Arrow Arrow Season 3: Episode 9 "The Climb" - General Discussion

I hated the olicity stuff. I'm really disliking how they've bent over for olicity shippers. I hope she dies by the end of the season.

Unless I interpreted it wrong, I think Ollie had to beat Ra's in order to get a clean slate. So Malcolm is still a target.

Yeah, as stated, Ra's death erases all blood debts during his reign. That being said, any debt for Ta-er al-Sahfer has been paid.

Her attacks didn't even phase him. His shock was that she had been trained to fight.

Yeah, I saw blocking and that was it. If anything, I think Thea ran so quickly because she knew she was losing that fight badly.

Roy isn't even close to Ollie's level. They've already shown that on multiple occasions how he is not there. Thea has training with Malcolm nearly non-stop, she better be able to fight. Again, Malcolm let her win in their duel and she didn't even phase Ollie even when she landed a few blows.

Yeah. Roy is clearly better than when he started (and they attempted to show initial "street toughness" skills as well), but he hasn't really done anything extraordinary. Even people complaining about his fighting Mirakuru soldiers really need to look again. He shot people with a bow from about three feet. That's not exactly very difficult. He also had an army of League of Assassin members backing him up.

I'm bumbed by this show, we've got a Batman show without Batman and a Batman show with Green Arrow. How badass would it have been to see Bruce WIN from Ras!

Also Malcolms plan was dumb, why wouldn't Ras accept that it was Malcolm who murdered her with mindcontrolling Thea?

Yeah his plan was dumb. I would imagine Ras would still kill him on sight and if Thea learned the truth. She'd probably kill Malcolm herself. I would in her shoes.

A decent writer could create a different antagonist every month. He doesn't have to face legitimate supervillains every issue. There are also issues that could explore his love life, psychology, emotional state, relationships with other characters, etc.
I'd say it's this & the fact the green was know to deal with social issue like racism (he was DC's voice for that while marvel had the X- Men and spidey & other heroes like Luck cage & iron fist deal with that.) the fact they made character's like cupid a reverse rapist. (she raped males ) yeah it's messed up.

they had characters like Toy Maker an enemy. The fact Roy & his daughter is related to Vandal savage(ancestor) the other major immortal threat to the DCU, who wanted their organ's to help keep him alive & healthy as part of his immortality process that's the reason he had a comic. on occasion he'd have some villain's that written to be really sick & that rival joker or just plain dangerous as Ra's in Vandal. he death with social in justice . He fought for the little man. most of his reader were really old people people that were into boxing as a sport(remember Ollie didn't have martial arts skill's tile the crisis /new 52 came about everyone else did & left him in the dust there ) but they were loyal.

Last edited:
Batman doesnt exist in the CWverse.Ollie is the Batman of the Cwverse.

The future newspaper from Flash confirmed that Waynetech exists in the CWverse. That suggests that at most Bruce Wayne exists and at the very least the Wayne family exists.

Yeah his plan was dumb. I would imagine Ras would still kill him on sight and if Thea learned the truth. She'd probably kill Malcolm herself. I would in her shoes.
I think until that video of her is destroyed it's best for thea to be put in hiding In an Argus save house sedated too . sso she wo't save Merlin cause it's obvious she'll die with that mistake.

Oh and Roy should show her what her dad did to her first if they have the video befor hand via that cell. Let the league have Malcolm. the rule was Ollie had to win for them not to come after Malcolm or who ever killed Sara.

now that Ollie is presumed dead by the LOA they will come after Malcolm to clean up. Thea shouldn't be any way near him. Malcolm can take care of him self.He had Ollie killed off he can take care of the other assassins while he's on the run as always.

Last edited:
Since Batman '66? LOL

What's next, that Batman and Robin was a great movie too?

The Flash is good, but very flawed: the way Barry is dumb down when is convenient to the plot, Iris as a character, their relationship, forced love triangle, Eddie not very interesting so far, lame freaks of the week, etc.

The first Flash show (1990) and Smallville are way better than Batman '66, unless you prefer silly, campy superhero shows. :word:
Smallville, at least to me, is completely unwatchable. It's like the most cringe-inducing teen drama scenes in Arrow, except that's pretty much the whole show.

As far as camp goes... there's good camp and there's bad camp. Batman '66 is an example of the former, Batman and Robin is an example of the latter. The difference is that Batman and Robin doesn't go far enough with it; it tries to balance the campy and the serious aspects of Batman and it fails spectacularly. Same with Gotham. Batman '66 understands entirely what it wants to be, and because of that it goes full force with the camp. Batman '66 accomplishes what it sets out to do much, much better than Smallville, even if their end goals are different.

And I'm actually a fan of the 90s Flash show, but it's also got a bit of an identity crisis. It's clearly heavily influenced by Burton's Batman, but it still has a bit of that cheesy early 90s humor. And it also tries to blend the characters of Barry and Wally with varying success.

Since Batman '66? LOL

What's next, that Batman and Robin was a great movie too?

The Flash is good, but very flawed: the way Barry is dumb down when is convenient to the plot, Iris as a character, their relationship, forced love triangle, Eddie not very interesting so far, lame freaks of the week, etc.

The first Flash show (1990) and Smallville are way better than Batman '66, unless you prefer silly, campy superhero shows. :word:

For my money you get better Superhero based shows in cartoon format then live action more often then not(I thought the 90s was the peak with Xmen, Spiderman, Batman and Superman animated series). In general I find all live action superhero based shows flawed to a certain extent, mainly because they have to appeal to a wider demographic plus budgets(although trying to appeal to a wider demographic to me is generally the bigger problem because I do think their is other ways they can write themselves out of budget issues beyond going for romantic drama).

I am on the side a little camp never hurts in live action format

Last edited:
I haven't read through this whole thread but I just wanted to know if there's any discussion on this episode or if it's just you all whining about what you don't like about the series and or other DC shows currently airing?

I haven't read through this whole thread but I just wanted to know if there's any discussion on this episode or if it's just you all whining about what you don't like about the series and or other DC shows currently airing?

There's talk about the episode

One thing that felt odd was how they portrayed Maseo in this episode, during the present day scenes.

I mean for like 90% of his scenes in the Present, it looks as though he doesn't care about Oliver anymore and would have no qualms about killing him in a instant if Ra's allowed it, but then near the end of the episode, you suddenly have the dude expressing concern for Oliver. It didn't make sense for me.

The future newspaper from Flash confirmed that Waynetech exists in the CWverse. That suggests that at most Bruce Wayne exists and at the very least the Wayne family exists.

In the CWverse we already have Bludhaven, Ra's Al Ghul and the League, Harley Quinn and Waynetech. Batman is out there somewhere, but he's probably a loner.

That fight was probably one of the best ones the show has done. It didn't feel stagey or soft. Definitely much more cinematic.

You know, as much I enjoyed this episode, I feel like it backtracked everything they tried to establish in "The Magician".

They made it such a big point of Oliver believing that Malcom's hands were clean of Sara's blood that he went as far as declaring (albeit inadvertently) war on the LOA in order to protect Malcom from their wrath.

Then you have Ra's saying in that episode that he didn't see Sara as one of their own and that he only wanted to punish Malcom for his other sins.

And yet we have this episode where Oliver easily (and rightfully so this time) believes that Malcom was behind Sara's death now after thinking that he was being framed by him, while you have Ra's and the LOA saying that they were going to unleash hell upon Starling City simply because they wanted Sara's killer was brought to justice.

This is the exact same problem that they had at the end of last season, where they devoted time and energy into supposedly giving Sara an arc where we saw on how she had to transition from being an former assassin to a heroine in her own right, only for her to go back to the LOA with open arms.

We got an idea of where Starling City is located. Looked like it was in the Mid-West by the map.

Yeah I liked the fight.

It's too bad they had to use a stunt double Ra's for 95% of the fight. They let too many face shots of the double get through, it was really obvious Nable wasn't doing much in the fight.

You know, as much I enjoyed this episode, I feel like it backtracked everything they tried to establish in "The Magician".

They made it such a big point of Oliver believing that Malcom's hands were clean of Sara's blood that he went as far as declaring (albeit inadvertently) war on the LOA in order to protect Malcom from their wrath.

Then you have Ra's saying in that episode that he didn't see Sara as one of their own and that he only wanted to punish Malcom for his other sins.

And yet we have this episode where Oliver easily (and rightfully so this time) believes that Malcom was behind Sara's death now after thinking that he was being framed by him, while you have Ra's and the LOA saying that they were going to unleash hell upon Starling City simply because they wanted Sara's killer was brought to justice.

This is the exact same problem that they had at the end of last season, where they devoted time and energy into supposedly giving Sara an arc where we saw on how she had to transition from being an former assassin to a heroine in her own right, only for her to go back to the LOA with open arms.

Yup, agreed.

One thing that felt odd was how they portrayed Maseo in this episode, during the present day scenes.

I mean for like 90% of his scenes in the Present, it looks as though he doesn't care about Oliver anymore and would have no qualms about killing him in a instant if Ra's allowed it, but then near the end of the episode, you suddenly have the dude expressing concern for Oliver. It didn't make sense for me.

Yeah,I found that odd too.It was like he wanted Ra's to give him an excuse to kill Ollie about 5 times over.But afterward,he's like "Sorry dude,it's just part of my job."

He said his new name is "The Phantom". Is that a comic reference I'm missing?

Last edited:
It's too bad they had to use a stunt double Ra's for 95% of the fight. They let too many face shots of the double get through, it was really obvious Nable wasn't doing much in the fight.

Yup, even though it was a good fight, the stunt double was way to obvious.
But at least they looked somewhat alike. Compared to Roy's stunt double :woot:

Took me a second to understand why Laurel would tell Thea not to tell Oliver about Sarah's death at the cemetery. Seemed like an odd line. Then i figured she was just maintaining the stories cover……

Great ep. I liked it…a lot. Ra's Al Ghul is a pure badass!

They said they're near at the glads in the show they're near Florida. the olu place ithe USA that's ever called that is ear Florida. but in the comic's starling is in the mid west. they never should have used that word glads though . oh well.

Last edited:
They said they're near at the glads in the show they're near Florida. the olu place ithe USA that's ever called that is ear Florida. but in the comic's starling is in the mid west. they never should have used that word glads though . oh well.

The Glades exist in the comics and have the exact same name...Star City of the comics is somewhere on the West Coast (I think they once said it was in California).
In the show Starling is probably somewhere in the NorthWest as they film in Canada and go for the same visuals as the Green Arrow Comics during the time he was in Seattle.

I've always seen it roughly as, location only;

New York City, NY - Metropolis
Atlantic City, NJ - Gotham City
Baltimore, MD or Philadelphia, PA - Blüdhaven
Kansas City, MO - Keystone City
Seattle, WA - Star(ling) City
San Francisco, CA or Los Angeles, CA - Coast City

On the notion of The Glades in Arrow, I see it as mainly a district/area name and not a location names... ala The Narrows, Compton, Queens, etc. and not a geological thing.

The Glades exist in the comics and have the exact same name...Star City of the comics is somewhere on the West Coast (I think they once said it was in California).
In the show Starling is probably somewhere in the NorthWest as they film in Canada and go for the same visuals as the Green Arrow Comics during the time he was in Seattle.
well the comic's it's always been stated as the mid west. though and cali doesn't have a Glades . starling can have one but it'll make it all odd cause the one people in real life know is the one in Florida and there's not other place with that name.

Now I was just thinking when most Si-fi writers talk about metropolis's (not the actual Dc city)or megalopolis's they always talk about the possible fictional city's like starling being a City the cross's 3 or 4 states like being almost as big as California or rivaling it.

but for the east coast south mid west. they can do that for the mid west to Florida . say that starling intersects the mid west to Florida so people won't jump all over them there is a small town gotham in the real life USA from what I under stand now & days in new york state. they can pull it off. metropolis was base on T dot AKa Toronto. (From the actual creators)

But it was always far north you'd think it's above NYC slightly but some how added Chicago etc cause it rivaled cali some how with its size

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"