Who do you want to see as Captain Marvel? - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't mind Blake Lively at all. She definitely is gorgeous and charming, and her personality kind of reminds me of Melissa Benoist.

But, I don't want Supergirl, I want Captain Marvel. Melissa comes across as too bubbly.

And Phoenix was gonna be Dr. Strange, and Blunt was gonna be Black Widow...

It's not a done deal, until it's a done deal.

I actually like Blake more. I think she's unfairly judged. She's a sweet girl with acting chops.
I'm sure she's lovely but we'll just have to agree to disagree on the "acting chops" part. And before anyone asks, yes, I've seen The Town, Savages, Age of Adaline and even Hick. I just rarely find her convincing.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/06/the-shallows-review-blake-lively

Now if that's not a description of an actress who should play a super hero of Capt Marvel's caliber, I don't what is.

She's shown she can carry a movie more than once now. She's popular, charismatic, drop dead gorgeous, young, and talented; make it happen Fiege.

Well, that first paragraph sounds kind of like Captain Marvel. But, there's more to her than that. Does lively have the gravitas that would allow her character to take command as a military leader? Brie Larson has demonstrated an uncanny ability to pull off an authoritative character in both Room and Short Term 12.

I think the important thing to remember is that Marvel clearly wants her, not Blake Lively as their Captain Marvel. Talks could very well fall through, but it's most likely that they won't. Especially if you consider how well Marvel's casting has been recently. Just look at the casting of all those A-list actors in Thor: Ragnarok. Feige remarked at how blessed he would have been if he could have just one of them.

Last edited:
Hopefully Marvel can close the deal with Larson. Would be extremely disappointing if she slipped away.

I'm sure she's lovely but we'll just have to agree to disagree on the "acting chops" part. And before anyone asks, yes, I've seen The Town, Savages, Age of Adaline and even Hick. I just rarely find her convincing.

It isn't for me to decide your tastes I can only say I enjoy her energy moreso than Brie's. Blake has more of an effervescence to her personality than she does. I find Brie's stage presence very hollow which has worked really well for her offbeat aloof roles but we need someone with more charm and magnetism imo.

I don't think Lively is a bad actress but I think Larson is a far, far better actress. Now being a very good actress doesn't mean that you are right for a role of course. I believe that Larson is overall better for the role outside of her great raw acting talent.

One thing I can guarantee you though... If for some reason the deal with Larson doesn't go through(highly unlikely at this point), Blake Lively will NOT be who gets the role. I know it seems like a strange and bizarre concept, but there are actually more than four talented blonde and athletic twenty something actresses in Hollywood who are at least somewhat well known. And I know this is an even stranger concept, but an actress's hair color can be changed.

As for Brie... One thing to keep in mind. Marvel most likely wants to announce the Captain Marvel news at SDCC. For that to happen, it means a deal is probably already in place with Brie or is very close to being signed. Whoever gets the role will need to sign on soon as IW1 begins production near the end of the year. Carol may not have a big role in the first film, but she is most likely going to be there(and not just as a two second cameo). Brie has been pretty consistent in that she likes to prepare for her roles. She's going to need time with a trainer(as would ANYone who is cast in this role), and more than likely, both Marvel and Brie will want her to be taken up in a fighter jet to get a feel for what that's like. Another thing Brie is probably going to want to do will be to talk to and spend a brief amount of time around fighter pilots to get a feel for what they are actually like. You know... So she doesn't repeat any of the mistakes and poor acting choices Blake Lively made in Green Lantern. Sorry... Couldn't resist. 😉

Last edited:
One thing I can guarantee you though... If for some reason the deal with Larson doesn't go through(highly unlikely at this point), Blake Lively will NOT be who gets the role. I know it seems like a strange and bizarre concept, but there are actually more than four talented blonde and athletic twenty something actresses in Hollywood who are at least somewhat well known. And I know this is an even stranger concept, but an actress's hair color can be changed.

As for Brie... One thing to keep in mind. Marvel most likely wants to announce the Captain Marvel news at SDCC. For that to happen, it means a deal is probably already in place with Brie is very close to being signed. Whoever gets the role will need to sign on soon as IW1 begins production near the end of the year. Carol may not have a big role in the first film, but she is most likely going to be there(and not just as a two second cameo). Brie has been pretty consistent in that she likes to prepare for her roles. She's going to need time with a trainer(as would ANYone who is cast in this role), and more than likely, both Marvel and Brie will want her to be taken up in a fighter jet to get a feel for what that's like. Another thing Brie is probably going to want to do will be to talk to and spend a brief amount of time around fighter pilots to get a feel for what they are actually like. You know... So she doesn't repeat any of the mistakes and poor acting choices Blake Lively made in Green Lantern. Sorry... Couldn't resist. ��

Whoa! So, there's a short list if the talks don't go through? Who is on it?

I agree with you on Lively in Green Lantern. She sucked in that film, though that was a long time ago. Brie Larson locked herself for over three months, cut off from the rest of the world to prepare for Room. She doesn't joke around when preparing for roles.

la-en-brie-larson-room-20160216

I thought Lively was as okay as one can be in a terrible film such as Green Lantern. Still probably miscast though.

I wonder if these Blake Lively fans actually want the Brie Larson talks to fall through just so us fans have to wait for another two months of negotiations with Marvel's next runner up for the character. I think most of us are anxious and just want the actress to be announced.

It isn't for me to decide your tastes I can only say I enjoy her energy moreso than Brie's. Blake has more of an effervescence to her personality than she does. I find Brie's stage presence very hollow which has worked really well for her offbeat aloof roles but we need someone with more charm and magnetism imo.
As you say, her recent roles haven't really called for those qualities, but I thought Brie had plenty of effervescence, charm and magnetism in the United States of Tara and Tanner Hall. To each their own, though.

She'd make for a good Karla Sofen/Moonstone.

I don't see her being in MCU at all.....it would be.....awkward.

I think the deal with Brie is done. If they've been talking since April, that's over 2 months. The only way we're going to hear anything else about this is if the deal falls through and they start in talks with someone else. I think we would have already heard if there was a problem.

The only reason I'd like to see the deal fall through is because it would be interesting to see what would get posted on this thread. It would be....well......entertaining.....

I don't see her being in MCU at all.....it would be.....awkward.

I think the deal with Brie is done. If they've been talking since April, that's over 2 months. The only way we're going to hear anything else about this is if the deal falls through and they start in talks with someone else. I think we would have already heard if there was a problem.

The only reason I'd like to see the deal fall through is because it would be interesting to see what would get posted on this thread. It would be....well......entertaining.....

What would be more awkward? Moonstone or Captain Marvel being played Blake Lively? Black Widow would hate Captain Marvel for stealing her boyfriend. But if, Moonstone is played by Lively, she'll probably abduct Black Widow and Captain Marvel(Brie Larson) will have to rescue her. :oldrazz:

At this point, I just want Captain Marvel cast. There's always going to be some up and coming actress, but if Marvel has been courting Brie since March/April, then it's likely she's been cast. I don't want to have to wait another couple of months for Marvel to lock down another actress. Though, I suppose the reaction could be "entertaining" for some.

We'll know for sure in about 23 days.

We'll know for sure in about 23 days.

It's not going to fall through at this late of a date. If there were a problem, talks would have broken off way earlier and the hunt would have continued.

I guess I can ask her to go to Europe with me the last 2 weeks in July and if she says "No", we'll know she's booked. :o

I'm not saying it's going to fall through. Just that we'll get official confirmation then.

For the record, regardless of whether she's cast as Captain Marvel, there's a good chance Brie will be at SDCC anyway to promote Kong: Skull Island. So her mere attendance won't be a sign of anything.

And also, we don't KNOW Marvel will confirm anything there. I mean, yeah, it's a pretty good bet, but so was the Dr. Strange casting in 2014 and then nothing happened there (remember when Joaquin Phoenix had "entered talks" and people were sure they'd announce him at SDCC? Same could happen here...), so at this point I'm not assuming anything.

If Larson's deal is done I believe that Marvel will announce her and the director at comic con, if not I think she is just going to be promoting Skull Island.

If it ain't Brie then Katheryn Winnick gets my full backing.

Last edited:
If Brie attends the SDCC panel for Kong: Skull Island, someone is going to ask her about Captain Marvel. So regardless of whether or not Marvel is going to make the announcement there, if Brie shows up at SDCC for anything we'll at least maybe get some sort of news. I think if she's there at all, she'll definitely get announced as Captain Marvel. Given that they started talking to her in April, I can't see the deal still being negotiated by then. It'll almost certainly have gone through or gone South.

Feige said we'd have news this summer. Seeing as there is no Disney event this year, I bet SDCC will be the time and place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"