Black Panther Sequel ideas...

Why does everyone keep suggesting Moses Magnum?

He's both relevant to the plot (Outsiders seeking to take advantage of the changes in Wakanda) and socially topical (Representing the military industrial complex)

Plus his one of the more notable villains. Black Panther doesn't have a lot of great recurring villains in the comics.

It would be pretty easy to tie Moses Magnum's vibration powers to vibranium as well.

Edi Gathegi would make a good Moses Magnum. Gathegi could use another shot in a comic book movie after getting sort changed in X-Men First Class. They could change his nationality to Kenyan. The whole siding with Mussolini's Italian invaders over his Ethiopian countrymen backstory is dated anyway.

Last edited:
I'd find that boringly predictable myself.

Agree to disagree.

To boil it down like that, any idea can be called predictable. How many times have we seen the 'monomyth' or 'hero's journey' story? The details of how an idea is executed matter, provides the differentiation that makes each iteration distinct.

I'm certainly not saying turn her bad just to do it. All I'm saying is if they wanted to do it, it could be executed in a way we haven't seen before just as their relationship in this film isn't something we'd seen before.

He's both relevant to the plot (Outsiders seeking to take advantage of the changes in Wakanda) and socially topical (Representing the military industrial complex)

Additionally, his seismic power set can be used to directly strike at Wakanda's vibranium mound mining operation, so the power sets and levels interplay well. Them being at odds feels like a natural fit.

To paraphrase Vision from Civil War, T'Challa's strengths would seem to invite the kind of challenge Magnum provides.

Last edited:
I've never seen a Black Panther vs Moses Magnum story. Any suggestions to check out?

I actually think Edi Gathegi would be a great Achebe. He'd need a haircut of course.

I've never seen a Black Panther vs Moses Magnum story. Any suggestions to check out?

Main one I can think of is Deathlok vol 2, #22-25.

Magnum overthrows the ruler of a Wakanda-neighboring country, Canaan, announces his country as an "African-American homeland" and basically invites all descendants of the diaspora to come for a better life. In reality, he's struggling for funds.

He attempts a hack into the techno-organic jungle (that Deathlok averts) and sends multiple attackers (that Deathlok and BP team-up to stave off) in an attempt to get control of the vibranium mound and financially stabilize his country.

Failing in those attempts, he's able to outfit an army enough to launch a desperate assault on Wakanda with planes and drones, which is easily thwarted by Wakanda's defense system, Deathlok and BP.

Very quick arc, not fleshed out very well, but it lays a decent template. Ends with Deathlok chastising Magnum for trying to come up by strong-arming other black rulers, 'crabs in a bucket'-style. So there's a bit of social commentary there from Dwayne McDuffie that he would typically underline his work with and which also fits Coogler's approach to BP in the film.

Last edited:
Id like to see some tackling of the difficulties of trying to help people in countries that, for whatever reason, seem to refuse aid, or suffer from a seemingly impossible choice between instability and tyranny. If Wakandan walks on the world stage trying to be the ideal and altruistic superpower, it would still struggle to appropriately aid Syria.

So give me some kind of country that Wakandan can be trying to aid, and then have the struggles, backfires, and potential moral compromises take over the story. Since they own X-Men properties now, maybe import Madripoor over, and inject steroids into the portrayal of it as an unstable and unfair mess of a country. T'Challa and Nakia try to aid it and try to appoint a good leader, but the leader feels that allying with a deplorable faction is necessary to maintain order, or they Rey and conduct fair elections, only for the majority of the country to not believe their integrity and either not vote, or treat the election as mere political theater.

Maybe, if you want to play with the break between Nakia and T'Challa in the comics, have them find themselves gravitating towards different factions in an ongoing civil war. Maybe they legitimately become enemies, or maybe they wind up fighting each other's champions.

One "hero civil war" as enough, I have no interest in seeing another honestly.

Some villains that show potential here.
[YT]26dHlMNnuzw[/YT]

I actually liked the War Dogs concept at least for the sequel because it is like a political meets spy kind of thriller similar to Cap: Winter Soldier (2014) meets Enemy of the State (1998)

Yea I've been thinking more about the idea. W'Kabi said most of the War dogs were not complying with Killmonger, but the operatives in Hong Kong, London and New York there were ready to take orders from there new king.

So to me that indicates some questionable loyalty that T'chala is going to have to investigate. Another reason for T'chala to pay them a visit.

And another idea I got from Collider heroes is that Hong Kong, London, and New York are cities that where the main Dr Strange sanctums are located.

The War dogs would most likely pay close attention to cities that have such high levels of magic.

So then maybe Black Panther: Dogs of War where he goes to seek out the unfaithful members of the Hatut Zeraze and runs up against Hunter. But while he's out and about, someone like Achebe or Magnum rolls into Wakanda to wreak havoc, so the brothers have to return to stop the new threat.

Will the sequel be simply

BP2 or BP II or BP Volume 2 or BP Part 2 or BP: Wakanda

I'm wondering how they will do this.

I think the villain exposing the War Dog sleeper agents around the world would be a interesting plot point. It would mess up T'Challa's outreach plans by making the world distrust him and Wakanda.

Will the sequel be simply

BP2 or BP II or BP Volume 2 or BP Part 2 or BP: Wakanda

I'm wondering how they will do this.

More than likely, it will be subtitled like the Cap and Thor series. Guardians only got the Vol. 2 because it was a play off the soundtrack element of the series and Iron Man got numbered sequels because they didn't have the subtitle method at that point (I honestly think Captain America: The First Avenger is why they decided to start using subtitles for sequels...even though that was not a sequel, I think it was the basis for the trend).

Considering how incredibly successful Black Panther has been, I wouldn't mind it if it's just called Black Panther 2. This character and franchise is so strong, we don't need a mother****ing colon!

I'd bet anything the sequel will be titled "Black Panther: Enemy of the State".

More than likely, it will be subtitled like the Cap and Thor series. Guardians only got the Vol. 2 because it was a play off the soundtrack element of the series and Iron Man got numbered sequels because they didn't have the subtitle method at that point (I honestly think Captain America: The First Avenger is why they decided to start using subtitles for sequels...even though that was not a sequel, I think it was the basis for the trend).

Great post. Thanks.

I want T'chala to make same hard presidential decisions. By that I mean he needs to make choices that will piss off half of the audience.

For example does he give medical aid to Haitians or does he help rebuild the aftermath of natural disasters India?

It's easy to say "Do both" but Wakanda is still a small country with limited man power, despite there advanced tech.

There should always be consequences and repercussions for every action he makes.

There isn't a single president in history that has been able to please 100% of it's nation.
I don't want the writers to forget that he's not just a hero, but a leader of a country.

White Wolf will obviously be in the sequel

White Wolf will obviously be in the sequel

I don't think so. The Wakandans kept calling Bucky "White Wolf" at the end, and I think in an interview it said that was his nickname from them. So, Bucky I guess is officially the MCU White Wolf as well.

why that?

Well, Marvel has a tendency to subtitle sequels after the characters more iconic stories.

Enemy of the State is probably Black Panther's more well known storylines. I'd be surprised if the storyline wasn't some variation on it.

I don't think so. The Wakandans kept calling Bucky "White Wolf" at the end, and I think in an interview it said that was his nickname from them. So, Bucky I guess is officially the MCU White Wolf as well.

To be honest, that kinda still works. If they head in a direction where Bucky takes over certain traits of White Wolf while keeping certain traits of Bucky Barnes we can get a lot of mileage out of Sebastian. He can make a appearance in BP2 and bring up some pretty political issues. Obviously because he's freaking Bucky I think he would also help "soften" some things that could be viewed as political landmines.

...Or as others see it, "The great SJW agenda."

I swear when I hear that I feel like we're talking about the Illuminati.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"