EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
True... also sometimes I think of Monica Rambeau as a Monica Lynne/Storm stand in...

But Black Panther is awesome, needs shine time. The trick for Marvel, I believe, is doing it in a new fresh way, something that's unique. How do you do BP in a way that isn't a political/war thriller like Cap, isn't a tech arms race like Iron Man and isn't a prodigal prince like Thor? Other than have an uber country (so does Thor, btw), what is it that makes Black Panther -fresh-. Extra points if there's something other than being black.

Make the movie a martial arts revenge epic.

True... also sometimes I think of Monica Rambeau as a Monica Lynne/Storm stand in...

But Black Panther is awesome, needs shine time. The trick for Marvel, I believe, is doing it in a new fresh way, something that's unique. How do you do BP in a way that isn't a political/war thriller like Cap, isn't a tech arms race like Iron Man and isn't a prodigal prince like Thor? Other than have an uber country (so does Thor, btw), what is it that makes Black Panther -fresh-. Extra points if there's something other than being black.

So if they ever add Monica (which seems unlikely at this point), who would play her?

I've been thinking a lot about who should portray Monica Rambeau in the MCU, but no one jumps out at me as the obvious choice.

Having her as a Monica Lynne stand-in would be an interesting way to go. Although, I think casting Monica Lynne would be easier than casting Monica Rambeau. It's probably much more difficult to come up with someone who could believably portray a superhero than it would be to find the right fit for a singer/love interest.

T"Challa;26647941 said:

:woot: ^^^ Yes!

Set it up like the old school kung-fu flicks with training montages and *****! Just throw in some Panther mysticism and include some mystery dealing with the heart-shaped herb. The main plot can be about the T'Challa avenging T'Chaka's death with subplots of protecting the vibranium supply and Wakanda's reveal to the rest of the world.

I've been thinking a lot about who should portray Monica Rambeau in the MCU, but no one jumps out at me as the obvious choice.

Having her as a Monica Lynne stand-in would be an interesting way to go. Although, I think casting Monica Lynne would be easier than casting Monica Rambeau. It's probably much more difficult to come up with someone who could believably portray a superhero than it would be to find the right fit for a singer/love interest.

I don't see them adding Monica Rambeau into MCU, but if they do, I am sure at the top of their list would probably be Kerry Washington and then Rosario Dawson and ummmm.....well, those would probably be Marvel's top two for Monica Rambeau. Also probably top two for Monica Lynne.

Excellent thoughts.

Black/King/scientist/pimp

Wasn't Tony a scientist/pimp? Not being like Iron Man, I think, is the hardest challenge, because Panther often is.

T"Challa;26647941 said:

Now THAT would be interesting, and indeed epic, and indeed unique. Using Wakanda as this sort of epic backdrop for these martial arts battles. That could be very cool. You still kind of want that science uberness though, does that vibe with a martial arts thing? Can those be integrated?

Hmmm... with Iron Man you have that roguish marverick doing uber tech. With Thor you have that prodigal prince as a mystical powerhouse, with Cap you have that sort of peter parker arc as a soldier. Even with Hulk you have a scientist who is on the run against the world as a force of nature.

For Black Panther, I think the archetype is that strong silent type, typical of many an anime character, I think. The Terminator. Snake Eyes. Blade. That goes really well with the Martial Arts epic and dovetails nicely with Black Panther's nature as this mysterious figure. I would dare limit the tech stuff to his Kimoyo Card (a souped up smart phone-like omni-tool of his own invention) and vibranium weapons and armor. Him being an engineer would be like his 'cover' so to speak, 'this is what I do to avoid having to beat everyone around me senseless with my uber martial arts skills.' A lot of those martial arts characters have that, this is what I do to have peace. Superior fight skills not only explain why he can go head to head with the rest of the Avengers by his lonesome, but also keep the budget down to a great degree, because much of the action is hand to hand.

There is the small issue of martial arts films not always getting a lot of respect and attention in the West. I don't know why that is though. Is it the contrivances of people not having guns? Because, I'd love to have Black Panther outfight some guns and fix that.

So if they ever add Monica (which seems unlikely at this point), who would play her?

Monica Lynne - Jennifer Hudson
Monica Rambeau - Naomie Harris

Monica Lynne seems quite likely though. Who else would be the love interest? Perhaps they'd do Dora Milaje Okoye and Nakia/Malice, but it seems more likely they'd have an American love interest in there somehow. Kerry Washington and Rosario Dawson are fine choices respectively as well, I think.

Last edited:
My favorite characteristic of Tchalla is that he's African and brings his sensibilities into a universe lacking that perspective. Really that simple for me.

My favorite characteristic is his incredible devotion to his responsibility as King of Wakanda and how that overshadows everything.

Excellent thoughts.

Now THAT would be interesting, and indeed epic, and indeed unique. Using Wakanda as this sort of epic backdrop for these martial arts battles. That could be very cool. You still kind of want that science uberness though, does that vibe with a martial arts thing? Can those be integrated?

For Black Panther, I think the archetype is that strong silent type, typical of many an anime character, I think. The Terminator. Snake Eyes. Blade. That goes really well with the Martial Arts epic and dovetails nicely with Black Panther's nature as this mysterious figure. I would dare limit the tech stuff to his Kimoyo Card (a souped up smart phone-like omni-tool of his own invention) and vibranium weapons and armor. Him being an engineer would be like his 'cover' so to speak, 'this is what I do to avoid having to beat everyone around me senseless with my uber martial arts skills.' A lot of those martial arts characters have that, this is what I do to have peace. Superior fight skills not only explain why he can go head to head with the rest of the Avengers by his lonesome, but also keep the budget down to a great degree, because much of the action is hand to hand.

Yep..this is very important. My idea for a BP film is basically an amalgamation of The Lion King, Kill Bill and The Raid. Here is the way it would go for me. its a long post, but bear with me..lol

Introduce Wakanda as the beautiful otherworldy place we know. The royal family: T'Chaka, Ramonda, Shuri and T'Challa. Paint them as a very close-knit family with an utmost love for Wakanda. really set up the father-son dynamic. have scenes with T'Chaka putting young T'challa through some epically gruelling training sessions. (Think Beatrix and Pai Mei, except T'Chaka is more regal,patient and not a d***)

Have Klaw set out to kill T'Chaka as depicted in the comics. Have him set up an alliance with M'Baku, the King of neighbouring Niganda, who has harboured extreme hate and jealousy of T'Chaka and wants to take over Wakanda and everything it offers. T'Chaka goes to a UN conference and brings the family with him. Klaw stages a very well though-out attack, Kills T'Chaka but loses his hand in the process. Ramonda in an effort to shield T-Challa from gunfire takes a bullet to the side of her skull. Though she survives, she enters a deep coma and doctors say she's unlikely to come out of it.

T'challa is wrought with guilt but has to take over the throne as soon as he returns home. At this point he's young, confused and completely overwhelmed with what's happening and doesn't have his fathers wisdom or ability yet. MBaku uses this period of turmoil and grief to launch a full scale attack on Wakanda, with Klaw (fresh with his new sonic-weapon arm) and a bunch of lethal mercenaries from the comics. he stages a coup d'etat at the royal palace and though T-Challa takes out as many men as he can, he is eventually overwhelmed by sheer numbers and gravelly injured and discombobulated by Klaws sonic weapon. He is dragged out into the arena where the annual challenge for the throne of wakanda is held. Here, M'Baku beats a weakened T-Challa to a pulp, jeering and completely humiliating him in the process. M'baku is then declared king by virtue of his 'win'. T-Challa is carried to the borders of the country, thrown beyond it and ordered by royal decree never to return. Broken and bloodied, he walks away wrought with grief and shame.

In an effort to get as far away as possible, T'Challa makes it all the way to Tanzania before collapsing near a small town. He is found by a couple of older women who take him and nurse him back to health with a variety of herbal treatments. These women are the matriarchs of a girls home, an institute for girls abandoned at birth. Over the next 3 yrs, T-Challa gains his strength back, changes his identity and becomes a Physics professor at a university at age 26. To keep himself sane, he delves deep into meditation and intense training. Loses himself into books and learns various forms of martial arts, even inventing some of his own: Muay Thai, Judo, Capoeira, Wing Chun, Musangwe, Wushu,Parkour, Fencing. he opens a mini-dojo in the girls home and plays a sensei to a special group of teenage girls. These girls will grow to become the first iteration of the Dora Milaje.

One day, during an afternoon training session at the dojo, a hooded girl walks in. Its Shuri. It turns out she escaped Wakanda a few months after TChalla was exiled and has been trying to find him since. She begs him to come home with her. T"Challa refuses saying he is no king, he is a disappointment to his father he and believes that Wakanda is much better off without him. Shuri argues otherwise and tells him how Klaw and M'baku have turned Wakanda from a seemingly utopian state into one wrought with greediness, corruption and class warfare. Queen ramonda has apparently woken up from her coma and was being abused at the whims of M'Baku. This along with Shuri's explanation of klaws conspiracy to kill T'Chaka drives him crazy with anger

ALong wiht Shuri and his special group of six trainees, T'challa comes up with a ridiculously elaborate plan to take back the palace, which is currently one of the most heavily fortified places in the world. He goes uber-macgyver, removes the sheath of vibranium from his old panther suit, alloys it with a combination of other metals and builds a variety of weapons(Swords, daggers, vests,batons etc) for himself and his little team. He hacks into remote SHIELD and Stark-tech satellites and routes them over Wakanda to get blueprint images of the palace and just how guarded it it. he spends the next week perfecting his plan and intensifies training.

They make their way to Wakanda, dressed in stealth suits made out of reflective panels put together by T'Challa. They find a weak spot in the Wakandan border, take out the guards there and enter the country. They make their way to the palace virtually unnoticed and then it begins: They start wrecking shop on every guard there. There are at least 80 men guarding this building, and the team is taking them out. T'Challa is rolling through these guys by the dozens in every way possible. hand to hand, gunfire, swordplay. these guys are literally no match for him and Shuri. Its a martial arts tour-de-force from the Panther. he breaks into the panther chamber and he finds his fathers old panther suit, puts it on and then goes back out into battle. Klaw and M'Baku send wave after wave of goons to take them down; no avail. T'Challa and co just keep piling up the bodies while they march up the floors of the palace to the penthouse where Klaw is holed up. he finally makes it up there. Befor klaw can use his sonic arm, T-Challa throws a vibranium sword right though his hand, destroying the weapon. Shuri takes on M'baku and knocks him out.

T'Challa gets on a national PA system of sorts and tells the people to convene at the arena. We cut to the arena and its almost reminiscent of the colosseum. half the cities populace is there, and others who can't make it are at home watching on TV. T'challa walks to the center and pulls off his mask unveiling himself. The crowd goes into shock at the sight of the son of T'Chaka. he tells the crowd his story, and of Klaw and M'Bakus treachery and how they took the throne through dishonor, deceit and murder. The Dora Milaje then march Klaw and Mbaku into the arena and un-cuff them. T-Challa looks at them and officially challenges both of them for the throne. the fight begins, and well, its not close. T'Challa beats the ever-loving s*** out of both of them. They can barely touch him. its a dominant display of skill and superiority. WHile the fight is happening, we see flashbacks to his childhood training sessions with T'Chaka. He's using the same moves his father taught him, in the same sequences against his fathers killers and its awesome to watch. he's fighting out of raw anger and pain and is about to kill them before Queen Ramonda screams and stops him,pleading with him to not stoop to that level. He spares their lives but leaves their bodies completely mangled

T-Challa returns to the throne, there's a huge ceremony celebrating his return. All is well in Wakanda again for the time being. End Scene

Last edited:
^I really like the premise there. In some ways it reminds me of the narrative for Thor's initial film, but there's enough variation that it could be done in a way that separates it.

I do think that your idea is a little lengthy in exposition though and could fall into a similar trap that MoS did, in my opinion. Overall though, it's a really good starting point and I would be excited to see a movie with those ideas in place. The important thing that will set Black Panther apart from other movies is the action sequences & fighting style, so that is one of the aspects I would play up in his solo film. There's a lot of great material for the character, it's just figuring out how to streamline the key character traits in film story-telling.

I don't see them adding Monica Rambeau into MCU, but if they do, I am sure at the top of their list would probably be Kerry Washington and then Rosario Dawson and ummmm.....well, those would probably be Marvel's top two for Monica Rambeau. Also probably top two for Monica Lynne.

I agree that we probably won't be seeing Monica Rambeau any time soon, but I'm choosing to remain hopeful that she'll show up SOMEDAY...even if it's several years from now. Kevin Feige said that these films are mapped out through 2021. And that's just what has been mapped out...hopefully, Disney/Marvel won't be shutting down their studio at that point. Even with new actors eventually taking over key roles, they're still going to need additional characters to continue to flesh out this universe that they have created. I know she won't get her own film, but I'd love to see her have an appearance in an Avengers sequel. Granted, that's still not likely, but I am hoping that the MCU gets more diverse as it expands.

Yes, if they were casting the role now, I'm sure Kerry and Rosario would be atop the wish list. I've thought of them as well...of the two, I think Rosario is more the superhero type. I'm a big fan of Kerry, though, and I could definitely see her in the Monica Lynne role, although I would prefer someone who could actually sing.

That's somewhat out-of-the-box thinking, but I like it! Good actress, great singer...it would be a different type of film for her. There would be the "but Jennifer Hudson is FAT" crowd, but she's actually lost a LOT of weight. Not necessarily an ideal choice, but it would still work for me!

Wow. There's a LOT of exposition in there. But the final fight against both Klaw and M'Baka is nothing short of awesome.

There was this speech about meta-fighting that Black Panther gave Storm. A sonic blast is just another kind of punch, and so incorporating all these other non-weapon weapons into his fighting style is kinda awesome.

I agree that we probably won't be seeing Monica Rambeau any time soon, but I'm choosing to remain hopeful that she'll show up SOMEDAY...even if it's several years from now. Kevin Feige said that these films are mapped out through 2021. And that's just what has been mapped out...hopefully, Disney/Marvel won't be shutting down their studio at that point. Even with new actors eventually taking over key roles, they're still going to need additional characters to continue to flesh out this universe that they have created. I know she won't get her own film, but I'd love to see her have an appearance in an Avengers sequel. Granted, that's still not likely, but I am hoping that the MCU gets more diverse as it expands.

Yes, if they were casting the role now, I'm sure Kerry and Rosario would be atop the wish list. I've thought of them as well...of the two, I think Rosario is more the superhero type. I'm a big fan of Kerry, though, and I could definitely see her in the Monica Lynne role, although I would prefer someone who could actually sing.

Rosario is a big comic book fan. I am sure that there are others, but I think that Rosario and Kerry are at the top of Marvel's list.

Wow. There's a LOT of exposition in there. But the final fight against both Klaw and M'Baka is nothing short of awesome.

There was this speech about meta-fighting that Black Panther gave Storm. A sonic blast is just another kind of punch, and so incorporating all these other non-weapon weapons into his fighting style is kinda awesome.

yeah its a little heavy on the exposition but the idea is to make the audience completely fall in love with T'Challa as a character. Its a very personal and rather painful journey but it pays off in a big way. Its important that his intellect and ability be put on full display.
I took a bit of a cue from the way the Avengers was written. people forget it was actually a dialogue heavy movie for the most part that built up a a crescendo in the third act. Action just feels so much more cathartic when your hero has been completely fleshed out and put through the wringer.

Monica Rambeau - Naomie Harris

Monica Lynne seems quite likely though. Who else would be the love interest? Perhaps they'd do Dora Milaje Okoye and Nakia/Malice, but it seems more likely they'd have an American love interest in there somehow. Kerry Washington and Rosario Dawson are fine choices respectively as well, I think.

Naomie Harris would be a good choice as Monica Rambeau, but scheduling issues may prevent that from happening. Barring a major snag, it's likely that even if Rambeau shows up for Avengers 3, Naomie will be too busy playing Moneypenny in Bond 25.

Hudson would not be a bad choice.

That's somewhat out-of-the-box thinking, but I like it! Good actress, great singer...it would be a different type of film for her. There would be the "but Jennifer Hudson is FAT" crowd, but she's actually lost a LOT of weight. Not necessarily an ideal choice, but it would still work for me!

Thanks. I don't think anyone could call Jennifer Hudson fat currently, and it would require, imho, less acting than she usually gives. It'd be a different film for her in the same way Iron Man was a different film for Jeff Bridges or Gweneth Paltrow.

T"Challa;26654985 said:
yeah its a little heavy on the exposition but the idea is to make the audience completely fall in love with T'Challa as a character. Its a very personal and rather painful journey but it pays off in a big way. Its important that his intellect and ability be put on full display.
I took a bit of a cue from the way the Avengers was written. people forget it was actually a dialogue heavy movie for the most part that built up a a crescendo in the third act. Action just feels so much more cathartic when your hero has been completely fleshed out and put through the wringer.

It still sounds MOS-like. Avengers had a lot of fun on the way there, even the early fights (Iron Man vs Thor, Cap vs Loki) were "fun." That's why people forget it was dialogue heavy because it started with a small fight, then a chase scene, did some badarse intros, quickly gave us two fun fight scenes and *then* started the buildup to the crecendo. That's what helped people fall in love with the characters. The pain comes in the middle, mostly.

There are still a lot of great touches in here, T'challa being the one who is dethroned by Klaw-assisted M'Baka in the beginning is brilliant. But some stuff, his mom's coma, and brutally taking out dozens (hundreds?) of his own people can distract from that core of the story.

Naomie Harris would be a good choice as Monica Rambeau, but scheduling issues may prevent that from happening. Barring a major snag, it's likely that even if Rambeau shows up for Avengers 3, Naomie will be too busy playing Moneypenny in Bond 25.

Hudson would not be a bad choice.

I don't know how much time Moneypenny would take up... or Rambeau for that matter. If she is a Lynne/Storm combo stand in, then she wouldn't really be in Avengers 3 anyway, as that would be Panther's first appearance, and she'd still be non-powered supporting cast in his franchise, kinda like Rhodey for Iron Man.

Rambeau is one of the more powerful superheroines on the avengers roster . It would be nice if she was called up to join them as opposed to being BP's Rhodey. but i'll take a Monica Rambeau in the MCU anyway i can get it.

I feel that, I'm just saying, unless she comes into the movie with powers, or you take time out of the movie to do this separate power storyline for her, she's not going to have powers for Avengers 3. There's a possiblity of linking her turning into energy with Klaw's turning into energy, I guess, but it doesn't seem likely, or a good idea even.

Yeah, that is really bugging me. I wanted him for a couple Marvel and DC characters to be honest.

I think he would have made a pretty good Taku. It's sad to hear about what happened.

Chadwick Boseman is my number one pick right now. Marvel better nab him before he gets cast as cyborg or something lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"