building all that time for the character, even if I think Nolan did some clever reverse-engineering to tie it all together. His use of the clip of Neeson talking about his back-story from "Batman Begins" is spectacular, a great example of a distant mountain that he and his brother and Goyer dropped into that first film's script, and they've taken it and turned that hint into something big and operatic and, in the end, fairly sad.

I think it's always rough to see revenge played out on such a big primal scale. Miranda's wrath is horrible, relentless. She takes Bruce's money. She takes his legacy. She takes his dignity. She takes his freedom. And then she burns his city to the ground, which is really just a bigger version of R'as burning Wayne Manor to the ground in the first film. She makes him watch his beloved Gotham slowly crumble. She engineers and encourages from the shadows. It's only upon reflection that you realize how many things Miranda was doing in the time she's not onscreen. Writing a villain like this, someone whose main actions remain off-stage until the moment of reveal, is never easy, and I like the way Miranda reveals herself, the story she offers, the glimpses we see. Cotilard is awesome, and while this may be part three of a big giant corporate comic book movie, that's not the work she does. She plays this like it's real and important and just as serious as anything else she's done, and I think she's one of the things that really pulls the film together. Her few moments with her mask off, she's wrecked, and there's a dead haunted thing she's got going on that I like a lot.

He had Catwoman, Gordon, Blake, Lucius, and an army of Cops helping him at the end of TDKR.

In TDK, he only had Lucius by his side helping him man a Sonar machine, which had Batman built himself I might add. He had to take on Joker and his dogs, Joker's men, two SWAT teams, all the while preventing dozens of hostages from being killed by being mistaken as the bad guys. He did that all by himself. He also caught Joker and stopped him from blowing up the ferries.

He was also the only one who knew the people on the ferries wouldn't kill each other. Joker, Gordon and everyone else were sure they would. He had also saw through Joker's set up at the Prewitt building; "It's not that simple. With the Joker it never is". Nope, for me Batman was at his most impressive in TDK by far.

It was clear from the beginning of TDKR that Batman was past his best. That's one of the 'falls' he had to learn to pick himself up from during this movie. I agree that TDK seemed to be his peak...he had the mobsters covered and even though he underestimated the Joker at first, he proved that he'd started to figure him out by the time of the Prewitt building scene, as you mentioned.

"No one cared who I was til I put on the mask."

I'm not sure I understand this line anymore after having seen the film, as it could be filed in the category of being a bit misleading so as not to give away his real past with Talia.

What's your interpretation?

I'm not sure I understand this line anymore after having seen the film, as it could be filed in the category of being a bit misleading so as not to give away his real past with Talia.

When Bane was in the pit he valued innocence, he was Talia's protector but he had to pay for that as he was attacked by prisoners too.

As Taila's quote says-

"Talia: I climbed out of the pit. I found my father, and brought him back to exact terrible vengeance. But by that time, the prisoners and doctor had done their work to my friend, my protector."

so, by the time Talia was back with her father to rescue Bane from the pit prison, he was already feeling pain and the prison doctor had put a temporary mask of some sort to reduce the pain (maybe the mask was dipped in some sort of drug.)

The Bane stepping out of the prison was a man who wore a mask that made him immune to pain that he felt (and metaphorically speaking, immune to pain felt by others, like his tormentors)

The new Bane who wore a mask gave him a new identity, people feared him, he felt no pain and no empathy but he inflicted pain on others.

I think Bane is just saying "No one cared who I was until I became a myth and a symbol".

Dramatic examples and becoming more than a man and all that.

That line needs to be put in context.

A cia officer asks him , who are YOU ?

He answers : It doesn't matter who WE are. What matters is OUR plan. No one cared WHO I WAS until I put on the mask.

I think this little dialogue gives a lot about him. He answers a personal question , referring himself as a part of a group (and their mission) , and not as an individual. It tells me he's a man who acts upon belief (whatever it is) , and who puts himself at the level of his followers (at least in what they are trying to accomplish). They work for a common goal. The individualization of him , came from the mask (probably the way he was seen in the prison from a strong guy to someone people feared and now his position in LOS and of course the way the authorities saw him.).

Obviously this is a major reference to the themes of Symbols and Leadership on societies , that all 3 movies develop. Going back to Begins , his mask was the first step to create a man who became something else. The apparatus is a visual representation of what Bruce refers to "dramatic examples" people need to shake them out of apathy.

Last edited:

That he gained notoriety as 'the masked man' instead of just 'the guy with big lips and crooked teeth'.

That he gained notoriety as 'the masked man' instead of just 'the guy with big lips and crooked teeth'.

This.

The first words about Bane in the film is "He was trying to grab your prize. The masked man."

He was Bane (with the mask) outside.His life changed after his sacrifice for Talia. He lost his face but he got his freedom,become LOS member, did all those mercenary things.

In pit, before he had a mask... he was nobody.

Yup. The simple fact that he had a mask added a lot to his intrigue, not just for the audience but within the reality of the film too. Even his name, "Bane" contributes to that as well.

Now, the question is do we think he earned that name in the prison, or could that be something Ra's named him?

In pit, they talk different language than English.It's a nickname given by Ra's or CIA etc. probably.

By the way, do you think LOS members are totally different than the ones Ra's had in BB. Ra's henchmen were trained ninjas all over the world..Bane's henchmen were mostly mercenaries with south european accent or something.Ra's henchmen gave a lot of fight to prime Batman.. these guys easily hunted by him.

Poor men's LOS imo.

I dunno, it doesn't quite seem like something Ra's would do but he seems like the most likely person.

I think at some moments during the film (especially the sewer fight) you could see the makeup on Hardy's arms and shoulders "caking". I liked how it made Bane a little more menacing, in a way.

It may be a limit of the character himself but do you think there is anything either hardy or the creators could have done whereby the bane performance would have been seen to be on par with that of ledgers for the joker?

As in hardy being seen as a shoe in for a best supporting actor nom like ledger or bane going down as one of the great cinematic villains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"