Apocalypse X-Men Apocalypse News and Discussion - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lawrence and Fassbender are good actors, but I have enough of Mystique and Magneto, they were in all 5 movies. Bring on other villains.

What makes X_Men different if with exception of Loki and Scarecrow villains don't come back.

Let's remember that because the trilogy was erased by time travel we have never had Magneto VS X-men In films now.

What makes X_Men different if with exception of Loki and Scarecrow villains don't come back.

Let's remember that because the trilogy was erased by time travel we have never had Magneto VS X-men In films now.

First of all, Stryker is a reoccurring villain.

Second point isn't entirely correct either. They still left that open. What we don't have is Wolverine and the X-Men as we knew it in the OT. Whether Wolverine joins the X-Men after Apocalypse or not is irrelevant. We don't have the adamantium and Weapons X in the way it was portrayed. We don't have Wolverine and Rogue in X-1 meeting the X-Men because Charles/Hank will have known Wolverine all that time, given his new connection with the X-Men and Mystique in 1973.

However, Magneto could still hatch his plan to convert participants in the UN summit into mutants. You could also have Stryker kidnapping Xavier and hatching his X-2 plot. He just wouldn't have the history he did with Wolverine. Jean could still DIE at Alkali Lake. We can't assume Xavier is omnipresent and will be able to prevent everything. We can also assume the government still tries to weaponize The Cure, or some form of it.

The only way to fully swipe the OT is to ensure Magneto has a complete change in philosophy than that which dictated his methods from the OT, by no longer instigating the war. The perfect way to do this is Age of Apocalypse. Kill off Xavier or have him severely debilitated, have Beast become the leader along with Magneto (albeit temporarily). Magneto can be written out or pursue his own ambitions following the events of Apocalypse.

Age of Apocalypse would be my primary inspiration and a good way to conclude the Xavier/Magneto arc. I don't think they will kill off any of the FC actors however, but it's a perfect way to thematically conclude the story started from FC.

Edit: Well, they couldn't kill Jean/Xavier given the ending in DoFP, assuming Apocalypse is the same timeline as that. But there are still ways to capture AoA thematically without doing that.

Last edited:
Kill off Xavier or have him severely debilitated, have Beast become the leader along with Magneto (albeit temporarily). Magneto can be written out or pursue his own ambitions following the events of Apocalypse.

Can totally see this happening. 2/3 the way in, Xavier is put out of commission somehow(not dead), and Magneto has change of heart and leads X-Men against Apocalypse.

Age of Apocalypse would be my primary inspiration and a good way to conclude the Xavier/Magneto arc. I don't think they will kill off any of the FC actors however, but it's a perfect way to thematically conclude the story started from FC.
I agree 100%.

I'm pretty sure the bookend scene, involving wolverine waking up into a better future is from the same (albeit new as well) timeline that will involve apocalypse having confronted the x men in the 80's, thus meaning that none of the major good x men members will be permanently killed off. The only real mystery now, along with excitement, is seeing on how the characters reached that given point.

Now magneto and mystique on the other hand can be killed off for good without things conflicting with the continuity established with the new future since we didn't see either of them in it.

I'd rather we keep Fassy forever. He's been exceptional and is one of the best casted characters in CBMs and has made it easier to move on from McKellen. He doesn't have to be in every film, but alive so we can bring him when necessary. Fox seems to be very good at scouting out young talent that's on the rise, especially when you look at the casting for the FF film (despite the response it has gotten so far from the fans, Teller, MBJ, Mara and Bell are all quality actors), and I hope they can scoop up some awesome young talent for Apocalypse.

Magneto sacrificing himself to save Homo Everything would definitely erase all remnants of the old timelime. But yeah, don't see them doing that. Mystique on the other hand is a character that is disposable. Maybe she gets killed and Magneto feels his warmongering was responsible. But again, I don't see Magneto permanently being the good guy either. At least I wouldn't want to watch that Magneto if that's the case.

I sort of see X-Force fitting in as perfect contrast to the X-Men and the Brotherhood. They are not necessarily in it to further all of mankind or only mutant kind. They are in it to further their own political agendas and personal desires. These are elements I'd like the franchise to focus on before we get back to X-Men vs Evil films.

Last edited:
Killing Mystique is next to impossible due to her healing and ability to stealth transform so easily. She plays possum constantly.

Killing Mystique is next to impossible due to her healing and ability to stealth transform so easily. She plays possum constantly.

Well i'm pretty sure that cutting her up into two halves or disintegrating her would do it as well.lol

I'm actually curious on where the franchise will go after "Apocalypse".

I mean we've already gotten the (albeit crappy version of it) the Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past involving Sentinels and Dark Timeline....with Apocalypse just right around the corner.

Who and what do you tackle after those things that doesn't end up feeling repetitive or smaller in scale?

I think it's obvious why Fox is keeping the 2018 film under wraps...they don't know what to put there!

They've got so many different irons in the fire now (X-M:A, Deadpool, Wolverine 3, XForce possibly), that Fox is probably waiting to see how audiences react. Things line up well and flow within Fox's cinematic universe, for sure, but the company doesn't really work like Marvel with phases or event pictures. Fox seems to roll with the punches.

The 2018 film could be any of the following:

- FC continuation (with or without Wolverine)
- Original Cast film
- X-Force (sequel/spinoff of Apocalypse and/or Deadpool)
- Exiles (use Blink and cast members, albeit alternate reality versions)
- Gambit solo

One could argue the potential future longevity of the FC or OT cast, but Fox has options now to expand with other teams/new characters.

Surely smaller in scale will be inevitable post-Apocalypse. I don't see how it could get bigger, if what the filmmakers are saying actually ends up on the screen.

Then again, I didn't think Batman could get bigger after TDK and was proven wrong with TDKR, so who knows. Maybe X-Men on a space mission or something?

Last edited:
Surely smaller in scale will be inevitable post-Apocalypse. I don't see how it could get bigger, if what the filmmakers are saying actually ends up on the screen.

Then again, I didn't think Batman could get bigger after TDK and was proven wrong with TDKR, so who knows. Maybe X-Men on a space mission or something? Who knows,

I don't think well see the X-Men in space, but I could see the filmmakers contuining with time travel and, by extension, alternate timelines/realities.

Of course, theres always new powersets being introduced on film, so there's one outlet of differentiation right off the bat.

After DOFP, I think the major money for the franchise will be in the main plotline movies rather than spinoffs. I also think Fox will see that as well. That being said, you can world-build with spinoffs, but the main focus should be on the main X-Men team movies.

Assuming they keep working in trilogies, the next one should focus on young Jean, Cyclops, and Storm.

They could introduce, or at least introduce the idea of, X-Factor in Apocalypse and they could play a role in the next trilogy as well and maybe have their own movie at some point.

Sinister is the next villain they need to go with, so you can possibly do something like an interpretation of Mutant Massacre. Sinister and the Marauders can be good foes for three movies.

That being said, Magneto should not be left out of things. I'd want to see them possibly do a movie that focuses on the relationship between Magneto and his children, and I also think they should have Genosha in the X-Men cinematic universe as well.

I don't think well see the X-Men in space

I don't get why everyone says that.

There are several space stories and Singer would knock your sci-fi socks off with an OT film in space, imo.

Last edited:
I think Fassbender's Magneto can hang around as he was part good guy working alongside Xavier. It's a bit different to Mckellen's who is closer to outright villain and takes away from the actual villain of the story. I'm really excited that we can see some of the other top X-villains in the near future in Apocalypse and hopefully Sinister soon after.

Honestly, after having 3 films where Magneto served as the antagonist/villain for the finale...I really don't want to spend yet another film going through that same process.

There comes a time where something gets really old and while it may work for the comics, I don't think it would for the films.

So either kill him or reform him.

Yes even the very best villains need to be rotated out to give the other great villains a shot. I feel exactly the same about The Joker, Darth Vader, Lex Luthor etc.

Its obvious he's getting reformed.
Which would be ideal. As long as he's not close to being an out and out villain, Magneto from the past can stay as long as he wants. I don't want to see Magneto from the present, as good as Mckellen was, for a fair while.

Lawrence and Fassbender are good actors, but I have enough of Mystique and Magneto, they were in all 5 movies. Bring on other villains.

With villains like Apocalypse and Mr. Sinister still have yet to make a big entrance in the films, I don't think they should give more importance to Mystique and Magneto... well after Apocalypse. They already got their due. So I hope they give them a break.

Focus on X-Men being the X-Men. Then with the villains, you have the horsemen working for Apocalypse, if they introduce Mr. Sinister as a lead villain, they could always bring Marauders with him.

we have never had Magneto VS X-men In films now.

Ummm again no. X-Men fighting with Magneto is never gonna be erased in viewers' mind. Just because they are now in a new timeline, it doesn't mean, the events from the previous films like the original trilogy are already irrelevant. The filmmakers will still consider the events of those films for their upcoming films because they are still part of the series.

Which would be ideal. As long as he's not close to being an out and out villain, Magneto from the past can stay as long as he wants. I don't want to see Magneto from the present, as good as Mckellen was, for a fair while.

Plus, I feel like we kind of got some closure from his last scene in "DOFP" where we saw him finally making amends with Charles within the future.

Even though it's a different timeline, it would feel like almost a waste of a scene/character change to see Ian again as evil Magneto.

If anything, make Michael's Erik more of a anti-hero than villain this time around.

I actually enjoy watching young Charles and Erik interacting with each other when they're on the same page as opposed to seeing them on opposite sides.

Yep, agreed on all that. That is the route to take to make the rest of the FC films really work, especially with super-powerful villains like Apocalypse to deal with.

In both performances, they always remind you he's a product of hatred and torture. He was turned into this and constantly telling the other characters another Holocaust will happen unless they do something to stop it. Something Days of Future Past confirms but for some reason they kept insisting he was wrong even after the fact. Frustratingly so. But that's another topic for another day.

But with McKellen's Erik, he is chillingly as bigoted and evil as the Nazis who wiped out his family. Not a coincidence his suit in the Singer/Ratner films echo that of an SS officer. Only he has a charm and wit to him.

You can get behind Fassbender's Erik though. He's angry, sure. But he's honorable and doesn't mess with anyone unless they do so to him first. Quite rational too. When he tries to kill Raven, he specifically does so "to secure all our futures" - human and mutant. He doesn't like having to do it but he will in a moment's notice if it means preventing anyone for going through what he did as a kid.

But with McKellen's Erik, he is chillingly as bigoted and evil as the Nazis who wiped out his family. Not a coincidence his suit in the Singer/Ratner films echo that of an SS officer. Only he has a charm and wit to him.

You can get behind Fassbender's Erik though. He's angry, sure. But he's honorable and doesn't mess with anyone unless they do so to him first. Quite rational too. When he tries to kill Raven, he specifically does so "to secure all our futures" - human and mutant. He doesn't like having to do it but he will in a moment's notice if it means preventing anyone for going through what he did as a kid.

Agreed on both accounts.

Whether it was intentional or not (though I'm thinking not since I doubt the filmmakers and producers knew way back in 2000 that they would eventually be making their films backwards.lol), the franchise does have a tragic element to it when a viewer looks it from FC and skips directly into the original trilogy to see on how far the main three (Charles, Erik, and Raven) grew away from each other or from their original ideals.

Like you said, Erik eventually became the very entity that destroyed his childhood, while Raven evolved into a ruthless and merciless killer. Even Charles ended up developing somewhat of a bad (or misguided) controlling trait which resulted in the debacle concerning Jean and the Phoenix.

It's only from DOFP we see Raven and Charles at least taking the steps that would turn them away from their original outcomes, which I thought was brilliant.

Plus, given that Erik now has a "child" within the franchise, I want to see on how he ends up adjusting to that new element since he's been a lone wolf since his time in the concentration camps.

I think having Fassbender's Magneto die at the end of the FC films to save both mutants and humans could be a great way to see out this past series of films. It would be a real redemption story, especially if he sees what his future self would be capable of (maybe we need a massive future event to tie this into, the fact he threatened ALL human life in X2 was kind of glossed over).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"