Wonder Woman Thread Reborn! - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
And just to clarify things further, this is where I'm coming from:

I've always hoped comics (or at least DC) would move away from the hypersexualization/fetishization of their characters.

Even skewing to a 'Hollywood' reality for their tone would be acceptable.

Cheesecake has to go!

BTW this is what I mean by a 'Hollywoodized" depiction of action heroes/heroines:

gina_carano_mcgregor_haywire_4.jpg

haywire-gina-carano4.jpg

haywire-2012-movie.jpg

17151334870148-gr-18361-560x373.jpg

gi-joe-retaliation-lady-jaye-poster.jpg

fast-five-poster.jpg

reacher21f-3-web.jpg

jennifer-garner-als-sydney-bristow-6815.jpg

The_bride_%28kill_bill%29.JPG

sarah-connor-terminator.jpg

^ Thanks for clarifying Rod!

You're right that it is applicable to the way superheroines have been depicted so far.

My only hope is that some day soon they won't be.

I'm no expert when it comes to understanding the evolution of women and their fight for indepenadnce and freedom to express themselves, but it's something I respect. I just think, what does itall mean for for women today?

The point being though is that superheroines are not going out to a masquerade ball or a date, but instead are out to rescue people or kick butt.

The mode of dress should be more reminiscent of a soldier, firefighter, cop or paramedic.

What anyone does in their downtime (superheroines included) should be reflective of that time or occasion.
You expressed it better than I did. Thank you.

And just to clarify things further, this is where I'm coming from:

Dude, where's my painting set? They are all dressed in dull khakis and greys and dull dull practical dull. Too much reality. That is fine sometimes for superflicks, but if superheroes had been dressed like this from day one, there would have been no more Action comics, and this site would not exist.
This site would be called Armymoviehype, and would be populated by grimmers talking about boots and full of 'How to shave your head yourself if you have no friends because you talk about the army all the time' threads.

Stop it, we like superheroes! lol

Yes, “naked is naked”, but men in our society tend to be sexualized through a certain portrayal of masculinity. The square jaw or other attractive, sharp features, big muscles, the stoic, sometimes aggressive nature, nice clothing, etc.

What are you talking about? There are plenty of sexy photoshoots of men, including actors and athletes, half-naked or entirely naked. Just look at the Hype's Hunk-o-Rama thread. I don't see why models and strippers don't count in a discussion about the sexualization of men, either.

Dude, where's my painting set? They are all dressed in dull khakis and greys and dull dull practical dull. Too much reality. That is fine sometimes for superflicks, but if superheroes had been dressed like this from day one, there would have been no more Action comics, and this site would not exist.
This site would be called Armymoviehype, and would be populated by grimmers talking about boots and 'How to shave your head yourself of you have no friends because you talk about the army all the time' threads.

:D

I didn't mean they need to be exactly like those pics, just skew a little more towards them. In terms of a more functional than fetishized look.

That's all.

What are you talking about? There are plenty of sexy photoshoots of men, including actors and athletes, half-naked or entirely naked. Just look at the Hype's Hunk-o-Rama thread. I don't see why models and strippers don't count in a discussion about the sexualization of men, either.

Exactly!

This site would be called Armymoviehype, and would be populated by grimmers talking about boots and full of 'How to shave your head yourself if you have no friends because you talk about the army all the time' threads.

They may be dressed in things that are black and grey, but they still look like women prepared for a fight. They can have bright colors and excessories, but going out to fight in hot pants and a halter top would be ridiculous.

They may be dressed in things that are black and grey, but they still look like women prepared for a fight. They can have bright colors and excessories, but going out to fight in hot pants and a halter top would be ridiculous.

If you are tough enough, you can spin a hula hoop at the same time, and still look cool. Why are people so scared of the ridiculous? That is part of the fun of superhero yarns. Bright, beautiful, action packed fantasy, with a message of hope to help get us through the tough times.
They have always been this way, and should not be drafted into the practical army fatigues unit because some people think they are 'ridiculous', these ridiculous tales are fast becoming the most watched and anticipated stories in the world.

Last edited:
Wonder Woman's attire and battle skirt should pretty much be in the shape of Xena's suit, or something like it. Xena's costume was respectful to women and badass at the same time.

xena1.jpg

Wonder Woman's attire and battle skirt should pretty much be in the shape of Xena's suit, or something like it. Xena's costume was respectful to women and badass at the same time.

eh, I think there are people on this thread who would disagree, and put it on a par with WW's outfit.
But why do you think WW's outfit is disrespectful to women? That sounds like something that would be said in more unenlightened times. Like, during the time of the Crucible.

xena1.jpg

I agree, and I think even when you look back to what male soldiers were wearing in Sparta and Troy and they look sort of like this and they kind of end up showing the same amount of skin as Wondy's classic design without looking like lingerie. You still get a near-iconic look without having to really worry about the consequences good or bad of putting diana in pants.

I agree, and I think even when you look back to what male soldiers were wearing in Sparta and Troy and they look sort of like this and they kind of end up showing the same amount of skin as Wondy's classic design without looking like lingerie. You still get a near-iconic look without having to really worry about the consequences good or bad of putting diana in pants.

So, a few straps of leather hanging from her waist, with large gaps between them no less, is the difference between one outfit being like 'lingerie' and one not? That, is not a 'skirt' lol.

that xena outfit aint bad, but she will need much more coverage for her upper chest. assuming you want a top actress for the role (the movie i mean). if you're just looking for a hottie of the week, then leather lingerie will do.

If they opt for an A lister and a good director and a big budget I expect something closer to this:

wrath-of-the-titans-09.jpg

different colors of course.

Ok, so you have no problem sounding ridiculous.

I don't think I sound ridiculous. Member jmc made a photomaip awhile back using a Xena/Troy style look for Diana's classic costume and I think it makes a big difference. I would go as far as wanting them to put it into the comics.

that xena outfit aint bad, but she will need much more coverage for her upper chest. assuming you want a top actress for the role (the movie i mean). if you're just looking for a hottie of the week, then leather lingerie will do.

eh, they got an Oscar winner to wear the Catwoman outfit that *did* look like lingerie(at least from the waist up). And before anyone says anything, the outfit was not the reason the movie was average.
I think you guys are trying to look good to the ladies or something, I do not believe you are *this* prudish. you are trying to look like... 'I resspect youuu! I would not dream of wanting to watch you in an outfit where i could possibly imagine the size of your chest! I am a good guyyy!'
You know what ladies like? Guys who speak their minds.
Superheroes dress in fetish type outfits, they always have.

edit: If you prefer the superhero to be more covered up, because you prefer that aesthetic, fine, more power to you, but if you are trying to say other folk are 'bad guys' who 'don't respect women' if they like a somewhat revealing outfit, you are in fact sounding a lot like repressed people who are scared of sexuality, and are perhaps scared of women and the power they can have over men. and you don't sound like you are being honest.

Last edited:
I don't think I sound ridiculous. Member jmc made a photomaip awhile back using a Xena/Troy style look for Diana's classic costume and I think it makes a big difference. I would go as far as wanting them to put it into the comics.

Well, when you say that a few leather straps with large gaps between them hanging from her waist make the difference between 'lingerie' and a 'battle outfit', then yes, you do sound ridiculous, I'm sorry. That is not a skirt, those straps are there for no other reason than to titalate as well, as folk like the fact you can *just* see her legs bare in full as she walks. There is no other reason for those straps.

eh, they got an Oscar winner to wear the Catwoman outfit that *did* look like lingerie(at least from the waist up). And before anyone says anything, the outfit was not the reason the movie was average.
I think you guys are trying to look good to the ladies or something, I do not believe you are *this* prudish. you are trying to look like... 'I resspect youuu! I would not dream of wanting to watch you in an outfit where i could possibly imagine the size of your chest! I am a good guyyy!'
You know what ladies like? Guys who speak their minds.
Superheroes dress in fetish type outfits, they always have.

that outfit was ridiculous and the movie was awful. also as much as i like halle berry, shes not a very good actress. she won the oscar for having sex with Billy Bob Thorton without throwing up. terrible example. sorry.

and its not about prudishness. i personally have no problem with the outfit, but you will never get the likes of Emily Blunt to scamper around like that for two hours. ill happily sacrifice the cleavage for a top shelf actress. plus i like the idea of a practical, classical greek warrior costume. exposing your chest makes no sense for her if she's gonna battle a heavy hitter.

Cap got a fairly radical redesign for his debut movie and the same can be done for Wonder Woman. Its an ADAPTATION. If the movie is good (a huge IF im afraid) the redesigned costume wont mean squat.

Last edited:
Well, when you say that a few leather straps with large gaps between them hanging from her waist make the difference between 'lingerie' and a 'battle outfit', then yes, you do sound ridiculous, I'm sorry. That is not a skirt, those straps are there for no other reason than to titalate as well, as folk like the fact you can *just* see her legs bare in full as she walks. There is no other reason for those straps.

Sorry, I think it looks better and call it what you want it definitely looks different than a pair of panties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"