BvS All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - Part 77

Status
Not open for further replies.
or... GL or MM. Who knows? There is nothing official yet, just guessing.
No you haven't seen the news, I'd post the video but it's from CBM.

The Rock confirmed he's playing Shazam or Black Adam... Probably Shazam though.

You can find the link on comic book movie

No you haven't seen the news, I'd post the video but it's from CBM.

The Rock confirmed he's playing Shazam or Black Adam... Probably Shazam though.

You can find the link on comic book movie

Really? Sweet, I will check it out.

As a child of the 90s, i watched Batman and Robin almost every day. As a kid, Robin was my favorite, and I loved the more lighthearted movies like Batman Forever and Batman and Robin.
Idk though, IMO pretty much all the Batman movies are good, and i can rewatch all of them whenever.

same, I would watch the movies when I got home from school until Batman TAS would start on Toonami, ah the good ol days.

Oh he still goes by Captain Marvel as far as I'm concerned.

"But the New 52"

But who? Never heard of it. :o
Hahaha yeah I don't blame you. I still associate the character with that name too, but Billy Batson will be Shazam from now on, and Ms Marvel will be the movie version of Captain Marvel

Batman and Robin has more replay value for me than The Dark Knight Rises, I can say that much

The only Batman film I have watched more than any other is Batman 89. I think its because that for me is the closest thing to a comic book version of Batman. And it holds up pretty well.

The only Batman film I have watched more than any other is Batman 89. I think its because that for me is the closest thing to a comic book version of Batman. And it holds up pretty well.

I think you misspelled Mask of the Phantasm wrong. :o

Was just watching it a couple nights ago actually, it definitely hold up very well for me.

All the batfilms pre-nolan get a pass from me just for nostalgia purposes alone.

Sweet. Hot Toys will previewing a brand new Batman Arkham City figure at CC!

I'm at work so I admittedly can't look into this myself right now, but how exactly did DC lose out on the name "Captain Marvel," as far as copyrights are concerned?

Hasn't their Captain Marvel been around for a longer time than Marvel's?

Sideshow will have the full reveal of the Power Girl Premium Format Figure at CC too!

That last line sell it. There are not a lot of dc super heroes characters that appear when "they" "just say the word" :cwink:

I'm going to remain skeptical until WB/DC give us undeniable confirmation

I'm at work so I admittedly can't look into this myself right now, but how exactly did DC lose out on the name "Captain Marvel," as far as copyrights are concerned?

Even I'm not sure (and I don't think they ever lost the rights)...all I know is Geoff Johns is the cause of it and that alone makes me frustrated.

prVDPna.jpg

Superman

7LFxFsP.jpg

Batman

KwUkqSM.jpg

Wonder Woman

N76OO7Q.jpg

Shazam

BdBCJR8.jpg

Aquaman

So6nPsM.jpg

Cyborg

:up:

I'm expecting a Flash announcement, but who knows... maybe our Justice League is: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Cyborg, and Aquaman, with no Green Lantern for now...

That's 7 members already...

When DC bought Fawcett, they didn't release the "Captain Marvel" comic for quite some time which caused rights to lapse. That caused Marvel to release a "Captain Marvel" comic for title copyright purposes. Which is why DC could call the character "Captain Marvel" but could not title the book with that name.

Some further details

The character was originally created in 1940 for the long-defunct publisher Fawcett Comics, who ceased publication of their Captain Marvel in the early 50s under legal pressure from DC Comics, who claimed the character infringed on Superman. In 1967, while that Captain Marvel was still in publishing limbo, Marvel Comics created their own character with the name of “Captain Marvel,” and trademarked it. So when DC eventually gained the rights to publish former rival Fawcett’s Captain Marvel, they couldn’t call him that on the covers of any books featuring him.
Instead DC has focused on “Shazam,” which is both the name of the ancient wizard who granted young orphan Billy Batson the magical ability to transform into the Superman-like Captain Marvel and the magic word by which the transformation is affected. So DC’s 1970s revival was titled simply Shazam!, and over the years we’ve seen books entitled The Power of Shazam, Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil, The Trials of Shazam, Billy Batson and The Magic of Shazam and now, of course, Johns and Frank’s upcoming Curse of Shazam.

Was just watching it a couple nights ago actually, it definitely hold up very well for me.

All the batfilms pre-nolan get a pass from me just for nostalgia purposes alone.

Have you ever seen the Batman costume/bat-mobile from those films in person? It was pretty amazing to see! But yeah, Batman 89 is a fun movie. Most of it holds up well, some of the elements feel a little overlong, like the whole Prince Bat-dance stuff. And some of Jack as the Joker could have been trimmed a little.

The word being Shazam. I get it... how clever da rock is :o

That make it almost too obvious. But there are not a lot of dc characters than can go toes to toes with superman too :o

When DC bought Fawcett, they didn't release the "Captain Marvel" comic for quite some time which caused rights to lapse. That caused Marvel to release a "Captain Marvel" comic for title copyright purposes. Which is why DC could call the character "Captain Marvel" but could not title the book with that name.

Some further details
Is the same true in regards to film rights?

As in, WB can have the character named/called Captain Marvel in the film, but they cannot title it "Captain Marvel?"

Then I guess you don't know who Captain Marvel is? :huh:

I'm about to put you on ignore. I missed the part at the end where he said to speak the word. :rolleyes: Therefore I must not have heard of the character.................. That's Kane logic right there.

Have you ever seen the Batman costume/bat-mobile from those films in person? It was pretty amazing to see! But yeah, Batman 89 is a fun movie. Most of it holds up well, some of the elements feel a little overlong, like the whole Prince Bat-dance stuff. And some of Jack as the Joker could have been trimmed a little.

I've seen the batmobile, but never the suit in person. I really want to visit the batman exhibit that just opened though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"