EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like others have said, Chestnut would not be my first choice, but if he is cast I'm okay with it. I think he could handle the role well enough, though I am concerned about him doing an African accent.

From what I've heard so far, I'm not sure that Chestnut meant he was going to be T'Challa or if he was just going to be another Black Panther associated character. At this point he could be up for the role of Killmonger for all we know.

He'd be a decent W'kabi, maybe :hehe:

I also think Chesnut isn't a bad choice. My top pick? No. But he's a good actor actually who has been waiting for a star vehicle. This could be it. The only trouble is, BP has to have an African Accent whether its a true accent or acted, it needs to be there. I don't no if Chestnut can pull that accent off though.

In all the Xmen films Storm (hally berry) doesn't have an African accent, Gambit (Wolverine Origins film) didn't have a Cajun accent, Bashee (Xmen 1st Class) did not have a strong Irish accent. i think it would help mightily if T' Challa did have a strong accent but take note how Marvel films have been ignoring this from the beginning.

i'm not sure Black Panther is a strong enough marvel figure to have his own solo movie. (and i think the same as with Ant-Man) and what about his arch enemies ? i would think we have to see someone much stronger and appealing than Klaw. i think he would work best under a group like Avengers or Fantastic Four or a side subject on a Captain America film.
And again, i think Ant-man falls into that same situation with needing to be grouped than solo film..

In all the Xmen films Storm (hally berry) doesn't have an African accent, Gambit (Wolverine Origins film) didn't have a Cajun accent, Bashee (Xmen 1st Class) did not have a strong Irish accent. i think it would help mightily if T' Challa did have a strong accent but take note how Marvel films have been ignoring this from the beginning.

Fox made the X films, not Marvel Studios. Though Storm had an accent in X1.

It's almost (almost) excusable that those characters were given American accents since they all lived in the States for a significant period of time/all their lives.

T'Challa having an American accent wouldn't make any sense at all given his upbringing, t'would be a massive miss step on MS's part if they Americanized him. You'd be unnecessarily taking away an aspect of him [that's unique to big superhero films].

I hope that Batroc ends up as a potential villain for Black Panther to fight. It's all well and good with Klaw, but they need a physical threat too. Panther can't just be using his fighting prowess against a guy with a sonic blaster. That would be like watching a Kung Fu movie where only one side is using Kung Fu, and the other a high tech weapon. Where's the fun in that? Would be cool to see Batroc showing up in another Marvel movie too.

Maybe the villains could be Man Ape (who perhaps kills T'Chaka), Klaw, who comes seeking Vibranium and then later maybe forges an alliance with Man Ape, and Batroc as a henchman now working for Klaw after the events of Cap 2.

i'm not sure Black Panther is a strong enough marvel figure to have his own solo movie...

:dry: we don't want your kind here...

LOL!

No but really. We will maim and disembowel you for these types of comments.

Yeah, Klaw is the world's most accomplished assassin with a fleet of mercs on his side. He's certainly appealing, and much stronger than some of the world's greatest villains, like Joker and Red Skull.

Theres a difference though imo. Black Panther is the KING lol of an African country, born and raised for lots of his life in an African country also, If they have him without an accent that would be terrible lol. Way worse than Storm or Gambit imo.

Anyway 42 is out now, I still havent gotten to see it but its getting good reviews. Mostly all reviews say he was great as Jackie and Harrison was great to. Anybody seen it think he'd b a good Panther?

Chiwetel Ejiofor is the choice, watch Serinity and Red Belt, then watch Four Brothers, dude can act.

He definitely can act, though I'm not really that interested in him as Panther. And Four Brothers should never be watched lol.

Theres a difference though imo. Black Panther is the KING lol of an African country, born and raised for lots of his life in an African country also, If they have him without an accent that would be terrible lol. Way worse than Storm or Gambit imo.

Anyway 42 is out now, I still havent gotten to see it but its getting good reviews. Mostly all reviews say he was great as Jackie and Harrison was great to. Anybody seen it think he'd b a good Panther?

I actually disagree about the Panther needing an African acccent. I think him having a British accent would work just as well, if not better. For many western movie viewers, British accents often a shorthand for "regal" or well bred. It's why anyone with a British accent is usually seen as being more "classy". A black African King with a British accent might throw some viewers intially, but it's easily explained.

It's long been an established part of his history that T'Challa studied in the UK, where he got his PHD in Physics from Oxford. So he's got a British education. Children of African dignataries sent to study abroad often come back with the local accent. I think him having a British accent makes perfect sense, without actually messing with his origin or history. As long as the accent isn't American though.

In fact, I've always envisioned the movie opening with T'Challa studying at Oxford University (the audience will get an early look at his intellect) and being summoned back to Wakanda because of some internal strife involving his father that lead to him taking on the mantle of the Panther.

Last edited:
That could be interesting. I'm not entirely sure how I'd feel about it. It really underlines that Euro-centrism that I think can undermine a character that's so essentially African. If Wakanda is sore core to the character, how come he sounds like he's from Essex? You could turn around and subvert that if/when he tosses off his British accent and regains his African one going into the third act... but that might be a bit too... abstract? Pretentious? Not sure.

lol I say stick with an African accent. Just makes life easier.

lol I say stick with an African accent. Just makes life easier.

Yeah. We already have a bunch of "Norse" gods with British accents. Let the one African superhero have an African accent.

Yes, I think an African accent is one of the more important aspects to BP's character. If they wanted to change this, my question would be a simple "Why???"

That could be interesting. I'm not entirely sure how I'd feel about it. It really underlines that Euro-centrism that I think can undermine a character that's so essentially African. If Wakanda is sore core to the character, how come he sounds like he's from Essex? You could turn around and subvert that if/when he tosses off his British accent and regains his African one going into the third act... but that might be a bit too... abstract? Pretentious? Not sure.

An Essex accent isn't the only British accent. There are huge variations across all the counties. If he's attended Oxford, or brought up in a boarding school or private school, he shouldn't sound like an Essex lad at all. Not that I really want him to have a British accent anyway. But the point is that if he is a king and can afford to be educated in England, he wouldn't sound like a commoner and wouldn't pick some local comprehensive school.

Yeah. We already have a bunch of "Norse" gods with British accents. Let the one African superhero have an African accent.

Agreed.

Giving him a British accent is just pointless.

Actually it would be like giving Captain America a French or British accent.

An Essex accent isn't the only British accent. There are huge variations across all the counties. If he's attended Oxford, or brought up in a boarding school or private school, he shouldn't sound like an Essex lad at all. Not that I really want him to have a British accent anyway. But the point is that if he is a king and can afford to be educated in England, he wouldn't sound like a commoner and wouldn't pick some local comprehensive school.

"Essex" was just ignorance on my part, I should have stuck with Oxford. I didn't realize the received pronunciation doesn't necessarily come from anywhere, per se.

I personally would have him school in the states to be more immediately identifiable to American audiences, though England wouldn't exactly hurt that. Other than that, I view the opening pretty much the same as you do.

And a lot of the African accents aren't far from British accents as far as the endings of words. Some of the hard consonants are different, especially that Zimbabwe area, but by and large, not a big leap. You could effectively split the difference for the two and harden the sounds to A) Create a brand new African sounding accent and B) Illustrate, even in the accent, the "dichotomy" of Wakanda, both very advanced, and very African.

Basically he speaks perfect English but has that typical "African" accent. We all know what it sounds like.

"Essex" was just ignorance on my part, I should have stuck with Oxford. I didn't realize the received pronunciation doesn't necessarily come from anywhere, per se.

I personally would have him school in the states to be more immediately identifiable to American audiences, though England wouldn't exactly hurt that. Other than that, I view the opening pretty much the same as you do.

And a lot of the African accents aren't far from British accents as far as the endings of words. Some of the hard consonants are different, especially that Zimbabwe area, but by and large, not a big leap. You could effectively split the difference for the two and harden the sounds to A) Create a brand new African sounding accent and B) Illustrate, even in the accent, the "dichotomy" of Wakanda, both very advanced, and very African.

You mean a lot of African pronuncations. The African accent is nothing like the British accent and you couldn't confuse the two over here.

As far as received pronunciation goes (which, ironically, often refers more to a type of accent), that is more typical of people from public (which really means private) or boarding schools - it's similar to the Queen's English. It's like the classic posh accent, which many people attending Oxford would have (because they've attended public schools or boarding schools). However, people from Oxford or specifically from Oxfordshire county sound completely different (more like a farmer's accent).

The Essex accent is kind of like Sienna Miller's in Layer Cake, which isn't far different from the Cockney accent. Sienna Miller, as she normally speaks though, is more received pronunciation.

For me I would prefer if his accent was subtle, a perfect example for me is the actor who did the voice work for him on Avengers: EMH. That would be my ideal accent as it has a foreign sound to it but its not over the top to a point it becomes comedic or even offensive.

I'm sick of British accents on people who aren't British. It's the go to accent for Hollywood movies for anything European that's not French, Russian, or German, and it's way overused at this point. It's not hard to do an African accent either. That's what they have voice coaches for. Someone could coach the cast to know what a West African vs. East African accent would be, and they could go from there. A good director that pays attention to detail would be ideal here.

Based on the MARVEL Comic Book
B l a c k P a n t h e r
C h I w e t e l E j I o f o r

Westley Snipes Peter Mensa Kerry Washington Djimon Hounsou Denzel Washington Christoph Waltz

From the Studio that brought you the “Iron Man Trilogy”, “Guardians of the Galaxy” and “Marvel’s The Avengers I & II”

KInda cool right? Was kinda bored lol. With realistic release date and all lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"