2012 NFL thread: The Place to get Cutler'd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn it. If there's one thing I look forward to at the beginning of every season, it's the Clownboys getting beaten in the final seconds of a primetime game (usually by the Giants). Oh, well. Maybe it's because they were in New York. Usually when they suffer epic losses in primetime, it's in that $500 trillion Death Star in North Texas, and that makes it even more enjoyable.

It's okay though. I know that sooner or later, "America's Team" will lose a game in epic fashion which will spark an epic collapse of epic proportions as they epically fail to make the playoffs once again despite Tony Romo's epic proclamations to the media about how his epic team will one day win the most epic of Super Bowls.

And we'll all be laughing as a sad faced Jerry Jones picks his nose in the owners' box and wonders just why the hell he ever thought he could win with Jason Garrett and Rob Ryan.

Just glad that Football is finally back. Seems like this offseason for some strange reason lasted longer than others past.

Meh, it's just one game & the opening game at that, I wouldn't count Cruz out so soon.

I just saw Cruz's season as a one hit wonder. There's a good chance I'll get proven wrong but I just don't see what's so good about the guy.

Always nice to start the season off with a win. Especially against a division rival on the road. Hopefully they can cut down on the penalties. Sort of expected with the o-line carousel, so hopefully it will get ironed out as the season goes on. So happy football is back.

In as much as I hate to see the Cowboys win a game, I love seeing the Giants lose more

Yeah, my family called & let me know about this. Damn shame, met the guy twice after games at M&T, nice guy. We have him to thank for giving us the Ravens.

My prayers go out to his family.

Heh, it's probably a good thing there aren't any Browns fans on this board.

Heh, it's probably a good thing there aren't any Browns fans on this board.

Heh, I thought about ya when this went up at TWF.

Genesis said:
Yeah my family called & told me about that earlier today. I've actually met the guy 2 times while living in Baltimore & I can say that the guy was very personable. Some people who reach that status tend to shy away, be in a rush to get away from the fans but Art was a legit nice guy, actually took the time to ask me some questions about the team, how long I'd been a fan. Still one of the funniest things I can remember considering how dignified the guy was:

"Ya know what, son? I hate the goddamn Steelers, it's a feeling in the pit of my gut, it's not a choice."

Guy's done so much for the League & the NFL just lost one of the last remnants of a special era. THIS is the man resonsible for representing the owners & getting the NFL slots on television for Sundays & MNF.

I always found it odd that for Baltimore to get a team back they had to put Cleveland through the same crap Robert Irsay did with Baltimore. Thankfully it all worked out and the Browns are back. Having to watch that football team is punishment enough for Cleveland

I always found it odd that for Baltimore to get a team back they had to put Cleveland through the same crap Robert Irsay did with Baltimore. Thankfully it all worked out and the Browns are back. Having to watch that football team is punishment enough for Cleveland

And you'd be hard-pressed to find a single Baltimore football fan who won't curse the name of Robert Irsay and tell you he's rotting in hell. Yet today, they're all in tears over Art Modell.

ESPN fail.
20120907_091344.jpg

From what I recall, Cleveland Browns were allowed to retain their history,while Irsay took everything with him.

Last edited:

Irsay took every remnant of a football franchise with him, he left the proverbial cupboards bare, it was as if there had never been a franchise in Baltimore. Unfortunately it occurred during an era where legal action on that scale was not widely used or endorsed, so it simply went unaccounted for.

To be absolutely honest, Art Modell left Cleavland after the city leaders refused to give the franchise a new deal for a stadium. Now he too attempted to strip Cleavland of any trace of a football legacy but thankfully, the city actually had the temerity AND a better environment which allowed them to sue to keep their colors, history, records, etc. & a promise from the NFL that they would receive a replacement team.

In the end, the Ravens started from scratch as to history, colors, etc. & Cleavland retained all that they were, minus the team itself until it was replaced.

Ironically, it was the Irsay midnight creep in '84 that laid the groundwork for Cleavland to reclaim it's rights to the Browns in '95. The judges deemed the acts & results of Irsay's move to be so detrimental & unfair that the move was mentioned as evidence in the Cleavland move.

The Saints players won their appeal. But it was through internal appeals panel & is not the court ruling

Last edited:
Irsay took every remnant of a football franchise with him, he left the proverbial cupboards bare, it was as if there had never been a franchise in Baltimore. Unfortunately it occurred during an era where legal action on that scale was not widely used or endorsed, so it simply went unaccounted for.

To be absolutely honest, Art Modell left Cleavland after the city leaders refused to give the franchise a new deal for a stadium. Now he too attempted to strip Cleavland of any trace of a football legacy but thankfully, the city actually had the temerity AND a better environment which allowed them to sue to keep their colors, history, records, etc. & a promise from the NFL that they would receive a replacement team.

In the end, the Ravens started from scratch as to history, colors, etc. & Cleavland retained all that they were, minus the team itself until it was replaced.

Ironically, it was the Irsay midnight creep in '84 that laid the groundwork for Cleavland to reclaim it's rights to the Browns in '95. The judges deemed the acts & results of Irsay's move to be so detrimental & unfair that the move was mentioned as evidence in the Cleavland move.
Well, it all worked out. Baltimore has a team, Indy has a team, and Cleveland has a team.

I actually have a question I'm curious about concerning the Ravens. If you had the choice, would you keep the Colts in Baltimore or would you keep things the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"