Duncan Jones' Warcraft - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be wrong, but here is what I think the problem is in turning Warcraft into a movie. Here is my problem with the whole premise of a Warcraft movie. The games aren't about the main characters really. In Warcraft, you are taking control of races or you are taking the role of a character you create specifically for the world of the game. It's not a typically heavily narrative focused game like Uncharted or The Witcher.

Then again, I'm not sure you can convert Uncharted into a movie either because it takes away all the agency the player gets while playing the game and that's why it works so much.

I don't think people are going to get invested in the Assassin's Creed movie either because it's not going to have that emotional connection players get from "feeling" like an assassin.
Outside of something like The Witcher, so much of what makes these games fun, unique experiences is almost strictly down to that agency. That is what takes these cliched stories and ideas, and makes them something else. Uncharted is very much you as Indiana Jones. Which is perfect for a game, but different once you start adapting it.

And that's why a Skyrim movie is never gonna work.
No actor is ever gonna look as badass as your dovahkiin, and no actor is ever gonna steal random **** and pick dumb suicidal fights with giants in the same way that you did. It's just not the same thing.

We really need a fantasy film to be wildly successful that is original and not based on a well known text before I think that might start happening.
Oh yeah, absolutely. Especially because adaptations of famous books and/or games not only are usually pretty difficult to pull off, given the complexity of the source material, but they always seem to spark all the kinds of controversies (both deserved and not), and that must be just frustrating for the filmmakers.

Nope, we need to hear new stories. The thing is, right now the industry is in the hands of the people who grew up with Star Wars and other sci-fi classics, that's why we're getting so many original movies of that sort.
I guess we'll just have to wait until the LotR and GoT (which I've never even watched, btw :hehe:) generations grow up and make their own way in Hollywood, lol.

Oh yeah, absolutely. Especially because adaptations of famous books and/or games not only are usually pretty difficult to pull off, given the complexity of the source material, but they always seem to spark all the kinds of controversies (both deserved and not), and that must be just frustrating for the filmmakers.

Nope, we need to hear new stories. The thing is, right now the industry is in the hands of the people who grew up with Star Wars and other sci-fi classics, that's why we're getting so many original movies of that sort.
I guess we'll just have to wait until the LotR and GoT (which I've never even watched, btw :hehe:) generations grow up and make their own way in Hollywood, lol.
Maybe something in that.

And Got isn't your typical fantasy but it's so awesome it's worth a shot. Watch the first couple of episodes as you should know by then if it's for you. The books are great so far.

The one series that could easily work as an adaptation to me is Bioshock. Get the right writer and director, and you could have something special. Bioshock is original enough and deep enough to work imo.

Really? I think Bioshock would be terrible as a film as the big narrative twist is dependent on the game being, well, a game.

So what's the buzz on this? As bad as the marketing is, I'm hoping this movie is good. For once I want a good video game movie. From what I see here it seems to be more on the mixed to negative side?
Critics are mixed, fans and GA are more on the positive side.

Really? I think Bioshock would be terrible as a film as the big narrative twist is dependent on the game being, well, a game.
No it doesn't. Even more so with Infinite.

When you're adapting a game into a movie, you have to make some changes because sometimes in games in order to get something you need to have to go on a mission to retrieve it, etc. Everything's goal oriented, to a fault.

Also most games don't have a B or C plot line, unless you're able to play as other characters (like in an RPG). And often you don't spend enough time with the villains either. You can't really unless it's Metal Gear Solid. You know as much as the protagonists, and see the plot from their point of view.

The one series that could easily work as an adaptation to me is Bioshock. Get the right writer and director, and you could have something special. Bioshock is original enough and deep enough to work imo.
I think only Infinite has a potential to be a film, that can be liked by GA. The first game is a fantastic story and setting, but ultimately isn't fitting for a film, because it's a journey of one man. There's not enough character interaction. Of course, they can always invent something based on the setting, with new characters, new story and stuff, but it's impossible to know if it will make as powerful impact, as originals.

WC, on the other hand, features insanely banal fantasy, but compensated by gameplay, atmosphere and designs.

I think only Infinite has a potential to be a film, that can be liked by GA. The first game is a fantastic story and setting, but ultimately isn't fitting for a film, because it's a journey of one man. There's not enough character interaction. Of course, they can always invent something based on the setting, with new characters, new story and stuff, but it's impossible to know if it will make as powerful impact, as originals.

WC, on the other hand, features insanely banal fantasy, but compensated by gameplay, atmosphere and designs.
I can think of a very easy way to do it, especially considering how the game is based around interacting with a very specific person. Plus, Little Sisters.

And come, the atmosphere and designs of Bioshock drop kick Warcraft.

So what's the buzz on this? As bad as the marketing is, I'm hoping this movie is good. For once I want a good video game movie. From what I see here it seems to be more on the mixed to negative side?

It has a 38% on rotten tomatoes right now out of 8 reviews for all critics and a 33% for top critics. The gamer pre-screenings went very well from what I hear. Don't think general audiences have seen it yet (from what I hear on here screenings were filled with people cosplaying). Early word on it being a 'problem film' for Universal is turning out to be true, but it seems like gamers will like it a lot.

I can think of a very easy way to do it, especially considering how the game is based around interacting with a very specific person. Plus, Little Sisters.
If Bioshock 1 can be made into a film, then Thief: The Dark Project can be made too. :gngl: That would be a dream come true for me. Fantastic story, THICK and scary atmosphere and requires relatively modest budget to make (though maybe TV series is a better format).
And come, the atmosphere and designs of Bioshock drop kick Warcraft.
Easily. I was gobsmacked by the world of Bioshock. I didn't want it to end. I'm a huge fan of B1 and BI.

There seems to be a pretty big difference between the few US reviews and the foreign ones so far, which is not something I expected.

How is it based on being a game? Please use spoiler tags.

Because it’s a deconstruction of single player games. In most games you get an objective and you go and do it. You don’t really think why other than because someone told you to do so. The big twist comments on this. In a film, people are more likely going to question why the main character (whose name escapes me) is following the orders of this mysterious voice on the radio. Furthermore, when the twist does come it will lose much of its impact as it’s just some character that is the puppet rather than you, the player.

If Bioshock 1 can be made into a film, then Thief: The Dark Project can be made too. :gngl: That would be a dream come true for me. Fantastic story, THICK and scary atmosphere and requires relatively modest budget to make (though maybe TV series is a better format).
I have never played that Thief, but I can think of a few games that would work well as tv series. Kind of like most comics would work better in that medium then film. That is what happens when you have a huge cast of characters.

Easily. I was gobsmacked by the world of Bioshock. I didn't want it to end. I'm a huge fan of B1 and BI.
Ah, I thought you were comparing. I am sorry for misreading your post. :up:

There seems to be a pretty big difference between the few US reviews and the foreign ones so far, which is not something I expected.
This is not uncommon. US critics usually drop the RT meter.

Yup. Overseas critics are far kinder to summer blockbuster fair.

Because it’s a deconstruction of single player games. In most games you get an objective and you go and do it. You don’t really think why other than because someone told you to do so. The big twist comments on this. In a film, people are more likely going to question why the main character (whose name escapes me) is following the orders of this mysterious voice on the radio. Furthermore, when the twist does come it will lose much of its impact as it’s just some character that is the puppet rather than you, the player.
Does not being a video game damper what happens with HAL in 2001? Of course not.

The situation with Atlas, can work perfectly with a quality main character, and a "war" in Rapture. The idea is Atlas is helping you. If that is how it plays in a movie, why would there be no impact? That is like saying no double cross ever worked on film, which is of course not true.

Does not being a video game damper what happens with HAL in 2001? Of course not.

The situation with Atlas, can work perfectly with a quality main character, and a "war" in Rapture. The idea is Atlas is helping you. If that is how it plays in a movie, why would there be no impact? That is like saying no double cross ever worked on film, which is of course not true.

Much to my shame, I still have yet to watch 2001 so I can’t comment on that.

However, I never said it would have “no impact” but rather it would lose much of it.

I remember once upon a time the internet laughed at Americans for lapping up crap films. This reversal is a welcome change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"