The Dark Knight Rises Tom Hardy as Bane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just shocked that you guys are advocating for Bane NOT to be from South America.

I'm just shocked that you guys are advocating for Bane NOT to be from South America.

I'm not saying I don't want him to be from South America, I just said he doesn't have to be.

I'm not saying I don't want him to be from South America, I just said he doesn't have to be.

This. No matter what, I'm sure Nolan will do good with it, but Bane's past and whole luchador influence thing never gelled with me. Especially the latter. I always found it silly. I think Nolan can do better. But if he decides to go with the South American thing, then fine.

As much as I love BTAS and how Bane is portrayed watching it and hearing his voice and knowing his background, never did I proclaim, "This IS Bane!" I mean come on, does it for you? Is it really essential?

Really, it's not the defining attribute to the character.

Is Trav South American?
No, and even if I was, what would that have to do with anything? Hehe....

My point is simple: Bane is from South America, he should stay that way. That's why he wears a mask. All of Nolan's changes to his characters have been made, and I HATE to say this, to fit in a more realistic setting. That's why Ras isn't immortal, and that's why Joker isn't perma-white. Two-Faces origin isn't that out of place, cause he's had different scarring origins in the comic, BTAS, and of course TDK.

Now, what would be the point of changing Bane's origin/accent, other than for the hell of it? Bane can easily come for South America in this series, so it shouldn't change, cause it's easily adaptable, unlike an immortal human being, and a perma-white clown.

Last edited:
As much as I love BTAS and how Bane is portrayed watching it and hearing his voice and knowing his background, never did I proclaim, "This IS Bane!" I mean come on, does it for you? Is it really essential?

Really, it's not the defining attribute to the character.
Then why, may I ask, does he have an accent in every version we've seen him in, beside Arkham Asylum? Why is he from South America in every version we have(comics and every animated version)? It's almost like saying that having a Joker who doesn't laugh isn't a defining attribute to the character.

Was Joker's bleached white skin a defining attribute because it was shown over and over again in the comics, tv shows, and video games? It didn't seem to be to Nolan. And that didn't effect the character himself at all. Whether you liked the Joker's look or not, it was the Joker. The anarchist, the terrorist. He has always been these things, but Nolan really showed that in the context of his vision.

Bane isn't as huge a character as the Joker. With the Joker there are neccessities. Which would you be more angry about them changing? I can guarantee you whatever changes could happen to Bane, they will be nowhere near as bad as they were with the Joker four years ago, and the changes weren't much either.

Remember the "I've seen the seen Joker and he is not the Joker from my childhood!" sigs four years ago? It's not like that with Bane.

This is what I'm talking about. The comics are the comics. They'll follow what's happened before. Or sometimes, they'll even reinvent (something comic book fans seem to overlook) Movies have to opportunity to do something new and different. If that chance happens, and you think it will be great or improve the story, do it. It just has to be a good idea.

Shouldn't we be learning by now filmmakers do this all the time? Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't, but it's not always about staying true to the source material. It's about making the right decisions.

Last edited:

I'm advocating for Bane to be from wherever Nolan likes, so long as he's recognizably Bane in terms of character and such. He changed Scarecrow from a Professor--gave him a role more suited to Hugo Strange--but Scarecrow was still recognizable as Scarecrow. Had the mask, fear gas etcetera.

Chillax guys or I will skritch you.:yay:

On Venom: There's drugs out there that apparently make a person impervious to pain without hindering their motor skills. That should be one of Venom's abilities if Nolan adapts it as well.

He changed Scarecrow from a Professor--gave him a role more suited to Hugo Strange--but Scarecrow was still recognizable as Scarecrow. Had the mask, fear gas etcetera.
Dr. Jonathan Crane was a psychiatrist in the comics and in BB. Where are you getting the idea that he was a professor?

Doctor Jones said:
Was Joker's bleached white skin a defining attribute because it was shown over and over again in the comics, tv shows, and video games? It didn't seem to be to Nolan. And that didn't effect the character himself at all. Whether you liked the Joker's look or not, it was the Joker. The anarchist, the terrorist. He has always been these things, but Nolan really showed that in the context of his vision.
Yes, I understand this, but the perma-white was changed to fit into a more realistic setting. Is South America too crazy for a Nolan film now?

And furthermore, who said I even like the makeup Joker from TDK?

Dr. Jonathan Crane was a psychiatrist in the comics and in BB. Where are you getting the idea that he was a professor?

Yes, I understand this, but the perma-white was changed to fit into a more realistic setting. Is South America too crazy for a Nolan film now?

1. Joel Schumacher
2. It might seem a bit random that a luchagimp from SA suddenly has an urge to break Batman.

No, I got the idea that Joker had gotten sick of society and decided to lash out. Batman just happened to be there. And he latched on to Batman.

Joel had written Crane as a college professor in the Bat flick that was to follow up Batman and Robin, so I figured he was a college professor in the comics.

No, I got the idea that Joker had gotten sick of society and decided to lash out. Batman just happened to be there. And he latched on to Batman.

Joel had written Crane as a college professor in the Bat flick that was to follow up Batman and Robin, so I figured he was a college professor in the comics.

maybe you should try reading the comics before going by what Joel Schumacher says about characters he obviously knows nothing about?

But what does that have to do with anything? You were talking about Nolan, and even said "he", referencing back to Nolan, and then described what we saw from Scarecrow in BB.

I'm just getting confused why we're talking about Schumacher now? :huh:

We're all destined to talk about good ole Joel forever.

I'm talking about the attributes of a character. What's essential or not. The perma white wasn't. It doesn't define the Joker. Neither does Bane's South American background.

And I mentioned in my post, regardless of how he looked, the character of the Joker was there, just like you said, fit Nolan's vision. Being perma white didn't damage the quality of the character did it? But still, alot of the visual of the Joker was there, but that's another discussion, one that I know where you stand with, which is fine with me.

maybe you should try reading the comics before going by what Joel Schumacher says about characters he obviously knows nothing about?

He knew enough about Freeze to build on his sorrow at his wife's condition by having him hide behind false gaiety. Beneath that he added a layer of self-loathing that Freeze directed at Gotham. He also touched on Freeze feeling demasculated by having him blast Gotham with a phallic ice-ray.

I've read TLH and DV, btw.

He knew enough about Freeze to build on his sorrow at his wife's condition by having him hide behind false gaiety. Beneath that he added a layer of self-loathing that Freeze directed at Gotham. He also touched on Freeze feeling demasculated by having him blast Gotham with a phallic ice-ray.

I've read TLH and DV, btw.

Your arguments are kind of all over the place aren't they?

And the Animated Series was the first place we saw Freeze with his sick wife.

I'm talking about the attributes of a character. What's essential or not. The perma white wasn't. It doesn't define the Joker. Neither does Bane's South American background.

And I mentioned in my post, regardless of how he looked, the character of the Joker was there, just like you said, fit Nolan's vision. Being perma white didn't damage the quality of the character did it? But still, alot of the visual of the Joker was there, but that's another discussion, one that I know where you stand with, which is fine with me.

I agree with this. Bane's South American heritage is not an essential part of the character. If you take away where he's from but still make him a muscular guy that was raised in a prison and injects venom, Bane is still more or less the same character. And in reference to Scarecrow being a college professor in the comics, or Joker being perma-white, I'd argue those are far more important to those characters' origins than Bane being from South America.

Dr. Jonathan Crane was a psychiatrist in the comics and in BB. Where are you getting the idea that he was a professor

Actually he was a professor of psychology at Gotham University. Him being a professor at Gotham University is a pretty important part of his origin story.

Actually he was a professor of psychology at Gotham University. Him being a professor at Gotham University is a pretty important part of his origin story.
What does this have to do with the initial conversation we were having? Mr. Wooden Alligator was implying that Nolan(or Schumacher) changed the character of Crane to just a professor, and not a psychiatrist of Arkahm. He was trying to make a point, but it went in a weird direction, which I'm still a bit confused by. Crane wasn't teaching in BB, he was just a regular psychiatrist. Yes, being a doctor, he can, and has taught, but we're talking about Nolan's movies. He wasn't a teacher in the movie.....

Last edited:
I found this Bane cosplay while lurking for reference pics, and found the mask pretty interesting, looks like it's made of plastic instead of just fabric like other cosplays:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"