Why is Thor considered so powerful?

Horrorfan said:
I have read Hulk, and I still say Ultimate would eat 616 up, digest him and crap him out before he's halfway through transformation.
Then you have a remarkable ability to ignore the respective quality of their feats. :)

Actually, there hasn't been much to suggest that Ultimate Hulk is any more or less powerful than 616 Hulk.

Has there been an indication of how strong Ultimate Cap is? Because I got the impression he was around 616 Spider-Man's strength level at the most, and that's not enough to even slow 616 Hulk down.

Fair point. Cap did seem to hurt him somehwat. But then, The Hulk just came back seconds later with the asswhupoligy, so maybe it was more suprise than pain.

Maybe. There's still the point that in the 616 universe, Spider-Man pounded away at the Hulk until his hands bled and the Hulk didn't feel it at all. He would've beaten the crap out of Peter (or killed him, going by today's 616 Hulk standards, I guess) if Peter hadn't mentioned that the Hulk was keeping him from his wife. The Hulk remembered Betty and backed off.

The Question said:
Fair point. Cap did seem to hurt him somehwat. But then, The Hulk just came back seconds later with the asswhupoligy, so maybe it was more suprise than pain.

Well, Thor also broke several bones in Ultimate Hulk, and he just ignored it. so it does seem he can be injured a good deal easier than 616 Hulk (or at least could, Ultimate Hulk may have had a power-up after taking a heavy hit of rads from the bomb)

TheCorpulent1 said:
Has there been an indication of how strong Ultimate Cap is? Because I got the impression he was around 616 Spider-Man's strength level at the most, and that's not enough to even slow 616 Hulk down.
He was originally listed as Class 2 (in Wizard...) but he's done a few things that suggest he may be a bit stronger. Whatever the stat, he's definitely 'superhuman' and not 'peak human'.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Then you have a remarkable ability to ignore the respective quality of their feats. :)

Ultimate Hulk was in close proximity to an atom bomb more or less going off on top of him. That's different to a gamma bomb, which humans have been known to survive blasts of. Ultimate Hulk caused so much destruction and took it hard to the ultimates, when in 616 Spidey and Wolvie have been known to take it to him ON THEIR OWN.

So unless Hulk has gotten stupidly powerful since the last time I read a few years ago (and it is possible) from what I have seen Ultimate would just own.

You're arguing that Ultimate Hulk is more powerful than 616 Hulk, but if 616 Hulk turns out to be more powerful he's "stupidly powerful"? :confused:

Anyway, there are counterpoints to everything you've pointed out. Those are among the worst showings 616 Hulk has; unlike the Ultimate characters, the 616s have been around long enough to have lots of both good and bad showings. 616 Hulk has withstood nuclear weapons (other than the gamma bomb), taken down the Avengers by himself, tbeat Hercules to within an inch of his then-mortal life, severely beaten Gladiator, gotten further than anyone else short of the Celestials in a fight against the Destroyer, etc. His "healing factor" has developed into an adaptation ability, too. He spontaneously generated lungs just before he drowned while walking across an ocean, for example.

I don't see why it's somehow insulting to people to have it pointed out that the Ultimate characters are just pound-for-pound on a lower power scale than the 616s. Ultimate Hulk is probably about as powerful for the Ultimate universe as 616 Hulk is for the 616 universe, which should really be all that matters.

Don't forget that whole punching though Dimensions thing.

Yeah, but that actually was kind of stupid. "Raarr, Hulk so angry that Hulk's muscles miraculously develop ability to tear laws of physics asunder! Raarrr!!" :o

TheCorpulent1 said:
Yeah, but that actually was kind of stupid. "Raarr, Hulk so angry that Hulk's muscles miraculously develop ability to tear laws of physics asunder! Raarrr!!" :o
That my friend is stupidly strong. You proved my point. I didn't even know Hulk did that.Taking on Thor is one kind of strength. Punching through DIMENSIONS? Come on now. And I always found the 'madder hulk gets stronger hulk gets' thing kinda stupid. It's really obviously a plot device instead of any sort of respect for the characters ACTUAL abilities. Oh wow superpowerful guy is here! Make Hulk mad and he can all of a sudden kick his ash!Do you see what I mean or am I not explaining it too well? Basically I think there should be at least some kind of continuity level of power- I know that's hard with comics- but Ult. Hulk's strength hasn't reached preposterous levels like that yet. Also my theory about Cap's strength is that it's from the same serum as what made the Hulk, so I am guessing he is sharing a portion of that type of juice as well.

Punching through dimensions is lame, I agree. But give it some time. I'm sure Ultimate Hulk will have a random instance where his strength becomes ridiculous every now and then. The whole point of the character is to be stronger than literally everybody. That kind of breeds absurd displays of power.

Read the books Horrorfan. 616 Hulk is stronger and more durable than his Ultimate counterpart by a LOT. Hulk has lifted 150 Billion tons of mountain before. Ultimate Hulk couldn't TOUCH that.

If you are trying to argue that Ultimate Hulk is stronger or more durable than 616 Hulk, you can't.

616 Hulk > Ultimate Hulk

Period.

He's considered powerful because of his physiology and history of impressive feats.
And legendary among the god pantheons in marvel. Athena once spoke of him admiringly.

A couple of years ago I read a Black Panther comic in which Thor was knocked out by a bullet. I can't remember the story too well but I do remember having a WTF!? moment. I didn't know much about Thor at the time but I did know that bullets should'nt have any effect (affect?) on him.

TheCorpulent1 said:

The flash has feats just as absurd if we're honest

Guyverjay said:

Every superhero has absurd feats that don't make any sense. Superman clocking at 140,000MPS on Earth without Speed Force protection. Batman and Nightwing taking down Amazo. Nightwing kicking nigh-omnipotent Alex Luthor in the head (a being who, when assaulted by the combined might of Ion and Donna Troy's armada, lost part of a finger).

As to Ultimate v. 616, I am getting really damn tired of hearing 'Ult. Cap beats 616 Cap because he's stronger and meaner!'

Please. Red Skull, anyone? U.S. Agent? How many people has Cap fought and taken down that were stronger and faster and meaner than he was? 616 Cap has even solo'd the Hulk, fer cryin' out loud! Ultimate fanwankers seem to forget that Cap always fights at a disadvantage and nearly always wins in spite of it. Ultimate Cap is about on par with the U.S. Agent in terms of strength, agility, speed, intelligence, and skill. Meaning that 616 Captain America will take him down with very little trouble at all.

Eh?

As far as I am aware, ultimate Cap is supposed to be basically the same as normal Cap with added super strength and a tude. I think you're taking him likely

TheCorpulent1 said:
The you must really hate the fight Hulk had (can't exactly remember against who) when the punches Hulk was giving and taking caused shockwaves that went to other dimensions causing great catastrophes. As a Hulk fan, sure, I like it, but that's even beyond punching through time.

I never read that fight, but yeah, I would've hated that, too. I don't know, I just can't suspend disbelief enough to be ok with normal (albeit enormous) muscles and sinews and tendons and all that inexplicably defying dimensional barriers.
Guyverjay said:
True, but at least he has the Speed Force to explain some of it away. I wouldn't mind if they cut his dimension/time-hopping abilities out of his repertoire, though.

I still say Ultimate could take 616 Hulk (keep in mind superman can't do most of the stuff you said 616 Hulk could, yet he knocked Hulk spark out with one punch....I'm not gonna even mention a normal guy like Batman ko'ing hulk because thats another example of absurdity within a character's abilities).

But who knows? Untill it actually happens (and it probably will eventually)
it's all conjucture (though I still say Cap would eat 616 cap for lunch, but not actually literally this time ;) unless its zombie ultimate cap...hey I got a new idea for a series ;)

Horrorfan said:
I still say Ultimate could take 616 Hulk (keep in mind superman can't do most of the stuff you said 616 Hulk could, yet he knocked Hulk spark out with one punch....I'm not gonna even mention a normal guy like Batman ko'ing hulk because thats another example of absurdity within a character's abilities).

But who knows? Untill it actually happens (and it probably will eventually)
it's all conjucture (though I still say Cap would eat 616 cap for lunch, but not actually literally this time ;) unless its zombie ultimate cap...hey I got a new idea for a series ;)

You fergot to end yer last bracket. An' DC vs. Marvel ain't in continuity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"