All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I mighta been a bit optimistic there. 2016 then.

As for the All-Star ending. Imagine how affecting this would be with Henry and Amy and backed by Zimmer's score:

dcmoment85a.jpg

dcmoment85b.jpg

I think Goyer has taken some influence off this.

Every once in a while, I like to come here to express how hyped up I am for this movie. This is one of those times :woot:. I haven't been this excited for a CBM in a long while. As I said before, this looks like it will be the perfect CBM and before anyone brings this up, perfect CBM =/= the best CBM. The perfect CBM means the CBM that has the perfect blend between all the great elements found in CBM's. MOS looks like it will be just that, but me saying that is not the same thing as saying that it will be better than TDK.

However, I am also worried to an extent that it will suck or at least very disappointing compared to what it could be. I was so hyped up for TDKR that I couldn't believe it was written by Nolan and Goyer even weeks after I saw it, and Iron Man 3 has made me lose my trust in marketing and advertising almost completely. Basically, these 2 movies have done things that I thought would be the very last things to ever happen. Due to that, I can't even say that this film will most likely be great. How do we know Zod isn't a Kryptonian actor hired by Faora? Or that Krypton does indeed survive? These things are just as likely as, for example, Mandarin being the official villain in IM3 was.

Think about that for a bit... isn't that essentially a good thing? I mean, I remember that with TDKR, so much of it was hyped, and I remember being on the boards and following it through day in and day out, a lot of the scenes and facts were known and spoiled even before it came out. When it did it wasn't as shocking or moving. Advertisement does take away a lot and with the internet community that's made it harder for films to surprise us, especially CBMs. Now, if you think about what happened with Mandy, that's essentially what the message of the movie was: don't take things at face value. Don't believe so much in the build-up. I think that ruins movies. People expected so damn much from TDKR that now most look down on it despite the fact that as a movie it's still one of the most potent, evocative hero tales you can come across. I love TDKR and I loved IM3 and I loved the fact that both of them were so different. When TDK came out, it was still riding off of BB and half the people were highly skeptical about Heath's Joker and didn't like it. They thought at best it'd be on par with BB if not less so, and that meant another mediocre Batman movie.

Guess what? People got surprised. It was the Batman movie of the decade. It was the Batman film everyone hoped for. Somehow, Man of Steel feels like that for me, but I'm not trying to kill myself with the hype: a lot of the beats will be rehashes from Donner and I'll have to keep an open mind for that.

Expectations often kill the reality in front of us, and we always love being surprised no matter how much we say we don't. It's how I started falling in love with Anime.

Didn't Nolan said it himself?

I seem to recall an interview with him saying something about how Snyder is the one who should get all the credit and how little involvement he had.

Well knowing as how modest he usually is, people just wouldn't upright believe him.

this movie will be good...because it's the first one.
The second one will make stupid, crazy money
The third one will disappoint you

Haha. Again, what I said to the previous post that we're both responding to. People are surprised in the first one. They'd crowd for the second. They'd get disappointed by the third only because of the hype. TA2 is gonna be difficult to deliver.

Yeah this is all Snyder's direction. It still kinda saddens me that there will be people who will bash Snyder if MoS fails but will probably praise only Nolan if MoS does really well.

I hope that isn't the case but who am i kidding? At the end of the day, if people do that they deserve to get corrected...

...with a kryptonite krystal up their bottom.

Hey something funny, that piece of footage I saw years ago (couldn't recall where) but glad to see it youtubed.

The title "Superman: Man of Steel 2013 Preview" misled me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-_s3uNm0wA

You'll never get it anywhere else.:woot:

I really REALLY hope Gatsby will be one of the few films i disagree with the majority of the critics on, but 38%...ouch. How bad could it be, the trailers were fantastic and the book is amazing.

That's why they made Robert Redford's Great Gatsby for.

I hope that WB doesnt underpay their stars as Marvel has done. Marvel has so many stars that have left or dislike being there.

dang Gatsby is at 38% on RT (26R) 27% Top Critic. now we know why Gatsby was pushed back. lol.
if MOS does this, chaos will insue, and everyone loses their minds.
You mean does this, again, right? :woot:

Just imagine if we'd seen the movie back in December...

Think about that for a bit... isn't that essentially a good thing? I mean, I remember that with TDKR, so much of it was hyped, and I remember being on the boards and following it through day in and day out, a lot of the scenes and facts were known and spoiled even before it came out. When it did it wasn't as shocking or moving. Advertisement does take away a lot and with the internet community that's made it harder for films to surprise us, especially CBMs. Now, if you think about what happened with Mandy, that's essentially what the message of the movie was: don't take things at face value. Don't believe so much in the build-up. I think that ruins movies. People expected so damn much from TDKR that now most look down on it despite the fact that as a movie it's still one of the most potent, evocative hero tales you can come across. I love TDKR and I loved IM3 and I loved the fact that both of them were so different. When TDK came out, it was still riding off of BB and half the people were highly skeptical about Heath's Joker and didn't like it. They thought at best it'd be on par with BB if not less so, and that meant another mediocre Batman movie.

Guess what? People got surprised. It was the Batman movie of the decade. It was the Batman film everyone hoped for. Somehow, Man of Steel feels like that for me, but I'm not trying to kill myself with the hype: a lot of the beats will be rehashes from Donner and I'll have to keep an open mind for that.

Expectations often kill the reality in front of us, and we always love being surprised no matter how much we say we don't. It's how I started falling in love with Anime.

So much truth in this post. :up:

And yeah, bottom line is this movie wouldn't have been made if not for the success of The Dark Knight Trilogy. It will owe a lot to Nolan's success and clout at WB for its mere existence. Creatively it's Snyder and Goyer's baby with a touch of Nolan(s). After all, Goyer originally pitched it to Chris as, "this is what I think your version of a Superman movie would be".

So it's entire inception was born of the working formula that they had established together on the Batman franchise.

Last edited:
Yeah I mighta been a bit optimistic there. 2016 then.

As for the All-Star ending. Imagine how affecting this would be with Henry and Amy and backed by Zimmer's score:

dcmoment85a.jpg

dcmoment85b.jpg

Oh yeah, I remember crying while I read this, HEY! maybe that Superman/Lois kiss was influenced a little by this, you can see smoke and destruction behind them in the CC trailer and it's kind of similar to the kiss here. Maybe they both think he won't make it or something.

And they Superman flies away growling and pushing his limits

tumblr_mme38bbymV1qbmi16o3_500.gif

Yes, things will never be judged on their own merit. Things are always compared to each other. I think characters and tone could be compared, but not how much 'better' they are from each other, although if that is spoken about, its subjective. Some people don't get that you cannot be objective about how much 'better' one movie is than the other. Tone, writing, cinematography and acting can be analysed and compared, but not really the whole thing.

Objectiviely, I think MoS is going to have the same tone as Batman Begins, but I think it might be as iconic as The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2.

Oh yeah, I remember crying while I read this, HEY! maybe that Superman/Lois kiss was influenced a little by this, you can see smoke and destruction behind them in the CC trailer and it's kind of similar to the kiss here. Maybe they both think he won't make it or something.

And they Superman flies away growling and pushing his limits

tumblr_mme38bbymV1qbmi16o3_500.gif

That scenes gonna be epic :up: that gravity beam is really pushing against him

I really REALLY hope Gatsby will be one of the few films i disagree with the majority of the critics on, but 38%...ouch. How bad could it be, the trailers were fantastic and the book is amazing.

Well, Luhrman's style is very polarizing. Personally I'm still looking forward to it, though a bit more cautiously.

thinking about taking my 6 and a half year old to see this movie. He really wants to go. hate to turn him down, just hope its not anywhere near as dark and dreary as TDK/TDKR. I remember watching Superman:TM when I was 6 or 7 (in 1991) and would be awesome if he got too as well on Fathers Day. (His present to me he says)

That scenes gonna be epic :up: that gravity beam is really pushing against him

Yeah, seriously, that scene. If played right it's gonna be immensely powerful. Superman risking his life and pushing his limits to save his adoptive planet from the evils of his home planet. That scream says it all really, it's not a simple feat for him.

Yeah, seriously, that scene. If played right it's gonna be immensely powerful. Superman risking his life and pushing his limits to save his adoptive planet from the evils of his home planet. That scream says it all really, it's not a simple feat for him.
Definitely all about the execution...since that's basically what Superman did in SR.

thinking about taking my 6 and a half year old to see this movie. He really wants to go. hate to turn him down, just hope its not anywhere near as dark and dreary as TDK/TDKR. I remember watching Superman:TM when I was 6 or 7 (in 1991) and would be awesome if he got too as well on Fathers Day. (His present to me he says)

It wont be, Goyer and Cavill have already confirmed it wont be dark.

Hard to believe this movie is coming out next month. I have been waiting for this forever.

Does anyone know how much the WALMART MOS tickets will cost ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"