Arrow Arrow Season 3: Episode 9 "The Climb" - General Discussion

Outside of how much in slow motion it seemed to be, I don't get the gripes with the Thea fight. I don't think Oliver made a single offensive strike. He wasn't trying to take her down. Her leaping off the side of the building was ridiculous though. ...she should have done a flip off the side. :o

That's Roy's MO

Also, Malcolm has to die... like a lot.

He does but he doesn't. Malcolm's plan was perfect. I want him to stay and come up with something even better.

I'm bumbed by this show, we've got a Batman show without Batman and a Batman show with Green Arrow. How badass would it have been to see Bruce WIN from Ras!

Also Malcolms plan was dumb, why wouldn't Ras accept that it was Malcolm who murdered her with mindcontrolling Thea?

But every time you put him against a major threat he gets his ass handed to him. The only victory he had with a major foe was with slade After he took the serum away. Merlin owned him twice, Slade with serum mopped the floor with him, Ras literally kills him. He looks sloppier this season for sure, when he started the show he seemed more trained and lethal, but i think the most annoying factor for me are that Roy in a year is almost at his level, now laurel will start using a suit as well, and Thea dont get me started. In 9 months shes is flipping and kicking and jumping out of balcony's, give me a break.

Oliver defeated Merlyn in the Season 1 finale, almost killed him if it wasn't because Malcolm seems to have some Lazarus Pit. And mirakuru Slade would mop the floor with anyone, so? They have shown Roy and Thea are not near his level, what is silly, is how anyone can become a great fighter or archer in six months. But since these producers (Berlanti and Guggenheim) wrote the Green Lantern movie thinking big head Hammond and cloudlax were great ideas, we can't really expect the best writing from them.

Flash seems to have started up with all of the momentum Arrow had in season two. It's really highlighting the weaknesses of Arrow at the moment -- as far as I'm concerned Flash is having the best first season for a comics show since Batman '66.

Since Batman '66? LOL

What's next, that Batman and Robin was a great movie too?

The Flash is good, but very flawed: the way Barry is dumb down when is convenient to the plot, Iris as a character, their relationship, forced love triangle, Eddie not very interesting so far, lame freaks of the week, etc.

The first Flash show (1990) and Smallville are way better than Batman '66, unless you prefer silly, campy superhero shows. :word:

THE CW | Arrow (3 mil/1.9) dropped 23 and 29 percent from last week’s boffo crossover numbers; The 100 (1.7 mil/0.6) was steady.

Good ratings though didn't tick up like The Flash managed to do.

I for one am enjoying this season more then S1/2 so im happy.

I have a hard time being convinced about the fight between Arrow and Thea.

I assumed that Thea’s fighting skills weren’t quite up to scratch yet… and Ollie wasn’t going to beat the snot out his own sister.

Ok, this part is not really fair. It's his sister.

:up: :word:

...Why the hell would you encourage your only remaining daughter, to go after some killer, basically with no help whatsoever. As far as her mother knows, Laurel is just a simple Lawyer... encouraging her to go on a quest for vengeance, and to make the responsible person suffer.
Not just a lawyer, a DA. So Mom might be thinking death penalty (on the books in Starling City, apparently). Or, Laurel might “encourage” the police to arrest the prime suspect with “extreme prejudice.” :cwink: I think there’s enough ambiguity and wiggle room to justify the dialogue.

...Since Batman '66? LOL

The Flash is good, but very flawed: the way Barry is dumb down when is convenient to the plot, Iris as a character, their relationship, forced love triangle, Eddie not very interesting so far, lame freaks of the week, etc.

The first Flash show (1990) and Smallville are way better than Batman '66, unless you prefer silly, campy superhero shows. :word:

I wish I was as in love with The Flash as everyone else is, but I just don't think it's that great. Most of the villains are terrible, the acting ranges from okay to cringeworthy (with only three exceptions), and the writing is subpar. They have only produced two legitimately good episodes in their nine episode run, and I imagine that'll be the pattern going forward.

EDIT:
I assumed that Thea’s fighting skills weren’t quite up to scratch yet… and Ollie wasn’t going to beat the snot out his own sister.

The choreography was terrible, the punches looked soft, and it was filmed awkwardly. They could've done better than that.

Last edited:
Oliver defeated Merlyn in the Season 1 finale, almost killed him if it wasn't because Malcolm seems to have some Lazarus Pit. And mirakuru Slade would mop the floor with anyone, so? They have shown Roy and Thea are not near his level, what is silly, is how anyone can become a great fighter or archer in six months. But since these producers (Berlanti and Guggenheim) wrote the Green Lantern movie thinking big head Hammond and cloudlax were great ideas, we can't really expect the best writing from them.

Since Batman '66? LOL

Oliver won by stabbing himself .He almost killed himself as well so i shouldn't call it a victory, he was on hes knees begin strangled , i don't see much of an upper hand there. Full serum Slade has gone against batman , and other Robins and lost, he is beatable at full strength with the proper tactics.

And no mocking of batman 66 please, that show rules to this day. I like some camp in my heroes. I hate them begin dark and broody all day

I'm bumbed by this show, we've got a Batman show without Batman and a Batman show with Green Arrow. How badass would it have been to see Bruce WIN from Ras!

Also Malcolms plan was dumb, why wouldn't Ras accept that it was Malcolm who murdered her with mindcontrolling Thea?

Bruce can be defeated by Ra's, is only logical, Ra's is much more experienced. This Batgod thing is just dumb, bad, lazy writing, Nolan avoided it and hopefully Snyder will too.

On Malcolm, his plan is smart because Oliver will do anything to protect Thea, that's the key, he can't trust the LOA 100% to leave her alone just like that.

Not just a lawyer, a DA. So Mom might be thinking death penalty (on the books in Starling City, apparently). Or, Laurel might “encourage” the police to arrest the prime suspect with “extreme prejudice.” :cwink: I think there’s enough ambiguity and wiggle room to justify the dialogue.

No man, b**ch had crazy. She wants Laurel to eat his liver. No ambiguity there. :o

I wonder if Malcolm wants his slate cleaned with the League so that he can use The Pit & bring back his dead wife & Tommy somehow

Oliver won by stabbing himself .He almost killed himself as well so i shouldn't call it a victory, he was on hes knees begin strangled , i don't see much of an upper hand there. Full serum Slade has gone against batman , and other Robins and lost, he is beatable at full strength with the proper tactics.

And no mocking of batman 66 please, that show rules to this day. I like some camp in my heroes. I hate them begin dark and broody all day

Like I said, the comics are laughable with this Batgod nonsense, anyone with superspeed could kill Batman in a second, to pretend he can defeat all these powerful gods is just a childish fantasy from some writers.

Well, The Incredible Hulk was a better show too despite broody Banner. :woot: ;)

EDIT:

The choreography was terrible, the punches looked soft, and it was filmed awkwardly. They could've done better than that.

You might be right; I’ve only watched the episode once and don't recall many details. But with one fighter not being especially accomplished and the other determined not to land a blow, I wasn’t expecting a spectacularly choreographed fight.

I wonder if Malcolm wants his slate cleaned with the League so that he can use The Pit & bring back his dead wife & Tommy somehow

It's far too late for that. His wife is dust is Tommy is worm food.

You might be right; I’ve only watched the episode once and don't recall many details. But with one fighter not being especially accomplished and the other determined not to land a blow, I wasn’t expecting a spectacularly choreographed fight.

It doesn't have to well choreographed in the traditional sense (i.e. what you typically see from accomplished fighters in this universe); it just has to look good and/or believable. That fight didn't, and I suspect it's (at least partially) because of Willa Holland. She looked just as silly sparring with Malcolm in "Corto Maltese."

Hopefully not, it would cheapen the whole series if they start bringing everybody back, besides, can the Lazarus Pit resurrect skeletons? It seems too much seeing how they want to keep things "with the show":

We've seen Ra's coming out of his tub. Is there a way to do the Lazarus Pit on Arrow or is that little bit of fanservice all we'll get without breaking the show?

Marc Guggenheim: Well, let me answer the question specifically, which is I think there's a way to do it. That's not necessarily to say that we will do it but yes, I think there's a way to do it that's in keeping with the show, but that's a far cry from me saying "Yes, we're going to do it."

http://comicbook.com/2014/12/10/arrows-marc-guggenheim-on-tonights-midseason-finale-everyone-is-/

I really hope they get out of this "keeping it grounded in reality" funk. Its working good so far but the show can go so much further. They had superhuman thugs and a speedster already. Let it go and have fun with the show.

The end where Oliver battled Ra's results in Oliver's death as well as freeing Malcolm and Thea from the sins with the League of Assassins was epic. It may be more than that as maybe Oliver can be free of the things he has done as well.
Unless I interpreted it wrong, I think Ollie had to beat Ra's in order to get a clean slate. So Malcolm is still a target.

his little sister who must weight 100 pounds put up a fight with him.
Her attacks didn't even phase him. His shock was that she had been trained to fight.

well
Bruce joined when his parents were killed
Liam Neeson Ra's joined when his family was killed.

The League of Assassins/Shadows "Come see us when your people die."
That's actually the sign hanging above their doorway.

But every time you put him against a major threat he gets his ass handed to him. The only victory he had with a major foe was with slade After he took the serum away. Merlin owned him twice, Slade with serum mopped the floor with him, Ras literally kills him. He looks sloppier this season for sure, when he started the show he seemed more trained and lethal,
If Ollie could beat anyone, it would be a boring show. He should definitely struggle with people more experienced than him. As someone pointed out, Ollie was taking down common thugs, mafia, etc. Any time there was someone with training, he struggled.

but i think the most annoying factor for me are that Roy in a year is almost at his level, now laurel will start using a suit as well, and Thea dont get me started. In 9 months shes is flipping and kicking and jumping out of balcony's, give me a break.
Roy isn't even close to Ollie's level. They've already shown that on multiple occasions how he is not there. Thea has training with Malcolm nearly non-stop, she better be able to fight. Again, Malcolm let her win in their duel and she didn't even phase Ollie even when she landed a few blows.

If you have ever taken any form of martial arts, you can learn even with a few hours a week of training. Imagine someone who trains hours a day, nearly everyday. They should be able to do more.

It took Ollie 5 years to be at the level that he is and this guys are hanging around with him in less than a year? for me it cheapens all that he had to go through. The only one i could buy is Diggle cause he actually is a trained soldier and he is like hes driver or philologist most of the time.
Again, they've shown on multiple times Roy isn't at that level.

I know how they'll revive Oliver.

They'll have Supergirl punch a hole into the timestream

I know how they'll revive Oliver.

They'll have Supergirl punch a hole into the timestream

Or flash goes back in time

flashpoint-five-5-running-through-time-universe-collapse.jpg

I think some are blowing the "Mama Lance is psychic" thing outta proportion.We already know Quinton's character traits.He doesn't want to know who Arrow is,despite it being right in front of him.It's not uncommon for a recovering alcoholic to be "oblivious" to some painful fact for fear it might lead them back to the bottle.

And Mama was also consistent in character as the empathetic one in the family,she could tell Laurel was hurting.I don't see her telling Laurel "make them suffer" tantamount to saying "put on a black costume with a lot of belt buckles and beat them senseless." It's coming from an understandable place.Having your child killed would elicit that reaction.

Adjusted up to 1.1 in the demo

And Mama was also consistent in character as the empathetic one in the family,she could tell Laurel was hurting.

Who wouldn't be able to tell? I wish Laurel's reaction would have been a little less obvious. It only makes Quentin look like a complete idiot, that he can't tell that Laurel is almost crumbling to the ground, at the mention of Sara.

I don't see her telling Laurel "make them suffer" tantamount to saying "put on a black costume with a lot of belt buckles and beat them senseless." It's coming from an understandable place.Having your child killed would elicit that reaction.

Of course not. After all, she doesn't know about her daughter's recent hobby. But it makes me wonder why she expects Laurel to do on her own. She doesn't know that her daughter has connections to at least 3 vigilantes now, Papa Lance doesn't know what happened, it's basically Laurel on her own going after a killer. I wish Mama Lance would have at least asked what happened. So she at least knows she doesn't send her daughter after some crazy chainsaw killer.

And Mama was also consistent in character as the empathetic one in the family,she could tell Laurel was hurting.I don't see her telling Laurel "make them suffer" tantamount to saying "put on a black costume with a lot of belt buckles and beat them senseless." It's coming from an understandable place.Having your child killed would elicit that reaction.

Yeah, make them suffer sweety! :argh:

:oldrazz:

Joking aside, how Dinah expects Laurel to make them "suffer"? Torture? With a "make them pay" would've been more than enough, it was unnecessarily overdramatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"