Why is everyone slamming TDKR?

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by TheDevilIsMe, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Well-Known Member

Popularity = hyperbolic criticism on the internet.

The Walking Dead is arguably the most popular show on television at the moment but it's routinely ripped to shreds all over the internet. For the record, I really like The Dark Knight Rises and despise the Walking Dead TV adaptation but my point still stands.

2. BustersDogFood

TDKR was as good as a finale fans were going to get considering they didn't want to recast The Joker.

As far as I know, it's the only major super hero movie to complete the character's story. It takes guts as a storyteller. I appreciate that.

3. georgec

georgec Not a hero

Agreed.

4. batfreakforever

batfreakforever A real fan

Nolan understood that as a director you can say what you want about a character then someone else will take over. That's why he did an ending to his story not keep it on going. Other people can do that. He had a chance to do an ending (which had'nt yet been done on film w/batman) and took it.

5. MAKAVELI25

MAKAVELI25 Well-Known Member

:applaud Had to log in just to applaud this post

6. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

I decided to come into this thread just to say...

I watched TDKR again and it's still the best of the trilogy, imo. And yes, this could be a problem as it's my second time in two weeks. I need to get this cast off me and ****ing go to work!

7. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth. Well said.

8. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

*signs cast*

I really do think it gets better and better the more you watch it. I've said for a while that I still think TDK is the "best film" of the trilogy, but I'm leaning more and more towards TDKR being my personal favorite. And I think the only thing holding TDKR back from being as tight as TDK is the IMAX restrictions. I think the overall story is just as intriguing and thought-provoking as TDK's, while being a lot more emotional. It also has the distinct feel of being an epic graphic novel come to life.

I love this movie, blemishes and all. It captivates me from beginning to end, and leaves me feeling fulfilled and inspired at the end.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  9. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

TDKR's flaws get worse on repeat viewings for me. I find myself skipping scenes.

10. Schrute

Schrute Well-Known Member

^The same for me. I also think it gets incredibly boring. The pacing in TDK is great because you know it is all leading to a terrific third act. With TDKR the third act for me is where all my major problems are, so I'm bored throughout the film and know I'm not going to enjoy the rest of the film.

11. BatLobsterRises

I used to skip scenes when watching TDK too, mostly just to watch Joker's scenes. And I watch specific TDKR scenes on youtube quite often, so whenever I actually sit down to watch the movie it's to have the full experience. I make sure to keep my full viewings spaced out though, that applies to both TDK and TDKR. And especially with TDKR since it's a long film. But as long as I go in relatively fresh I'm happy to sit through the whole thing.

12. BCDawg97

BCDawg97 Active Member

I tend to turn off TDK once swat catches the Joker.

I've kicked myself for reading too many reviews of Rises and hearing about all the "flaws" that I never saw the first time. But when I rewatch Rises, thankfull I see it and go, "eh whatever" and still enjoy the hell out of the movie.

13. The Joker

Yeah, I'm the same. A large number of the scenes I skip are Blake centric ones. Even in the climax he's dragging it down with the orphans/bridge scene. ZzzzzzzzzZ.

So basically you just don't watch the final scene with Dent and Gordon's family lol.

14. BCDawg97

BCDawg97 Active Member

Yep, it "drags" down the ending for me. After Batman faces off with the Joker, everything else seems anti-climatic.

15. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

I could actually skip the entire second act, but the scenes with Bruce in the pit are too good to pass up.

16. Anno_Domini

Haha, thanks man! :up:

Yah, I would never be blind to the fact that the general consensus is looking like TDK, TDKR, BB, but to me TDK and TDKR would be switched around personally as I just love the breathtaking ending that TDKR is.

And when talking about the blemishes/flaws of TDKR, I found myself noticing each film's major flaws more and more and still enjoying the trilogy as a whole. After all the talk of TDKR's flaws or what have you, it's funny because I then started to take notice of the flaws in TDK and BB while people kept talking about the flaws in TDKR, lol.

17. BatLobsterRises

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I think they all have their own flaws and strengths, but the whole trilogy is greater than the sum of his parts. The day after I saw the movie my friend and I rated all the movies. Bare in mind, my scores may be slightly changing, but what I told him that day was:

BB- 8.5/10
    TDK- 9.5/10
    TDKR- 9/10
    TDK Trilogy- 10/10

I think I'm gonna have a sliding scale for each of the individual movies, because as I said I'm kind of teetering on the TDK/TDKR thing. But personally, the 10/10 trilogy score will never change because it reflects how I feel about the movies as a whole and how they enhance each other.

Np. :woot:

18. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

I tend to turn off TDKR after the Bane beatdown on Bats. I skip the blake scenes entirely. Only other part I watch is Bane's speech about Dent.

19. Anno_Domini

It's terribly hard for me to give each film a rating nowadays, but if I would just right now give them numbers, it'll be...

TDKR and TDK - 9/10
    BB - 8/10

Basically that's how simply I would have to make it as I find both TDK and TDKR to be leaps and bounds better than BB but even then, BB is still the best CBM origin that has been made to this day. I just enjoyed the other genres TDK and TDKR carried and that's the game changer between those two films and BB. But yah, even if at parts I didn't enjoy in all three films, I could never skip them as they are in the film for a reason even if some or even myself would have changed them up or what have you.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  20. Llama_Shepherd

Llama_Shepherd Well-Known Member

I love this post so much I want to marry it and raise tiny little posts with it.

21. The Joker

Oh yeah the pit scenes were good, but the siege itself was a bore and so pointless.

Yeah once Bruce is tossed in that pit it's downhill from there. Namely when Bane's siege plan kicks in. Selina disappears for ages.

22. BatLobsterRises

I love the cold desolation of the siege and occupation. It just makes you want to see Bruce rise up and take Gotham back that much more. And I really start to enjoy Gordon more during the occupation.

23. AnneFan

AnneFan Hathaway #1

Absolute agree. I like the first half quite a lot. Once Blake finishes his questioning of Selina it drops off. Pacing is an issue. Tightening things up would’ve helped I think.

As said, the pit scenes with Bruce are fine, but they’re withheld too much for my liking as the Gotham siege dominates. Which drags and is dull. I would’ve preferred more consistent time on Bruce, with his scenes closer together. I sort of feel instead of building up and up the Gotham scenario, get on with it.

And yep, Selina is thrown in jail, so the film is without spunk for that portion. Something extra for her would’ve been nice. Perhaps handling scene transitions differently. In prison eating a meal, on her own with the men on the side, on their own. The speakers begin to blurt out Bane’s speech and its on. Or something. And even showing her walking out of jail in the orange jumpsuit looking determined, which there is a publicity still of. I wonder if any footage of that exists?

Also, yes, the orphans/bridge scene gets in the way of what should be a tight, all out final conflict. Would’ve liked to have seen more Batman fighting Bane. There are issues like this, but I do like the movie overall.

24. Anno_Domini

Yah, I enjoyed the spots of the empty and desolated Gotham, especially when there wasn't a lot of time focused on the siege anyways so those moments such as the cars piled up blocking the tunnel or a lone Tumbler driving up the street...it helped, imo.

The scene jump in the finales got worse from TDK to TDKR, imo. I think Nolan should had done something differently as it didn't work with TDK but he didn't, which sucks.

Know what else I would have loved to see? During Talia's reveal and her speech, she mentions how she found Bane which would be another al Ghul finding someone who's meant to come to Gotham to destroy it as much as Ra's wanted Bruce to help in destroying Gotham.

25. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

The other thing I don't like about the Blake interruptions during the climax is that Blake is given one task by Batman and he totally fails at it. So we're seeing proto-Batman here totally suck at his one job...and we have to be shown this during a cool pursuit sequence. It's just all disconnected and disappointing. It's a pretty over-elaborate way to show Blake giving up on being a policeman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.