Civil War Captain America 3: Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
CW is tracking ahead of IM3 so I'm not sure why it wouldn't hit 400 m.

Will it make good money during Memorial Day ?

That'll be it's 4th weekend. Ideally, $25 over the 4 day weekend would be great.

It's current total is at just $100K short of $766M globally. By tomorrow, it should make $785-790M globally. By, then, it just needs $210-215M globally over the weekend to get past $1B globally. I think it has a shot to hit it.

I'm going to go with Gitesh Pandya's take on Civil War's final domestic gross: between $430M and $440M.

Yikes, just when we thought Civil War was tracking a bit ahead of Age of Ultron on weekdays it goes and has a drop like that from Tuesday to Wednesday. In comparison, AoU had a Tuesday to Wednesday drop of 28.3%, from $13.13M to $9.41M.

I'm going to go with Gitesh Pandya's take on Civil War's final domestic gross: between $430M and $440M.

If that holds, that puts it at as the No. 3 box office domestic MCU film behind Avengers and Age of Ultron.

Yikes, just when we thought Civil War was tracking a bit ahead of Age of Ultron on weekdays it goes and has a drop like that from Tuesday to Wednesday. In comparison, AoU had a Tuesday to Wednesday drop of 28.3%, from $13.13M to $9.41M.

I think expecting it to beat Age of Ultron was unrealistic, even if Disney sees that film as an under-performer.

At the end of the day, this is still a Captain America sequel, and this is the biggest Captain America movie of all time.

CW projections based on Wednesday numbers...

Thursday: $8.12M (-9.59%)
OPENING WEEK TOTAL: $223M

Friday: $22.5M (+177%)
Saturday: $37M (+64.5%)
Sunday: $25.8M (-30.3%)
SECOND WEEKEND TOTAL: $85.3M (-52.4%)

PROJECTED TEN-WEEK DOMESTIC TOTAL: $531M (2.97x)

I think expecting it to beat Age of Ultron was unrealistic, even if Disney sees that film as an under-performer.

At the end of the day, this is still a Captain America sequel, and this is the biggest Captain America movie of all time.

I wonder if we're having the same conversation if it were titled "Avengers: Civil War".

Essentially it's a movie with all the same Avenger team-up feel, except it's not Tony-centric. Instead it's both Steve/Tony-centric with two other predominant arcs in BP and Bucky.

So if we look at the big team-ups from a Box Office perspective, the total $ performance has been dropping from Avengers to AOU to CW. There's no shame in the money CW will make, but I think perhaps we're starting to see some limitation. That could change if Infinity War blows everyones minds.

I dunno. With sequels, on many occasions there is always a law of diminishing returns. It goes as far back as Empire Strikes back. Not just that film, but even look at something like Spider-Man 2.

I think expecting $531 million at this point is IMHO a little unrealistic. I mean, that's a huge number. Plus with all the other big movies coming out, to expect the film to make another $300+ million this summer seems unrealistic.

you asked the question. I do not think it will make 400 million. I think it will be just short of it

There is no way it doesn't top $400M. That would be a 2.23 multiplier, easily the worst in the MCU (IM3 currently has the worst, at 2.35). I think a reasonable expectation is a $450M final (2.51X OW, a little bit better than IM2) while there remains an outside chance at $500M (2.79), although if it falls much more than 50% this weekend then that is pretty much dead.

There is no way it doesn't top $400M. That would be a 2.23 multiplier, easily the worst in the MCU (IM3 currently has the worst, at 2.35). I think a reasonable expectation is a $450M final (2.51X OW, a little bit better than IM2) while there remains an outside chance at $500M (2.79), although if it falls much more than 50% this weekend then that is pretty much dead.

Maybe, it'll get $500M if it gets some boost over Memorial Day weekend.

I dunno. With sequels, on many occasions there is always a law of diminishing returns. It goes as far back as Empire Strikes back. Not just that film, but even look at something like Spider-Man 2.

I hear you on that. It would appear Marvel is trying their hardest to buck that trend.

Maybe, it'll get $500M if it gets some boost over Memorial Day weekend.

I can see people choosing to go on Memorial Day.

Looking Glass and Apocolypse will open then, but I think the positive WOM Civil War has should still give it some business.

I love your optimism but I just calculated my own prediction plugging in the weekly numbers from IM3 and I came up with a gross domestic take of $430 M.

plug in TWS numbers you will get $489 M

It's a safe bet that CW will make at LEAST $440 M and at the most $500 M.

Ultimately, I see it falling somewhere between $470-490 M. So let's make that $480 M lol

Last edited:
BOTTOM LINE: Civil War is going to beat Age of Ultron's $459 M total folks.

Alright, guys. The night is near its end. Starting tomorrow until late Sunday night, let's do our hardest to get Civil War to drop at 50% or less. I know I'll be doing my part in Saturday.

BTW, Box Office Mojo is predicting a $77.5M second weekend for Civil War, while Screen Rant predicts $80.6M for its second weekend. Let's get it higher than those numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"